View Full Version : The Official Motion for Introduction of the Epub Dictionary Format

Abelturd
07-21-2009, 09:04 AM
Dear MobileReaders,

the EPUB industry standard ebook format is on the verge of becoming the predominant format for electronic publishing. This is a turn for the better, because it could resolve the chaotic situation with the myriad of ebook formats out there and make things easier for the publishers and the liseuse manufacturers, and of course for readers.

It has it's shortcomings, though, one of which is the lack of dictionary support.

Admirable initiative addressing this issue has come from Nate the Great, who started work on the tag specification in this -> thread (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47282).

In a different thread I proposed that some official body, it would be best if it was IDPF, should prepare the specification for epub dictionary format and then forward it to the publishers and liseuse manufacturers. We as users can put things in motion. My idea was that we, MR members, roundup our suggestions concerning the epub dictionary format and explicitly state our wish for it to be brought into existence. Kind of a petition, if you like. That's what this thread is for. When we come to a general consensus on the matter, we will forward our ideas to IDPF , who is in a position to act on them.

Please, any ideas, comments, wishes and suggestions on your side are most welcome.

zelda_pinwheel
07-21-2009, 09:20 AM
excellent idea, abelturd ! thank you for doing this. dictionary support is important to a lot of people and it's also a key feature for educational uses, so it seems vital that ipdf should implement the feature as soon as possible.

i would really like to see it happen too for my own use, and i'd like to see it as a standard feature on all liseuses with epub support, including the possibility to use several dictionaries (including different languages and bilingual dictionaries) and get results from all of them.

Jellby
07-21-2009, 09:29 AM
I too want ePUB dictionaries to be a reality, and be easy to use and produce. Now, as for having real suggestions about what the format should be... that's a different story :D

zelda_pinwheel
07-21-2009, 09:31 AM
I too want ePUB dictionaries to be a reality, and be easy to use and produce. Now, as for having real suggestions about what the format should be... that's a different story :D

i think nate's thread has made really good progress on that front. ;)

Abelturd
07-21-2009, 09:39 AM
i think nate's thread has made really good progress on that front. ;)
Exactly, this thread's task is by no means to duplicate Nate's thread, the scope of which is the technical aspect of things.
The main idea of this thread is that as many people as possible express their support for the epub dictionary format. And perhaps give their reasons why they would find it useful and to what use they would put it.

Valloric
07-21-2009, 11:05 AM
The main idea of this thread is that as many people as possible express their support for the epub dictionary format.

I for one fully support this drive for an EPUB dictionary format. We definitely need one.

pdurrant
07-21-2009, 12:59 PM
I for one fully support this drive for an EPUB dictionary format. We definitely need one.

Me too. And software that will use it.

kazbates
07-21-2009, 01:08 PM
As an educator, I can see a great benefit to having Epub dictionary support at all academic levels.

jgray
07-21-2009, 01:19 PM
I've said all along that dictionary support is one of the major deficiencies of epub. Come on IDPF, you have some work to do.

tompe
07-21-2009, 01:22 PM
I've said all along that dictionary support is one of the major deficiencies of epub. Come on IDPF, you have some work to do.

Well, if MobiPocket dictionaries that people want to use were DRM free then it would be very easy to use them. So you can also say that it is DRM that causes the problem.

jgray
07-21-2009, 07:23 PM
Well, if MobiPocket dictionaries that people want to use were DRM free then it would be very easy to use them. So you can also say that it is DRM that causes the problem.

Not quite. An epub reader can't use mobi dictionaries, with or without DRM. There will have to be a new dictionary type defined for epub.

Now, the idea of a multi-format reader that could open an epub ebook and lookup words with a mobi dictionary has occured to me before, but no one has implemented that to my knowledge. It would be a good interim measure and would immediately give that particular device access to the wide variety of mobi dictionaries.

Hey manufacturers - here is a free idea for you. Come on, someone implement it.

Abelturd
07-21-2009, 08:26 PM
Now, the idea of a multi-format reader that could open an epub ebook and lookup words with a mobi dictionary has occured to me before, but no one has implemented that to my knowledge. It would be a good interim measure and would immediately give that particular device access to the wide variety of mobi dictionaries.

There seems to be a problem with licensing, see Bookeen's case. They're going to maintain two firmware versions, because the license doesn't allow them to fit the mobi and the epub support into a single firmware. So mobi is definitely not a good interim solution. I would rather propose open XDXF format as an interim solution until a proper epub dictionary format with drm support is introduced.

AlexBell
07-22-2009, 01:27 AM
Me too. And software that will use it.

I'll third that motion - and I haven't even got an ePub ebook reader yet.

Once we've expressed our support for the idea, what next?

Regards, Alex

Abelturd
07-22-2009, 03:46 AM
If enough people do it, so that we can show IDPF and manufacturers that there's actual need for epub dictionaries, we can ask Hadrien, who's from IDPF, to bring it forward to IDPF or we can contact IDPF directly via email or even snail-mail to give it more credibility, with link to this thread. But if you have a better idea, I'm all ears.
MobileRead has become authority in the world of epublishing. Its chances to incite change are a lot greater than chances of an individual.

Gaurnim
07-22-2009, 04:22 AM
including the possibility to use several dictionaries (including different languages and bilingual dictionaries) and get results from all of them.
I second this, Zelda.
Being able to use several dictionaries is a very interesting feature, for all the people reading or learning to read in more than one language, for academic research, for technical books, ...

I would like to add that we would need to be able to know which dictionary gave which result (for instance, which result comes from my english dictionary and which from my english-french one ?), but this is more a software interface probem I think.

sony_fox
07-22-2009, 07:24 AM
Not quite. An epub reader can't use mobi dictionaries, with or without DRM

Wrong.

Chambers has a free non-DRM mobi sample (A- ABi or so) available from some Mobi sites. Download it, use Calibre to convert to epub. And away you go no problems. OK there's no search which is a PITA, but page guessing works well enough.

Gaurnim
07-22-2009, 07:45 AM
Wrong.

Chambers has a free non-DRM mobi sample (A- ABi or so) available from some Mobi sites. Download it, use Calibre to convert to epub. And away you go no problems. OK there's no search which is a PITA, but page guessing works well enough.
There is also the webster 1913 which is available from here in epub and Mobipocket.

But the main interest of having a dictionnary is your liseuse if being able to search for a word. I won't page-guess through an entire dictionnary just to search for a word. I'll just guess the meaning from the context, it's faster.

Jellby
07-22-2009, 08:14 AM

That's not a "mobi dictionary", that's an ePUB conversion of a mobi (sample) dictionary. And the ePUB does not "behave" like a dictionary (you cannot search or view an entry index). That's what we are talking about.

ahi
07-22-2009, 10:25 AM
How exactly would searching for a word work on a device with no letter keys?

nrapallo
07-22-2009, 11:22 AM

On-screen keyboard, like the iPod Touch, or EBW1150/REB1200. Even the REB1100 had Allegra (http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/REB_1100), an input method similar to Palm’s Graffiti, that allows you to enter text by writing characters onto the screen. If you don’t want to learn it, you can simply use an on-screen keyboard, and if you don’t want to use the stylus, the touch screen also reacts to your fingers, albeit a bit sluggishly.

I think, though, a touchscreen interface is almost a must for the proper use of a dictionary.

mtravellerh
07-22-2009, 11:23 AM
Stanza does feature a lookup dictionary. Anyone aware how they do things?

zelda_pinwheel
07-22-2009, 11:24 AM
the sony 700 also has a soft keyboard which can be used for adding notes and searching the text. it would work perfectly for dictionary lookup. you can also look up a word by selecting the word in the text ; that's how it works on the eb1150.

kaas
07-22-2009, 11:29 AM
I second the motion!
A dictionary is a must have for me and my girlfriend- that is why I bought the Cybook for her...

cheers,

kaas

ahi
07-22-2009, 11:49 AM
On-screen keyboard, like the iPod Touch, or EBW1150/REB1200. Even the REB1100 had

I think, though, a touchscreen interface is almost a must for the proper use of a dictionary.

So... it is not something that will be ever implemented for the Sony PRS-505, or the CyBook, or the Cool-er, or the BeBook.

Is this proposal more with next generation devices in mind? Seeing as how Kindles are not likely to support ePub anytime soon.

- Ahi

zelda_pinwheel
07-22-2009, 11:52 AM
So... it is not something that will be ever implemented for the Sony PRS-505, or the CyBook, or the Cool-er, or the BeBook.

Is this proposal more with next generation devices in mind? Seeing as how Kindles are not likely to support ePub anytime soon.

- Ahi
i would slightly disagree with nick ; a touch-screen interface makes using a dictionary much easier, and it seems crazy to have a touchscreen and *not* integrate dictionary lookup, but it can be done without ; the cybook already has dictionary look up via word selection using the directional pad. no touchscreen, no keyboard. it's possible either way. implementation of it will depend on the software more than the hardware.

jgray
07-22-2009, 11:53 AM

The Ebookwise I used to have had a touch screen. You didn't enter a word, you tapped on a word that was already on the screen. My jetBook uses the arrow keys to highlight a word. Press OK and up pops the definition. It works rather well, considering the limited interface.

The problem I have with the jetBook dictionary is that it is somewhat small. Ectaco also stuffed several translation dictionaries into the device, which limits the number of words in the English-English dictionary.

I wish Ectaco would allow the use of mobi dictionaries. This would open the device up to a much better selection of dictionaries. Yes, epub dictionaries would be even better, but we don't have those yet.

jgray
07-22-2009, 11:56 AM

See my post above. Any reader with navigation keys can do the same. Zelda says the Cybook already does this, so that makes at least two current readers that support dictionaries with this method.

ahi
07-22-2009, 11:57 AM
Thanks, Zelda and JGray!

But how practical is it to have every in-dictionary word on a given page highlighted and selectable, without a touch-screen?

There can easily be as many as 200 words (or more) on a 6 inch page. What if I want to look up a word in the middle of that page? Am I to press the left or down button 100 times?

If it is a dictionary for rare and foreign terms, it ought to be more feasible, I suppose. But if it is a foreign language dictionary, or a general one, can it really be made viable without a touch-screen or a physical keyboard?

- Ahi

nrapallo
07-22-2009, 11:58 AM
i would slightly disagree with nick ; a touch-screen interface makes using a dictionary much easier, and it seems crazy to have a touchscreen and *not* integrate dictionary lookup, but it can be done without ; the cybook already has dictionary look up via word selection using the directional pad. no touchscreen, no keyboard. it's possible either way. implementation of it will depend on the software more than the hardware.

I stand corrected! :)

jgray
07-22-2009, 12:00 PM
Two dimensions, not one. Down to the line you want, over to the word, press OK.

zelda_pinwheel
07-22-2009, 12:08 PM
Thanks, Zelda and JGray!

But how practical is it to have every in-dictionary word on a given page highlighted and selectable, without a touch-screen?

There can easily be as many as 200 words (or more) on a 6 inch page. What if I want to look up a word in the middle of that page? Am I to press the left or down button 100 times?

If it is a dictionary for rare and foreign terms, it ought to be more feasible, I suppose. But if it is a foreign language dictionary, or a general one, can it really be made viable without a touch-screen or a physical keyboard?

- Ahi
this is why i think it's much easier to implement with a touchscreen, since you can just tap the word you want to look up (eb1150 method) or enter it via a keyboard (sony 700 search method) ; but :
Two dimensions, not one. Down to the line you want, over to the word, press OK.
that's how it works on the cybook. somewhat more laborious, but still nothing near 200 keypresses to navigate to one word !

ahi
07-22-2009, 12:08 PM
Two dimensions, one one. Down to the line you want, over to the word, press OK.

About 15 clicks then.

And, assuming people are smart enough to find the shortest way to getting to their word, an average of 8 clicks to get to the right word on a 23 line 9 word/line page.

If they are not smart enough to find the shortest way, they may be clicking as many as 30 times to get to words at the bottom of the page.

I suppose this is tolerable--but I don't see myself being able to put up with it.

Touchpad with word-poking for dictionary look-ups sounds delightful though!

- Ahi

Ps.: Fewer clicks, if common words like "the", "a", "an", "for", "you", "with", et al are explicitly excluded from being highlighted. But that would only be reasonable for a single language dictionary... and not always even for that.

zelda_pinwheel
07-22-2009, 12:11 PM
About 15 clicks then.

And, assuming people are smart enough to find the shortest way to getting to their word, an average of 8 clicks to get to the right word on a 23 line 9 word/line page.

If they are not smart enough to find the shortest way, they may be clicking as many as 30 times to get to words at the bottom of the page.

I suppose this is tolerable--but I don't see myself being able to put up with it.

Touchpad with word-poking for dictionary look-ups sounds delightful though!

- Ahi
don't forget that for instance bookeen has now implemented key-repeat ; you can click *once*, hold the key, and the cursor will skip down the lines until you release. then press to go sideways and allow it to skip along to your word. i agree with you, personally ; i find it a bit laborious to use this method. but nonetheless it's not so laborious as you think, and can be improved (with key repeat, for example).

but obviously the touchscreen word-poking method is much faster and easier. ;) it's one of my favourite features of the eb1150.

ahi
07-22-2009, 12:14 PM
don't forget that for instance bookeen has now implemented key-repeat ; you can click *once*, hold the key, and the cursor will skip down the lines until you release. then press to go sideways and allow it to skip along to your word. i agree with you, personally ; i find it a bit laborious to use this method. but nonetheless it's not so laborious as you think, and can be improved (with key repeat, for example).

Does bookeen have keys with better tactile feedback than my beloved but imperfect Sony PRS-505?

- Ahi

zelda_pinwheel
07-22-2009, 12:16 PM
Does bookeen have keys with better tactile feedback than my beloved but imperfect Sony PRS-505?

- Ahi

i don't have enough experience with a 505 to know. :o perhaps someone else can reply. but i have tested the key-repeat on the cybook gen3 and it works quite well.

Abelturd
07-22-2009, 01:35 PM
First thing: look -> here <- (http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=208304#208304) for an example of a well thought out user interface for dictionary lookup, it even supports search for words you type in. All that with the very limited UI of netronix eb-100(600), which is basically Cybook.
Dictionary lookup on cybook takes up to 15 button pushes. But cybook's lookup interface is very basic and user unfriendly, but this could be easily relieved by putting some invention in the UI design.
In the future I assume that most, if not all liseuses, will have a touchscreen interface with the capability of onscreen keyboard. And that will make dictionary lookup very straightforward and, above all, FAST. I can see it on my touchscreen PDA, one tap to lookup the word, another tap to return to the book.

ahi
07-22-2009, 01:46 PM
First thing: look -> here <- (http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=208304#208304) for an example of a well thought out user interface for dictionary lookup, it even supports search for words you type in. All that with the very limited UI of netronix eb-100(600), which is basically Cybook.
Dictionary lookup on cybook takes up to 15 button pushes. But cybook's lookup interface is very basic and user unfriendly, but this could be easily relieved by putting some invention in the UI design.
In the future I assume that most, if not all liseuses, will have a touchscreen interface with the capability of onscreen keyboard. And that will make dictionary lookup very straightforward and, above all, FAST. I can see it on my touchscreen PDA, one tap to lookup the word, another tap to return to the book.

Good to see my math is reasonably on the mark. And yeah, I agree that touchscreens seem to be the way to go.

Do people on the Cybook find themselves using the dictionaries a lot though, despite the onerous button pressing to get to words?

- Ahi

Abelturd
07-22-2009, 01:54 PM
Good to see my math is reasonably on the mark. And yeah, I agree that touchscreens seem to be the way to go.

Do people on the Cybook find themselves using the dictionaries a lot though, despite the onerous button pressing to get to words?

- Ahi
I can speak only for myself, but the answer is NO. The interface is so bad, slow, cumbersome for me that I rather use mobi dictionary on my pda. I have to type the word in, but there's always autocomplete and all in all it's faster this way than to push the buttons for your life on cybook.

nrapallo
07-22-2009, 02:04 PM
On-screen keyboard, like the iPod Touch, or EBW1150/REB1200. Even the REB1100 had

Thought you might want to see what my REB1200 on-screen keyboard looks like:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=69&pictureid=687

The triangle tab at the bottom allows the keyboard to retract to see the underneath text and to deploy if I tap it again!

p.s. the attached image below shows what iPod Touch users see only when they have to type something...

ahi
07-22-2009, 02:14 PM
I can speak only for myself, but the answer is NO. The interface is so bad, slow, cumbersome for me that I rather use mobi dictionary on my pda. I have to type the word in, but there's always autocomplete and all in all it's faster this way than to push the buttons for your life on cybook.

That's what I thought. :(

How many clicks away do you think would still tolerable to use? If any.

- Ahi

Sparrow
07-22-2009, 02:27 PM
I use the CyBook dictionary lookup and don't find it cumbersome personally.

What is awkward is when a word could have several meanings - the Cybook shows a list of the word, but no indication why you would select one of the choices over any of the others. So it's pot luck.

ahi
07-22-2009, 02:35 PM
I use the CyBook dictionary lookup and don't find it cumbersome personally.

What is awkward is when a word could have several meanings - the Cybook shows a list of the word, but no indication why you would select one of the choices over any of the others. So it's pot luck.

And would you also agree the 5-15 clicks is what words generally take to select with a general dictionary on a reasonably full page?

- Ahi

Sparrow
07-22-2009, 02:37 PM
And would you also agree the 5-15 clicks is what words generally take to select with a general dictionary on a reasonably full page?

- Ahi

I'd say 10 was about average - depends on the font size.

Abelturd
07-22-2009, 02:40 PM
That's what I thought. :(

How many clicks away do you think would still tolerable to use? If any.

- Ahi

Adding a dedicated button for entering the lookup mode would help, keeping the ability to turn pages in lookup mode (e.g. with the +/- buttons). Saving the last position of the cursor. Speeding up the cursor navigation on the page via some ingenious solution - e.g. spliting the page into 3 areas, so you first choose the area and then you go after the individual word, using a special menu for this etc. Always with effectivity in mind.
Or using the key repeat function with increasing speed of cursor movement depending on how long you hold the button.
If the word wasn't found to display the closest match.
Though with touchscreen interface the whole process could be reduced to TWO taps, as I've already said.

ahi
07-22-2009, 02:57 PM
Thanks, everybody! I'll stop steering this thread off course.

Good luck with this endeavour! I look forward to its fabulous fruits.

- Ahi

montsnmags
07-22-2009, 10:16 PM
I know I've said this before, but user-selected/purchased dictionary lookup from within the read text (and down the track, encyclopaedia-lookup) is an essential feature for me. Without it, I would abandon ebooks altogether, as other benefits are not of significant enough value to me to abandon pbooks.

As such, I thank Abelturd raising the motion, and then others for seconding, thirding, fourthing...eleventying it, and add my own. :)

HarryT
07-23-2009, 02:46 AM

- Ahi

Yes, a heck of a lot - and personally I don't find the interface to be "onerous" at all.

Gaurnim
07-23-2009, 03:39 AM
I find it works pretty well considering the limitations of the device's physical interface. Sure it could be improved to be faster and more user-friendly, but I find it perfectly usable in this implementation.

joedevon
07-23-2009, 12:03 PM
I was just in a Fry's and an Asian girl who was interested in improving her English was looking at a few different E-Readers (I was trying to steer her to my beloved 505 ;) ). The killer feature for her was a built in dictionary.

This is a great idea!

Sparrow
07-23-2009, 12:14 PM
Yes, a heck of a lot - and personally I don't find the interface to be "onerous" at all.

How about when it presents a list of alternatives?

I don't know how to choose the one I want - so it's a lucky dip. Am I doing it wrong?

Just went to get an example, using the Chambers dictionary - looking up the word 'male' produces a pop-up window:

male
male

which one do I select? :chinscratch:

Jellby
07-23-2009, 12:21 PM
Just went to get an example, using the Chambers dictionary - looking up the word 'male' produces a pop-up window:

male
male

which one do I select? :chinscratch:

The first one. Then, once you are in the dictionary you can page forward if the first definition does not match the text.

Sparrow
07-23-2009, 12:28 PM
The first one. Then, once you are in the dictionary you can page forward if the first definition does not match the text.

Yep, but it might as well take me to the first one straightaway, without imposing the additional thumb trauma. :)

Jellby
07-23-2009, 01:06 PM
Yep, but it might as well take me to the first one straightaway, without imposing the additional thumb trauma. :)

It's worse when there are matches from several dictionaries, then you'd know that one "male" is from the Chambers dictionary and the other is from Collins, but which is which?

Sometimes the menu does not have the same word, I guess if you look "lay" up, you'd get to choose between "lay" and "lie", at least...

But this is getting :offtopic:

kaan
07-26-2009, 11:52 AM
I would love to have several dictionary's in ePUB.
Please make it support UTF-8 or other international character sets.

Hmmm. Maybe even a couple of encyclopaedias :bookworm:

DaleDe
07-27-2009, 12:58 PM
It's worse when there are matches from several dictionaries, then you'd know that one "male" is from the Chambers dictionary and the other is from Collins, but which is which?

Sometimes the menu does not have the same word, I guess if you look "lay" up, you'd get to choose between "lay" and "lie", at least...

But this is getting :offtopic:

Yes it is getting off topic. However a second topic could be appropriate for making dictionary access better. There are lots of good techniques to streamline the process without requiring a touch screen (Amazon K1 just looked up all the words on a line requiring only selecting a line of text) but again the idea of a dictionary for ePUB is an important first step. Not all the problems with using it have to be solved before it can be implemented. I believe it is a serious oversight not to have defined it earlier.

Dale

JSWolf
08-02-2009, 11:30 AM
Sony may be having ePub dictionary look-up with the new 600. If so, all that needs be done is for Sony to license their approach to all the other reader makes using ADE and voila.

wallcraft
08-02-2009, 11:39 AM
Sony may be having ePub dictionary look-up with the new 600. It is going to be interesting to see what format they are using for the dictionary. One of the advantages of built-in dictionaries is that they don't need DRM, and so could be in any suitable format.

jgray
08-02-2009, 09:27 PM
These proprietary approaches to incorporating a dictionary (jetBook and Sony?) are fine as a stopgap measure. However, I hope Sony does not license their method to anyone (assuming that the 600 actually has a dictionary). We don't need more Balkanization in ebookdom. What we need is for the IDPF to do something about a standardized method of implementing dictionaries for epub. This has two major advantages over proprietary implementations: it will be an open standard that doesn't require licensing; you won't be limited to a few dictionaries, as everyone would be able to make or sell a compatible dictionary.

JSWolf
08-03-2009, 03:53 AM
These proprietary approaches to incorporating a dictionary (jetBook and Sony?) are fine as a stopgap measure. However, I hope Sony does not license their method to anyone (assuming that the 600 actually has a dictionary). We don't need more Balkanization in ebookdom. What we need is for the IDPF to do something about a standardized method of implementing dictionaries for epub. This has two major advantages over proprietary implementations: it will be an open standard that doesn't require licensing; you won't be limited to a few dictionaries, as everyone would be able to make or sell a compatible dictionary.
Even if it is a proprietary method for dictionaries, I would hope that Sony would at some point publish the dictionary format so others can make dictionaries. But at this point, all we have is speculation until the 600 is released.

Valloric
08-03-2009, 07:49 AM
We don't need more Balkanization in ebookdom

Just FYI, people from the Balkans find this term pretty offensive.

jgray
08-03-2009, 01:05 PM
Just FYI, people from the Balkans find this term pretty offensive.

No offense was intended. However, if I had to figure out which words were offensive in every part of the world, I would never be able to write anything. The term balkanization was used and is used by all the major news agencies, analysts, politicians, etc. to refer to a fragmentation. If it's good enough for them, I don't see why I can't use the term. Being overly "politically correct" stifles the free exchange of ideas.

BTW, I know some words in Spanish that are acceptable in Mexico, but are considered obscene in Spain. Should I not use those words when speaking to someone from Mexico?

Valloric
12-09-2009, 09:09 AM
I just wanted to point out to people who are not following the IDPF issue tracker that dictionary support seems to be going places (http://www.daisy.org/epub/issues/specification-needed-dictionaries-and-other-reference-works). This is slowly restoring my confidence in the IDPF. We really need dictionary support.

lmarie
12-29-2009, 09:04 PM
I use the dictionary all the time on my Cybook. Still, I wish it were touchscreen, like my EB1150. MUCH easier. Guess we still can't have it all... ;)

I won't go with the Cybook epub firmware until there is dictionary support.