Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 06-15-2009, 10:15 AM   #1
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Is this format OK for my Sony PRS-505?

Hi everybody,
I live in Argentina and have a US-bought Sony PRS-505 upgraded to the latest (Sony) Firmware.
My reader is not authorized for the Sony Store.
I am looking for the book "Project Orion" by George Dyson, and found that Diesel books is selling it for less than $9.
The details are as follows:

Format Adobe Digital Editions
Encrypted Yes
Sku 0141885351
ISBN 9780141885353
File size 2072 KB
Security n/a
Printing Not allowed
Copying Not allowed
Read aloud No
Sys Requirments PC/Mac (desktop & laptop) computers
Devices Sony Reader PRS-505

If I buy this book, what are the steps to be able to read it in my Reader?
I've never delt with DRMed books before, I've only used LRF, ePUB and pdf.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:26 PM   #2
Momo_Germany
Connoisseur
Momo_Germany began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3 (great!!) +DX, Sony PRS-505,-700,-600 (dislike!), iPad
Hi Pablo!

Yes, this format is fine for the Sony Reader PRS-505. It's either epub with DRM or pdf with DRM (I couldn't find out which of them it is).

First of all: make sure that you have installed Adobe Digital Editions and that you've authorized it for your Computer and your ebook Reader with the same email-address.

Then, having bought the book, you'll have to Download it from your personal account at the bookstore. Chose "Open with Adobe Digital Editions" when pressing the Download-button. Then ADE will open itself and the book will be downloaded to your ADE-bookshelf.

Having connected your reader with your computer, you can move it via ADE to your reader and afterwards move it with the Sony ebook library into one of your collections if any.

Hope you will make it, sorry for my bad English, greetings from Germany to Argentina,
Momo
Momo_Germany is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2009, 01:16 PM   #3
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you very much for your help Momo. I will buy the book and give it a try.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:14 PM   #4
Momo_Germany
Connoisseur
Momo_Germany began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3 (great!!) +DX, Sony PRS-505,-700,-600 (dislike!), iPad
You are welcome, Pablo! Let us know how it worked!

Greetings, Momo
Momo_Germany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:18 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Yes it will work, will you enjoy it? Probably not as it's PDF, And PDF reflow is not all that wonderful.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2009, 06:57 PM   #6
Pablo
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes it will work, will you enjoy it? Probably not as it's PDF, And PDF reflow is not all that wonderful.
Finally I installed The eBook Library software (I use Calibre to transfer my books to the reader) and Adobe Digital Editions, created an account for ADE, authorized my PC and my Sony Reader and downloaded a test file ("This side of Paradise" by F. Scott Fitzgerald) and transferred it to my reader (with ADE, and put it in a collection with Calibre).

Everything worked ok, except that before all this I had 4 photographs in "Pictures" and now I have 3 additional images (the covers from "This side of Paradise", from the PRS-505 User Manual and from Don Quijote). These images look awful, apart from the fact that I don't want them there. In fact, they are not there, I looked with Windows Explorer and in the \database\media\images directory I could only find the original photos. Somehow this process has altered some index file.

BTW, "This side of Paradise" is formatted with huge margins that make it unreadable in the smallest font, and if I enlarge to M the result is really awful, to the point that I would not enjoy reading it at all. Now I am afraid, as Jon has pointed out, that if I buy "Project Orion" I will have the same problem.

Any ideas?
Old 07-17-2009, 11:54 PM   #7
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
Is "This side of paradise" an epub file? you might be able to change the margins by editing the CSS.
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote