View Full Version : iPod e-book reading guide

Colin Dunstan
06-14-2005, 04:33 AM
It's rumored that there are people who not only listen to their iPods, but also use them for reading e-books - disregarding the fact that the iPod has a tiny screen and a really bad backlighting. Now Phillip Torrone from Make published a step-by-step guide ( how to transfer text and html documents to your favorite MP3 player. You don't have to pass an ophthalmic exam to guess what this could do to your eyes.

06-14-2005, 12:27 PM
We covered this story on PA yesterday but I know I would love to be able to read ebooks on my iPod. The point of reading ebooks on my Tungsten C is great however an iPod would be ideal especially as I carry mine with me everywhere.
Lindsey Dyson
Deputy Editor PalmAddict
Personal Assistant to Sammual McLoughlin
Welcoming over 40,000 visitors a day to Palm Addict

Alexander Turcic
06-14-2005, 06:02 PM
Lindsey, would you actually attempt to read full-length novels on your iPod? I don't know if I could do that without straining my eyes too much. On the other hand, if you're commuting through the city or a passenger on a long drive, this might be a nice way of skimming some text or reading part of something you don't want to carry around with you.

There used to be a site called iPodLibrary ( which made available e-books already converted in the iPod Notes format... unfortunately the site seems to have disappeared.

Pride Of Lions
06-14-2005, 09:01 PM
Sure it's terrible for your eyes, but is it any worse than reading eBooks on a mobile phone? I wouldn't do it myself (love that Zodiac), but it might serve a purpose for some documents or some people who don't want to do the multimedia PDA and the iPod is gadget enough.

With my mobile phones, I can increase the font size to accommodate one's eyes, but is such a thing possible with the iPod? (I do have one, but I'm restoring music onto my hard drive which failed a couple of days ago and it's a long-ish process.) If it's not possible on an iPod, it should be.

How does one suggest feature improvements to Apple anyway?

06-22-2005, 02:18 PM
We are going to start releasing ebooks for the iPod using this method. Anything for our Mac readers ;-)