Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 04-18-2009, 04:27 AM   #1
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
Creating TOC

I have some PDF files that don't have bookmarks for Table of Contents. I created those in Acrobat Professional 9.0 and these bookmarks don't show up at all on the Sony PRS-700. The Sony reads the file as if it had no Table of Contents. They do show up when I open the PDF on my Mac. What am I doing wrong?
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 03:46 PM   #2
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
Okay, so I solved my own problem 12 hours after I realised this was a problem. *GASP* *SIGH*. This is what I get for being obsessive. I was unwilling to let go of the problem (thus sacrificing time I had allotted to grade student papers etc.).

I. The Issue

I had created PDF bookmarks to serve as Table of Contents. These bookmarks were not showing up on the Sony as the Table of Contents. In fact, they were nowhere to be found. Usually, if there is a Table of Contents, I can press the "Option" key and a "Table of Contents" link will come up in the subsequent box.

II. The Problem & Solution

Sony PRS-700 only read PDF bookmarks of a certain kind. Under Acrobat Professional 9 (and previous versions) you can create at least two type of bookmarks.
a. First type bookmark (Type A) whose action is "Go to a page in this document" and then you type in the page number you want the link to go to. Sony does not recognise this type of bookmark.

b. Second type of bookmark (Type B) whose action is "Go to a page number in this document" and then you indicate it by linking it to a pre-existing "Named Destination".

This means that prior to creating the bookmarks, you need to mark the destinations and name them. These will appear as "Destinations" under the Navigation Panel in the View menu. Sony does recognise this type of bookmark as "Table of Contents". If you want to know how to create these "Destinations" refer to the help system that is part of Acrobat Professional. It's too long for me to explain although it's not complicated at all.
In terms of what the end-user sees, bookmark "Type A" and bookmark "Type B" produce exactly the same results. But, again, Sony PRS-700 only recognise "Type B" as "Table of Contents".

"Type A" bookmark is simpler and faster to create. The PRS-700 is a bit inane in this regards but at least now I can continue editing my PDF books and have the Table of Contents show up.

But first...to grade student papers and do some paper book reading.
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2010, 10:21 PM   #3
sybarite
sybarite began at the beginning.

Device: nokia 6220c
Where shown TOC in calibre? can we use and see TOC in calibre ? or this is useful only in devices after conversion?
i see TOC only in equb formats .
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 04:21 PM   #4
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
I have something that might help. Concerning tables of contents in PDFs, I don't rely on the table of contents feature in my reader. Instead, I insert a table of contents at the beginning of my ebooks when appropriate.

I use StarOffice to make my PDFs. When formatting my ebooks I mark the chapter headings with a style (something like "Chapter Heading"). Then I use StarOffice's table of contents feature to insert a table of contents at the beginning of my ebook. It includes the page number where each chapter begins. When I want to go to a chapter I just go to the beginning of the ebook and punch in the page number for the chapter I want.

An advantage of this is that if I want to take my ebook to a reader with a different sized screen, all I have to do is reformat the ebook and then update the table to contents to reflect the correct page numbers. It also allows me to do multiple level entries in my table of contents (such as parts and then chapters within the parts).
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote