05-21-2009, 12:16 AM
Help with Calibre
I've downloaded a lit formatted book (Baens' Universe vol1num1) and I used the GUI to edit meta info individually, and added formats in the formats box. Sees it here no prob.
Then when I close the summary in the bottom shows formats: "none".
Go back to edit meta info - and formats have disappeared! :eek:
All of my books are currently from Baen - no DRM. Please help - just learning the software this week.
Tried re downloading figuring it got corrupted but.... and my old Cybook Gen 1
can read it.... dang frustrating. Got a new Sony 505 - makes my old Cybook look - well - old and big!
Really would appreciate a pointer
I did open a ticket in Calibre but the file was too big to upload it so the ticket got closed.
05-21-2009, 02:31 AM
I think I've seen something similar happen when I changed some authors names once. But the formats aren't gone. Just exit Calibre and restart; they should show back up. If you can reproduce the bug reliably, though, be sure to post how here.
05-23-2009, 06:47 PM
Nope - that didn't work. I've rebooted, closed open, installed the last update...
Still no formats available. I redo and redo. I know the files are still there, have no problem seeing them in the interface and "adding" them in. But it won't stick. So it won't transfser open. Some of the books are multiple authors or a short story magazine. So I did have the author as the magazine name. But on other books with one author - a good isbn - found the cover... still won't add it in. one or two did work. Most are in PRC format. Some are in RTF but I know those won't add. I'll get around to converting those later. But I wanted the PRC to go to ePub. And I thought Calibre will do that. Sorry for the ramble - just frustrated this week. I've had one of those...- network stopped, overwrote a workfile by accident with an earlier version...
05-23-2009, 06:56 PM
I have seen that once or twice. When it happens the only recourse seems to be to delete the book entry from Calibre, and then create a new one. It seems a bit sporadic as I have not seen any pattern to when it happens.
05-23-2009, 08:56 PM
That worked - Thanks itimpi!
its tedious work I have to add each one in - 35 books did not hold the format. But it did work and once I get this puppy organized.... I'll be a happy camper/reader
05-23-2009, 09:00 PM
Glad you got it working, and glad I'm not the only one who has seen this bug. Calibre just gets confused sometimes.
05-23-2009, 10:49 PM
If you want try doing the following.
Copy all the authors folders that are having that issue somewhere else on your computer.
Then through Calibre select "Remove Books" and delete them all.
Once that is done go to "Add Books" and select option 2 (One book per directory, assume every book file is the same book in different format.
You should be able to do a bacth re-import that way.
05-25-2009, 12:21 AM
Colaveare - you make a good point that bears repeating... don't let Calibre have your master copy... Keep that separate - did that. I'm an OLD gamer that long ago learned save/play/die/go back.
That said I did want to poke back in and give an update. Not all the books worked, and it took forever. 3-4 minutes each book. The problem - my knee jerk need to keep all my "stuff" on a redundancy/backedup NAS drive. As soon as I really watch how the software was "coughing" so to speak I realized it may be timing out. Moved my (duplicated) books folder to my local hard drive. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! OK gang - Calibre don't like playing across networks. All the formats registered. Most converted nicely to EPub (the few may be corrupted - old). I'm a happy camper. Downloaded all my Bean's Universe mags converted and ready to go on the SD for my Sony... Tedious - but I am a bit an...
Now if only I could convince Goodkind to release his books to a Sony format...
05-25-2009, 12:30 PM
Elsewhere in the forums I heard the same thing. Calibre responds poorly with files located on NAS drives. I believe this will be corrected in v0.6.
06-11-2009, 04:34 AM
This happened to me tonight... I edited the metadata for each book showing "Format: None" and used the + sign button to add a new format, basically the original file I had for the book. It works, a little better than deleting and reloading the book.