View Full Version : Closing Threads

tompe
03-22-2009, 12:14 AM
I think it should be a rule that if a thread is closed the reason shoud be given in the last posting. It is irritating reading a thread and planning to comment something and then notice that the thread has been closed for no obvious reason.

Also a moderator posting some argument as the last posting in a thread should be a good reason not to close a thread.

Nate the great
03-22-2009, 12:16 AM
Also a moderator posting some argument as the last posting in a thread should be a good reason not to close a thread.

Bob posted after the thread was closed. He really shouldn't have. Zelda posted an explanation.

pilotbob
03-22-2009, 12:18 AM
Bob posted after the thread was closed. He really shouldn't have. Zelda posted an explanation.

I replied to a message before I got to Z's message. So, I didn't know the thread was closed when I posted that.

BOb

tompe
03-22-2009, 12:20 AM

Well, Zelda's postings also contained a lot of arguments. I think it is bad stating some argument (that can be a very bad argument or a wrong one) and then close the thread.

Also I do not get why a thread is closed just because a decision exists. You can discus the arguments for and against just to see what they are. There is no reason to close the thread just because the arguments will not change anything now (and how can you predict that no new arguments will occur that might change the decision?).

HarryT
03-22-2009, 04:51 AM
What thread are you referring to?

dreams
03-22-2009, 04:57 AM
New forum section that's not the lounge

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42440&page=4[/URL]

HarryT
03-22-2009, 05:17 AM
OK. For the record, I entirely support the idea of a "non-lounge" forum section.

astra
03-22-2009, 08:39 AM
I was furious when she closed the thread.
I switched off computer, to keep myself away from it so I don't post anything about what I think of zelda, her action etc.

It was....bad management decision.

Nate the great
03-22-2009, 08:40 AM
I was furious when she closed the thread.
I switched off computer, to keep myself away from it so I don't post anything about what I think of zelda, her action etc.

It was....bad management decision.

I agree. It's open again.

astra
03-22-2009, 08:43 AM
It's open again.

Thank you.

JSWolf
03-22-2009, 09:25 AM
Can anyone name one good reason why we cannot have a forum section for posts that do not quite fit anyplace else but is not a bunch of silly stuff?

Nate the great
03-22-2009, 09:32 AM
Can anyone name one good reason why we cannot have a forum section for posts that do not quite fit anyplace else but it not a bunch of silly stuff?

Yes, I can.

GeoffC
03-22-2009, 11:00 AM
May one ask what that good reason is?

Nate the great
03-22-2009, 11:01 AM
May one ask what that good reason is?

Yes you may.

GeoffC
03-22-2009, 11:01 AM
What is the good reason to which you refer...

pilotbob
03-22-2009, 11:07 AM
Can we please move this discussion back to the original thread?

BOb

Nate the great
03-22-2009, 11:09 AM
What is the good reason to which you refer...

I thought you'd never ask. :snicker: Actually, Geoff, I was being deliberately flippant to Jon becuase there was no need for him to drag that conversation in to this thread. The other one is still open.

The fact Alex said no is the reason, BTW.

GeoffC
03-22-2009, 11:11 AM
I thought you'd never ask. :snicker: Actually, Geoff, I was being deliberately flippant to Jon becuase there was no need for him to drag that conversation in to this thread. The other one is still open.

The fact Alex said no is the reason, BTW.

Sir, I cannot think of a better reason....

On the subject in hand, that of closing a thread, surely there ought to be few occasions when that is necessary - far better, surely, to let them 'die' of their own accord - unless the posts become rather too repetitive?

tompe
03-22-2009, 11:22 AM
On the subject in hand, that of closing a thread, surely there ought to be few occasions when that is necessary - far better, surely, to let them 'die' of their own accord - unless the posts become rather too repetitive?

That is my opinion also. There are obvious cases like duplicate threads but in most case the thread will die if nobody want to discus the topic.

HarryT
03-22-2009, 11:24 AM
Threads are very rarely closed. The normal reason is if they have degenerated into abuse and rudeness, or if they are a clear duplicate of another thread.

GeoffC
03-22-2009, 11:27 AM
Threads are very rarely closed. The normal reason is if they have degenerated into abuse and rudeness, or if they are a clear duplicate of another thread.

Did any of that occur in the thread that was referred to?

HarryT
03-22-2009, 11:29 AM
No. I certainly would not have closed it.