View Full Version : Best Way to Convert Bundles

Sydney's Mom
05-20-2009, 02:51 PM
I have some bundles of books in PDF format (no DRM). I usually convert them for my kindle with mobicreator, because Calibre was not working right (kept page numbers and author name on every page). Hyphenation is kinda funky, but readable.

But I would like to break the books up, instead of converting the whole bundle as is (usually 6 books). I do not have Adobe professional. What would be the best was to break a PDF file into pieces, and then convert it for my kindle?

Thanks,
Debra

ilovejedd
05-20-2009, 03:06 PM
pdftk can do this (split PDFs) I think. Alas, command-line only, I believe.

Sydney's Mom
05-20-2009, 03:15 PM
pdftk can do this (split PDFs) I think. Alas, command-line only, I believe.

Sorry for my stupidity - what is pdftk?

Leep
05-20-2009, 03:26 PM
CutePDF Professional (unlimited trial) software will allow you to delete or extract pages from any pdf. Friendly to use free software

cheers

Sydney's Mom
05-20-2009, 03:43 PM
Thanks! I have that at work, and know how to use it.

Sydney's Mom
05-21-2009, 11:44 AM
Well, it certainly is just me, but I won't be splitting up anymore bundles. It was too much work. I couldn't figure out how to cut and paste, so I ended up deleting exerything except the book I wanted, one at a time. It ended up taking most of the game. Of course, if I hadn't been drinking Mike's Hard Lemonade and the Cubs hadn't been dropping their second in a row to hated St. Louis, it probably would have gone better.

daffy4u
05-21-2009, 11:49 AM
Well, it certainly is just me, but I won't be splitting up anymore bundles. It was too much work. I couldn't figure out how to cut and paste, so I ended up deleting exerything except the book I wanted, one at a time. It ended up taking most of the game. Of course, if I hadn't been drinking Mike's Hard Lemonade and the Cubs hadn't been dropping their second in a row to hated St. Louis, it probably would have gone better.

It would have been simpler just to print each book section to a new PDF. For instance, you have a 100 page pdf with 4 books. In CutePDF, click the print button and print pages 1-25 as a new CutePDF, then print pages 26-50, then 51-75 and 76-100. Re-name each new PDF with the name of the book and you're good to go. :)

Sydney's Mom
05-21-2009, 11:52 AM
Of course. Thanks daffy. Amazing how much easier it is with coffee, compared with alcohol.

Jellby
05-21-2009, 12:10 PM
Sorry for my stupidity - what is pdftk?

It's just a little free program: http://www.accesspdf.com/pdftk/

Elfwreck
05-21-2009, 12:24 PM
Are they ebooks you can freely share? I wouldn't mind separating out individual books from a bundle & sending them back to you. (Wouldn't mind doing it fairly regularly as long as it's not constant. Splitting a big PDF into ~6 pieces wouldn't take me more than a couple of minutes.)

Another potential option is to convert them to HTML, either with one of the free programs that's available, or by gmailing it to yourself & opening it in Google's HTML view, and then splitting that into pieces. (Since I'm pretty much worthless at HTML, I'd wind up copy-pasting the entire contents into Word, and splitting from there.)

JSWolf
05-21-2009, 01:23 PM
:offtopic: The Red Sox can take the Cubs with the farm team. :rofl:

Sydney's Mom
05-21-2009, 02:43 PM
:offtopic: The Red Sox can take the Cubs with the farm team. :rofl:

Here is the first email I sent out today at work (to a Card's fan, a Red Sox fan and a Yankee's fan)

For Sale:

Large Cubs "W" Flag. Rarely used. Will trade for team loyalty.

I bought it last September. It looks like new.

Sydney's Mom
05-21-2009, 02:46 PM
Are they ebooks you can freely share? I wouldn't mind separating out individual books from a bundle & sending them back to you. (Wouldn't mind doing it fairly regularly as long as it's not constant. Splitting a big PDF into ~6 pieces wouldn't take me more than a couple of minutes.)

Another potential option is to convert them to HTML, either with one of the free programs that's available, or by gmailing it to yourself & opening it in Google's HTML view, and then splitting that into pieces. (Since I'm pretty much worthless at HTML, I'd wind up copy-pasting the entire contents into Word, and splitting from there.)

Thanks Elfwreck, but I am one of those people who has to do it myself. I married an electrical engineer, and I no longer get to do the electrical work around the house (I only started one small fire:o).

raneeq
06-12-2009, 12:04 AM
I know a good software to split one flie to many pdf files.
here is a tutorial to show you step by step. however it is not free. you can have a try at
http://www.anypdftools.com/tutorials/how-to-split-a-pdf-into-a-multiple-pdf.html#153

Hope it helps!