Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 06-22-2009, 01:05 AM   #1
anirudh215
anirudh215 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Transfer of images on text files

I have many science books which I would like to read on my kindle 2. However, when I convert my books which are in PDF format using Calibre, I do not get any of the images. It is very difficult to do geometry without being able to refer to the images. So do you know any method to get my books on there exactly as I see them on the computer or close to that?
anirudh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:25 AM   #2
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
If I were in your shoes, I'd probably try PDFread to convert to PRC format, which should result in output that looks just about exactly like the original PDF. I think the tradeoffs will be that you'll lose dictionary support and searchability, and have larger file sizes.

You could also try Amazon's Kindle PDF conversion service, or the PDF converter in the MobiPocket creator, but I'm not sure you'd get better results than with calibre.

There are some similar tools that I like even better, like PDFLRF, but that won't give you output directly usable on your Kindle. (I suppose you could use PDFLRF and then use calibre to convert the LRF to a .mobi, however.)
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2009, 09:28 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Try Windows MobiPocket Reader, which imports PDF and exports MOBI (usually in My Documents\My eBooks). This is a similar conversion to that done by Amazon if you e-mail them a PDF.

Sometimes images still cause problems, so an alternative is to convert each page to a couple of images. See for example PDFRead 1.8 released!.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote