View Full Version : Anyone else having issues with library books?

Sydney's Mom
03-28-2009, 11:59 AM
:chinscratch:JUST WONDERING: I might have used a certain banned script to get library books I downloaded to Adobe Digital Editions onto my kindle. Everything was going swimmingly, and my wishlist from the library is over 300 books.

The other night, two books wouldn't decrypt. Last night, I returned the books and checked them out again - same result. Then I checked out two more books, one I was able to get on my kindle, the other no luck.

This is the first time I have run into this. The books show up just fine in Adobe Digital Editions. I am not asking for any help decrypting these - I just want to know, is it ME, or are others having problems with a book here or there? Unfortunately, the books are not available in mobi, so I can't use that workaround.

I certainly can survive not reading: :bookworm:The Greek Tycoon's Convenient Wife. I am most assuredly not going to buy that piece of trash (I like trash just fine, thank you:2thumbsup). So not a big issue, just wondering if others have run into an occasional library book that they cannot kindlize.

JohnB
03-31-2009, 09:08 AM
On Sunday, I tried a library book, and while it appeared to have "converted" correctly, I was unable to open it.

Sydney's Mom
04-01-2009, 10:02 PM
Thanks, JohnB. Glad to know it is just not me.

Liviu_5
04-02-2009, 08:56 AM
I certainly can survive not reading: :bookworm:The Greek Tycoon's Convenient Wife. I am most assuredly not going to buy that piece of trash

This one is available as pdf from e-NYPL too and on download it gives an acsm link as opposed to the usual etx, have no idea if it makes any difference.

I opened it with ADE and the usual worked, the result opened and seemed identical.

Things to check for a retry - maybe need to use original download folder and have everything done there as well as keeping book open in ADE when doing it, also maybe need to check if the tool is the improved version not the original one

There are comments on the blog in question to help with the second issue.

So far anything opened by ADE works

Sydney's Mom
04-06-2009, 04:53 PM
This one is available as pdf from e-NYPL too and on download it gives an acsm link as opposed to the usual etx, have no idea if it makes any difference.

I opened it with ADE and the usual worked, the result opened and seemed identical.

Things to check for a retry - maybe need to use original download folder and have everything done there as well as keeping book open in ADE when doing it, also maybe need to check if the tool is the improved version not the original one

There are comments on the blog in question to help with the second issue.

So far anything opened by ADE works

Thanks. I might have tried to decrypt before I opened it in ADE. Also, all of the books were the 1.5 version that he mentioned had a bug. I will wait for the new version.

How was the book?

dconabree
04-11-2009, 05:20 PM
Same problem - tried the Ottawa Public Library digital editions download. I can read them fine on my MAC but when I move them over to the device (PRS-505), all I see is "Protected Page". I have no difficulty reading other ADE books that I bought from Diesel books. Any ideas? I feel like I found an awesome solution to my book cravings only to have my hopes dashed. Any ideas?

Liviu_5
04-11-2009, 08:44 PM
Same problem - tried the Ottawa Public Library digital editions download. I can read them fine on my MAC but when I move them over to the device (PRS-505), all I see is "Protected Page". I have no difficulty reading other ADE books that I bought from Diesel books. Any ideas? I feel like I found an awesome solution to my book cravings only to have my hopes dashed. Any ideas?

Do you move them from ADE? The usb connected PRS should show in ADE as device and sending the book from ADE to it works for me. I have a 700 and a PC though

pilotbob
04-11-2009, 09:51 PM
The usb connected PRS should show in ADE as device and sending the book from ADE to it works for me.

Not on a Mac.

BOb

wallcraft
04-11-2009, 10:34 PM
I can read them fine on my MAC but when I move them over to the device (PRS-505), all I see is "Protected Page". I have no difficulty reading other ADE books that I bought from Diesel books. Have you added your PRS-505 to your Adobe ID account (a one time procedure on a Windows PC)? The mention of Diesel books suggests that this has been done, but if so the lending library ebooks should work.

dconabree
04-13-2009, 04:17 PM
Yes...I dragged the file from the ADE folder on my Mac to the Digital Editions folder on my PRS-505. The Mac and my PRS are using the same Digital Editions login info.

What I am doing here is the same procedure I use with purchased DRM books and it works great (thanks to a little help from the forums here). Unfortunately, doing the exact same procedure with the Ottawa library file produces an unreadable document on the device.

I submitted this link in a email to them last week. Hopefully, they will be able to help.

DaleDe
04-14-2009, 12:43 PM
Yes...I dragged the file from the ADE folder on my Mac to the Digital Editions folder on my PRS-505. The Mac and my PRS are using the same Digital Editions login info.

What I am doing here is the same procedure I use with purchased DRM books and it works great (thanks to a little help from the forums here). Unfortunately, doing the exact same procedure with the Ottawa library file produces an unreadable document on the device.

I submitted this link in a email to them last week. Hopefully, they will be able to help.

The only difference should be that the library copies are time limited. Is the clock and date correct on your Sony?

dconabree
04-14-2009, 09:15 PM
The clock is fine when viewing on the ADE software in the MAC but as a "protected page PDF", I can see very little info about the book when I rag it to the PRS-505.

Frankly, its painfully frustrating.

dconabree
04-14-2009, 09:23 PM
I should add that I contacted Overdrive, who supply the ADE books to the library and was advised that I could not read ADE books on the PRS-505. I have forwarded them the info about how I read purchased books from Diesel with no difficulty.

ilovejedd
04-14-2009, 09:31 PM
I think what DaleDe is asking is, do you have the clock set correctly in the actual PRS-505/reader/device? Since library ebooks are time-sensitive/limited, it stands to reason it will check the system clock on the reader to see if borrowed ebooks have expired.

dconabree
04-14-2009, 10:31 PM
10-4...the dates on the desktop and the PRS-505 match. Just tried again with a different book...same effect...A-ok on the computer but "protected page" when the PDF is dragged to the reader digital editions folder and viewed there.

pilotbob
04-14-2009, 10:58 PM
I should add that I contacted Overdrive, who supply the ADE books to the library and was advised that I could not read ADE books on the PRS-505.

That's a bit sad that they think that. Apparently they are not training their support people very well. Then again, over drive makes money when you check out the book from the library... not when you read it.

BOb

BinaryTB
04-15-2009, 11:54 AM
Does Overdrive make money during checkout or when the library purchases the ebook? If the latter, then I'd think that every Overdrive library would have a lot more books available for checkout, or at least in more formats.

pilotbob
04-15-2009, 12:05 PM
Does Overdrive make money during checkout or when the library purchases the ebook? If the latter, then I'd think that every Overdrive library would have a lot more books available for checkout, or at least in more formats.

I don't "know" what it is, but I expect a combination of both. Overdrive sells the library the book and also charges for DRM services need when books are checked out. If could be a per-month fee or per hit fee. Someone that actually is involved with OD as a library would have to give us the scoop.

BOb

JSWolf
04-15-2009, 01:08 PM
10-4...the dates on the desktop and the PRS-505 match. Just tried again with a different book...same effect...A-ok on the computer but "protected page" when the PDF is dragged to the reader digital editions folder and viewed there.
have you authorized your 505 with ADE? I don't think you can do it on a MAC. You'd need to do it on a Windows system and then I think you might be able to use your 505 with ADE for the MAC.

pilotbob
04-15-2009, 01:22 PM
have you authorized your 505 with ADE? I don't think you can do it on a MAC. You'd need to do it on a Windows system and then I think you might be able to use your 505 with ADE for the MAC.

If you re-read his posts he states:

"I have no difficulty reading other ADE books that I bought from Diesel books."

So those wouldn't work if the reader wasn't authorized. Unless they are not DRMed, which I doubt.

BOb