View Full Version : The Present - The Future

Alexander Turcic
03-26-2003, 01:00 PM
Well, as you can see, our forum underwent a massive face-lift. We hope that you like it.

But we don't want to stop here. Visual changes are nice, but they not enough.

Our forum has grown to almost 900 members now within just a couple of months. We think that this makes a very good community base.

At the same time, our iSilo Web Channel Collection (http://www.turcic.com/palm.shtml) has been a great success! The numbers of downloads speak for themselves:
[list=1] WCC Folder - 4209 downloads
WCC Ram - 1377 downloads
WCC VFS - 2277 downloads[/list=1]And now it is the time to expand the board with new sections that are related to mobile content.

In this post we give you some options to poll what you would like to see in the future.

But this should by no means restrict you from telling us - your ideas- of what we could add to our community. On the contrary.

Please give us your input, so we can make this here the truely #1 place for mobile content.

The Turcic.com Team

Agrajag
03-26-2003, 02:09 PM
I'd like a see a Support section for iSilo(x) that Darren takes part in.

Alexander Turcic
03-26-2003, 02:50 PM
If Darren agrees... no problem on my part.

kizer
03-26-2003, 02:56 PM
Hmm, maybe a pda/wireless template of the forum unless Im just blind and its already up a . ;)

I used to visit the old forum with my wireless device, but now with its small screen size it makes it rather difficult with all the images.

The new forum does look awesome by the way on my PC. ;)

Alexander Turcic
03-26-2003, 02:59 PM
Kizer thanks :) I will definitely bring a mobile forum again. Will keep you updated.

You can try to download the Archive (http://www.turcic.com/forums/archive/), or just the New Links (http://www.turcic.com/forums/forumdisplay/f-4.html) section of it, with iSiloX in the meantime. It requires some cookie settings though. If you like I can post instruction for that.

PiK
03-26-2003, 03:02 PM
Expanded Plucker support would be great. Otherwise, thanks for all the hard work!

Paul

Alexander Turcic
03-26-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by PiK
Expanded Plucker support would be great. Otherwise, thanks for all the hard work!

Paul

Plucker is very powerful, but can also be quite complex. If I find a capable person who runs the Plucker section (Hacker, hint hint! :p), I will open for it.

daught
03-26-2003, 03:27 PM
Greetings. I'd be interested in an Apple Macintosh OS forum related to eBook Reader software, including the use of iSoloX and Plucker (especially in OS X).

bookrats
03-26-2003, 04:28 PM
Honestly, I'm quite pleased with the board as is. THank you for all of the hard work!

daught
03-26-2003, 04:42 PM
Greetings. Would there be enough interest to add an Acrobat Reader for Palm OS forum? I am excited about the potential of this application, but I have had irregular success using this it (especially in Mac OS X version). The Adobe's user forum on this product is poorly attended.

Gary

emceephd
03-26-2003, 05:05 PM
I think Alexander does a great job on our behalf. Keep up the good work.

BasilC
03-26-2003, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by daught
Greetings. Would there be enough interest to add an Acrobat Reader for Palm OS forum? I am excited about the potential of this application, but I have had irregular success using this it (especially in Mac OS X version). The Adobe's user forum on this product is poorly attended.

Gary

As regards Acrobat, what I would value is some instructions on how to convert pdf documents into a format which can be used by something more user friendly than Acrobat Reader for Palm - eg iSilo, HandStory, WordSmith etc. Acrobat Reader for Palm does a good job of replicating the original documents when they include images, but it is so slow moving from page to page.

As for new subjects, well, I think Acrobat Reader would be a good one, but I'd rather the forums didn't get too big - it would take too long monitoring them all! What I'm still eagerly awaiting is some instructions for dummies on how to use Script Clips in HandStory - they look potentially very powerful, but my attempts to write scripts have all been abject failures.

Anyway, congratulations, Alexander. A fine piece of work. (By the way, whereabouts in Switzerland do you live? It's our favourite holiday destiination)

KCoram
03-26-2003, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Alexander
Plucker is very powerful, but can also be quite complex. If I find a capable person who runs the Plucker section (Hacker, hint hint! :p), I will open for it.
I use Plucker, as well as HandStory. You might call me a hacker, but only if you're talking Old School style!

I don't have the time to moderate a forum, but I'm happy to answer the questions I can as I have time to.

daught
03-26-2003, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by BasilC
As regards Acrobat, what I would value is some instructions on how to convert pdf documents into a format which can be used by something more user friendly than Acrobat Reader for Palm - eg iSilo, HandStory, WordSmith etc.

OK, I agree that I can't keep track of my involvement in too many forums, but BasilC tipped my thinking to another good possibility...last one, promise! I'd love to see a good forum on WordSmith. I am aware of a YahooGroup dedicated to WordSmith, but I don't like YahooGroups message and posting interface, and I just can't stand the ad annoyance.

I don't know how many of you use WordSmith, but IMHO I think the broad range of WordSmith's capability, including advanced word processing, doc reading and expansion card access, definitely brings it under the general emphasis of turic.com forums. I am a new user of WordSmith on my Palm m500, and I know I have not begun to scratch the surface of WordSmith's capabilities. I have a keyboard for my Palm, and I'd like to start using it much more with my Palm and WordSmith for writing, etc.

In any event, I 'second' the round of effusive praise going to Alexander for giving this board a real punch. Thanks!

Gary

Alex
03-27-2003, 12:49 AM
Hi,

I'm very happy with iSilo and the WCC, it grows really fast.
I use a Handera330 and its not so easy to find good applications
for 240x320.
The only problem that I see, when a page changes the layout,
or cancels the mobile or textonly content at all.
An up to date "broken link" section is very helpfull - it's up to us users to keep this information active.

regards
Alex

Trucido
03-27-2003, 02:48 AM
What abount starting a Ebook section since Isilo is not only a great ENews reader but an superb EBook reader!

Alexander Turcic
03-27-2003, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by Alex
The only problem that I see, when a page changes the layout,
or cancels the mobile or textonly content at all.
An up to date "broken link" section is very helpfull - it's up to us
users to keep this information active.

Check http://www.turcic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=5 :) Everyone is free to post non-working links there and we will try to fix it.

Alexander Turcic
03-27-2003, 10:57 AM
So currently it looks like we will definitely add a dedicated ebook section. I was thinking of the following divisions:

eBook Section
-------------------
1. Free eBooks Links
2. Pay eBooks Links
3. eBooks (Books) Recommendation/Discussion

What do you think? Anything I should/could change or add?

BTW: To the other voters, don't worry, the poll is not over yet, and I will definitely add another popular section as well.

gvtexas
03-27-2003, 11:11 AM
3. eBooks (Books) Recommendation/DiscussioneBook section will be very cool...so long as we don't get people posting the actual eBook files (potential copyright problem).

By "discussion" do we mean discussion of eBook CONTENT or discussion of eBook reader software/hardware? Seems like the intent is to discuss thoughts after reading the content, more than any tech issues.

We would then, hopefully, push the discussion of iSilo vs. HandStory vs. PRP, etc. to another category...or we could add a fourth section for these hardware/software discussions relating specifically to eBook usage.

Alexander Turcic
03-28-2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by BasilC
Anyway, congratulations, Alexander. A fine piece of work. (By the way, whereabouts in Switzerland do you live? It's our favourite holiday destiination)

I live in Zurich. Glad you like the Swiss mountains as much as I do :)

Alexander Turcic
03-28-2003, 11:47 AM
Glad to announce that the eBook Section (http://www.turcic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=23) is open!

Happy reading :)

The Turcic.com Team

macrotor
03-29-2003, 04:35 AM
It seems we need something of a CLI (command line interface) section for iSiloXC. This is where people would post hints and tutorials on linking iSiloXC with sitescooper, cron, and other command-line tools. For those that are interested, I'm trying to compile the pdf2html code in order to be able to convert PDFs to iSilo. Almost there...

Jim

Alexander Turcic
03-29-2003, 06:34 AM
Jim, this fits nicely into the new e-book section. Want to pin a topic there on how to convert documents from various formats (such as PDF) to iSilo/Plucker/Handstory.

Trucido
03-30-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by macrotor
It seems we need something of a CLI (command line interface) section for iSiloXC. This is where people would post hints and tutorials on linking iSiloXC with sitescooper, cron, and other command-line tools. For those that are interested, I'm trying to compile the pdf2html code in order to be able to convert PDFs to iSilo. Almost there...

Jim

There are acually PDF2HTML converters running either as GUI or Commandline. Tried some of them but the results are never really that good. However appreciate your effort:D

fribriz
03-30-2003, 10:11 PM
Keep up the good work with this forum.

dillon65
03-31-2003, 02:22 PM
When I first came to this world of isilo, it was a bit rough on basic knowledge. I would like to see a section for new comers how when and where. This would stop all bottle necking of grow to this particluar forum.

For example go up on brighthand, and you will understand what I mean. Humans are like sheep, and at times we tend to get lost, one sheep follows the next, and so on.

Only a suggestion, don't condem me!

dillon65

archituz
04-08-2003, 08:57 PM
Alexander,

This forum is a great, carefully planned and delightfully helpful resource. I love my Handera 330 and iSilo and beta v 3.3.5-b2's ability to schedule conversions. And I especially like your site lists, tutorials and the like-- all so generously provided.

I do have some suggetsions for additional forums and tutorials-- I'll formulate my thoughts and write again.

Marty

cbeaman
05-27-2003, 02:58 PM
I have really enjoyed reading the posts, especially the new links. I have posted a couple of my own; I hope they've been helpful to other users.

My activity on most discussion boards is just to lurk, picking up what I can when I can. I'm not very conversant online. Perhaps the new policies will draw me out a bit ;) -- In the past few days I've contributed more than on any board in a very long time.

As for new stuff ... Hmm .. I'm sure that once the the next version is officially released, I'll be curious about the new features (I haven't d/l'ed the beta), how to setup for auto d/l'ing my morning news, etc.

Isilo's a great program. I'm very glad I'm running it instead of Avantgo (major memory hog!). With IsiloX, I'm able to have current, up-to-date reading material available to me whenever I'm standing in line or sitting in a waiting room.

Keep up the good work. I'll keep stopping by and contributing when I can. Hopefully I can post a few more links before the next compilation.

cb

jwy
05-27-2003, 09:53 PM
yup
i'm still new to all this clipping stuff and so on...

jwy
05-27-2003, 09:54 PM
nice to meet u guys!

qBb
05-28-2003, 05:05 AM
Do you know of a way to support WCC on symbian-operated phone/pdas? Particularly Sony Ericssons? I know someone who's upgraded from palm to an all-singing all-dancing phone and who is having similar news channel withdrawal symptoms. Also on a Mac.

Alexander Turcic
05-30-2003, 06:11 PM
Well the only thing I can think of is that you use WCC with iSiloX as a huge database for browseable mobile links. In iSiloX, you can fetch the url of each site and use that url for your symbian phone.

Btw, you can vote for which handheld/phone Darren should support iSilo in future, here:

http://www.isilo.com/Survey/PlatformSurvey.mv

Greets!
Alex

Zire
05-31-2003, 03:47 AM
Hey,

I would like a general palm/pocket pc topic. I would post their quite frequently. Maybe not even go to www.visorcentral.com.

Saud
05-31-2003, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by qBb
Do you know of a way to support WCC on symbian-operated phone/pdas? Particularly Sony Ericssons? I know someone who's upgraded from palm to an all-singing all-dancing phone and who is having similar news channel withdrawal symptoms. Also on a Mac.

How about Mobipocket? it has a nice enews section

I know there is no support for having custom channels... im not a coder.... but I have created my own custom enews channels.. I can create custom direct enews (not scripted, thats something I did not perfect yet) ..

if you have couple of favourites.. i can help out

regards

Hammer
06-13-2003, 09:34 PM
i think for the moment its fine. let the forum settle down a bit b4 the next range of changes

qBb
06-16-2003, 02:46 AM
Thanks Saud - I was asking on behalf of my partner, who was given the phone, that's how I got the Tungsten :) I'll pass on your suggestion - thanks again.

KenpoJudge
07-12-2003, 07:39 PM
Would it be possible to create a document containing screenshots of documents which have been investigated and configured for iSilo?

Alexander Turcic
07-12-2003, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by KenpoJudge
Would it be possible to create a document containing screenshots of documents which have been investigated and configured for iSilo? Sounds like an excellent idea - but also requires some work. Would you be willing to help?

Cheers!
Alex

KenpoJudge
07-13-2003, 12:50 PM
Sounds like an excellent idea - but also requires some work. Would you be willing to help?

Actually, that was a good motivation for me to finally set up the Palm Simulator...

I realize that creating images for the existing sites will take a long time, but it might be nice for new submissions. I'll be happy to help anyone who needs to know how to get screenshots.

The ones attached to this message took about 5 minutes (including install of the Simulators!)

http://judge.t35.com:8000/images/iSilo/accuweather.gif

http://judge.t35.com:8000/images/iSilo/accuweather clie.gif

Alexander Turcic
07-13-2003, 01:33 PM
Very beautiful screenshots indeed :p

Few weeks ago I started going over the current WCC list (v1.10) to remove the dead links, to fix broken links, and to add new ones. Unfortunately (well, fortunately for me), my vacation came into the way. I suggest that as soon as the new WCC list is out, we can think of how to organize some people to create the screenshots.

Btw, I suggest you upload the screenshots using the attach file function of this forum. This way we can ensure the images will remain intact in case you change the current image location.

KenpoJudge
07-13-2003, 03:08 PM
Very beautiful screenshots indeed :p
Btw, I suggest you upload the screenshots using the attach file function of this forum. This way we can ensure the images will remain intact in case you change the current image location.

Well, how would I post two screenshots in one message that way? :)

Those images will be around for a very long time - don't worry.

brahamt
07-14-2003, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by KenpoJudge
Actually, that was a good motivation for me to finally set up the Palm Simulator...

I realize that creating images for the existing sites will take a long time, but it might be nice for new submissions. I'll be happy to help anyone who needs to know how to get screenshots.

The ones attached to this message took about 5 minutes (including install of the Simulators!)

Where did you get the simulator for the Clie? I used to use one for my Palm so I can get an idea if something will work or not on the palm before I install it. But since I got a Clie, I have not found where I can get one.

Thanks in advance.

Alexander Turcic
07-14-2003, 07:18 AM
Not sure if KenpoJudge used this one, but you can get a Clie Simulator from here (http://www.cliedeveloper.com/develop_tool/simulator.html).

brahamt
07-14-2003, 07:34 AM
Alexander, you are too cool. Thanks a million. I have been looking for this for a while.

Thank you.

JSRunnels
07-22-2003, 01:43 PM
You can try to download the Archive (http://www.turcic.com/forums/archive/), or just the New Links (http://www.turcic.com/forums/forumdisplay/f-4.html) section of it, with iSiloX in the meantime. It requires some cookie settings though. If you like I can post instruction for that.

I would definately be intersted in having this...

Thanks.
Jessica