View Full Version : CHM to EPUB using Calibre

Kiz
05-11-2009, 10:09 AM
Hi,

Excellent Forum, only recently got my reader and this site has been great.

I have a Sony PRS-505 and I'm using Calibre to convert files I have to EPUB.

I am in the process of trying to convert a CHM to EPUB.

I've extracted the HTML and created a TOC html file. However, when I convert the book to EPUB not all the text seems to appear. It's difficult to explain in words, but say chapter 1 requires 5 pages on the ebook, then I can see the first page, then the reader skips to page 6 which is blanks then page 7 is the start of the next chapter...

I can see the complete book in the EPUB viewer in Calibre, however the Sony Ebook library viewer displays the same as the reader.

I've converted the book to LRF format, but this doesn't seem to format the book as well as EPUB.

Any help / tips would be appreciated.

Kiz

kovidgoyal
05-11-2009, 04:09 PM
this is likely happening because the text is in non reflowable elements in the html like <pre> or <table> that the reader can't handle

Kiz
05-12-2009, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the response. Yes the text is all in a Table format, on all pages (200 files!).

Is editing the HTML the only work around? I may have to stick with LRF format...

P.S Excellent product...

kovidgoyal
05-12-2009, 10:41 AM
use the linearize tables option

p0rt3r
04-20-2010, 11:27 AM
Hi all,

I created an ePub from chm and it worked just fine seemingly, but after a few pages of reading I discovered following problem:

Although the ePub is correct from the sides, if the original chm page was longer as my iRiver can display, it simply crops the bottom even if it`s a half the page size.

My question would be, can we set Calibre to break pages to the same size or do something about creating pages with very different length?

Any help is welcome.

kovidgoyal
04-21-2010, 07:28 AM
Use the linearize tables option.

p0rt3r
04-23-2010, 02:57 PM
Sir,

thank you it worked. I really appreciate you helping me on this matter.

Calibre is an excellent software and I understand your commitment to knowledge making it available free for everybody.

Respectfully,

Zoltan Balazs

Siddharth.Shetye
04-26-2010, 02:26 PM
Use the linearize tables option.

Hi Kovid,

I signed up to send you this message. 1st off, awesome s/w !! Makes my ipad so much more useful.

Secondly, could you rename the linearize table option to something more simple? Or at least have a small sentence saying when to turn it on (eg "Enable if your book skips pages into the next chapter") ?

Cheers
Sid

findmory
05-03-2010, 12:28 PM
All other formats working fine, but when I try to convert CHMs I get similar errors:

ERROR: Conversion Error: <b>Failed</b>: Convert book 1 of 1 (KeePass Password Safe Help)

Convert book 1 of 1 (

InputFormatPlugin: CHM Input running
<snip>

Is this a permissions problem? there is no folder: calibre_0.6.50_jyvkz3_chm2oeb in my appData path.

kovidgoyal
05-03-2010, 01:06 PM
you need to update to 0.6.51

findmory
05-03-2010, 07:34 PM
yes that was it! thanks so much

veug
05-14-2010, 04:50 PM
When I try to convert CHM file, I get an error:
AttributeError: 'HTMLInput' object has no attribute '_is_case_sensitive'

Thanks

techie42
05-14-2010, 08:47 PM
When I try to convert CHM file, I get an error:
AttributeError: 'HTMLInput' object has no attribute '_is_case_sensitive'

Thanks

I'm having the same problem.

kovidgoyal
05-14-2010, 11:12 PM
that is a regression in 0.6.52 will be fixed in the next release

raffdoc
07-28-2010, 12:22 PM
Hello Kovid
I have tried but chm to epub noway! Can you give some more tips?

pholy
07-28-2010, 04:18 PM
@ raffdoc -- I wouldn't want to speak for Kovid...

But I'd bet he would like a lot more details about your problem... what you want to do, what errors you get, what doesn't look right to you....

some hints...

raffdoc
08-03-2010, 02:33 PM
The converter seems to me working fine for TOC, but after some let's say 20 pages there is no content, and whet I opened on epub editor , really there is nothing! I tried to convert the chm to html but without success. Thanks by the way for answer!

Smila81
01-24-2011, 12:39 PM
The converter seems to me working fine for TOC, but after some let's say 20 pages there is no content, and whet I opened on epub editor , really there is nothing! I tried to convert the chm to html but without success. Thanks by the way for answer!

Hi, I'm new here. Nice to meet you all!

I have the same problem as raffdoc. Calibre nicely did the convert (thank you!!!), and I can view the index of my book, but beyond that there are just hundreds of blank pages with no content. I have tried the linearise tables option (mentioned in previous posts), but this did not improve matters. I look forward to hearing from someone soon!

:thanks:

ruiz
08-10-2011, 05:12 PM
I tried to convert a few books with success, but some others ends in the same, "cannot convert error" is there something I have to check in my files?

Toxaris
08-11-2011, 02:02 AM
if automatic conversion does not work, you can always extract the HTML from the CHM and create an e-book from it manually... Otherwise, post the error in the Calibre forum or tracker with examples. Perhaps Kovid and Co and find the problem and solve it.