View Full Version : Mobipocket compatibility

ckirchho
03-06-2009, 07:05 AM
Hello,

we are currently producing e-books in epub format. The files automatically are generated by certain xsl transformations.
During the last days we developed and adjusted the workflow (beginning with very basic epubs) and integrated features like cover images and usage of CSS and XPGT styling.

The first rather basic epub files we created, were readable by the Mobipocket application.

The newer files are not. I did some tests and took out the CSS styling again, but still there is something in the newer epub files that prevents Mobipocket from loading them. I fact they get loaded and processes somehow apparently, as Mobipocket shows a progress bar when trying to open such a file, but in the end the book doesn't appear in the software, it is not opened and no error message appears either.

Is there any way to find out whether an epub file is compatible with the Mobipocket reader or not?

Best regards,

Christian Kirchhoff

wallcraft
03-08-2009, 05:38 AM
What Windows MobiPocket Reader does is import an ePub and export (and display) a MOBI. However, its support of ePub is very poor (e.g. you will loose the TOC). I suggest using Calibre for ePub to MOBI conversion. It does a good job, and bugs get fixed very quickly.

The Calibre approach won't work if you want to add DRM, since (strangely) MobiPocket Creator will not import MOBI.

jimad
03-19-2009, 06:37 PM
Lexcycle Stanza is another option for the EPUB to MOBI route.

igorsk
03-19-2009, 08:03 PM
...if you don't care about pictures or bold or italic.

jimad
03-20-2009, 12:33 PM
....yes exactly, and from a Dos Box one can also simply do a:

mobigen yourfile.epub

in order to generate:

yourfile.mobi

and again you lose the picture as far as I can tell. Anybody been able to figure out more about how to use mobigen with ePubs?

JSWolf
03-20-2009, 12:46 PM
Just use Calibre to go from ePub to Mobipocket. It is the best solution available.

wallcraft
03-20-2009, 01:06 PM
mobigen yourfile.epub Calibre's equivalent command line is: any2mobi --compress yourfile.epub There are many other options, see User's Manual - any2mobi (http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/user_manual/cli/any2mobi.html).

jimad
03-28-2009, 11:26 AM
Yes, thank you, I am getting very good results with any2mobi -- occassional crashes however -- but overall I am very impressed. Also it is cool that it can directly accept .zip files and figure out what to do with them!