View Full Version : Any policy or guidelines for posting images found on the web?

Wetdogeared
03-25-2009, 11:28 AM
Does MobileRead have any policies or guidelines on which images can be posted.

Often, using a link doesn't have the same impact I want, so I post an image and or video found online at a myriad of origins.

I use my common sense and don't post anything that:
Appears obscene Has a copyright tag on it Has a watermark across it

I have, in the past, posted:
Signed images, which gives the creator credit Images found on websites that expressly give permission to copy Images found on websites that don't express any copyright at all

I've done a search on MobileRead and can't find this topic discussed, but it probably was at one time and I can't find it.

Please advise me as I'm concerned with copyright infringement, as we all should be on MR, not just on eBooks but on images too.

Thanks. WDE.

HarryT
03-25-2009, 01:31 PM
It's best to assume that any image is copyrighted unless you have some specific reason to believe that it is in the public domain.

tompe
03-25-2009, 01:34 PM
Or you can assume that quoting any image is fair use and OK if you do not have any reason thinking differently.

HarryT
03-25-2009, 01:37 PM
It's "fair use" if you're using it for some purpose such as scholarly criticism or comment. It's not fair use to reproduce a copyrighted image merely because you like it :).

DaleDe
03-25-2009, 02:34 PM
It's "fair use" if you're using it for some purpose such as scholarly criticism or comment. It's not fair use to reproduce a copyrighted image merely because you like it :).

I really think Wikipedia has gone over the top on this. They won't even let an image from a brochure be used unless you can get written permission from the owner. No images unless you can prove it is not copyrighted or have written publishable permission. This is a little far off the mark in my opinion. Wikipedia is for the purpose of scholarly comment.

Dale

tompe
03-25-2009, 02:37 PM

Using it in a thread here is always a comment since all threads are ongoing discussions.