View Full Version : Best way to view/convert scanned PDFs?

enarchay
05-27-2009, 06:28 AM
What's the best way to view scanned books in PDF format on an ereader?

I have one scanned book in PDF form, and there are big left and right margins, so I thought this might be contributing to how much it downsizes on an ereader. I tried to fix this by cropping the pages in Nitro PDF, but even after cropping, the margins still appeared on the ereader - even though they don't appear on my computer's Adobe reader. I think this is because the ereader has to display certain dimensions - and I don't know how to change the page dimensions of the PDF.

Anyway, what is the best way to view scanned-book PDFs on an ereader, and what can I do to fix the specific book I mentioned so that it views better?

Thanks.

=X=
05-27-2009, 05:37 PM
If it's a scanned PDF (image based) there are several solutions PaperCrop, PDFLRF, and PDFRead.

PaperCrop (http://jupiter.kaist.ac.kr/~taesoo/projects/paperCrop/index_eng.html) is my favorite, imaged base reflow, customizable crop. Only outputs (PNG, JPG, TIFF, or PDF)

PDFLRF is no longer on MobileRead you'll have to torrent it. Only produced LRF but makes the BEST LRF

PDFRead (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21906): Supports the most devices (IMP, MOBI, LRF). But the LRF does not look very good.

=X=

Jill75
05-28-2009, 10:45 PM
What's the best way to view scanned books in PDF format on an ereader?

I have one scanned book in PDF form, and there are big left and right margins, so I thought this might be contributing to how much it downsizes on an ereader. I tried to fix this by cropping the pages in Nitro PDF, but even after cropping, the margins still appeared on the ereader - even though they don't appear on my computer's Adobe reader. I think this is because the ereader has to display certain dimensions - and I don't know how to change the page dimensions of the PDF.

Anyway, what is the best way to view scanned-book PDFs on an ereader, and what can I do to fix the specific book I mentioned so that it views better?

Thanks.

What e Reader do you have?

enarchay
05-29-2009, 01:38 AM
What e Reader do you have?

Sony PRS-505.

frabjous
05-29-2009, 07:14 PM
A strong second for PDFLRF for this kind of job. If you can't find it, let me know, and I'll send you a link.

enarchay
05-29-2009, 07:31 PM
A strong second for PDFLRF for this kind of job. If you can't find it, let me know, and I'll send you a link.

I couldn't find it.