Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 07-23-2009, 04:58 AM   #1
Lokii
Lokii began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
Convert DRM-protected epub to LRF?

Just as the topic says.. I bought an ebook from waterstones.com and I got it on my Sony PRS-700 reader now. However, I would like to have it in LRF format as I like the formatting better (some spacing from the top along with different placement of the page number)..

But is it possible to do with DRM-protected epub books?

Thank you!
Lokii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 05:14 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokii View Post
Just as the topic says.. I bought an ebook from waterstones.com and I got it on my Sony PRS-700 reader now. However, I would like to have it in LRF format as I like the formatting better (some spacing from the top along with different placement of the page number)..

But is it possible to do with DRM-protected epub books?

Thank you!
It's only possible with non-DRM ePUBs. So to do it you'd need to not be inept at removing the Adobe ADEPT DRM. Perhaps eating cabbages would help.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2009, 05:17 AM   #3
halljames
Zealot
halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Apple iPad
I have managed to strip off the DRM from Adobe ePub files and convert them. It involved installing Python 2.6 on my windows machine, installing python crypto things, and obtaining two scripts that allowed you to retrieve the adobe keys, and then convert the book to non drm. This thankfully worked a treat, but only works on books that you have bought yourself as it needs to have adobe digital editions to be logged in with your account so it can obtain the correct license keys.
halljames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 05:24 AM   #4
Lokii

Ive stripped the DRM now, but still havent figured out how to convert the non-drm epub book to LFR..?

Kind Regards
Old 07-23-2009, 05:25 AM   #5
Lokii

Ah, figured it out now Thanks
Advert
Old 07-23-2009, 05:56 AM   #6
Kostas
Still wondering why
Kostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-books

Device: PRS 505, (BlackBerry Bold ?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
So to do it you'd need to not be inept at removing the Adobe ADEPT DRM. Perhaps eating cabbages would help.

Very clever indeed!!
Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:15 AM   #7
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Quote:
It's only possible with non-DRM ePUBs. So to do it you'd need to not be inept at removing the Adobe ADEPT DRM. Perhaps eating cabbages would help.
Okay. I've bought 3 pounds of cabbages and have eaten half of that. Now what?
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:27 AM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
Okay. I've bought 3 pounds of cabbages and have eaten half of that. Now what?
So you could say, "i♥cabbages". Perhaps you should write a blog with that name. Unless someone's beaten you to it....
Old 07-23-2009, 08:39 AM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
So you could say, "i♥cabbages". Perhaps you should write a blog with that name. Unless someone's beaten you to it....
Thanks to Zelda for her kind words. Speaking of blogs, this seems an appropriate time to revive one of my earlier comments:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...080#post413080
Old 07-27-2009, 11:21 PM   #10
Charisma
Charisma began at the beginning.

Device: none
Ok, so I tried inept with a eTextbook and it didn't seem to work. Does anyone know something that will work with a Primus eTextbook (PDF)? Thanks.
Charisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:41 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charisma View Post
Ok, so I tried inept with a eTextbook and it didn't seem to work. Does anyone know something that will work with a Primus eTextbook (PDF)? Thanks.
This is the ePub forum. PDF is off-topic.

And the program used to remove the DRM from ePub does not work with PDF.

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-28-2009 at 01:51 PM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:49 PM   #12
Kostas
Still wondering why
Kostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-books

Device: PRS 505, (BlackBerry Bold ?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charisma View Post
As Jon pointed out, you need another inept tool for DRMed PDFs.
Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:35 PM   #13
RWJ
Zealot
RWJ doesn't litterRWJ doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
This might be the right thread for me. I'm a Sony devotee, but thanks to this site, my belief that pirating books is bad has been matched by my refusal to buy something that I don't really own. I've bought only one Sony book, because of this, and have otherwise stuck to LIT or MOBI that I can convert and read beautifully on the 505. (And have never sent them to anyone else. I'm lousy at lending paper books too!)

So if Sony is switching to ePub, what are the implications for not-terribly-computer-savvy me? Will it still read LIT and MOBI converted via calibre? Will calibre change? (Should this be in the calibre thread?) Will I be able to read all my existing books? Will it be easier to unlock Sony's DRM so I can buy straight from them? (I understand that direct links to DRM stripping aren't allowed here.)

Any tips for reading to get my head around this would be much appreciated.
RWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:13 PM   #14
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWJ View Post
So if Sony is switching to ePub, what are the implications for not-terribly-computer-savvy me? Will it still read LIT and MOBI converted via calibre? Will calibre change? (Should this be in the calibre thread?) Will I be able to read all my existing books? Will it be easier to unlock Sony's DRM so I can buy straight from them? (I understand that direct links to DRM stripping aren't allowed here.)

Any tips for reading to get my head around this would be much appreciated.
Essentially Sony moving to Adobe EPUB is a good thing because they will have a crackable DRM format much like the kindle already has. I am sure many people buy from Amazon as opposed to Sony due to Sony's lrx format not being cracked at this point. BTW Calibre converts to Epub brilliantly, in fact that's prob. what you should be converting those .lits and mobis into.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:01 PM   #15
readingmom
readingmom began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
So is there a way to convert drm epub (that I get from the library) in a format that I can read on my Kindle? Without having to eat the cabbages, thank you very much!
readingmom is offline   Reply With Quote