View Full Version : Trouble activating MS Reader

Elfwreck
05-23-2009, 09:33 PM
Decided I should break down & install MS reader so I can get freebie Harlequin romances (from the normal site, not the 17 freebies for their 60th anniversary).

It's not working.

Steps:
--Go to eHarlequin.com. Put books in cart. Click "checkout."
--It says I have to install/activate MS Reader. Click link.
--Download Reader. Install.
--Open. Click "Activate."
--It tells me my browser doesn't support activation.
--Dither for a bit, before copying URL into Internet Explorer 6 instead of Firefox.
--It demands a "passport."
--Create MS Passport account. Agree to several who-knows-what TOS's that have nothing to do with ebooks.
--Login with Passport account.
--Click "Activate" again.
--Says I need ActiveX something-or-other, but doesn't tell me how to install it.
--Close several windows; re-open & attempt again.
--Says I need ActiveX again. This time, IE pops up a "download blocked!" bar, that asks if I want to install ActiveX. Yes, I suppose I do.
--Click "Activate" again.
--It gives me a short, quick Progress bar, and after about 20 seconds, it says "Activation components have been successfully downloaded to your device and installed."
--Go back to eHarlequin. Logout. Log in. Click "check out."
--It says I need to activate Reader to get MS Lit books.
--Repeat several aspects of this, several times.

What am I doing wrong?

ETA: Nevermind. Nowhere at eHarlequin does it indicate you must use Internet Explorer to download MS Lit ebooks. Activate, yes. Download, no.

No wonder ebooks are a niche market; the DRM "security" features are beyond ridiculous.

Nate the great
05-23-2009, 09:36 PM
Before you went back to the site, did you restart your computer?

AnemicOak
05-23-2009, 09:46 PM
ETA: Nevermind. Nowhere at eHarlequin does it indicate you must use Internet Explorer to download MS Lit ebooks. Activate, yes. Download, no.

No wonder ebooks are a niche market; the DRM "security" features are beyond ridiculous.

Yep, all DRM is a PITA. I had the same problem when I first started downloading LITs. It's the only thing I use IE for.

Elfwreck
05-23-2009, 10:39 PM
Before you went back to the site, did you restart your computer?

Found the problem: Harlequin's idiot message "you have not activated Microsoft Reader" will happen on any non-IE browser; they don't know how to tell the difference between "your browser won't work for this download" and "your computer doesn't allow this download." :smack:

koland
05-28-2009, 04:59 PM
I can't activate Reader at all - the activation server is apparently down (what, they have only one?). Support said to try again after 24 hours ....

Let's see, I can read it in ereader format now, on the kindle in seconds, but MS wants me to activate the reader, but has a 24 hour wait for the server to _maybe_ come back online and let me do so.

zerospinboson
05-29-2009, 08:57 AM
I can't activate Reader at all - the activation server is apparently down (what, they have only one?). Support said to try again after 24 hours ....

Let's see, I can read it in ereader format now, on the kindle in seconds, but MS wants me to activate the reader, but has a 24 hour wait for the server to _maybe_ come back online and let me do so.
Same here. :angry: