03-05-2009, 05:52 PM
I've been searching the forums and the web but I haven't got a definitive answer yet.
1) Can you have justified text in an ePub book?
2) If I buy a book in ePub format, will it have justified text?
3) Can Calibre create an ePub file with justified text? (I haven't managed to make it work yet)
4) If Calibre cannot create a justified ePub, what program(s) can I use?
Many thanks for any insights. Hopefully this thread will help some other people with the same questions.
03-05-2009, 05:55 PM
First, do you mean "full justification"?
I'm pretty sure the justification depends on the viewer software and not the ebook file.
03-05-2009, 07:06 PM
So far, it appears that the latest version (v1.7.1079 is what I have) of Adobe Digital Editions for desktops (PC/Mac) supports full-justification (text-align: justify); the version of ADE that runs on the Sony Reader PRS-505/700 does not, even though full-justification in BBeB files works just fine on the Sony. I keep hoping a firmware update is forthcoming to address this (even though it seems there are a lot of folks in the we-prefer-ragged-right-text camp).
Cygfrydd Llewellyn | email@example.com
I think I would like to go into modelling. Of course, I donít know how to
do it, and wouldnít be any good at it if I did, so Iím going to employ
someone to walk the catwalks on my behalf. It would still be *me*, of
ó Terry learns Naomi Campbell has written a book.
(Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)
03-05-2009, 07:17 PM
as the other replies have mentioned, justified text depends on the viewer at this point. the epub spec has added support which can be viewed in the latest version of Adobe's Digital Editions desktop viewer, so justified epubs are definitely possible. feedbooks already supports this option. so far it's not yet available on mobile devices but we can hope for a firmware update in the near future. ideally, of course, this will be a user-specified preference, as opinions do vary (as noted by Cygfrydd).
03-06-2009, 03:09 AM
1. The book itself can specify whether it wants to be displayed using left or full justification.
2. The viewing application may or may not "honour" the justification option specified by the book. Currently, the desktop version of the ADE Reader will honour a request to display a book with full justification; the version that's in the Sony Reader will not do so.
03-07-2009, 02:35 PM
Ah, now I understand!! So ePub can do it, but my Sony PRS-505 cannot. That is very annoying, I really hope they come out with a firmware upgrade. Thanks for the replies. :)