View Full Version : best format to convert to mobi

rcuadro
03-12-2009, 10:35 AM
So I have a Sony 505 and a bunch of LRF's... I want to convert most of them into mobi to use on my Kindle 2.
I sort of have the hang of using LRFTools to convert them to something else... but what is the best format to convert LRFs to before converting them to mobi?

I am on a Mac and will not have access to a windows pc until mid april...

Ideas?:thanks:

AnemicOak
03-12-2009, 10:36 AM
Will LRF Tools make an epub out of an LRF? I can't recall, but if it does you could do that and then use Calibre to make a Mobi.

rcuadro
03-12-2009, 10:47 AM
Will LRF Tools make an epub out of an LRF? I can't recall, but if it does you could do that and then use Calibre to make a Mobi.

I didnt think of epub! I tried HTML and XML and they dont come out well. I was starting to think there was a special trick or something. Lets see if it works :)

pilotbob
03-15-2009, 12:57 AM
So I have a Sony 505 and a bunch of LRF's... I want to convert most of them into mobi to use on my Kindle 2.

Where did you get the LRF files? Most sources for these files also contain other formats such as mobipocket.

BOb

rcuadro
03-15-2009, 05:36 AM
Where did you get the LRF files? Most sources for these files also contain other formats such as mobipocket.

BOb

Some of them are from the sony store and I am trying not to count those books as a loss...
I did download the books again that I got from feedbooks and maybooks.net so those are not a problem...

HarryT
03-15-2009, 05:43 AM
Some of them are from the sony store and I am trying not to count those books as a loss...
I did download the books again that I got from feedbooks and maybooks.net so those are not a problem...

Books downloaded from the Sony Store will be "LRX" files, generally speaking, not "LRF". These cannot be converted to other formats.

JSWolf
03-15-2009, 08:15 AM
I sort of have the hang of using LRFTools to convert them to something else... but what is the best format to convert LRFs to before converting them to mobi?

Ideas?:thanks:
Since some of these LRF, are LRX, why not just read then on your 505? It's a lot easier then the hassle of trying to convert.

rcuadro
03-15-2009, 09:51 AM
Since some of these LRF, are LRX, why not just read then on your 505? It's a lot easier then the hassle of trying to convert.

Because I want to sell my 505 now that I have a Kindle 2 :thumbsup:

rcuadro
03-15-2009, 09:55 AM
Is there something that will convert LRX's?

AnemicOak
03-15-2009, 10:57 AM
Is there something that will convert LRX's?

Nope. Sony's DRM has not been broken.

pilotbob
03-15-2009, 11:44 AM

Well... that might be the case. About the only way I can think to convert them it to cut-n-paste them from the Sony eBook Library viewer into files... then format and create a mobi book with them using Mobicreator or Book designer.

I'm not even sure if this is possible. The Sony viewer may block cut-n-paste. I have never tried it.

BOb

AnemicOak
03-15-2009, 11:50 AM
Well... that might be the case. About the only way I can think to convert them it to cut-n-paste them from the Sony eBook Library viewer into files... then format and create a mobi book with them using Mobicreator or Book designer.

I'm not even sure if this is possible. The Sony viewer may block cut-n-paste. I have never tried it.

BOb

IIRC it does block cut 'n paste on DRM'd books.

pilotbob
03-15-2009, 11:51 AM
IIRC it does block cut 'n paste on DRM'd books.

Ah... well in that case... Screen Grabs and OCR. But, at this point it doesn't see cost effective. I would say, read them on your 505 or keep your Sony software/account so you can read them on your PC.

BOb

kevindorsey
03-15-2009, 05:11 PM
Can LRF be converted to .txt and back to kindle somehow?

Lilly
03-15-2009, 07:50 PM

Here's the difference, LRF is non-DRM Sony files and LRX is a DRM Sony file; Sony store ONLY sells LRX (DRM has not been broken and can only be read on Sony reader and computer). Yes, Sony has a library software that allows you to read your books from 6 different devices, and those devices can be readers or computers. Like I have the Sony library installed on 3 computers and I have my reader, so I can download a book purchased from Sony on all 4. So an LRF fife (non-drm Sony file) could easily be converted to Mobi by Calibre.

AnemicOak
03-15-2009, 08:07 PM

Look at LRF Tools, but you'd be better of with something else like epub or html then Kindle/Mobi as opposed to txt. With txt you lose things like em dashes and italics from the book, and sometimes other formatting.