View Full Version : Convert from ePub from Sony Library?

melodiousb
03-28-2009, 01:37 PM
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, or if someone else has already received an answer to a similar one. If so, I'd be happy to be directed to the right place.

Anyway. I was really interested to hear about Google's scanned public domain books being made available through Sony, and I was hoping that I'd be able to convert the ePub books for use on my Kindle. Is there any way to do this? I took a look at the Sony site, and downloaded their library software, but I can't figure out f there's any way to look at the actual ePub file outside of that program. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Melody

AnemicOak
03-28-2009, 01:57 PM
Take the downloaded epub file and put it into Calibre. Calibre will convert the epub to a Mobi/prc file which the Kindle will read. I'd suggest making sure that the book isn't available either here or at Feedbooks first as the formatting is likely to be better.

The books should download into My Documents/My Books/eBook Library

wallcraft
03-28-2009, 02:04 PM
Yes. The ePub ends up in "My Documents\My Books\eBook Library" and can be converted to MOBI by Calibre. I did not get a TOC in the case I tried, even though the ePub had one.

carld
03-28-2009, 02:48 PM
Opening an ePub in Mobipocket Reader will auto-generate a .mobi file you can send to your Kindle

AnemicOak
03-28-2009, 03:32 PM
Opening an ePub in Mobipocket Reader will auto-generate a .mobi file you can send to your Kindle

Yep, it will, but from the few I've tried Calibre does a better job with epub than Mobi's software does.