View Full Version : Kindle DX Forum, Yes/No?

daffy4u
05-07-2009, 11:57 AM
Will or should the Kindle DX have its own forum (as the Sony 700 does) since it's a separate and new line?

DesiLinguist
05-07-2009, 12:00 PM
I would vote yes because I ordered a DX but to be fair, it sort of depends on whether the differences between the two Kindles are actually as large as the differences between the two Sony Readers.

wallcraft
05-07-2009, 01:38 PM
What is new about the KDX is PDFs. Everything else is on a continuum from the K1 through the K2 to the KDX. Whispernet is the same, the Kindle store is the same, TOPAZ and AZW are the same, managing accounts is the same. So I suggest leaving Amazon Kindle as one big forum.

daffy4u
05-07-2009, 01:43 PM
What is new about the KDX is PDFs. Everything else is on a continuum from the K1 through the K2 to the KDX. Whispernet is the same, the Kindle store is the same, TOPAZ and AZW are the same, managing accounts is the same. So I suggest leaving Amazon Kindle as one big forum.

What is considered a major difference between the 505 and the 700 besides the touch screen?

wallcraft
05-07-2009, 01:53 PM
What is considered a major difference between the 505 and the 700 besides the touch screen? I don't know of any. Based on that criteria - the KDX's larger screen is a major difference, and I suppose it is the largest difference to the K2. I just don't see how that makes it a separate forum. I would say the same about the PRS-700, although I don't follow the Sony forums closely.

JSWolf
05-07-2009, 05:55 PM
I would suggest a sub forum off of the Kindle forum for the DX.

DaleDe
05-07-2009, 08:53 PM
What is considered a major difference between the 505 and the 700 besides the touch screen?

Well the touch screen means that things operate differently and different features are present and the firmware is not compatible resulting in different problems. The UI is totally different. PDF is different, zooming is present on the 700, Search is present but not on any other device, 5 fonts sizes is different, there is an on screen keyboard, notes, and there are other subtle differences. Of course there is also the lamp. Even so it could be a subforum of Sony devices without much loss.

Dale

Gideon
05-07-2009, 09:34 PM
I don't see any reason to split the info. Issues KDX users will have are not going to be sufficient, most likely, to create a new forum for it.

If for some reason that changes, a new forum can be created then.

Zorz
01-22-2010, 03:07 AM
Most of all the info will apply to all 4 kindle units, as the software is the same. I know especially in the Kindle Dev section most hacks or mods made for the DX can be easily applied to the K2i and vice versa.

Over
01-22-2010, 03:48 AM
I guess a new sub-forum wouldn't hurt.

daffy4u
01-22-2010, 11:39 AM
This is an old thread and I'm no longer pushing for a new sub-forum. There are so many new devices that it going to be difficult to maneuver with too many forums. All Kindles staying together is working just fine. :)

HarryT
01-22-2010, 01:09 PM
It is now our preference to use tags, rather than sub-fora, to separate multiple devices within a single forum. This works well.

daffy4u
01-22-2010, 01:25 PM
It is now our preference to use tags, rather than sub-fora, to separate multiple devices within a single forum. This works well.

Not my preference. :)

nrapallo
01-22-2010, 01:40 PM

Not my preference. :)

Harry, I think you meant thread "prefixes"... :whistle:

Don't know if that distinction would change daffy4u's response though as she probably read "prefixes" in place of "tags" anyways. :smack: :snicker:

daffy4u
01-22-2010, 02:44 PM
Harry, I think you meant thread "prefixes"... :whistle:

Don't know if that distinction would change daffy4u's response though as she probably read "prefixes" in place of "tags" anyways. :smack: :snicker:

I'm not fond of either as an "only" option. :)

Jellby
01-22-2010, 02:54 PM
Wouldn't it be great if each user could choose to display each division as a prefix or as a subforum?

bookwormfjl
01-23-2010, 06:26 PM
I vote yes!

littlestar
06-01-2011, 01:16 AM
I vote yes. we need a new section for kindle dx. plea.....se!

JSWolf
06-01-2011, 10:42 AM
All you really need is a prefix of Kindle DX for the thread.

littlestar
06-08-2011, 12:05 AM
All you really need is a prefix of Kindle DX for the thread.

What do you mean?

montsnmags
06-08-2011, 04:45 AM
What do you mean?

As an example, if you look in the Sony Forum:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=100

you can see that many threads have a "prefix" before their topic name to indicate what they're about. You can see ones for "PRS-350", "PRS-650", "PRS-505" & "PRS-950".

The NOOK forum:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=209

has some showing for their models the "Classic", "Touch" and "Colour".

At the top of these forums, you will then see a little "pull-down" menu for filtering and sorting, and the first one lets you filter for a specific prefix.

These prefixes have to be set up by Moderators, but are then selected by the user when they create their new thread (though Moderators can also add them to the thread after the fact too).

So, what Jon is suggesting is adding a prefix for the "DX".

Cheers,
Marc

littlestar
06-09-2011, 02:05 AM
thanks