View Full Version : ePub 3 reader - AZARDI with samples

richardigp
04-04-2009, 11:31 AM
Infogrid Pacific have made a major feature update release to AZARDI, the reference ePub Reader with Release 2. It remain a strict ePub reader, but AZARDI now contains a full ePub Package checker and a component editor.

That means from your desktop you can open a book, conformance check the package, edit the XHTML files, CSS, and OPF package files, save your changes and with one click, repackage the book and be reading in only seconds, all in a single desktop environment. Download AZARDI Release 2 (http://www.infogridpacific.com/igp/AZARDI/) here. For more information read the FAQ page (http://www.infogridpacific.com/igp/AZARDI/AZARDI%20-%20FAQs/) here and the Blog post (http://infogridpacific.typepad.com/using_epub/2009/04/azardi-release-2-now-it-reads-checks-edits-repackages.html) here.

The problem with any highly specified file+zip packaged format, like ePub, is that even the smallest defect or change means going back through the packaging process. Add to this that the competent tools currently available for checking (the Online epubcheck service) are a bit opaque and you don't really know whats going on. AZARDI not only lists its specific package checks, it gives a detailed printable report that includes full file statistics. In future versions the quantity and detail of the checks will increase, especially for more advanced ePub books. AZARDI doesn't give specific recommendations for file size and devices because devices and their capabilities will continue to change and we don't want our validation locked into any specific platform. The detailed file reports let you decide if any resource is too large for your target reader.

We made ePub publishing/republishing as easy as it can be with eScape (ODT to ePub Packager), but only if you formatted your book using the eScape methods in the first place. For those who use manual techniques or other production systems, unzipping the file, making manual changes, and then repackaging in the right sequence is just a bit tedious. To bring a bit of fun back into optimizing your ePubs, or making those last little tweaks to the CSS, you now have the option of using AZARDI Release 2.

cerement
04-04-2009, 01:41 PM
[note: Windows only, no Mac version]

Otherwise, looks like it could be an interesting addition to a Windows user's toolkit ...

tylerdurden51
04-04-2009, 01:46 PM
nice!

gwynevans
04-07-2009, 10:09 AM
I'd managed to overlook this till last night - Nice indeed, although remember to explictly "Save" after edits before packaging as a new ePub.

richardigp
04-23-2009, 12:39 PM
There is a small upgrade to AZARDI that lets you change the default Library and resource locations. Read about it here (http://infogridpacific.typepad.com/using_epub/2009/04/azardi-r21-update.html).

Ankh
04-23-2009, 02:22 PM
Linux (Deb) version will be available shortly.

Pretty please?:)

TIA.

JSWolf
04-25-2009, 11:04 AM
I am running Windows XP Pro and I did download and install the latest Azadi and I can run it. But when I select an ePub file to view, nothing happens. What can be done to fix things so Azardi works?

gwynevans
04-25-2009, 11:39 AM
Hmm - I was using R2 with no problems on XP - downloading R2-1 to try now...

Works here...

Do you get the green right/left arrows or the TOC button active? Maybe there's something it doesn't like on the 1st page & you can step on/past that?

JSWolf
04-25-2009, 09:47 PM
That is odd. All of a sudden it started to work.

CrystalEYE
04-29-2009, 06:06 AM
Do I need to configure it in any way to show me images?

I just tested a ePUB that I converted myself.
This epub file works fine on the Sony PRS-505, in ADE and epubcheck doesnt have any complaints. But when I open it in AZARDI, all images are gone!?

akashigp
05-08-2009, 10:52 AM
If you are installing AZARDI on a 64bit version of Vista you may have to edit the configuration file to
view some image formats. From the installation location, normally c://Program Files(x86)/infogridpacific/azardi locate the file qt.config.

Open this in a text editor.
Find this line:
Prefix = C:/Program Files/infogridpacific/azardi
Edit it to read
Prefix = C:/Program Files (x86)/infogridpacific/azardi

Save the file and reopen AZARDI.

CrystalEYE
05-13-2009, 05:02 AM
No, Im running Win XP SP2 on a Mac OS X 10.5.6 via VM Ware Fusion.

cheese bogart
05-18-2009, 02:37 PM
I downloaded this programme onto my computer as I wanted to start a library of books (as I will be buying a wizpac txtr when it comes out). However when I downloaded an epub book, I was asked what programme I would like to use to read the file. I tried searching for azardi and can't find it, even though I have a desktop icon for it.

Could someone please help! Though could you speak plainly as I'm not a computer whizz.

cheese bogart
05-18-2009, 02:39 PM
Or if they is any better and easier programmes to use I would be thankful for the advice.

SWT

JSWolf
05-18-2009, 05:19 PM
I downloaded this programme onto my computer as I wanted to start a library of books (as I will be buying a wizpac txtr when it comes out). However when I downloaded an epub book, I was asked what programme I would like to use to read the file. I tried searching for azardi and can't find it, even though I have a desktop icon for it.

Could someone please help! Though could you speak plainly as I'm not a computer whizz.
You don't have to choose any program to use to view the ePub. Just save it to where you've configured Azardi's library and you can then launch Azardi to view this ePub.

cheese bogart
05-19-2009, 07:01 AM
Thanks for the advice JSWolf. However I have since removed azardi and am now using Calibre.

JSWolf
05-22-2009, 12:07 AM
I did fine a bug in Azardi. When it resaves the file back into the ePub, it does so without any compression making the ePub larger. Can this be fixed so it actually compresses properly?

bmwvan
05-29-2009, 10:46 AM
I can't get a working library in Azardi. There was no library folder generated on installation, and creating one didn't help either. I'm running XP-SP3 on a PC. Any help!

akashigp
06-03-2009, 10:27 AM
This issue has been fixed. we are now handling the compression while re-package. Moreover, on package validation, it also lets you know wether the epub you have selected is a compressed one or not.

You can get the latest build from:
http://www.infogridpacific.com/igp/AZARDI/AZARDI%20-%20Downloads/

JSWolf
06-03-2009, 10:33 AM
Thank you for this fix.

rjnagle
08-28-2009, 03:39 AM
For those who are looking for answers, I noticed that you needed to update the config.txt and include paths for library_path AND cache_path and report_path.

I put my paths in I: directory under My Docs

library_path = I:\My Documents\xml\openoffice\rjlibrary
cache_path = I:\My Documents\xml\openoffice\azari-cache
report_path = I:\My Documents\xml\openoffice\azari-report

Also, because I'm on 64 bit Vista, I had to change the qt.conf path to look like this:

[Paths]
Prefix = C:/Program Files (x86)/infogridpacific/azardi
Binaries = .

Shut down the program, restart and works perfectly.

lecteur9
11-30-2009, 03:14 PM
I can't get a working library in Azardi. There was no library folder generated on installation, and creating one didn't help either. I'm running XP-SP3 on a PC. Any help!

This happened to me as well. I run a Win XP SP2. There is no library folder in the prog folder, and the library screen in Azardi is blank, and I can't copy ebooks into it.

Your help will be appreciated...

lecteur9
11-30-2009, 03:21 PM
I have just installed Azardi Second Release (2.2), and encountered some problems with it: The Library page is blank and I can't copy ebooks into it, and the library folder was not created.

I am running Win XP SP2. From what I've read Azardi is a great prog and I can't wait to sample it :) Your help will be appreciated.

lhamilton
12-14-2009, 05:32 PM
I have just installed Azardi Second Release (2.2), and encountered some problems with it: The Library page is blank and I can't copy ebooks into it, and the library folder was not created.

I am running Win XP SP2. From what I've read Azardi is a great prog and I can't wait to sample it :) Your help will be appreciated.

Not sure if it will help, but I installed Azardi recently and ran into the same thing. I then created a /azardi/library/ directory off the root of C and then put an epub into it and it was fine. It seems to default to c:/azardi/library for its library.

Linda

lecteur9
12-18-2009, 03:39 PM
Linda and rjnagle thanks.

Your combined tips helped me solve my problem.
I reinstalled Azardi under C:\ and added a new "library" folder:
(C:\azardi\library)

Then I updated config.txt with the the same path.

Then I copied a few epub files into the library folder, and now they show on the library page.

Thanks again, and all best.

Chang
02-25-2010, 03:02 AM
It has been a while since the latest version (2.2) was released and I was wondering do you still keep developing this program. It would be nice if you could add support for SVG wrapped book cover images and for some CSS declarations e.g. page-break-before: always;

Hamlet53
03-20-2010, 10:24 AM
So for the first time I tried using Azardi to validate an epub file I am working on. Everything was checking out except that it was saying that there were files in the package that were not in the manifest. For the life of me I could not find such an error in the code. Finally I copied all files into another folder and than rebuilt the entire book file by file. When I was done it worked without my having changed a line of code. It was then that I realized that the extra file that the Azardi ouput was stating was not in manifest was the invisible file that Windows XP creates for a folder when the view format for the folder is set to thumbnails. This is my standard OP for folders containing only images. Once this is done for the folder the file is there but invisible and does not go away even if the folder view choice is set to something other than thumbnails.

I just thought I would mention this to any out there who might not be aware of the issue.

carmelra
10-18-2011, 05:35 PM
There is a new AZARDI version released lately and here is the text taken from The AZARDI home page:
http://azardi.infogridpacific.com/html/home.html

AZARDI 6

Free ePub Reader

The AZARDI 6 release is a full reinvention of AZARDI and the eBook Reader. This new version is built on the latest Mozilla framework and inherits all the advanced features of Firefox 6.0.

AZARDI 6 works on all desktops Linux, Macintosh and Windows.

The version number of AZARDI now tracks the version number of Firefox. This means the features and capabilities of the reader are always well understood by all users of Firefox and content designers in particular.

The AZARDI User Guide is available in ePub3 format on the resources page.
Main Features

Supports ePub 3 and ePub 2
HTML5 and CSS3
Native MathML
SVG
Browser Typography
Page and flow modes
Fixed layout capable
Multiple readers open
Secure Online linking
AZARDI Interactive Engine
Runs on Linux, Macintosh and Windows

Features in detail

ePub 3. AZARDI has support for ePub 3 packages. AZARDI understands the packaging for ePub 3.0 and can load ePubs without NCX. It does not support MP3 or MP4 because Firefox doesn't. It does support WebM and OGG audio and video. It supports Adobe SWF if you have the plugins installed on a workstation.
HTML5. Every book is automatically framed into HTML5. Even ePub 2.1. HTML5 is pervasive.
CSS3. All the richness of Mozilla CSS is available including gradients, transforms, transitions, CSS animation, OTF properties and Typography - especially hyphenation which is supported from Firefox 6.
MathML can be directly inserted into pages without namespace references. Read the User Guide ePub to get information on fonts.
SVG. Including SVG animation using SMIL is supported, although we haven't experimented with this yet.
Browser typography. OTF properties and hyphenation are supported with the -moz CSS properties. The hyphenation feature uses Mozilla CSS hyphenation.
Page/Flow. Reading mode can be set to page or flow depending on the type of content. AZARDI tries to maintain the page position while changing modes.
Fixed layout capable. Pages can be set up with width and height and edge-to-edge. (See User Guide)
Multiple Readers. You can have multiple readers open at the same time even with the same book. Notes can be made between readers and will reflect in each other.
AZARDI Interactive Engine. AZARDI includes an interactive engine for learning and training. This is proprietary and included for capability demonstration only.

For Publishers

AZARDI is available for customization and branding for licensed IGP:Content Fulfilment Systems users. This gives publishers of appropriate content access to the AZD package format.

AZARDI is designed for massively interactive training and learning content. The AZD format allows the delivery and control on the desktop of subscription content such as rich and interactive courseware learning, education and training content. An AZD format can support presentation of SWF, PDF and Silverlight modules, and work seamlessly with online resources.

the AZD format unleashes new levels of dynamic interactive content under Rights and Agreements control. The powerful subscriptions model allows any business on any content directly from publisher to consumer.

IGP:Content Fulfilment Systems allows the same content to be made available as WebApps optimized for mobile devices, online sites and downloadable desktop packages using AZARDI as the delivery platform.
Background
Shift in Philosophy

Since AZARDI was released in March 2008 a lot has happened with digital content. In 2008 ePub was just emerging as a and HTML5 was of mild interest. Here we are in 2011 and the technology game has changed in many ways, primarily with the advent of tablet computing.

Webkit to Firefox. AZARDI is a desktop reader. There was no particular requirement to stay with Webkit. With the exception of audio and video, Firefox features are more closely matched learning content presentation requirements with native MathML a significant decision maker.

Ree-lax-ed. The 2008 version of AZARDI was strictly strict - the need of the day with ePub just emerging. AZARDI is now relaxed and tolerant of a lot of non-standard components in your ePubs. Why? There is a massive transition going on in digital publishing and users who download something expect it to work, and publishers need an environment to experiment and push the limits of digital content.

Beyond the Novel. The primary purpose of AZARDI has always been to provide an e-book reader that addresses the widest possible range of books and documents. That especially means handling complex layouts for education, training, business books and documents. With the 2011 release of AZARDI we have reached that goal.
Beyond ePub

The requirement for digital content on the desktop has gone well beyond ePub. ePub books have to be created to the lowest common denominator of readers, or made many times for different devices. While that is not an issue if the production environment is IGP:Digital Publisher (which can create multiple variants with a click), it is still a problem managing and maintaining multiple ePub variants through the supply chain.

There is going to be a focus of ePub on mobile devices and readers in the commercial hardware market which leaves the desktop relatively empty. That is why AZARDI exists.

In the commercial version, AZARDI is publisher brandable, supports user-oriented channel controlled content and highly advanced interaction with the AZARDI Interactive Engine. The interface is austere and vanilla because it is customization ready and of course because the content is more important.

AZARDI is designed as a working ePub reader for content authors and user of academic, reference, education (textbooks), instruction manuals, business publications, interactive content and much more. In the free release AZARDI lets the end-user control all aspects of presentation and flow. In the commercial version publishers have control to ensure content presentation matches the subject matter, especially when it incorporates XY layout components.
The name AZARDI

AZARDI is an expression of the Hindi word "azadi" meaning freedom. The "R" is included to provide pronunciation guidance for those of us who are not skilled in linguistics and phonetics and to make it a trademark. AZARDI is licensed at no charge, but unlike the first release, this version is not open-source.

carmelra
10-18-2011, 06:06 PM
The AZARDI 6 release is a full reinvention of AZARDI and the eBook Reader. This new version is built on the latest Mozilla framework and inherits all the advanced features of Firefox 6.0.

AZARDI 6 works on all desktops Linux, Macintosh and Windows.

Supports ePub 3 and ePub 2

The application looks great and I think it's one of the best desktop ePub readers out there.

I would improve the following three main issues:
1) Enable drag & drop of an epub on the application.
2) Enable multiple file selection when adding epub files to the library.
3) Make the GUI clearer. The current icon buttons are too small.

JSWolf
10-18-2011, 06:34 PM
Since Azardi is now using the Mozilla Firefox framework, it has to be open source since Mozilla Firefox is open source.

DiapDealer
10-18-2011, 07:27 PM
Since Azardi is now using the Mozilla Firefox framework, it has to be open source since Mozilla Firefox is open source.
Not necessarily true. It all depends on which of the three licensing options has been chosen for the Mozilla Application Framework and how the Application Framework is being used. It's quite possible to develop both open-source AND proprietary software using the Mozilla Application Framework.

JSWolf
10-18-2011, 07:29 PM
Not necessarily true. It all depends on which of the three licensing options has been chosen for the Mozilla Application Framework and how the Application Framework is being used. It's quite possible to develop both open-source AND proprietary software using the Mozilla Application Framework.

Thanks for that.

Azardi no longer allows editing ePub. It's now just an ePub viewer.

DaleDe
10-18-2011, 10:23 PM
The application looks great and I think it's one of the best desktop ePub readers out there.

I would improve the following three main issues:
1) Enable drag & drop of an epub on the application.
2) Enable multiple file selection when adding epub files to the library.
3) Make the GUI clearer. The current icon buttons are too small.

To these requests I would add.
4) keyboard shortcuts such as arrows to move from page to page and the space bar for next page.
5) TOC icon - needs a back/cancel button for use if I decide not to go somewhere after selecting TOC.

I like the pullout TOC. I have updated our wiki page for this product.

Dale

carmelra
10-19-2011, 06:32 AM
To these requests I would add.
4) keyboard shortcuts such as arrows to move from page to page and the space bar for next page.
5) TOC icon - needs a back/cancel button for use if I decide not to go somewhere after selecting TOC.

I like the pullout TOC. I have updated our wiki page for this product.

Dale

I totally agree with issue no. 4.
About the TOC icon, just click it again and it will get back/cancel. As I said, the GUI should be improved...
I also like the pullout TOC. It's really cool!

DiapDealer
10-19-2011, 12:12 PM
I don't get it. It's completely ignoring the CSS of every ePub book I've attempted to load so far. And it has errors loading several epubs that pass every validation test I know of.

carmelra
01-20-2012, 07:08 AM
Well, it seems like there is an updated version with a few good improvements:

http://azardi.infogridpacific.com/html

AZARDI 8.1

Free ePub Reader. Release: 17 January 2012

If you have AZARDI 7 or 8 installed, AZARDI 8.1 will be updated next time you open AZARDI.

The interactive demo book EPUB3 UNLEASHED can be downloaded from Resources. See what ePub3 can do.

This January 2012 AZARDI 8.1 release is a bug-fix and minor feature update.

If you still have AZARDI 6 you will have to uninstall before installing AZARDI 8.1. Click here to go to the version update instructions.

This release has new features and bug fixes and moves forward improved ePub3 conformance issues.

New Reader Features in AZARDI 8.1

AZARDI Special Features

This version is the first version to incorporate automated updates.

AZARDI 8.1 works on all desktops Firefox works on: Linux, Macintosh and Windows.

The AZARDI User Guide is available in ePub3 format on the resources page along with other ePub3 resources.
AZARDI - Main Features

Supports ePub 3, ePub 2 and the secure AZD format
Fully HTML5 and CSS3 capable
Native MathML built-in
SVG built-in.
Browser Typography
Page and flow modes
Fixed layout capable
Multiple simultaneous readers can be open, even on the same book.
Secure Online links
Built-in AZARDI Interactive Engine
Runs on Linux, Macintosh and Windows

New ePub3 Features in AZARDI 8.1

Landmarks. If your ePub 3 uses landmarks these can be displayed with the new Landmarks button.

Page Nav. If your ePub 3 uses page navigation this can be displayed with the new Landmarks button and select the Page Navigation option.
New General Features in AZARDI 8.1

Drag and Drop ePub Upload. You can now drag and drop multiple ePubs into AZARDI in a single action.
Library Table View. Presentation improved and it now has Date Added. All columns sort and can be turned on and off. Table now has alternate row shading in all operating systems.
Page Navigation. You can now navigate pages with Left-Right arrows and PgUp / PgDn keyboard buttons
Section Navigation. You can now navigate document sections with Shift-Left Arrow, Shift-Right-Arrow, and Shift-PgUp and Shift-PgDn buttons.
XUL-Runner Version. The framework is now aligned with all the features of Mozilla Firefox 8.
Image Viewer. You can now click on any image and it will open in a new window. You can zoom the image using the mouse center scroll key, and click and drag the image around in the viewport.
Covers. If cover images are available in an ePub3 they can be viewed from a fixed link in the Tables of Content.
Multi-language Hyphenation. If your ePub is correctly declaring the language in the XHTML file, language specific hyphenation will be applied if CSS -moz-hyphens: auto; is applied.
AZARDI Interactive Engine. Now supports QAA-Set, Flashcards, Interactive Tutorials and other numerous bug-fixes and improvements.
Bug-fixes. Numerous bug-fixes and clean-ups. RTL content now displays aligned correctly in Contents.

AZARDI Special Features

MathML can be directly inserted into pages. Read the User Guide ePub to get information on fonts.
SVG. Including SVG animation using SMIL is supported, although we haven't experimented with this yet.
Browser typography. OTF properties and hyphenation are supported with the -moz CSS properties. The hyphenation feature uses Mozilla CSS hyphenation.
Page/Flow. Reading mode can be set to page or flow depending on the type of content. AZARDI tries to maintain the page position while changing modes.
Fixed layout capable. Pages can be set up with width and height and edge-to-edge. (See User Guide and demonstration books).
Multiple Readers. You can have multiple readers open at the same time even with the same book. Notes can be made between readers and will reflect in each other.
Internet Extension Viewport. External links resolve to a protected viewport rather than open a general browser.
AZARDI Interactive Engine. AZARDI includes an interactive engine for learning and training. This is proprietary and included for general capability demonstration.

DaleDe
01-20-2012, 12:39 PM
this is the most complete eBook reader available that supports ePub 3

DiapDealer
01-20-2012, 02:10 PM
I still can't get Azardi to honor the css of any of my ePub 2 books. Not a single one. I've tried the latest version on Windows and Linux. What am I missing?

I download one of their test ePub 2 books and it works fine, but none of my Sigil-built ePubs are working right. They all pass validation with flying colors and I can't see any differences in the opf files.

EDIT: Well. Apparently AZARDI doesn't like something about Sigil made ePubs. As soon as I open one of their sample ePub2 books and save it with Sigil, formatting is lost when viewing with AZARDI. I'll have to investigate.

richardigp
01-27-2012, 03:32 AM
Hi anyone here. Can we get a link to a few of the problem books. We will look into it immediately. We appreciate SIGIL as a tool and want to be in sync. We have a corpus of "problem" books we test against, but don't know how they were created. Theoretically AZARDI is soft on CSS - IE it wont try and over-ride any styles applied in the ePub CSS. Anyway links to problem samples appreciated.

stasys
02-01-2012, 06:50 AM
Maybe it is a good app, but it is impossible to download it:(

DiapDealer
02-05-2012, 02:06 PM
Hi anyone here. Can we get a link to a few of the problem books. We will look into it immediately. We appreciate SIGIL as a tool and want to be in sync. We have a corpus of "problem" books we test against, but don't know how they were created. Theoretically AZARDI is soft on CSS - IE it wont try and over-ride any styles applied in the ePub CSS. Anyway links to problem samples appreciated.
Thanks for the response! Sorry I didn't notice it sooner.

Anyway... using one of the sample epubs (v2) directly from Infogridpacific's resources page (http://azardi.infogridpacific.com/html/resources.html#r1).... specifically: Dickens' A Chistmas Carol (http://files.infogridpacific.com/epub/a-christmas-carol2.epub). I open the file in Sigil (v0.5.0—but the same behavior was exhibited in earlier versions) and immediately check the ePub using Sigil's built in FlightCrew. It gives me one error about a reference item in the guide section that's using the unrecognized "titlepage" for its type attribute. No biggie... I delete that reference item from the OPF and the epub checks out absolutely clean according to FlightCrew. So I save the epub without touching anything else.

The first epub (pre-Sigil) displays as expected with Azardi (8.1). The epub saved with Sigil displays as if there is no css file... Drop caps gone... paragraph styling all gone.

The fact of the matter is: I've yet to create any ePub with Sigil that displays correctly in Azardi (or calibre-built epubs now that I test it).

Anyway.. I'm attaching the pre-sigil and post-sigil epubs to this post in case anything there might be helpful.

I've experienced the same issues with Azardi on Windows or Linux.

richardigp
02-10-2012, 03:00 AM
Got the files. Thanks. We are taking a look to see if we can solve the mystery and will get back ASAP. We are also in the middle of an AZARDI Online and AZARDI Web App reader so all this type of input is received with thanks.

I wouldn't mind a few more books that are not derivatives of ours as well if anyone can supply.

If you could supply a Calibre built sample or two that would be great. We don't use these apps so it is a bit time consuming to go through the learning curve and I think it is better to take samples from other creators. It's a big world out there.

richardigp
02-13-2012, 12:00 PM
Just to let anybody who is following this thread know we have found the AZARDI bug on this issue and are working on the bug for the next release (very soon). Thanks for the great feedback and assistance. Today the IDPF started a much needed ePub3 test book site as well. http://idpf.org/news/idpf-announces-epub-samples-project to help development of ePub 3 readers. Having said that, I am quite aware that our pernicious CSS bug has little to do with ePub 3! Really big, special thanks to you DiapDealer for the samples.

DiapDealer
02-13-2012, 12:53 PM
Really big, special thanks to you DiapDealer for the samples.
No problem! I only mentioned it because I'd really like to use it. Look forward to the fix. :)

In the meantime... since it's obviously possible to create an epub that will display properly in AZARDI, is there an easy work-around that can be employed (in the CSS itself) to avoid the issue?

Thanks for addressing this.

richardigp
02-17-2012, 03:11 AM
No problem! I only mentioned it because I'd really like to use it. Look forward to the fix. :)

In the meantime... since it's obviously possible to create an epub that will display properly in AZARDI, is there an easy work-around that can be employed (in the CSS itself) to avoid the issue?

Thanks for addressing this.

Because we have our own highly automated ePub generation from a master XHTML source, and we kinda rushed AZARDI out for an October 2011 release, and quite frankly we didn't test enough it would appear. We have a huge batch of test ePubs but Sigil and Calibre generated ePubs were obviously not in the mix.

What AZARDI does internally is reads the manifest converts all XHTML5 into HTML5, loads everything into variables (except audio and video) and then loads the content. It wasn't finding the CSS in the /Styles/ directory as it was expecting a forward path from the HTML - the way we package (a little hard coded nonsense). We also discovered another CSS bug @import was not handled reliably. We are targeting Wed 22nd IST for an 8.2 bug-fix update just for these CSS issues. It is a big deal.

You can put the CSS in a css/mybook.css path from the XHTML, but that "quick fix" may be too much work with the update imminent. Book creators shouldn't have to compensate for sucky reader code!

Our objective with AZARDI is to keep adding ePub3 features. We have added page and epub:type TOC navigation. SMIL is the next major thing. But we don't want to support the "ethereal" parts of the spec if no-one is ever going to use them.

richardigp
02-22-2012, 11:52 AM
AZARDI 8.2 is now available. This is a CSS display bug fix release as per the above discussed items. The next time you open / close / open AZARDI the update will be applied assuming you give enough time for the download.

Thank you again for the help. I am even learning to use Sigil (sort of).

DiapDealer
02-22-2012, 12:47 PM
I don't know what's up for sure, but the "a-christmas-carol2_post-Sigil.epub" I attached to post #41 (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1954117&postcount=41) is still ignoring the CSS (paragraph styling, drop caps, etc...) using AZARDI 8.2. I see no difference. I even went as far as to completely remove AZARDI (every bit of it ) and download and install 8.2 fresh. No luck. It just doesn't properly display ANY ePub2 I've built (with regard to CSS).

JSWolf
02-22-2012, 01:49 PM
Can we get a mod to change the topic? Azardi is no longer a complete ePub editing suite like it used to be.

Ahmad Samir
05-26-2012, 01:56 AM
I don't know what's up for sure, but the "a-christmas-carol2_post-Sigil.epub" I attached to post #41 (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1954117&postcount=41) is still ignoring the CSS (paragraph styling, drop caps, etc...) using AZARDI 8.2. I see no difference. I even went as far as to completely remove AZARDI (every bit of it ) and download and install 8.2 fresh. No luck. It just doesn't properly display ANY ePub2 I've built (with regard to CSS).

FWIW AZARDI 11 still has the same problem...

Edit: on further testing, using AZARDI 8.2, and preventing it from updating at all, the CSS included in the epub (i.e. a css file in OEBPS/Styles) does work; however if I leave it open long enough it updates to AZARDI 11.x, and the bug manifests again.

Ahmad Samir
06-02-2012, 12:17 PM
Tinkering with Azardi 11, and comparing chrome/content/js/core/epub_loader.js from 8.2 with the one from 11.x, the attached patch seems to fix the issue for me. I don't know if it has any undesirable side effects or not, since I don't know much about javascript, I just copy/pasted that bit from the file in the 8.2 .deb.

robbycharters
06-05-2012, 08:58 AM
I find that AZARDI doesn't read the ePub 2 CSS class for re-flowing text around sidebars and left/right aligned illustrations. The sidebar simply appears as a paragraph of its own. Is this a bug, or will all old ePub files need to be rewritten?

robbycharters
06-05-2012, 09:11 AM
Got the files. Thanks. We are taking a look to see if we can solve the mystery and will get back ASAP. We are also in the middle of an AZARDI Online and AZARDI Web App reader so all this type of input is received with thanks.

I wouldn't mind a few more books that are not derivatives of ours as well if anyone can supply.

If you could supply a Calibre built sample or two that would be great. We don't use these apps so it is a bit time consuming to go through the learning curve and I think it is better to take samples from other creators. It's a big world out there.

Here is one I built with Sigil for the purpose of showcasing various styles for possible clients. It has drop caps, CSS formatted chapter headings, a right aligned sidebar and a left aligned photograph -- none of which render properly in AVARDI. Also, it doesn't recognise the cover graphic.

See what you can make of it...

thank you...cheers

DaleDe
06-06-2012, 01:27 PM
I find that AZARDI doesn't read the ePub 2 CSS class for re-flowing text around sidebars and left/right aligned illustrations. The sidebar simply appears as a paragraph of its own. Is this a bug, or will all old ePub files need to be rewritten?

The two ePub versions should be read by an ePub 3 reader. If not then it is a bug IMHO. The specifications for ePub 3 indicate that ePub 2 should be supported including the TOC.ncx file, even though this is not used on epub 3. The standard to be followed is defined in the OPF as shown in the example below. You might want to check you OPF file and ensure it says version 2.0 or 2.01

<package xmlns="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf" version="3.0" xml:lang="en">

Dale

Ahmad Samir
06-12-2012, 07:52 AM
IINM, it looks like the css issue (where Azardi doesn't load style sheets from OEBPS/Styles/*.css) has been fixed in Azardi 11.3; it came through the auto-update (just leave Azardi 11.x running long enough and make sure you have an active internet connection).

DiapDealer
06-12-2012, 09:20 AM
IINM, it looks like the css issue (where Azardi doesn't load style sheets from OEBPS/Styles/*.css) has been fixed in Azardi 11.3; it came through the auto-update (just leave Azardi 11.x running long enough and make sure you have an active internet connection).
Much better! It still won't allow me to import another stylesheet from within the main stylesheet using something like "@import url(../Styles/styles2.css);" but it's a damn-sight better than it was. :)

I never understood in the first place, why a reading system would try to assume where the CSS stylesheet was located (or should be located) in the overall epub structure -- I mean, doesn't the xhtml clearly indicate exactly where it is? Why guess/assume at all?

EDIT: it seems to be ignoring inline css, though.

Ahmad Samir
08-02-2012, 04:44 AM
In chrome/content/xsl/ncx-to-li_conversion.xsl, docAuthor should be filtered out too:
<!-- Remove Head and DocTitle -->
<xsl:template match="head | docTitle"></xsl:template>

since some EPUBs have a docAuthor entry in the .ncx, the Author's name appears in the top left hand corner on every single page while reading an EPUB.