View Full Version : Can't install?

KCoram
03-31-2003, 05:40 PM
Has anyone else run into problems installing iSiloX under Windows 2000?

When I double-click the installer, I get a dialog about it extracting its files, but then it just closes without doing anything. The part that is supposed to ask me where I want to install never runs! I've tried looking for the temporary files that were extracted, to see if I could manually install, but the installer seems to be deleting them as it exits. (Which it should, but only after installing!)

I'd really like to give iSilo and iSiloX a good trial, but I can't get started! :(

KCoram
04-02-2003, 11:29 PM
Well, I still don't know why the installer isn't running on my Win2K box, but I figured out a work-around. I started the installer on my WinME box at home, and while the installer was waiting for my input, I found the temp directory where it had extracted iSiloX. I zipped that up and copied it over to my Win2K box and viola ... an apparently working iSiloX program on my primary computer.

Now to convert a bunch of pages and do my own comparisons against Handstory and Plucker :)

Alexander Turcic
04-03-2003, 01:27 AM
Sorry we didn't come up with a solution. Never had probs on my Win 2k box. Glad you found a way, though :)

KCoram
04-03-2003, 12:36 PM
The only thing I'm missing out on is the IE integration the latest beta has. I guess I'm not quite a dedicated enough hacker to figure out how to get that in if the installer doesn't work. Ah well.

Can I fake it using the command-line isiloxc, I wonder .... ? Because I'm really thinking iSilo can replace Handstory and Plucker for me, if only I could find an easy way to "clip" the web page I'm currently viewing the way I can with Handstory .

Alexander Turcic
04-03-2003, 12:38 PM
KCoram, do you have any anti-virus app installed? I am still not sure why the installer does not work properly for you. Try to run the install without any other application (including any anti-virus programs). If it still doesn't start, I suggest that you get in contact with the iSilo developer. He is usually very responsive.

KCoram
04-04-2003, 10:37 AM
Well, I've tried disabling my anti=virus software, ConfigSafe, and everything else in my system tray, and it still doesn't work for me. I just sent an e-mail to the iSilo developer. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

KCoram
04-08-2003, 03:31 PM
I've been in contact with iSilo's developer. He spent a significant amount of time last Friday sending me installers that output logging messages, to try to track down the problem I was having. We haven't found the error (yet?), but definite kudos to him for working with me on it.

While I never got the installer to work right, in the course of things I did learn how to install manually once we'd gotten the files extracted to a temporary directory. This let me get iSiloX, with the IE clipper, installed on my machine anyway.

Having purchased HandStory, I wasn't sure if I wanted to also purchase iSilo, but you've got to appreciate that kind of responsive support from a developer. So, I made sure to register iSilo ASAP.

Of course, now that I've used iSilo and iSiloX more, I think I would have purchased it anyway -- I find it is a much better web clipper than HandStory and Plucker after all is said and done.

kennethmgreen
06-01-2003, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by KCoram
This let me get iSiloX, with the IE clipper, installed on my machine anyway.
.... Care to post how you got this to work? I'd love to be able to get the IE clipper working myself.

KCoram
06-02-2003, 10:30 AM
The iSiloX setup program for beta3 did all the work for setting up the IE clipper. I didn't have to do anything special for that.

My only problem was getting the setup program to run at all on my computer. There's something very, very odd about my computer I think ...

- KC