View Full Version : Japanese reading on PRS-700 with calibre success!!

ebook_devices_jp
03-28-2009, 05:18 AM
Hi all,

Thanks for Kovid Goyal and other forum members.

I tried Japanese news fetching on calibre and can read non-Japanized
PRS-700 (no Flasher use) with Japanese font!!

Use free Japanese ttf font (IPA mona font) and copied on "fonts" folder
on PRS-700 internal storage.

Override-css on calibre as follow.

@font-face {
font-family: "ipagpmona";
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/ipagp-mona.ttf);
}

body {
}

On calibre GUI, override-css option didn't override when fetching news.
So I selected the book which I fetched, and run [Convert E-books]
I got a override-css epub book.

:thanks:

Hypernova
03-31-2009, 02:39 AM
Here's how I change the font using the recipe. I'll let you figure out how to change to your font.

extra_css = '@font-face {font-family: "serif1";src:url(res:///Data/FONT/angsau.ttf)} @font-face {font-family: "sans1";src:url(res:///opt/sony/ebook/FONT/tt0003m_.ttf)} body{font-family: serif1, serif} .article_description{font-family: sans1, sans-serif}'

How I wish I could read japanese...*sigh*

Jellby
03-31-2009, 07:04 AM
Note that if you refer to font files in the /Data directory, that will only work in the Sony readers. If you transfer the file to a different device or to a computer it will not be able to use the fonts, even if they are installed there (for they will be installed in different places).

JSWolf
03-31-2009, 08:02 AM
Note that if you refer to font files in the /Data directory, that will only work in the Sony readers. If you transfer the file to a different device or to a computer it will not be able to use the fonts, even if they are installed there (for they will be installed in different places).
It's trivial to edit the CSS and embed the fonts if you were distributing the ePub. Also, it;s just as easy to write directions on how to install the fonts on a 505/700 so the ePub can be used as is with a 505/700.

ebook_devices_jp
04-01-2009, 09:59 PM
>>Hypernova
Thank you for helping about calibre's reciepe. I'll try.

>>Jellby
>>JSWolf
Thank you for your advice.
I already read this thread and Sony PRS-505,700 are not qualified as collect ePub format for fonts changing.
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30935

JSWolf
04-05-2009, 07:09 AM
>>Hypernova
Thank you for helping about calibre's reciepe. I'll try.

>>Jellby
>>JSWolf
Thank you for your advice.
I already read this thread and Sony PRS-505,700 are not qualified as collect ePub format for fonts changing.
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30935
Read the following thread and you'll see that it is possible to change the font in ePub.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36361

prs700
04-05-2009, 04:23 PM
hi all,
thanks I thought it was impossible to read non-latin letters on the readers (other than PDFs).
Does this work with other languages?
do I have to specify the language (Arabic, Chinese, Hindi . etc.?) or just the font and font family?
Thanks again

JSWolf
04-05-2009, 04:54 PM
hi all,
thanks I thought it was impossible to read non-latin letters on the readers (other than PDFs).
Does this work with other languages?
do I have to specify the language (Arabic, Chinese, Hindi . etc.?) or just the font and font family?
Thanks again
All you have to do is use ePub and edit the CSS to use the fonts of your choice. You can either embed the fonts in the ePub or on the Reader. See the link I posted in a previous message in this thread.

Hypernova
04-07-2009, 06:21 PM
I want to add that the method JSWolf explain will work great if your langauge uses space to seperate words. Well, actually I should not generalize that, but what I know is that if I use epub for thai text, the line will simply continue "outside" the screen since DE has no idea about a thai word, and they don't even try. I have to use lrf for thai text since at least it simply stop when it reach the end of the screen and continue on a new line.

JSWolf
04-11-2009, 04:33 AM
ePub should wrap fine at the right edge of the screen unless you are using <pre> tags in your ePub.

Justice Strike
09-09-2009, 04:35 AM
thai only has spaces at the end of a sentence. Words are written after each other without spaces.

arvinder
07-19-2010, 08:27 AM
I tried with japnase.ttf but and chinese.ttf and japanese characters doesnt appear (???)but chinese characters appears correctly in sony reader.

i used CSS exactly like below for japanese.ttf and same with chinese but chinese displayed and japenese not:

@font-face {
font-family: "japanese";
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/japanese.ttf);
}

@font-face {
font-family: "chinese";
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/chinese.ttf);
}

Can someone pls. attach ipag-mona.ttf font which i can use to display japanese character as given below

@font-face {
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/ipagp-mona.ttf);
}

body {
}