Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-03-2009, 02:16 PM   #1
ewayde
ewayde began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Question Will You Upgrade K1 to K2?

My wife is eagerly awaiting my Kindle 1, when I get my Kindle 2 for my birthday. (25 Oct for you generous types). However, each day I wonder more if I'm going to buy the K2. My biggest disappointment is the lack of SD card slot.

My reason for buying the K1 was it's ability to search for items across the entire holdings of the Kindle. If I loaded a number of technical reference books into the Kindle (SD card), I could then search on a word, phrase, etc., and see every book I have and where the results are. With "only" 1.4gb or so of space and no way to increase it on the K2, I'm not sure I want to give up my K1.

Are you planning to upgrade? Why or why not.

Wayde
ewayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:02 PM   #2
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewayde View Post
Are you planning to upgrade? Why or why not.
I'm not. The new form factor really does nothing for me, I like the funky scroll wheel better than the joystick, I like having a user-replaceable battery and the SD option, and the various small hardware and software improvements -- while nice -- aren't earth-shattering.

To me the K2 is more of a "1.5" device. I'll wait and see what happens with newer generations of hardware.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2009, 03:17 PM   #3
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
I very seriously doubt it. For everyone poopooing the battery issue, I can see mine is starting to have problems (just got it in November). And I have ordered the battery AGAIN! Let's see if it comes through finally. I read my Kindle every single day and parting with it for just that period of time would be excruciating. And while it is true that K2 holds 2K or thereabout books, and you can hold more on your account with Amazon, I want my books in my control on an SD card or something.

I'm holding out.

AND I WANT FOLDERS!

Last edited by krisk; 03-03-2009 at 03:19 PM. Reason: 'cause I want FOLDERS!
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:35 PM   #4
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I did upgrade because I failed my saving throw against shiny. But I am loving it! For books bought on Amazon, there is no real reason to keep them on the Kindle now, other than being out of Whispernet range, since you can directly access those you have purchased and removed from the main screen. For tech stuff that you got from elsewhere, not so much. Haven't tried searching the Amazon held books, yet. Will try that soon and get back to you.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:43 PM   #5
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisk View Post
AND I WANT FOLDERS!
That should be handled in firmware. If they decide to add it, it should be to all devices.

Personally, I'm fine with my K1. I've only had it 15 months. I'm curious about the K2 but not enough to upgrade. If something happened to my current Kindle, I'd happily buy a K2 to replace it rather than a used K1. The battery and SD card aren't a huge deal to me. I don't even have 1GB filled on my current one and I have hundreds of books. Any more and I'd really want folders. If the battery failed outside of the warranty period, I'd likely just replace it myself anyway. I like the new form factor and I can see why they decided to make some trade-offs (the battery more than the SD card). I view it more as an entry point for new users who maybe didn't like the looks of the old one so well. I don't think there are a lot of K1 users upgrading. Sure, there are a few here, but we're fanatics.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2009, 03:44 PM   #6
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I did upgrade because I failed my saving throw against shiny.
Never underestimate the power of shiny.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:35 PM   #7
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I like shiny too, but I decided not to upgrade.

I like how thin they made the K2, but didn't care for the slightly larger width and height. I also think I'm with Alisa on the battery. I would prefer to have a replacable battery, but that wasn't the deal breaker. The lack of an SD card on the other hand was an absolute deal breaker for me.

I already have around a thousand books, so I could easily see myself running into a problem. Although I don't do it now, I could also see myself adding audio books, or even some music to my Kindle and then I'd definately fill up the memory. I really don't understand why Amazon dropped the SD card support and the removeable battery -- my phone has both and is thinner than the K2. The lack of folders (or tags) a year after people have been clamoring for them is perplexing as well. I really like my K1, but I have mixed feelings in regards to Amazon as a company.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:47 PM   #8
Alisa
Gadget Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
I really don't understand why Amazon dropped the SD card support and the removeable battery -- my phone has both and is thinner than the K2.
I think the battery was likely due to the form factor they wanted. It's simpler to make a thin and solid case if you don't have to make it easy to open. Plus, user-replaceable batteries typically take more space due to extra housing and a more user-friendly connection mechanism.

My guess is that dropping the SD card was likely a customer service driven issue. A microSD slot is small and really doesn't add much cost to a device. Heck, it's even a sales opportunity since they'll likely be able to sell you the card, too. A single support call, however, can really eat into your margins. Whispernet only delivers to the internal memory. If it's small, then it fills up fast and you get people contacting support because they don't realize that's why they're not getting their content. Then they have to move content to external memory themselves. When you move a bunch of books at a time, the indexing can take a long time and eat up battery. I've even ended up with duplicates of files which caused the unit to be really slow until I deleted them and reset. I'm guessing they spent a lot of support time around these issues and decided it would be cheaper to increase the internal memory and remove the option to add more.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:19 PM   #9
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
My stepdad is being forced to upgrade - someone stole his Kindle on Sunday. We'll see if he likes it or not.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:39 PM   #10
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Nope..waiting for something better
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:54 PM   #11
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
My stepdad is being forced to upgrade - someone stole his Kindle on Sunday. We'll see if he likes it or not.
See, I took a different tact.....I bought anther used K1 to back up mine........no way do I want the k2!

No offense to those that have it...to each his own.....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:23 PM   #12
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
See, I took a different tact.....I bought anther used K1 to back up mine........no way do I want the k2!

No offense to those that have it...to each his own.....
He likes new stuff, so we'll see what happens.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:25 PM   #13
Alisa
Gadget Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Poor guy! I hope he didn't have anything on it that isn't backed up or from Amazon. Is he sure it's stolen and not just missing? My husband left his on a train once and some nice person turned it in to the lost and found.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:31 PM   #14
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Poor guy! I hope he didn't have anything on it that isn't backed up or from Amazon. Is he sure it's stolen and not just missing? My husband left his on a train once and some nice person turned it in to the lost and found.
Yeah, no one turned it in I told him any books he bought he still could have sent to his new one, so he was pretty happy about that.

Now my mom is going to put labels on all of our readers, lol!
Old 03-03-2009, 08:41 PM   #15
Alisa
Gadget Geek

That's why I keep a business card in my case. My husband started doing that, too.

Tags
kindle upgrade