View Full Version : Converting epub to other formats

garygibsonsf
05-06-2009, 11:25 AM
Are there any tools out there of the easily obtainable variety that allow for the conversion of an epub file to other formats, other than Calibre and Stanza? Calibre gives me blank output, and Stanza loses all the formatting.

dauwhe
05-06-2009, 11:35 AM
Have you checked your ePub with ePubCheck? (http://code.google.com/p/epubcheck/)

If there's a problem with the ePub source that might trip up the conversion tools.

Dave

JSWolf
05-06-2009, 11:36 AM
It sounds like the ePub is DRM infected. I've never seen or heard of Calibre having an issue like that with DRM free ePub.

wallcraft
05-06-2009, 11:37 AM
You could try Windows MobiPocket Reader (or Creator). It will convert ePub to MOBI. Usually Calibre does a better job. Also, you might get different results using Calibre's command line options such as any2mobi. If you don't want MOBI, Calibre can then convert this to whatever you want.

If the ePub displays ok in Adobe Digital Editions and Calibre fails to convert it, then I suggest filing a bug report with Calibre. These typically get fixed very quickly.

garygibsonsf
05-06-2009, 11:49 AM
Nope, it's not drm - it doesn't have any; the Mobipocket Creator sounds worth checking out. Thanks!

JSWolf
05-06-2009, 11:52 AM
Is this ePub one you can legally link or attach here?

garygibsonsf
05-06-2009, 01:25 PM
It's the 'What Price Liberty' epub book by Ben Wilson that's been discussed recently in the forums. You can pick your own price to pay for it. I actually tried again just now to convert it and actually had some success, except now it comes out with all - or at least most - of the paragraphs made into hanging indents, which looks distinctly weird.