View Full Version : Editing recommendation needed

Skydog
05-12-2009, 12:28 AM
As somewhat of a "newbie" I have found the amount of information here overwhelming but extremely helpful. That said, what would you recommend as an editing tool(s) to correct errors resulting from converting .pdf => .prc? Specifically, I would like to correct the lack of page breaks/numbering between chapters that was lost in the conversions. Eventually, I would like to learn more.

I've been using Calibre and MobiCreator for the conversions as well as mobi2mobi to correct metadata.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

HarryT
05-12-2009, 08:19 AM
I find "Book Designer" to be the best editing tool by far. When you've finished editing, re-export the book as HTML for Calibre, Mobi Creator, or whatever.

=X=
05-12-2009, 12:57 PM
As somewhat of a "newbie" I have found the amount of information here overwhelming but extremely helpful. That said, what would you recommend as an editing tool(s) to correct errors resulting from converting .pdf => .prc? Specifically, I would like to correct the lack of page breaks/numbering between chapters that was lost in the conversions. Eventually, I would like to learn more.

I've been using Calibre and MobiCreator for the conversions as well as mobi2mobi to correct metadata.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Personally I think using the best solution out there. MobiCreator and calibre is the best way to go. MobiCreator is the best free PDF parser out there, and I'm not aware of a better commercial PDF solution out there.

The only step I do differently from you, is to use BookCreator (link) (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28313)to touch up the final book. (e.g. Adding Table of content inserting manual page breaks, font changes, etc...)
I usually import this HTML to BookCreator by copy and pasting.

If you wish to preserver page numbers and
You might want to use cxpdfhtml (http://talkings.org/2009/05/03/complex-pdf-html/) a long with the xml file produced by MobiCreator. (You can find the xml file in the Publication path ( the path can be found in "Settings|Publication Preferences|Default folder" --Default folder is a text box)

=X=

Skydog
05-12-2009, 01:14 PM
I find "Book Designer" to be the best editing tool by far. When you've finished editing, re-export the book as HTML for Calibre, Mobi Creator, or whatever.

Thank you for your suggestion, Harry. I will give it a try.

-Patricia

Skydog
05-12-2009, 01:47 PM
=X=,

Many thanks for providing detailed information and options. It's obvious to me that I need to do some studying ;)

The cxpdfhtml script was unknown to me, but the links you've provided are very helpful as I need to edit tech pubs as well as books.

So much to learn...

-Patricia

chrisophus
05-14-2009, 06:12 PM
I am the creator of cxpdfhtml, so if you post questions/requests here I will try to answer them. As far as chapter page breaks, there are options in Calibre to do that. Since I can generally get equal to better results from cxpdfhtml over MobiCreator, then I use the html file it generates in Calibre.