View Full Version : Adobe ADEPT DRM for PDF circumvented

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

wallcraft
10-25-2009, 09:59 PM
What's the method of using the pdf/ePub scripts on a Mac? There is a thread for that, see ePub & PDF decryption on Mac OSX (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54311). The latest post (#65) even has a way of getting the key without using a Windows PC.

silverraven
10-29-2009, 06:35 PM
First of all, thank you all very much! My mother is 83 years old, and just can't manage the whole downloading thing. And since I live 4 hours away, I can't go to her house to help her. But, using this method I am able to download for her, burn them to cd, mail them to her, then she can read them on her computer. I don't read them, and after she reads them once they are deleted.
But, my question is, do I have to get a key every time? This method is working with most books, but some are showing up as corrupt, but will open fine with DE initially. Any ideas?
I wish companies would realize how difficult they make getting ebooks for the elderly.
Thanks again!
S

Leep
10-29-2009, 06:59 PM
Getting the key is a one time thing and the same key works for either epub or pdf. The decrypting script is, of course, different for each format.

Not sure which scripts you have and are using, but those of us using the later scripts are not having any issues.

cheers

silverraven
10-29-2009, 07:26 PM
Well, since I can't ask where you get the scripts, if I pm you my email would you send them to me, or where to get them? I have V2, and V3 of the key.
Thank you, and my mother thanks you!
S

UntamedMaiden
10-30-2009, 05:45 AM
Thank you, @RobbieClarken and @wallcraft! I will try the method wallcraft linked me first, since it doesn't require Windows. Thanks again for taking the time to answer my question!

tagtog
10-30-2009, 11:57 PM
Hello, the script ineptkey.pyw v2 is work perfectely, but the script ineptpdf.pyw v3 not work for me.
Pls help me to find the current version of ineptpdf.pyw

Spectrum
11-06-2009, 07:22 AM
Hello, the script ineptkey.pyw v2 is work perfectely, but the script ineptpdf.pyw v3 not work for me.
Pls help me to find the current version of ineptpdf.pyw

Just curious why you need current version of ineptpdf if v2 is working perfectly.

tootees
11-08-2009, 02:15 PM
Silverraven said..."But, my question is, do I have to get a key every time? This method is working with most books, but some are showing up as corrupt, but will open fine with DE initially. Any ideas?"

I'm having the same problem: It works on some books, but not all. This is the first time I've run into this. The ineptkeypdf says the book has been successfully decrypted; however, Calibre will not convert the file, says it's still DRM'd, though the book opens in ADE easily and even Adobe Reader 7.0. I obtained the scripts through a Dutch website mentioned on I Love Cabbages blog and another through uTorrent.

Any suggestions/work-arounds?
Thanks
Terri T.

silverraven
11-08-2009, 04:12 PM
Terri,
I don't know if this will help you, but I had to push Decrypt 2 or 3 times on some of the books before they were 'decrypted' for me. Only on some of them, most worked great the first time.
S

fishhawk101
11-10-2009, 11:33 PM
I have purchased about 20 books in secure epub format and I am frustrated with the thought that at some point in the future I may not be able to read them if I change readers. I love calibre, but it only converts unsecured ebooks.
Does anyone know if any of the commercial software programs convert these types of books by removing the code? I have googled and there is plenty of software for itunes but I am not seeing any for epub.
I am a basic computer user and tried to follow the instructions to convert using Python, but I must admit working with the code and getting it to work was beyond me.
Any help is appreciated.

pdurrant
11-11-2009, 04:53 AM
There is no such software for sale in the US, as it would break US law (DMCA).

The python scripts are the only way to go.

I have purchased about 20 books in secure epub format and I am frustrated with the thought that at some point in the future I may not be able to read them if I change readers. I love calibre, but it only converts unsecured ebooks.
Does anyone know if any of the commercial software programs convert these types of books by removing the code? I have googled and there is plenty of software for itunes but I am not seeing any for epub.
I am a basic computer user and tried to follow the instructions to convert using Python, but I must admit working with the code and getting it to work was beyond me.
Any help is appreciated.

tagtog
11-13-2009, 06:47 PM
Hi all! I'm new to this forum. I applied ineptpdf for my McGraw-Hill ebook and I got:

· ineptpdf v2 => said "successfully decrypted" but it contained only blank-pages
· ineptpdf v3 => said "error decrypting book session key"
· ineptpdf v4 => said "error decrypting book session key"

Any help would be appreciated!

I have the same problem, Plz help us.

ChristopherTD
11-18-2009, 03:37 AM
In a brain spasm of unbelievable stupidity I purchased an Adept PDF last night, because I was thinking "Adobe Digital Editions" meant ePub as that was what I was going to run immediately afterwards to download the ePub. When I looked at the screen afterwards there was ePub sitting above it as the other format that I should have selected. Doh.

So now I need to trawl through this long thread to find a hint as to where the latest ineptpdf.py might be lurking (v.2 doesn't seem to work). Unless some kind individual can PM me the location?

I have successfully unlocked ePubs so that I can read them in Stanza on my iPhone, so I have the adeptkey.der file. Just need ineptpdf?

Many thanks
Christo the foolish

imeagor
11-19-2009, 09:13 PM
Hi all! I'm new to this forum. I applied ineptpdf for my McGraw-Hill ebook and I got:

· ineptpdf v2 => said "successfully decrypted" but it contained only blank-pages
· ineptpdf v3 => said "error decrypting book session key"
· ineptpdf v4 => said "error decrypting book session key"

Any help would be appreciated!

where can I find ineptpdf v4, thanks

Grauheim
11-25-2009, 08:25 AM
Has anyone seen this error:

DRM'd PDF loads fine in ADE.
ineptpdf v3 runs without complaint
When opening the resulting PDF in Adobe Reader 9.1, I get the error "There was an error opening this document. There was a problem reading this document (131)".

There was a suggestion here (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40238&page=24) to use nitroPDF to open it and resave, but nitroPDF fails to load the file.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them. Thanks!

suecsi
11-25-2009, 09:00 AM
You don't necessarily get an error message when decrypting pdfs that then fail to open (at the time of using ineptpdf) - they just don't.

In Vista at least, when the pdf file is created, if you click on the icon for the file you get a preview of the front page/cover. If it has not decrypted it stays with the standard Adobe/PDF reading program icon instead and cannot do the preview. When you open you get the error, though the file size would indicate that something of note has been created.

Grauheim
11-25-2009, 09:09 AM
Thanks for replying suecsi. Yes, that is indeed true, I am getting the generic icon, not a preview.

Interestingly the resulting file is readable with foxit reader. But not with Acrobat, and not with Calibre.

But is there any solution?

Spectrum
11-26-2009, 08:07 AM
Thanks for replying suecsi. Yes, that is indeed true, I am getting the generic icon, not a preview.

Interestingly the resulting file is readable with foxit reader. But not with Acrobat, and not with Calibre.

But is there any solution?

Some people have reported you decrypt 2 or 3 times to succeed.
Try this and see what happens.

tootees
11-28-2009, 02:10 PM
Is there something besides Adobe Digital Editions I can use to download DRM'd PDF's from the public library? I was trying to re-install ADE after a major crash and restore and it is coming up with Can't Find Digital Editions Folder. I don't know where the folder could have gone; it was in there when the whole system got zapped! LOL! Apparently I've made a mistake in thinking that the program would re-install without any problems. Silly me. Not only this, but Adobe Reader 7.0 doesn't look the same either, doesn't have the same logo, and didn't open the PDF's either - when everything worked fine before. How could this be? If it's not obvious, I'm at my wit's end! HELP!!!

Sydney's Mom
11-28-2009, 02:30 PM
Did you make sure the previous edition of ADE was removed from your computer before you reinstalled? Once you reinstall, you will need to activate, with the same email and password you used before. I found I needed to go back to the library and redownload the books I had checked out.

Leep
11-28-2009, 03:03 PM
Is there something besides Adobe Digital Editions I can use to download DRM'd PDF's from the public library? I was trying to re-install ADE after a major crash and restore and it is coming up with Can't Find Digital Editions Folder. I don't know where the folder could have gone; it was in there when the whole system got zapped! LOL! Apparently I've made a mistake in thinking that the program would re-install without any problems. Silly me. Not only this, but Adobe Reader 7.0 doesn't look the same either, doesn't have the same logo, and didn't open the PDF's either - when everything worked fine before. How could this be? If it's not obvious, I'm at my wit's end! HELP!!!

Your Digital Editions folder should be in the path my documents/my digital editions. If it is not, recreate a new folder with that name under my documents and try again. When you download from the library, choose "open" not save. This should open the book in ADE - but you must be patient, it takes a few seconds for the loading process to work after ADE opens. You should see a little box in the middle of the ADE screen, and if you have a failure, it will show you where. A fix that works for me if that happens, is to close ADE and reopen it. You should get an alert that it has not completed prior tasks and ask if you want to continue then. When you click yes, everything seems to get fixed automatically.

cheers

cheers

tootees
11-28-2009, 09:14 PM
Thank you, thank you, Leep! ADE is back - and all by itself! Like magic. Now if only I could find the Reader I had. That hasn't shown up so I am without a PDF reader for now. Can I still download AR 7.0 or maybe 7.1.0 - or another pdf reader and not have it interfere with ADE?

Thanks again.
Cheers

victor_2203
11-30-2009, 08:59 PM
Hello and congratulations for this fantastic forum!!

It's incredible!! In 2009 and the Adobe's DRM protection seems to be unbreakable!! I can't believe it!! The method of Python 2.6 + Pycrypto + ineptkey v3.pyw... etc is effective in some cases. When the ebook have a DRM protection more sophisticated, this method is useless.
In the next link is the method very well explained, a complete illustrated tutorial and the needed files to download:

http://rapid.org/board/showthread.php?p=1035319

Is incredible that more sophisticated method is an screen capture with Copistar (the only software which is able to capture the screen in Adobe Digital Editions). Unfortunately this software hasn't a crack yet. With demo version the results of screen capture and the final PDF file generated are quite good.

Is there some way to circumvent the DRM protection of complex PDF files?

NOTE: I was making test with method Python 2.6 + Pycrypto + ineptkey v3.pyw... etc and I saw a curious thing.
In first place, if you open several times the .acsm file with ADE, the program generates several encrypted PDF files in the My Digital Editions folder. One encrypted PDF file for each time that the .acsm file has been opened. Note that all the encrypted PDF files generated by ADE are differents but all of them have the same name. Ok.

When you are in the step to decrypt the PDF file with the ineptpub v2.pyw script, if you don't close the window and then decrypt another encrypted PDF file but with another output name, the script generates a EPUB file for the second, third, fourth... What's the reason for this?!
However, if then you try to decrypt the EPUB file with this method for EPUB files, the ineptpub v2.pyw script can't open the file.

joblack
12-01-2009, 02:21 AM
What do you mean with more complex drm files? The script sometimes doesn#t work when you have some particular pdf 1.5 features included.

That's not the fault of the decryption routine but mostly the 'dump method' which has to be adjusted.

Before you ask, I shortly checked it out but I'm working on my thesis right now and haven't had the time to go deep into it.

Additionally there seem to be a fileopen drm plugin for the Adobe Reader which also hasn't been circumvented. Might be includable in the actual script.

We'll see ...

victor_2203
12-01-2009, 08:17 AM
Finally I have got the code to compile the ineptpdf v3 script file. If I use this sript for decrypt a PDF file with DRM protection I get an error during the process: "error decrypting book session key".
However if I use the ineptpdf v2 script I get a PDF file without DRM protection but with all pages blank. Adobe Acrobat Pro 9 can't open it, but if I use the Nitro PDF Pro 6 I can open the PDF file (with blank pages) and I can check that version is a PDF v1.4.

Is there any solution to solve the error message "error decrypting book session key"?
Where I can to get the file or code for ineptpdf v4?

wallcraft
12-01-2009, 10:04 AM
Is there any solution to solve the error message "error decrypting book session key"? Can you open the PDF with Adobe Digital Editions? In the associated ePub thread it was reported that this error could mean that the ebook isn't registered to your AdobeID. Like most circumvention tools, ineptpdf only works on ebooks you own.

victor_2203
12-01-2009, 11:12 AM
Yes. I can open the ebook (.acsm file and PDF file). If I try to open with Adobe Acrobay 9 Pro the encrypted PDF file generated by AED in My Digital Editions folder, Acrobat can't open it but redirect to AED.
The book is mine. I bought it in a Spanish Academy of Oppositions in .acsm format. If the Adobe ID and the registered user name in the web page of the Academy is the same, the book is registered to my Adobe ID, isn't it?

wallcraft
12-01-2009, 11:44 AM
I bought it in a Spanish Academy of Oppositions in .acsm format. If the Adobe ID and the registered user name in the web page of the Academy is the same, the book is registered to my Adobe ID, isn't it? The .acsm file is just a stub that allows you to download the PDF encrypted for your AdobeID (the Academy does not have your AdobeID). If you downloaded the PDF within ADE and can open the PDF within ADE, then it is registered to your AdobeID.

I see that others have had this problem with some PDFs, so it is probably a bug in ineptpdf. The ineptepub script seems to be more robust, probably because the ePub file format is simpler.

victor_2203
12-01-2009, 05:51 PM
I have used the ineptpdf_v4 script and I can't decrypt my DRM PDF file.
I have the book registered with my Adobe ID. It's a PDF v1.4 and I can open it within ADE.

The ineptkey_v3 script generates the key succesfully, but the ineptpdf_v3 and ineptpdf_v4 don't work. Only works the ineptpdf_v2 generating a PDF with blank pages.

I don't understand. I need to print the book to study.

ambelgra
12-01-2009, 06:59 PM
I am new to this DRM business. I have the scripts (ineptkey.pyw and indeptpdf.pyw) but no Adeptkey.der is produced. Do the scripts have to be in a particular folder or should Digital Editions be open at the same time? Just looking for a little help.[/U][/U][/I]

[I]EDIT: Never mind, I had a bad ineptkey.

Grauheim
12-02-2009, 03:32 AM
I have used the ineptpdf_v4 script and I can't decrypt my DRM PDF file.
I have the book registered with my Adobe ID. It's a PDF v1.4 and I can open it within ADE.

The ineptkey_v3 script generates the key succesfully, but the ineptpdf_v3 and ineptpdf_v4 don't work. Only works the ineptpdf_v2 generating a PDF with blank pages.

I don't understand. I need to print the book to study.

Victor, Wallcraft answered your question above. It appears that ineptpdf has a bug that at least some of us have run into. It looks like for some documents, it successfully decrypts, but does not generate correct PDF. While I would love a workaround for this problem, I have yet to see one.

(Edit: I wrote Postscript when I meant PDF.)

joblack
12-02-2009, 06:46 AM
Victor, Wallcraft answered your question above. It appears that ineptpdf has a bug that at least some of us have run into. It looks like for some documents, it successfully decrypts, but does not generate correct postscript. While I would love a workaround for this problem, I have yet to see one.

Well it's not a bug it just doesn't support all new pdf 1.5+ features.

Grauheim
12-02-2009, 08:07 AM
Well... I call it a bug when it silently generates a PDF that Acrobat cannot read. But I'm certainly not complaining about this software, particularly given what I paid for it. :)

But none of this changes the fact that there's no workaround. If I'm wrong and you know about one, I'm all ears.

joblack
12-02-2009, 10:06 AM
Well... I call it a bug when it silently generates a PDF that Acrobat cannot read. But I'm certainly not complaining about this software, particularly given what I paid for it. :)

But none of this changes the fact that there's no workaround. If I'm wrong and you know about one, I'm all ears.

Well, I'm planing to take a second deeper look (it's just not my highest priority right now).

Last time the problem was that I haven't that deep inside in the exact standard conform pdf structure and no PDF-expert seem to have the interest in investing some time with me to figure out how to create a correct standard conform pdf 1.5+.

Grauheim
12-02-2009, 11:07 AM
Oh so you're actually maintaining this software? I'm very impressed!

victor_2203
12-02-2009, 04:12 PM
Yes joblack!! It's a very good new!! I hope you can solve the problem with PDF 1.5. It would be very very good!!
Thank you very much for all your great work!!

joblack
12-03-2009, 05:18 AM
Oh so you're actually maintaining this software? I'm very impressed!

Under legal circumstances I'm not (so Adobe: I don't maintain it - and don't send me fancy lawyer's letters either).

And I haven't done any adjustments and haven't touched the code ...

tralalala ... :2thumbsup

Grauheim
12-03-2009, 07:12 AM
What code? I don't see any code anywhere! Was somebody talking about code?

joblack
12-03-2009, 08:58 AM
What code? I don't see any code anywhere! Was somebody talking about code?

You're right - I just wanted to make it clear that

I know nothing about anything or nothing ... :chinscratch:

imeagor
12-04-2009, 12:13 AM
I click ineptpdf_v5 but nothing appears. why?

joblack
12-04-2009, 04:34 AM
I click ineptpdf_v5 but nothing appears. why?

Can you be more specific what you did (without giving URLs) ...

joblack
12-04-2009, 04:39 AM
Can anybody give me websites where I can originally download an e-book that doesn't work with the script (either with they bookkey error or other errors) so I can try it out for myself.

Should be free e-books or at least cheap ones.

mokkie
12-05-2009, 06:13 PM
i'm having a problem with the decryption. i get the key file fine and i can create the output pdf file but when i try to open this file it says "there was an error opening this document. there is an error reading this document (14)"

i'm running windows 7 64 bit if that helps

JohnTheRipper
12-05-2009, 06:21 PM
i'm having a problem with the decryption. i get the key file fine and i can create the output pdf file but when i try to open this file it says "there was an error opening this document. there is an error reading this document (14)"

i'm running windows 7 64 bit if that helps

Hi mokkie,

no luck at the moment. I've been with this issue since July and I've been waiting for the "working" script...:blink:

imeagor
12-05-2009, 08:29 PM
Can you be more specific what you did (without giving URLs) ...
My aim is to test version 5 of ineptpdf whether works well. I have downloaded a book from ebl database and this book can be deprotected by ineptpdf version 3 successfully. But when I tried to do the same with version 5 of ineptpdf, it failed to work. i.e. after I obtained the adeptkey.der and click ineptpdf_v5.pyw, nothing appears.

joblack
12-06-2009, 02:23 AM
My aim is to test version 5 of ineptpdf whether works well. I have downloaded a book from ebl database and this book can be deprotected by ineptpdf version 3 successfully. But when I tried to do the same with version 5 of ineptpdf, it failed to work. i.e. after I obtained the adeptkey.der and click ineptpdf_v5.pyw, nothing appears.

As far as I can see the script has two problems. The first is that some features of the pdf file aren't supported. The script works fine but the book isn't openable. The second is the bookkey error.

Can you give the book name (and where you obtained it) which aren't working under v5 but under v3. I'm also interested in a ebook source url (book name + online website) where the book doesn't work with a bookkey error.

Don't use the v5 version yet, it's an early alpha. The v3 (called v4 on the special website) is fine.

So: I need concrete examples (ebook name, where bought, what price), which error? At the moment I'm especially interested in the bookkey error.

joblack
12-07-2009, 05:30 AM
Cool - nobody seems to have a problem anymore.

Good to know :2thumbsup

victor_2203
12-07-2009, 09:43 AM
Nothing.
I can't decrypt my DRM PDF file.

pdurrant
12-07-2009, 01:29 PM
Nothing.
I can't decrypt my DRM PDF file.

Then I suggest you give details of what the PDF file is and where it can be obtained. See the post from joblack three messages back.

joblack
12-07-2009, 04:58 PM
Then I suggest you give details of what the PDF file is and where it can be obtained. See the post from joblack three messages back.

Yes I still need a source for an e-book where the bookkey error occures. And if possible it should be no reference or special interest ebook for >= 120 USD :p

tagtog
12-08-2009, 09:57 AM
As far as I can see the script has two problems. The first is that some features of the pdf file aren't supported. The script works fine but the book isn't openable. The second is the bookkey error.

Can you give the book name (and where you obtained it) which aren't working under v5 but under v3. I'm also interested in a ebook source url (book name + online website) where the book doesn't work with a bookkey error.

Don't use the v5 version yet, it's an early alpha. The v3 (called v4 on the special website) is fine.

So: I need concrete examples (ebook name, where bought, what price), which error? At the moment I'm especially interested in the bookkey error.

Hi joblack
you can trying with this for exemple "Transmissions et réseaux" wich bought in "http://livreelectronique.fnac.com/LIVRES/FICHES/27891.Livre" for 20.20 euro with the error "book key"

thank you

imeagor
12-08-2009, 07:52 PM

As what you said, it is indeed a alpha version with fatal problems. Now a new 5 version is well done.

PS: usually i obtain ebook from ebl. I do not try amazon, netlib, ellibs etc.

joblack
12-09-2009, 06:02 AM
I've got an example with the bookkey error - thanks for your support.

JohnTheRipper
12-13-2009, 04:07 PM
I've got an example with the bookkey error - thanks for your support.

Hi joblack,

I was debugging the script, and found that the error was because of the lenght of the book session key in line 1196 (v3 of the script). Maybe there's something wrong in RSA decrypting so that the decryption of the streams does not work.

The RSA decryption is based in the AES key generated by ineptkey script. Maybe is not an AES CBC_MODE key for PDF older versions. i♥cabbages said that uses AES in CBC mode with a random IV... or maybe is not RSA with PKCS#1 v1.5 padding, who knows?

All of these questions influence the dump method, because my "decrypted" PDF has the correct structure.

carpediem
12-14-2009, 06:31 AM
hi all,
i am really pleased to join that wonderful forum :thumbsup:
tell me please since the v5 of the script is not working i need to download the v3. can someone send me the link ?
thanks.

joblack
12-14-2009, 04:48 PM
Hi joblack,

I was debugging the script, and found that the error was because of the lenght of the book session key in line 1196 (v3 of the script). Maybe there's something wrong in RSA decrypting so that the decryption of the streams does not work.

The RSA decryption is based in the AES key generated by ineptkey script. Maybe is not an AES CBC_MODE key for PDF older versions. i♥cabbages said that uses AES in CBC mode with a random IV... or maybe is not RSA with PKCS#1 v1.5 padding, who knows?

All of these questions influence the dump method, because my "decrypted" PDF has the correct structure.

Hey John

Perhaps that could be one solution for the problem

Bug fixes of pycrypto:
==========
2.1.0beta1

* Modified RSA.generate() to ensure that e is coprime to p-1 and q-1.
Apparently, RSA.generate was capable of generating unusable keys.
==========

Try it with a newer py crypto version.
---
It complains because the first item in the array isn't equal 02. I don't know why it compares it because in the PDF Reference nothing is mentioned about the 2 as a check value.

I haven't checked out the length but if the length is wrong as well (should be 16 Bytes) then something else got wrong.

A good idea from you ...

The Adobe PDF Reference reads a little bit cryptic so in the worst case someone has to dive into the assembly code of ADE (like ILC did).

You only use RSA for decrypting the main decryption key for the symmetric RC4 or AES decryption method who is doing the main work. Only using RSA would be too slow in processing (especially for ebook readers).

imeagor
12-14-2009, 08:10 PM
to joblack, I have met a pdf file with drm decryption, however it can not be deprotected using present method given above. I have sent you a message about this, you can try.

JohnTheRipper
12-16-2009, 07:06 PM
Hi joblack,

Bad news. I've compiled new version from pycrypto, as you posted, and even pdfminer but no luck. I've regenerated the key using ineptkey and put it into ineptpdf but same error ocurred.

I'll try to keep searching a solution for decryption (maybe it's not a problem of an update but a research of the decryption algorithm for older versions)...

joblack
12-16-2009, 09:19 PM
Hi joblack,

Bad news. I've compiled new version from pycrypto, as you posted, and even pdfminer but no luck. I've regenerated the key using ineptkey and put it into ineptpdf but same error ocurred.

I'll try to keep searching a solution for decryption (maybe it's not a problem of an update but a research of the decryption algorithm for older versions)...

That's great news because you just eliminated an option.

See it that way, the Titanic needed several hours to sink to the ground and you can't expect to solve such a complex situation with a simple fix.

Delayed gratification and patience will bring us the solution - sooner or later.

tagtog
12-18-2009, 05:38 PM
For informations:
The ebooks which have EBX_HANDLER V.3 128 byte have the problem "book key error"
And the ebooks which have EBX_HANDLER V.4 128 byte are decrypted fine.

joblack
12-19-2009, 06:00 AM
For informations:
The ebooks which have EBX_HANDLER V.3 128 byte have the problem "book key error"
And the ebooks which have EBX_HANDLER V.4 128 byte are decrypted fine.

Good to know - I hope the 128 Bit decrypt algorithm isn't different from the 48 Bit one ... I will check that.

Btw. the plural of information is still information (it's different compared to the German language).

joblack
12-20-2009, 07:44 PM
# ineptpdf5.pyw, version 5
(...)
# 5 - removing small bug with V3 ebooks (anon)
(...)

It can be found at the usual places ;).

Might most probably solve the book session key error. Might not solve the bookkey error (if not report in the forum). And it most probably won't solve the problem where the pdfs are decrypted correctly (without error message) but then can't be opened (this is a pdf creation problem).

joblack
12-20-2009, 09:03 PM
Hi joblack,

The book session key problem is (most probably) solved. The Bookkey error could be still a problem.

IMHO this error only occures if you have registered and activated your ADE on a website where they gave you a RC4, DES, Tripple DES or RC2 instead of an AES with CBC.

see at:

The algorithms that shall be used to encrypt the enveloped data in the PKCS#7 object are: RC4 with key lengths up to 256-bits, DES, Triple DES, RC2 with key lengths up to 128 bits, 128-bit AES in Cipher Block Chaining (CBC) mode, 192-bit AES in CBC mode, 256-bit AES in CBC mode. The PKCS#7 specification is in Internet RFC 2315, PKCS #7: Cryptographic Message Syntax, Version 1.5 (see the Bibliography).

Anyway, only time will show if the bookkey error will be resistant (I never had one in my bought ebooks - if you still have one after trying out the new version drop me a line).

tagtog
12-21-2009, 12:02 AM
# ineptpdf5.pyw, version 5
(...)
# 5 - removing small bug with V3 ebooks (anon)
(...)

Might most probably solve the book session key error. Might not solve the bookkey error (if not report in the forum). And it most probably won't solve the problem where the pdfs are decrypted correctly (without error message) but then can't be opened (this is a pdf creation problem).

Wawwwwwwwwwwww
Its WOOOooOOOrK,
Thank you Joblack; :iloveyou:
:xmas::xmas::xmas:
Now we can Read And Print our ebooks; Which bought them at prices expensive.
Thank you Joblack for this release.

krischik
12-21-2009, 02:53 AM

The usual search engines did not put anything up - are there any hints on where those "usual places" are?

Martin

chorpler
12-21-2009, 03:46 AM
The usual search engines did not put anything up - are there any hints on where those "usual places" are?

Martin

People usually post things at pastebin.com. You can search for things like "ineptpdf" there.

JohnTheRipper
12-21-2009, 06:05 AM
Thank you very much joblack. I've seen changes from version 4, and these are changesin v5 (if ebx_V == 3: V = 3). I couldn't imagine such a change would make this script work.

Thanks joblack

joblack
12-21-2009, 06:34 AM
Thank you very much joblack. I've seen changes from version 4, and these are changesin v5 (if ebx_V == 3: V = 3). I couldn't imagine such a change would make this script work.

Yes the actual change was really small but the 'overhead' to understand what's really going wrong is another story. Of course if you already have the solution it immediately gets crystal clear (at least if you have studied the script for a while). :smack:

tagtog
12-21-2009, 07:15 AM
Now we can Automated The script "ineptpdf_auto_version5.pyw version 5"
:D
Thank you Joblack

joblack
12-21-2009, 07:25 AM
Now we can Automated The script "ineptpdf_auto_version5.pyw version 5"
:D
Thank you Joblack

I want to wait until enough feedback is available (especially for the bookkey error).

tagtog
12-21-2009, 07:41 AM
Ok; Joblack
I'm agree the script work 100%.

joblack
12-21-2009, 07:58 AM
Ok; Joblack
I'm agree the script work 100%.

There were some people with a bookkey (NOT book session key) error. If you still have this error please post it or contact me with further information.

tagtog
12-21-2009, 08:15 AM
Ok I will contact you if there is a new problem;
Currently I decrypted my All ebooks (9 ebooks).
2 ebooks from Amazon and 3 from Willy and others are French ebooks from numilog and no problems with this release.

popart
12-21-2009, 03:26 PM
and others are French ebooks from numilog and no problems with this release.

ineptpdf doesn't work for me with a french numilog pdf
Technologie des ordinateurs et des réseaux (Goupille) (http://www.numilog.com/fiche_livre.asp?PID=72640)
any help?
thanks in advance

joblack
12-21-2009, 03:57 PM
ineptpdf doesn't work for me with a french numilog pdf
Technologie des ordinateurs et des réseaux (Goupille) (http://www.numilog.com/fiche_livre.asp?PID=72640)
any help?
thanks in advance

More information, what is the problem:

Isn't the pdf readable (known problem) or do you get a bookkey error?

popart
12-21-2009, 04:15 PM
More information, what is the problem:

Isn't the pdf readable (known problem) or do you get a bookkey error?

i've tried with python 2.6 et pycrypto-2.0.1.win32-py2.6
script: ineptpdf_automated_version5.pyw

the decryption process seems very fast but the output isn't readable
one msg: error at opening + error at reading (131)

ps: the script work well with another pdf downloaded on informIT

joblack
12-21-2009, 04:20 PM

Did the pdf work with v4? You don't get a bookkey error or similar?

================================================== ========
The case where the script runs through but the pdf isn't open able is a known error for some pdfs (with only xref streams included) with pdf 1.5 or higher.

It's on the `to do list` but more important are any remaining logical decryption problems (like the bookkey error or other bugs which cancels the script execution prematurely).
================================================== ========

carpediem
12-21-2009, 05:43 PM
the version 5 worked perfectly with ebooks purchased from a website but still not useful with numilog ebooks i still get the same error 14.
any sollution ?

joblack
12-21-2009, 06:01 PM
the version 5 worked perfectly with ebooks purchased from a website but still not useful with numilog ebooks i still get the same error 14.
any sollution ?

Please be specific - will you get the error 14 in your pdf viewer or in the decryption script?

JohnTheRipper
12-21-2009, 06:04 PM
Yes the actual change was really small but the 'overhead' to understand what's really going wrong is another story. Of course if you already have the solution it immediately gets crystal clear (at least if you have studied the script for a while). :smack:

I always got V = 124 ('cos of the ord(bookkey[0])) and the bookkey = bookkey[1:], shorting book key from 16 to 15 bytes long. So the error decrypting book session key was always raising...

I always thought that ebx_V was the correct variable instead of V.

:thanks:
:xmas:

joblack
12-21-2009, 06:19 PM
I always got V = 124 ('cos of the ord(bookkey[0])) and the bookkey = bookkey[1:], shorting book key from 16 to 15 bytes long. So the error decrypting book session key was always raising...

I always thought that ebx_V was the correct variable instead of V.

:thanks:
:xmas:

It is but ILC did a shortcut so he didn't have to use too much `if constructs` on the way to the success ;).

carpediem
12-21-2009, 07:32 PM
joeblack
the error 14 i get it when i open the pdf decrypted but normally the script say success

joblack
12-21-2009, 07:47 PM
joeblack
the error 14 i get it when i open the pdf decrypted but normally the script say success

All right that's a known problem - relax and enjoy the process ;).

I'm still waiting for all the guys complaining about the bookkey error.

Where are you? :chinscratch:

tagtog
12-21-2009, 09:33 PM

joeblack

This is not a problem:
Because The error 131 for who are using Acrobat 9 to open the file
And the error 14 for who using Acrobat 7 or 8

The solution is "After decrypting the document, try to open with Foxit Reader. the document will open directlly then go to Tools>Typewriter Tools>Typewrite Tool for to do something, and clik in any page the save econ will appear then save your document and close foxit reader and open your document with Acrobat"

:xmas:;)::D:D

discusaigon
12-22-2009, 03:20 AM
thanks,

I also usualy got the error 14 when I try to open a pdf,

I'll tell you if there is any change when I come back home

carpediem
12-22-2009, 04:05 AM
This is not a problem:
Because The error 131 for who are using Acrobat 9 to open the file
And the error 14 for who using Acrobat 7 or 8

The solution is "After decrypting the document, try to open with Foxit Reader. the document will open directlly then go to Tools>Typewriter Tools>Typewrite Tool for to do something, and clik in any page the save econ will appear then save your document and close foxit reader and open your document with Acrobat"

:xmas:;)::D:D

thanks tagtog :thumbsup:
good news guys that sollution is 100% working i have decrypted all my ebooks using it

discusaigon
12-22-2009, 06:23 AM
thank you very much, every thing worked as you said.

no more error 14 in adobe or foxit.

joblack
12-22-2009, 07:50 AM
thank you very much, every thing worked as you said.

no more error 14 in adobe or foxit.

It only screws up with the xref stream so most of the document is intact.

popart
12-22-2009, 12:12 PM
It only screws up with the xref stream so most of the document is intact.

works like a charm with foxit !! many thanks to tagtog and joblack
great job

jrm727
12-22-2009, 01:02 PM
Would someone be so kind as to PM me a link for the latest stable ineptpdf script? (V4? v5?)

Thanks!!!

tagtog
12-22-2009, 06:00 PM
Would someone be so kind as to PM me a link for the latest stable ineptpdf script? (V4? v5?)

Thanks!!!

in "pastebin.com" search for "ineptpdf.pyw"
v.5

victor_2203
12-23-2009, 09:04 PM
YES!!!
The new ineptpdf_v5.pyw works!! It's great!!

Skydog
12-24-2009, 12:28 AM
I've tried renaming the script and adding the .pyw extension, but it does not open any dialog box (as with previous versions). Nothing happens.

What am I missing? :blink:

Thank you.

joblack
12-24-2009, 07:41 AM
I've tried renaming the script and adding the .pyw extension, but it does not open any dialog box (as with previous versions). Nothing happens.

What am I missing? :blink:

Thank you.

Have you installed python 2.6 + pycrypt 2.6 (described earlier in this thread).?

JohnTheRipper
12-24-2009, 10:31 AM
Merry Christmas to all, and happy new year... hope a new year full of decrypted DRMs hohoho

:xmas::cool::p:rofl::bookworm::mrrox::bam::celebra te::party4::goodjob::dtw::sos:

joblack
12-24-2009, 10:58 AM
Merry Christmas to all, and happy new year... hope a new year full of decrypted DRMs hohoho

:xmas::cool::p:rofl::bookworm::mrrox::bam::celebra te::party4::goodjob::dtw::sos:

Yes - it was a good year for e-books. The big boom will come eventually.

And we will win the fight :2thumbsup

Skydog
12-24-2009, 12:06 PM
Have you installed python 2.6 + pycrypt 2.6 (described earlier in this thread).?

Joblack,

Yes. As noted, I've been using previous versions (v2 & v3) as well as ineptepub without any problem. Running Python 2.6. Even tried a fresh download of the script, checked the text and renamed again. No luck.

Thank you.

joblack
12-24-2009, 04:04 PM
Joblack,

Yes. As noted, I've been using previous versions (v2 & v3) as well as ineptepub without any problem. Running Python 2.6. Even tried a fresh download of the script, checked the text and renamed again. No luck.

Thank you.

use the command line and write

python $scriptname ....

the rest is the same and you will get an error message.

Skydog
12-24-2009, 08:28 PM
use the command line and write

python $scriptname ....

the rest is the same and you will get an error message.

Joblack,

Thank you for your assistance. I am not quite certain what I should be doing on the command line. I have tried python $scriptname and it gives me the "cannot open file" error. If I type python scriptname (no $) it results in the error below. :blink:

Should the filename follow the scriptname? (I tried and it did not work)

I am clueless. Sorry :(

File "ineptpdf5.pyw", line 2365
"separately. Read the top-of-script comment for details." %\
^
IndentationError: unexpected indent

joblack
12-24-2009, 08:59 PM
It's an indentation problem (python needs the right indentation).

No you should substitute the $SCRIPTNAME with the actual script file name.

homerj
12-24-2009, 09:34 PM
I have the same problem as Skydog, the v5 script from "pastebin.com" dosent do anything when you click on it.

I guess I will continue using the v3 script.

Skydog
12-24-2009, 10:09 PM
It's an indentation problem (python needs the right indentation).

No you should substitute the $SCRIPTNAME with the actual script file name.

Joblack,

Yes, of course. I did replace it with the actual file name. What I was saying was that regardless of including or not including "$" it was not successful.

What I was asking, perhaps poorly, was if the pdf filename should follow the scriptname (in this case ineptpdf.pyw). None of these methods work for me.

Thank you.

carpediem
12-25-2009, 09:41 AM
hi again,
i dunno if it is the right thread for that but i have a lot of french ebooks from numilog and other sites if someone is interested to do exchange i am ready for that.
thanks

victor_2203
12-25-2009, 09:57 AM
Hey!!!
Finally the ineptpdf_v5 works very very fine for me!!!
It's a great work!! This will be a good year for the PDF's decrypt!!
Thank you very much for all the people!!
I wish you a very good Christmas!!!
See you!!

joblack
12-25-2009, 10:24 AM
hi again,
i dunno if it is the right thread for that but i have a lot of french ebooks from numilog and other sites if someone is interested to do exchange i am ready for that.
thanks

Most probably not the right request on mobileread ;).

joblack
12-25-2009, 10:27 AM
Joblack,

Yes, of course. I did replace it with the actual file name. What I was saying was that regardless of including or not including "$" it was not successful.

What I was asking, perhaps poorly, was if the pdf filename should follow the scriptname (in this case ineptpdf.pyw). None of these methods work for me.

Thank you.

No the $ only gives a hint that it is a variable to be substituted. Indentation is a problem with the python indentation (python needs it to work).

Read a little bit about indentation and check the script for that (most probably there are spaces instead of tabulator spaces. Perhaps the wrong download source (if other people got it right).

JohnTheRipper
12-25-2009, 11:14 AM
No the $ only gives a hint that it is a variable to be substituted. Indentation is a problem with the python indentation (python needs it to work).

Read a little bit about indentation and check the script for that (most probably there are spaces instead of tabulator spaces. Perhaps the wrong download source (if other people got it right).

Maybe the problem is direct copy and paste from web explorer (most of indentations problems are caused by this), instead of direct downloading the script from pastebin (via download button). :chinscratch:

joblack
12-25-2009, 04:06 PM
Maybe the problem is direct copy and paste from web explorer (most of indentations problems are caused by this), instead of direct downloading the script from pastebin (via download button). :chinscratch:

Of course, we can't give a 'full service' ... :p

Skydog
12-25-2009, 04:45 PM

Joblack,

Thank you for the explanation. I've tried several downloads (sigh), both "download" and copy/paste. I'll look further at the script and see if I can apply what you explained. :(

JohnTheRipper
12-26-2009, 05:57 PM
Joblack,

Thank you for the explanation. I've tried several downloads (sigh), both "download" and copy/paste. I'll look further at the script and see if I can apply what you explained. :(

Skydog, for indent error use the reindent.py script that you find in the Tools/scripts/ directory of your Python installation. Have a look at that script for detailed usage instructions:

reindent [-d][-r][-v] [ path ... ]

-d (--dryrun) Dry run. Analyze, but don't make any changes to, files.
-r (--recurse) Recurse. Search for all .py files in subdirectories too.
-n (--nobackup) No backup. Does not make a ".bak" file before reindenting.
-v (--verbose) Verbose. Print informative msgs; else no output.
-h (--help) Help. Print this usage information and exit.

Change Python (.py) files to use 4-space indents and no hard tab characters.
Also trim excess spaces and tabs from ends of lines, and remove empty lines
at the end of files. Also ensure the last line ends with a newline.

If no paths are given on the command line, reindent operates as a filter,
reading a single source file from standard input and writing the transformed
source to standard output. In this case, the -d, -r and -v flags are
ignored.

You can pass one or more file and/or directory paths. When a directory
path, all .py files within the directory will be examined, and, if the -r
option is given, likewise recursively for subdirectories.

If output is not to standard output, reindent overwrites files in place,
renaming the originals with a .bak extension. If it finds nothing to
change, the file is left alone. If reindent does change a file, the changed
file is a fixed-point for future runs (i.e., running reindent on the
resulting .py file won't change it again).

The hard part of reindenting is figuring out what to do with comment
lines. So long as the input files get a clean bill of health from
tabnanny.py, reindent should do a good job.

The backup file is a copy of the one that is being reindented. The ".bak"
file is generated with shutil.copy(), but some corner cases regarding
user/group and permissions could leave the backup file more readable that
you'd prefer. You can always use the --nobackup option to prevent this.

Skydog
12-27-2009, 01:41 PM
JohntheRipper,

Thank you for the info, which I've saved. I downloaded the script from a different source and it works. Although both files I have are v5, they are not exactly the same.

Thank you again for your help. :thumbsup:

laura3937
12-27-2009, 04:34 PM
Hi trying to use inept pdf decryption keep getting back "unexpected EOF" error. Any ideas?

joblack
12-27-2009, 04:54 PM
Hi trying to use inept pdf decryption keep getting back "unexpected EOF" error. Any ideas?

Probably an old version and/or a new pdf type which isn't supported (yet). Try out the newest version and report here if it has solved the problem.

imeagor
12-27-2009, 09:47 PM
response information:

Today when I tried to use ineptpdf5.pyw on a pdf file, an error appeared saying:
Error: Dict Required :1810
however, when I used ineptpdf3.pyw on the same file, It works well.

laura3937
12-27-2009, 10:33 PM
Probably an old version and/or a new pdf type which isn't supported (yet). Try out the newest version and report here if it has solved the problem.

Thanks , that was the problem:thumbsup:

mariokart64n
12-28-2009, 04:52 AM
Hi. I'm having a problem.

I run the Key-retrieval script "ineptkey v3"

and it pops out a adeptkey.der file

I then run "ineptpdf.pyw v5"

fill in where my key is, my pdf and the output path.

hit decrypt, and get this Error:
String required: None

does anyone know what could be causing the problem?
the PDF is v1.6, is 1.6 not supported?

EDIT
^_^ haha omg it worked.
my problem was that I had to run it on the pdf specifically in my;
My Documents\My Digital Editions\ folder

I was running the app on the PDF from the website server. I guess the PDF is signed with a key once you download it.

homerj
12-28-2009, 07:54 AM
JohntheRipper,

I downloaded the script from a different source and it works. Although both files I have are v5, they are not exactly the same.

Would someone please PM me a link for the different source for the v5 script.
thanks

joblack
12-28-2009, 08:42 AM
EDIT
^_^ haha omg it worked.
y Documents\My Digital Editions\ folder

Yeah a little bit self work is expected (you could imagine a script which only says 'Go' but ... ;) - the Automated Inept PDF (aineptpdf) does more for itself but isn't hopped to v5 yet *hehe*).

PDF 1.5+ are supported but only when the pdf trailer isn't only in the xrefstream directory.

JohnTheRipper
12-28-2009, 09:06 AM
Yeah a little bit self work is expected (you could imagine a script which only says 'Go' but ... ;) - the Automated Inept PDF (aineptpdf) does more for itself but isn't hopped to v5 yet *hehe*).

PDF 1.5+ are supported but only when the pdf trailer isn't only in the xrefstream directory.

Let me extend your answer, 'cos mines are PDF 1.4. So latest version is PDF1.4+ supporting.:bookworm:

Also tested with ebooks with PDF 1.6 version.

joblack
12-28-2009, 09:53 AM
Let me extend your answer, 'cos mines are PDF 1.4. So latest version is PDF1.4+ supporting.:bookworm:

Also tested with ebooks with PDF 1.6 version.

The version doesn't matter that much - it works with 1.7 if the xref directory stream isn't available.

JohnTheRipper
12-28-2009, 10:25 AM
I agree with you, joblack, since this error doesn't matter what version does.

The String required: None error refers to line 789 which is str_value function. This is called in several places:

a) Line 1179: in initialize_ebx function, to convert ADEPT_LICENSE in string object. After decodes it from base-64.

b) Lines 1214 and 1215: in initialize_standard function, to convert owner and revision in string object.

c) Lines 1218 and 1219: in initialize_standard function, to convert user and password in string object.

So mariokart64n has tried to decrypt a drm'ed pdf so we're in case a).

The script can't convert ADEPT_LICENSE in string format or can't find, maybe parsing is not working, because that string is included in dictionary object (located at the end of the pdf, the line where Length, EBX_HANDLER.. are placed).:bookworm:

P.D.: Is this a "full service"? hehe. Sincerenly, I like helping people, like people helped me and incidentally, I learn more about the script for future issues.

joblack
12-28-2009, 11:21 AM
I agree with you, joblack, since this error doesn't matter what version does.

The String required: None error refers to line 789 which is str_value function. This is called in several places:

a) Line 1179: in initialize_ebx function, to convert ADEPT_LICENSE in string object. After decodes it from base-64.

b) Lines 1214 and 1215: in initialize_standard function, to convert owner and revision in string object.

c) Lines 1218 and 1219: in initialize_standard function, to convert user and password in string object.

So mariokart64n has tried to decrypt a drm'ed pdf so we're in case a).

The script can't convert ADEPT_LICENSE in string format or can't find, maybe parsing is not working, because that string is included in dictionary object (located at the end of the pdf, the line where Length, EBX_HANDLER.. are placed).:bookworm:

P.D.: Is this a "full service"? hehe. Sincerenly, I like helping people, like people helped me and incidentally, I learn more about the script for future issues.

The ADEPT_LICENSE is the encryption info directory. If you can't find neither that or the other incidence perhaps your ebook isn't encrypted after all? Or the parsing doesn't work - in any way it might be interesting to take a deeper look in it.

With 'full service' is the handling of the script meant. If you would adjust the script to one click you get less control (for instance: where should my ebook be saved, which key to use) and the script might do something you haven't expected. Needless to say if you change your key (through a new ADE registration) your ebooks are worthless without the keyfile.

I'm not against helping but some basic understanding is needed, but if you're too lazy for a quick read through the forum it's a redundant effort. Or less friendly RTFM (or Read the FAQS) ;) ...

JohnTheRipper
12-28-2009, 11:23 AM
Totally agree...

zarras
01-04-2010, 12:19 PM
I needed to change line 1203 in v5 (at least that's what it says at the top of the script) from:

if length and len(bookkey) != length:

to:

if length and (len(bookkey) / 2) != length:

...to stop the 'error decrypting book session key' error with a number of pdfs I have. They converted fine once I did that.

I assume it's a to/from unicode conversion problem with bookkey somewhere, so likely there is a more correct fix than the above.

JohnTheRipper
01-04-2010, 04:25 PM
I needed to change line 1203 in v5 (at least that's what it says at the top of the script) from:

Do you have problems with the vanilla version? or the recently modified?
What PDF version are your PDFs? (you can easily see it opening them with a text editor)

zarras
01-05-2010, 08:27 AM
Do you have problems with the vanilla version? or the recently modified?

'Fraid I'm not sure how to tell which one of vanilla or modified I have. I do have the same problem with v3. I don't know whether a similar change in v3 to the one I made in v5 would fix the problem there as I haven't tried it. Python is 2.6.4.

What PDF version are your PDFs? (you can easily see it opening them with a text editor)

PDF Version at the top is 1.6.
CFM is /V3
EBX_ENCRYPTIONTYPE is 5.
V is 4.

Note that I have other pdfs with those settings that convert fine without the code change. The difference appears to be that the ones that don't convert without the change have a LENGTH parameter of 64 set in the block at the end of the pdf, whilst the ones that do have no LENGTH parameter at all.

baum123
01-05-2010, 02:28 PM
Hello,

I tried to unlock a protected ebook with ineptpdf.pyw v5. It works without any errors.
But when I try to open the pdf File in Acrobat on some Pages it tells that the page can not be read (110).
This only happens if there are images on this page (but not on all pages with images). Text-Only Pages seems to work fine.

So can anyone help me to fix this Problem?

Thanks!

joblack
01-05-2010, 08:01 PM
'Fraid I'm not sure how to tell which one of vanilla or modified I have. I do have the same problem with v3. I don't know whether a similar change in v3 to the one I made in v5 would fix the problem there as I haven't tried it. Python is 2.6.4.

PDF Version at the top is 1.6.
CFM is /V3
EBX_ENCRYPTIONTYPE is 5.
V is 4.

Note that I have other pdfs with those settings that convert fine without the code change. The difference appears to be that the ones that don't convert without the change have a LENGTH parameter of 64 set in the block at the end of the pdf, whilst the ones that do have no LENGTH parameter at all.

Might be a new problem - without further investigation it isn't possible to tell more.

zarras
01-06-2010, 04:57 PM
Might be a new problem - without further investigation it isn't possible to tell more.

I've done some more poking about, and in these cases the bookkey recovered in PDFDocument.initialize_ebx() is 16 bytes long, but only the first 8 bytes actually have values, the last 8 bytes are all null. So the length is arguably the 64 bits specified.

However for the decryption to actually work those 8 null bytes have to be present (I tested that by slicing bookkey to make it the specified 64 bits, it resulted in a pdf that came up blank except for some boxes, whereas it decrypted okay with the full bookkey including the nulls), so at least for these pdfs raising of an error when len(bookkey) != length, seems to be the wrong thing to do.

ReBook
01-08-2010, 11:06 PM
Hi. I'm having a problem.

I run the Key-retrieval script "ineptkey v3"

and it pops out a adeptkey.der file

I then run "ineptpdf.pyw v5"

fill in where my key is, my pdf and the output path.

hit decrypt, and get this Error:
String required: None

does anyone know what could be causing the problem?
the PDF is v1.6, is 1.6 not supported?

EDIT
^_^ haha omg it worked.
My Documents\My Digital Editions\ folder

I was running the app on the PDF from the website server. I guess the PDF is signed with a key once you download it.

Thank you, help me along my way too

Now this is how I went through:

First I downloaded/installed python/pycrypto.

Then I got ineptkey.pyw, ineptepub.pyw(for epub files) ineptpdf.pyw v2 (for pdf files) put all them into my digital editions directory.

Ran ineptkey.pyw. It found the key and saved as "ADEPTKEY.DER " in the same directory where ineptkey.pyw is.

Then, I ran ineptpdf.pyw (v2 worked fine). In the dialog window I put the path to the input file(the file was in the my digital edition folder) and named a file name for the outfile file.

Voila DRM Free!

Elly
01-09-2010, 06:03 AM
Hi can anyone help me?

I am trying to decryped an dutch ebook with the new ineptpdf, but I am getting the following error "error decrypting book by session key".
I am using ineptkey version 2 to extract adeptkey.der
Is there anyone who can tell me how I can fix this.

Thank you so much

ReBook
01-09-2010, 02:12 PM
Hi can anyone help me?

I am trying to decryped an dutch ebook with the new ineptpdf, but I am getting the following error "error decrypting book by session key".
I am using ineptkey version 2 to extract adeptkey.der
Is there anyone who can tell me how I can fix this.

Thank you so much

Elly, try using ineptpdf 2. Is this 1.6pdf?

Zorz
01-13-2010, 02:12 AM
How well does this clean the file. I have successfully decrypted a few pdf's, but question how clean they are. Is it possible for a decrypted file to lets say tracked back to me.

kirbinster
01-13-2010, 05:30 PM
Strange PDF decrypt issue. Go two books from same source and used python to decrypt the first with no problem. Tried the second with the same v3 script and it appeared to work but would not open. So I tried the v5 script next and it gave me an error that says:
"Dict Required 1804"

What does that mean and how do I fix it.

joblack
01-13-2010, 06:14 PM
Strange PDF decrypt issue. Go to books from same source and used python to decrypt the first with no problem. Tried the second with the same v3 script and it appeared to work but would not open. So I tried the v5 script next and it gave me an error that says:
"Dict Required 1804"

What does that mean and how do I fix it.

Probably the well known pdf stream dictionary problem.

kirbinster
01-13-2010, 06:32 PM
Probably the well known pdf stream dictionary problem.

Thanks joblack. Would you be kind enough to summerize what the well known pdf stream dictionary problem is -- as it is not well known to me. Thanks.

joblack
01-13-2010, 07:04 PM
Thanks joblack. Would you be kind enough to summerize what the well known pdf stream dictionary problem is -- as it is not well known to me. Thanks.

If you have a pdf with a xref stream directory (means the trailer is in a stream and there is no additional trailer) the script doesn't work as it should.

It's a problem of the python script dump method but without some support from a pdf expert it isn't easy to always create a pdf which is standard conform.

So far no pdf format expert gave some help or suggestions for finding the bug (*wink wink*).

Terisa de morgan
01-16-2010, 04:05 AM
I have a problem with PDF 1.6, and I don't know if you can help me. I think I've used all the ineptpdf I found (2, 3, 5, 6) but they don't work. The program always say OK but the result file is encrypted and corrupt. It looks like the programs don't recognize the encryption (Flat Decode). I don't know if the difference is the structure. In a file ineptpdf treats well:

<</Length 10 /Filter /FlateDecode>>stream

In the wrong file :

<</Filter /FlateDecode /Length 3890>>stream

Thanks in advance

joblack
01-16-2010, 05:48 AM
I have a problem with PDF 1.6, and I don't know if you can help me. I think I've used all the ineptpdf I found (2, 3, 5, 6) but they don't work. The program always say OK but the result file is encrypted and corrupt. It looks like the programs don't recognize the encryption (Flat Decode). I don't know if the difference is the structure. In a file ineptpdf treats well:

<</Length 10 /Filter /FlateDecode>>stream

In the wrong file :

<</Filter /FlateDecode /Length 3890>>stream

Thanks in advance

Flatdecode just means it's decoded in ASCII Code - there is only a difference in the Length value - the rest is not relevant.

I suggest you read earlier posts about the pdf dump method problem ... which most probably is the root of all evil ;).

Olper
01-18-2010, 02:07 PM
I don't get it to work. I was able to generate 300 white pages with this tool :D
Anyone know what went wrong?

joblack
01-19-2010, 06:09 AM
I don't get it to work. I was able to generate 300 white pages with this tool :D
Anyone know what went wrong?

Perhaps if you would be more specific (version, what has been done, ...).

jamop
01-19-2010, 11:55 PM
I buy book from ebooks.com, but i can't read in another pc or laptop,
can anybody share how to crack this pdf drm, that only can read using adobe digital edition ??

thanxs in advance
jamop

brel
02-07-2010, 10:53 PM
Script is giving me this error message "error decrypting book session key" using ineptkey.pyw version 3 and ineptpdf.pyw version 5. At first the script wouldn't run due to an indentation problem, but I commented out the lines that were giving trouble and finally got to run it (it was some text message). Now I'm getting this and I don't have a clue as to what I should do. If you need anymore information just ask me. I read that you were talking about PDF version, however I don't know how to get that piece of information. If it helps, I got the book from netlibrary.com.

joblack
02-08-2010, 06:24 AM
Script is giving me this error message "error decrypting book session key" using ineptkey.pyw version 3 and ineptpdf.pyw version 5. At first the script wouldn't run due to an indentation problem, but I commented out the lines that were giving trouble and finally got to run it (it was some text message). Now I'm getting this and I don't have a clue as to what I should do. If you need anymore information just ask me. I read that you were talking about PDF version, however I don't know how to get that piece of information. If it helps, I got the book from netlibrary.com.

The 'format' of the key in the registry has changed with ADE 1.7.2 - either deregister/deinstall 1.7.2 (check in the epub section for a link and more information) and install 1.7.1 or you have to wait for a solution.

brel
02-11-2010, 11:58 PM
I tried with ADE 1.7.1 but the same happened. :(

ngorevic
02-12-2010, 06:50 AM
Ok, so I've tried ineptpdf versions 1-5, and I downgraded to ADE v1.71, and I'm still getting the book key error. I bought the ebook from lulu, and it's pdf v1.6.

One other slightly complicating problem is that based on someone's advice somewhere on here in a way earlier post, I deleted a registry key having to do with adobe. Now when I try to run the ineptkey, it comes up with this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users...ineptkey.py", line 198, in main
retrieve_key(keypath)
File "C:\Users...\ineptkey.py", line 159, in retrieve_key
type = winreg.QueryValueEx(regkey, None)[0]
WindowsError: [Error 2]

The system cannot find the file specified

I had already ran it before that though, so I've been using the older adeptkey file when I'm trying to decrypt. Which is from before I downgraded ADE. Should that matter? If so, anyone know how to fix the registry?

Thanks so much for all your work on this. I bough the book quickly without reading the fine print and I was shocked to find out it wouldn't display on my kindle. I thought we were out of the stone age with this DRM nonsense. The book industry should get its act together very soon on this stuff or they're going to pay with huge piracy losses.

joblack
02-12-2010, 12:44 PM
Ok, so I've tried ineptpdf versions 1-5, and I downgraded to ADE v1.71, and I'm still getting the book key error. I bought the ebook from lulu, and it's pdf v1.6.

One other slightly complicating problem is that based on someone's advice somewhere on here in a way earlier post, I deleted a registry key having to do with adobe. Now when I try to run the ineptkey, it comes up with this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users...ineptkey.py", line 198, in main
retrieve_key(keypath)
File "C:\Users...\ineptkey.py", line 159, in retrieve_key
type = winreg.QueryValueEx(regkey, None)[0]
WindowsError: [Error 2]

The system cannot find the file specified

I had already ran it before that though, so I've been using the older adeptkey file when I'm trying to decrypt. Which is from before I downgraded ADE. Should that matter? If so, anyone know how to fix the registry?

Thanks so much for all your work on this. I bough the book quickly without reading the fine print and I was shocked to find out it wouldn't display on my kindle. I thought we were out of the stone age with this DRM nonsense. The book industry should get its act together very soon on this stuff or they're going to pay with huge piracy losses.

If you have upgraded to 1.7.2 and it had already changed your registry keys you've got a problem. You either should have saved the old registry (so hop on your time machine ;) ) or you have to delete the registry entries relevant to ADE and reinstall ADE 1.7.1 and activate again (if possible).

leito360
02-13-2010, 07:51 AM
HELP ME

I downloaded an ebook from ebooks.com, i cannot remove its protection.
I did everything. First, i installed ADE 1.7.2, downloaded the ebook. Later i installed ADE1.7.1085.
I tried with the script ineptpdfv5.pyw but i get somekind of error "Error: Dict requiered: 1215"
I don't understand... later, i tried with ineptpdfv2.pyw and I get the error "error decrypting book session key", I don't understand, it's unfair, I paid for the ebook I could do everything I want with it.

Please help me, i'm tired and desperate.

joblack
02-13-2010, 08:21 AM
HELP ME

I downloaded an ebook from ebooks.com, i cannot remove its protection.
I did everything. First, i installed ADE 1.7.2, downloaded the ebook. Later i installed ADE1.7.1085.
I tried with the script ineptpdfv5.pyw but i get somekind of error "Error: Dict requiered: 1215"
I don't understand... later, i tried with ineptpdfv2.pyw and I get the error "error decrypting book session key", I don't understand, it's unfair, I paid for the ebook I could do everything I want with it.

Please help me, i'm tired and desperate.

You have to uninstall 1.7.2 - remove registry entries, install 1.7.1 and download it with this version (not with 1.7.2) then it should work ...

Btw. stop wining about it ... delayed gratification is the best of all.

leito360
02-13-2010, 08:34 AM
Is it fine if my 1.7.1 version is 1085?

Thanks.

I tried... don't work, i'm worried.

joblack
02-13-2010, 12:14 PM
Is it fine if my 1.7.1 version is 1085?

Thanks.

I tried... don't work, i'm worried.

Try the new ineptkey v4 with the new 1.7.2 and report back[

stewball
02-13-2010, 12:24 PM
If you have updated to 1.7.2, and the key doesn't work anymore, do this. It has worked for many people.

Just uninstall the new version, delete the ADEPT folder in the Registry.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Software>Adobe>ADEPT

Delete the My Digital Editions folder in My Documents. Reboot computer. Re-install the old version provided in the link below. Reactivate ADE.

Run the Ineptkey again to obtain the Adeptkey.der.

Then you should be good to go. I even tried the update again, and I was still able to remove DRM.

http://drop.io/a1bdxlq

leito360
02-13-2010, 04:09 PM
I'm able to decrypt the file, but it's corrupted, which version of the script should I use?
Can someone send me that version by PM?

Thanks.

leito360
02-13-2010, 04:37 PM
THANKS EVERYONE
I tried with version 5 the one who decrypts entire directories and it worked!!!

Thanks!!!!!!

ngorevic
02-15-2010, 09:22 AM
Amazing! I can now read the book I paid for on my kindle. Thanks for the help! I can't believe how amazing it is that I now have access to my own content. Thanks for nothing adobe!

If you have updated to 1.7.2, and the key doesn't work anymore, do this. It has worked for many people.

joblack
02-16-2010, 09:31 AM
Ineptpdf, version 6
aineptpdf version 6.2
with adeptkey4.der and 1.7.2 support

brainysmurf
02-18-2010, 08:46 AM
I have inept working with my library with Digital Editions under Mac OS X Snow Leopard, thank you for your efforts. Some of the files seem to have an extra layer of compression on them; after successfully decrypting them they can't be opened with Preview, or some of them can be opened but are garbled. Any thoughts on what might be going on?

JSWolf
02-18-2010, 08:57 AM
Ineptpdf, version 6
aineptpdf version 6.2
with adeptkey4.der and 1.7.2 support

Question... which is better... the tools using adpetkey.der or the tools using adeptkey4.der?

joblack
02-18-2010, 09:12 AM
Question... which is better... the tools using adpetkey.der or the tools using adeptkey4.der?

If ineptkey 4.3 works for all win versions (and it looks that way) adeptkey.der ist better (the scripts are also compatible to the mac ineptkey). The adeptkey4.der tools are trying all available keys so they are more error prone (if adobe changes the scheme again).

I recommend: Go with the newest (adeptkey.der) scripts and if they doesn't work for you report and fall back to the 'old ones'.

joblack
02-18-2010, 09:14 AM
I have inept working with my library with Digital Editions under Mac OS X Snow Leopard, thank you for your efforts. Some of the files seem to have an extra layer of compression on them; after successfully decrypting them they can't be opened with Preview, or some of them can be opened but are garbled. Any thoughts on what might be going on?

The script has problems with a pdf 1.5+ feature (xrefstreamdirectores) - the problem is known and would like to be fixed (but no pdf format expert has volunteered to share his/her wisdom yet).

pietvo
02-19-2010, 01:25 PM
If I could get one of the failing PDF's I might have a look.

Terisa de morgan
02-19-2010, 04:51 PM
If I could get one of the failing PDF's I might have a look.

If you want, I can send you one (no way to decrypt it).

joblack
02-21-2010, 08:50 PM
If you want, I can send you one (no way to decrypt it).

It is decrypted but it isn't assembled in the wrong way.

Terisa de morgan
02-22-2010, 12:30 AM

Sorry, I don't understand.

pietvo
02-22-2010, 03:14 AM
There is more to it, but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

joblack
02-22-2010, 08:57 AM
Sorry, I don't understand.

Sorry it was late ;) ... here's the right one:

It is decrypted right but at the end it is assembled in the wrong way (unreadable for pdf readers).

Terisa de morgan
02-22-2010, 11:31 AM
Thank you, it was early in the morning when I read it, so I wasn't very bright ;)

pietvo
02-22-2010, 01:09 PM
Are you bright now? :D

Terisa de morgan
02-22-2010, 03:57 PM
Like a candle :D

pietvo
02-22-2010, 06:15 PM
There appears to be ineptpdf7.pyw that also works for pdfs with xrefstream directories.

joblack
02-23-2010, 01:11 AM
As mentioned by pietvo ineptpdf 7 was released by anon2 and will solve problems with the remaining non-working pdf e-books.

Diana495
02-23-2010, 03:48 PM
Apologies if this has been already answered. I've looked through the thread, and it's totally possible that I may have read the answer without knowing it was the answer. :p

I usually use a Mac, on a PC with Windows XP today and I'm having trouble with a pdf. I have everything set up, and I can decrypt most pdf files, but one of them keeps giving me an Error: Dict required: 1052. I have no idea what that means.

I'm using Digital Edition 1.7.2, ineptkey.pyw v4.3, and ineptpdf7.pyw.

Thank you!

stewball
02-24-2010, 08:43 AM
Apologies if this has been already answered. I've looked through the thread, and it's totally possible that I may have read the answer without knowing it was the answer. :p

I usually use a Mac, on a PC with Windows XP today and I'm having trouble with a pdf. I have everything set up, and I can decrypt most pdf files, but one of them keeps giving me an Error: Dict required: 1052. I have no idea what that means.

I'm using Digital Edition 1.7.2, ineptkey.pyw v4.3, and ineptpdf7.pyw.

Thank you!

I got that before also. But I was on 1.7.1 and had at the time several version of ineptepub to use. I used an older one and I didn't get the error.

Have you tried the automated script v6.3 to see if you get the same error?

Stew

joblack
02-24-2010, 11:56 AM
I got that before also. But I was on 1.7.1 and had at the time several version of ineptepub to use. I used an older one and I didn't get the error.

Have you tried the automated script v6.3 to see if you get the same error?

Stew

As far as I can hear (thanks to anon2) ineptpdf 7.1 solves the problem. The automated scripts have the same logic and it's planed to adjust the version numbers so it's clear if they are updated or not.

Diana495
02-24-2010, 03:16 PM
Ineptpdf 7.1 worked perfectly. :)

Sydney's Mom
02-24-2010, 07:18 PM
I am having problems with ineptkey 4. I get an error - could not locate privateLicense key. Anyone know what this means? I am running Windows 7, ADE 1.7.2 and ineptpdf 7.
I just got this computer, so I couldn't install 1.7.1 first, which is what I did on my other computer, with no issues.

joblack
02-24-2010, 07:19 PM
You need ineptkey 4.1 and regenerate the key. ADE 1.7.2 isn't a problem anymore.

joblack
02-26-2010, 06:52 PM
Ineptpdf 7.2 released

- it offers xrefstream writing capability (compared to 7.1 it creates a smaller output file).

Thanks to anon2 for the good work :2thumbsup

mokkie
02-26-2010, 10:48 PM
hey guys seem to be having a problem decrypting. im using ineptkey 4.2 and ineptpdf 7.2 and digital editions 1.7.1. when i try to decrypt it says "error: error decoding ANS.1

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/3341/problemvw.jpg

pietvo
02-27-2010, 04:20 AM
Ineptkey 4.2 uses a different keyfile format. Switch to 4.3.

stewball
02-27-2010, 08:05 AM
The script ineptpdf v7.2 seems to have been deleted from pastebin. Changes being made?

- Unknown paste ID, it may have been expired or deleted!

Stew

pietvo
02-27-2010, 09:24 AM
I googled for ineptpdf72.pyw and indeed it gives an old link. But if you click on 'repeat the search with the omitted results included' you will find a newer one.

joblack
02-27-2010, 09:56 AM
Ineptkey 4.2 uses a different keyfile format. Switch to 4.3.

Yes I almost forgot about that version. Adeptkey4.der was only a 'quick and dirty' solution, now it works like a charm with the good old adeptkey.der. :2thumbsup

joblack
02-27-2010, 10:18 AM
*dp deleted*

djloewen
02-27-2010, 02:18 PM
I've removed the DRM from ePubs a number of times, and I'm now attempting a PDF for the first time. The resulting file using the latest (7.2) script won't open in Adobe Reader ("The root object is missing or invalid"). I've seen this issue mentioned before, but these scripts are changing so fast that I don't know where things stand at the moment. Any thoughts?

mutant
02-28-2010, 04:00 AM
Hello,
I have a pdf ebook with Adobe's DRM mechanism for Digital Editions. What apps do I need to remove the protection?

joblack
02-28-2010, 10:08 AM
Ineptpdf 7.3 released - thanks goes to the usual suspects (you know who you are) ^^ ...

PS: Mutant - browse through this thread and you will be enlightened :)

pietvo
02-28-2010, 10:37 AM
The google phrase I found to work best is: ainept pdf epub tools

aniceguy
02-28-2010, 02:06 PM
hi guys,

I'm new here. I want to get rid of the drm on my pdf ebooks. I didn't quite understand the technique you guys are using here. Could anyone explain?

Thanks in advance

joblack
02-28-2010, 02:34 PM
hi guys,

I'm new here. I want to get rid of the drm on my pdf ebooks. I didn't quite understand the technique you guys are using here. Could anyone explain?

Thanks in advance

It's explained in detail in this thread so you might get your favorite beverage and read through it. :xmas:

JSWolf
02-28-2010, 02:39 PM
Ineptpdf 7.3 released - thanks goes to the usual suspects (you know who you are) ^^ ...

PS: Mutant - browse through this thread and you will be enlightened :)

Thanks to those who made the new version.

HZpkDWUj

pietvo
02-28-2010, 04:07 PM
It's explained in detail in this thread so you might get your favorite beverage and read through it. :xmas:
The more people ask these kind of questions, the longer the thread will become and the more beverage you will need. :rolleyes:

mutant
03-01-2010, 09:40 AM
I am stuck and I really hope that someone would be kind enough to point me to a good tutorial or download links for most effective apps and srcripts for removing DRM protection.

pietvo
03-01-2010, 11:58 AM
First install Python and PyCrypto.
See http://dearauthor.com/wordpress/2010/02/21/how-to-install-python-and-pycrypto/

After that running the required scripts isn't difficult any more.

joblack
03-01-2010, 12:33 PM
I am stuck and I really hope that someone would be kind enough to point me to a good tutorial or download links for most effective apps and srcripts for removing DRM protection.

Have you read thoroughly through this thread (and checked out I love cabbages website)?

I don't think so. A little bit of self work for newbies is expected - you can't drive a car without some background information and it's the same with the scripts :chinscratch:.

So if you have specific questions like (python crypto gives the following error message, ...) it surely is okay to ask but not if you haven't read the information available. It's a little bit rude to ask other people to do all your work.

mutant
03-01-2010, 04:38 PM
@pietvo, Thanks for the link.

Have you read thoroughly through this thread (and checked out I love cabbages website)?

I don't think so. A little bit of self work for newbies is expected - you can't drive a car without some background information and it's the same with the scripts :chinscratch:.

So if you have specific questions like (python crypto gives the following error message, ...) it surely is okay to ask but not if you haven't read the information available. It's a little bit rude to ask other people to do all your work.

I did read a great deal, Joblack. In fact, I installed python and pycrypto and all the scripts. However, I ended up getting a message from the inept pdf decrypter saying "error: dict required". I am grateful for the help and advice provided by one member on this forum. I still have one question though. I came across the latest script ( namely, ineptpdf7.3) but it is in text form,
<<LINK MODERATED>>

How do I make it usable by python?

pietvo
03-01-2010, 05:00 PM
Python scripts are text files. If you save it as .pyw (on Mac OS X also .py is OK) then you can execute it by double clicking.

pdurrant
03-01-2010, 05:12 PM
I still have one question though. I came across the latest script ( namely, ineptpdf7.3) but it is in text form,

[snip download link - forum rules forbid the posting of links to de-drm tools because of problems of the legality of distribution of such tools in various jurisdictions.]

How do I make it usable by python?

Click on the download link on that page. Then rename the file to be "ineptpdf7.3.pyw"

Python scripts are all just text files.

mutant
03-01-2010, 05:25 PM
Thanks, pietvo and pdurrant for all your help. The file was finally successfully decrypted. I coudn't have done it without your help and the very special forum member :-).

Bilbo1967
03-01-2010, 06:17 PM
Click on the download link on that page. Then rename the file to be "ineptpdf7.3.pyw"

Python scripts are all just text files.

Is it just me, or does that not work. When I rename the file to xxxx.pyw it is still called xxxx.pyw.txt when I check its properties. I know I am doing something stupid, but what is it please?

joblack
03-01-2010, 06:27 PM
Is it just me, or does that not work. When I rename the file to xxxx.pyw it is still called xxxx.pyw.txt when I check its properties. I know I am doing something stupid, but what is it please?

You have disabled 'showing file extensions' in Windows (check Explorer Options) so it always attaches a .txt.

pietvo
03-01-2010, 06:40 PM
It's not you doing something stupid. It is the typical Windows stupidity.

joblack
03-01-2010, 07:04 PM

Well, Mac is not so much better.

It's hiding directories (those with the xml files) and if you try to pack them with a command line tool you get a lot of problems.

pilotbob
03-01-2010, 07:05 PM
Well, Mac is not so much better.

It's hiding directories (those with the xml files) and if you try to pack them with a command line tool you get a lot of problems.

Finder hides directories... but you can turn it off. If you use terminal you can see all of the files.

BOb

joblack
03-01-2010, 07:37 PM
Finder hides directories... but you can turn it off. If you use terminal you can see all of the files.

BOb

I tried to pack an Omnigraffle file. On the 'Explorer' (or whatever it's called in Mac OS X) it only showed one file. As I wasn't willing to pay 40 USD for a compression program i was playing around with a Unix tool (installed with fink) and that was the horror. And as I got the impression you have to pay extra for every Mac OS X program that wasn't included in the OS I quickly moved on.

I like a logical simple system but Mac OS X (and partly Windows 7) is simple on the surface but if you want to do something deeper you're lost in the obfuscation.

That's perhaps the main reason I'm working with Linux. There you've got transparency and you know if something got wrong it was probably your fault :smack:.

Anyway, enough offtopic discussion.

pilotbob
03-01-2010, 10:49 PM
:offtopic:

I tried to pack an Omnigraffle file. On the 'Explorer' (or whatever it's called in Mac OS X) it only showed one file.

It might be a package... many mac apps store stuff in packages.

As I wasn't willing to pay 40 USD for a compression program i was playing around with a Unix tool (installed with fink) and that was the horror. And as I got the impression you have to pay extra for every Mac OS X program that wasn't included in the OS I quickly moved on.

Zip is built into OS X... and there are plenty of freely available Mac apps. That said, most Mac apps, like Omnigraffel, blow away windows counterparts (like visio) and are much cheaper.

But, to each his own.

BOb

pietvo
03-02-2010, 03:15 AM
Sorry to have started a Windows-Mac miniwar. My point wasn't Windows vs Mac, but Windows vs user.

Bilbo1967
03-02-2010, 03:20 AM
You have disabled 'showing file extensions' in Windows (check Explorer Options) so it always attaches a .txt.

Thanks joblack - that's better!

Thanks for the kind words pietvo - although I really should have known that.

mutant
03-02-2010, 03:21 AM
Which format is easiet to crack:

ePub for Digital Editions
PDF for Digital Editions
Mobipocket Reader
Microsoft Reader

pdurrant
03-02-2010, 03:27 AM
I tried to pack an Omnigraffle file. On the 'Explorer' (or whatever it's called in Mac OS X) it only showed one file. As I wasn't willing to pay 40 USD for a compression program i was playing around with a Unix tool (installed with fink) and that was the horror.

Right-click (or control-click) on the file in Finder. Select "compress <filename>". You now have a zip file as well as the original. Or if you must drop to the command like, zip is built-in there too.

pdurrant
03-02-2010, 03:33 AM

PDF for Digital Editions
Mobipocket Reader
Microsoft Reader

They're all much the same. ePub usually has better source files (better formatting, bigger graphics), so if it wasn't for the fact that I mostly read on a Kindle, ADE ePub would be my format of choice. As it is, I usually buy the Mobipocket, as then I don't need to format convert, just strip the DRM.

For people on Windows/Internet Explorer, possibly Microsoft Reader is the easiest to strip. But downloading it is impossible if you're not using Windows/IE.

mutant
03-02-2010, 04:29 AM
They're all much the same. ePub usually has better source files (better formatting, bigger graphics), so if it wasn't for the fact that I mostly reader on a Kindle, ADE ePub would be my format of choice. As it is, I usually buy the Mobipocket, as then I don't need to format convert, just strip the DRM.

For people on Windows/Internet Explorer, possibly Microsoft Reader is the easiest to strip. But downloading it is impossible if you're not using Windows/IE.

Thanks Pdurrant for the clarification.

joblack
03-02-2010, 07:51 AM
Sorry to have started a Windows-Mac miniwar. My point wasn't Windows vs Mac, but Windows vs user.

I wasn't interpreting it that way just showing that Mac OS X has these odities as well.

joblack
03-02-2010, 07:53 AM
Right-click (or control-click) on the file in Finder. Select "compress <filename>". You now have a zip file as well as the original. Or if you must drop to the command like, zip is built-in there too.

It was before Snow Leopard and I hadn't found the compression option (I may have tried the right mouse button).

joblack
03-02-2010, 07:56 AM

PDF for Digital Editions
Mobipocket Reader
Microsoft Reader

This questions aren't formulated right. You don't crack the format you crack the drm attached to the format.

All of these are broken so far. Microsoft Reader isn't used as far as I can see.

wallcraft
03-02-2010, 08:39 AM

PDF for Digital Editions
Mobipocket Reader
Microsoft Reader The easiest are now the DRM schemes that have .pyw scripts to circumvent them. These include Adobe ePub and PDF (PDF is harder in that a few PDFs still fail) and Kindle for PC.

If you use Calibre, recent versions of the mobidedrm.py script can be used as a pre-processing plugin for MOBI. So once you get it working, Calibre handles DRMed MOBIs just like DRM-free MOBIs.

skinticket
03-02-2010, 08:12 PM
hey guys... i downloaded an ebook for my class and installed it on the wrong computer and didn't register the adobe digital edition... so i assumed it was stuck on that computer. i deleted the newer version of ade and got 7.1, deleted the registry stuff and delete the folder in my documents and tried making this work with ineptkey 4.3 and ineptpdf 7.3 but i keep getting the error "Error: problem decrypting session key". What am i doing wrong? D:

pietvo
03-03-2010, 03:31 AM
The error indicates that you are using the wrong Adobe ID. You can use the ebook only with the original Adobe ID on which you downloaded it. It doesn't matter whether you have ADE 1.7.1 or 1.7.2. Also it doesn't matter which computer as long as it has ADE registered to the same Adobe ID.

If you had ADE on the original computer not tied to an Adobe ID but anonymous, I think I have read on Adobe's website that you can authorize it on an Adobe ID and then your downloaded books will be converted to that ID. Otherwise you can try to re-download the book with the correct Adobe ID.

pdurrant
03-03-2010, 03:40 AM
hey guys... i downloaded an ebook for my class and installed it on the wrong computer and didn't register the adobe digital edition... so i assumed it was stuck on that computer. i deleted the newer version of ade and got 7.1, deleted the registry stuff and delete the folder in my documents and tried making this work with ineptkey 4.3 and ineptpdf 7.3 but i keep getting the error "Error: problem decrypting session key". What am i doing wrong? D:

What you did wrong first was not registering the copy of Adobe Digital Editions before downloading your book. That tied the DRM to that particular installation, rather than to your Adobe ID.

Your second mistake was to delete the installation of ADE on the computer, since that was the copy that contained the key to decrypt your book.

I don't know how ADE chooses a DRM key without an Adobe ID. If it involves a random number generator, then there's no-way you'll decode that book. If it depends on the computer hardware, it's possible that re-installing ADE on the original computer and not registering an ID would allow you to read the book again.

If you do manage to get into a state where you can read the book with ADE, the current 'inept' scripts should allow you to remove the DRM

If you can't get the book to display with any ADE installaton, you'll have to ask your supplier very nicely to allow you to download it again to a new installation of ADE (and don't forget to register it with tyour Adobe ID first!). Since this will cost them money*, ask them very, very nicely.

Best of luck.

*Adobe charges a small few for every encryption with the Adobe Adept DRM scheme. It's currently £0.11 + VAT for a non-expiring certificate. As far as I can tell, the only way to see this price is to actually click on the "buy now" button on the Adobe Content Server product page. http://www.adobe.com/products/contentserver/

joblack
03-04-2010, 06:01 PM
update to ineptpdf 7.4 and automated ineptpdf (aineptpdf) 7.4

Thanks to the usual suspects.

Spectrum
03-05-2010, 10:06 PM
update to ineptpdf 7.4 and automated () 7.4

Thanks to the usual suspects.

what is the difference between ineptpdf and aineptpdf?

TIA

joblack
03-06-2010, 08:21 AM
what is the difference between ineptpdf and aineptpdf?

TIA

The automated one decrypts whole directories.

HelixTW
03-07-2010, 02:10 PM
Ok, I just removed my registry and reactivated with the new version of ADE. Script works fine so far.

So they haven't changed the key saving scheme. Very strange - could be that some have more than one key in the registry (the key retrieval gets the first it finds).

People who have problems with this bookkey thing, inspect your registry for more than one entry like

privateLicenseKey

in the

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Adept]

(To open the registry -> Start -> Execute -> regedit (under XP don't know if that works for Vista)).

PS: I've got another suspicion: Have the ladies/gentlemen changed their hardware in the past and had to reactivate the ADE?

Thanks downgrading to the digitaleditions1_7_1079 version and deleting this key worked for me. No more ADEPTError('error decrypting book session key')

H
:rofl:

joblack
03-07-2010, 02:29 PM
Thanks downgrading to the digitaleditions1_7_1079 version and deleting this key worked for me. No more ADEPTError('error decrypting book session key')

H
:rofl:

With ineptkey 4.3 there is no need to downgrade anymore.

kiso
03-07-2010, 05:17 PM
i have ineptkey, version 4.3 and ineptpdf, version 7.4
first i run ineptkey and i get the file adeptkey.der
next i run ineptpdf, when I press the decrypt no file is created...
http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/2386/helpqq.jpg
anyone knows how to help me?

joblack
03-07-2010, 05:56 PM
i have ineptkey, version 4.3 and ineptpdf, version 7.4
first i run ineptkey and i get the file adeptkey.der
next i run ineptpdf, when I press the decrypt no file is created...
http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/2386/helpqq.jpg
anyone knows how to help me?

you seem to have used an old key with a new file or the other way around. Most probably the pdf file is encrypted with an older key. Redownload the pdf or reauthorize your ADE + the pdf with your adobe id.

kiso
03-07-2010, 06:26 PM
you seem to have used an old key with a new file or the other way around. Most probably the pdf file is encrypted with an older key. Redownload the pdf or reauthorize your ADE + the pdf with your adobe id.
redownload and reauthorize don't work :(
someone will check this pdf http://www.filefactory.com/file/b08876e/n/secured.pdf ?

pietvo
03-08-2010, 04:57 AM
It is not an ADEPT file. Looks more like encrypted with FileOpen.

kiso
03-08-2010, 05:05 AM
yep this is fileopen.
how can i remove this protection?

joblack
03-08-2010, 09:54 AM
yep this is fileopen.
how can i remove this protection?

There is no open script that which can do it. I've heard from somebody who had it but didn't want to publish it.

joblack
03-26-2010, 09:47 AM
- Ineptkey 4.4 released

Should make the script compatible with 64-bit python implementations ... as always thanks to the usual suspects :thumbsup:

Spectrum
04-03-2010, 10:39 AM
- Ineptkey 4.4 released

Should make the script compatible with 64-bit python implementations ... as always thanks to the usual suspects :thumbsup:

Thanks!

JSWolf
04-08-2010, 10:02 PM
- Ineptkey 4.4 released

No need to bother as not all the scripts for breaking DRM will work with the 64-bit Python. So the safest thing to do is stick with the 32-bit Python.

redhairgal
04-09-2010, 11:37 AM
Has any progress been made with the encryption tied to the hardware (this was prior to Adobe creating individual user accounts). I have a very old and valuable PDf that's tied to a very old hard drive that's clacking.....

:( and it's impossible to re-download. Amazon removed it from it's bookshelf and from the users who purchased it! (yeah your digital books will be there forever, NOT).
Thanks,
red

pdurrant
04-09-2010, 11:52 AM
I have a very old and valuable PDf that's tied to a very old hard drive that's clacking.....

Perhaps you should take screen shots of all the pages, just in case! then you could get it back through OCR, if nothing else.

I thought that a russian firm had cracked PDF encryption, and might even still be advertising their wares.

pilotbob
04-09-2010, 12:06 PM
Has any progress been made with the encryption tied to the hardware (this was prior to Adobe creating individual user accounts). I have a very old and valuable PDf that's tied to a very old hard drive that's clacking.....

My understanding is if you have these types of PDFs on a machine, and you install ADE on that machine and authorize it to your Adobe ID account... that it can convert the protection of these PDFs from machine specific to Adobe ID protected.

BOb

pdurrant
04-09-2010, 12:31 PM
My understanding is if you have these types of PDFs on a machine, and you install ADE on that machine and authorize it to your Adobe ID account... that it can convert the protection of these PDFs from machine specific to Adobe ID protected.

Unfortunately, not any more. The servers that allowed this to happen were turned off after December 15th, 2009.

See this thread:
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64457

pilotbob
04-09-2010, 12:44 PM
Unfortunately, not any more. The servers that allowed this to happen were turned off after December 15th, 2009.

See this thread:
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64457

Ah... bummer. I guess CUT-N-PASTE... :blink:

BOb

VICTORSJG
04-10-2010, 01:37 PM
where can i find the last versión of ineptpdf and ineptepub, because i have ineptkey 4.3 and ineptpdf 3 and i amn't able to undescripte the archive pdf?

Thanks

pietvo
04-10-2010, 04:01 PM
Google for ineptpdf 7.4 and ineptepub 4.1.
And the stream-recorder forum has some more specific links.

GrimmReaper
04-16-2010, 09:38 AM
Aah, I bet that's it. PDF files downloaded by Acrobat 6 and Acrobat 7 are slightly different than those downloaded directly by Digital Editions. The old "find 'Print First' in the PDF file and modify it, then open it in Acrobat 6" trick wouldn't work in Digital Editions-downloaded files, because there was no "Print First" line to find.

If there's no way to re-download the PDF with Digital Editions, it may require another version of the script to strip the DRM...

I have 4 PDF books that I CAN NOT re-download and they DO NOT work with ADE (any version). Torques me :angry:. I opened one in a hex editor and found characteristics at the end of the file and it includes "PRINT FIRST =". I also found in there that it is using RC4 for security. What do I need to do to the line(s) so that I can open it with Acro 8 or something so I can read these books I bought so long ago.

Also, to confirm, the snake scripts will not work on the file(s) which prompted me to snoop around inside them.

Thank you for any further help on this matter.

joblack
04-23-2010, 12:51 AM

If it's an Adobe Acrobat 5 DRM file you might search for 'Advanced EBook Processor 2.2" (google is your friend). For later versions you're out of luck (the script doesn't support Adobe Acrobat protection (or better to say: the key retrieval - the protection method is probably the same).

joblack
04-23-2010, 08:11 AM
double post ...

joblack
04-23-2010, 08:12 AM

You might copy the complete harddisk as an image to your new harddisk (for instance with the dd Linux command or DriveImage cloner). Also you might read out the harddisk serial number (use a Windows tool), keep your current hardware and decide later how to proceed.

By the way with Adobe 7 existed a method (a security glitch) to save a crypted pdf. You loose all metadata (like Toc Links etc.) but you might give it a try.

You can also use the open source tool Bookshooter. It automatically grabs a selected screenzone, makes a screenshot and press to the next page.

joblack
05-01-2010, 08:49 PM

:( and it's impossible to re-download. Amazon removed it from it's bookshelf and from the users who purchased it! (yeah your digital books will be there forever, NOT).
Thanks,
red

Here is a solution for your problem (if you already have activated and own Adobe 6 (not 5 or 7).

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Adobe/Gallery/amazon-remedy.txt

RWJ
05-12-2010, 12:03 PM
OK, forgive me if this is a dumb question, but - I've checked out an Adopt DE file (extension .acsm) and want to strip the DRM so I can read it on another platform (other than my laptop, on which I can open it no problem.) Do files with this extension fall into the category discusses here, or are they a totally different entity?

pdurrant
05-12-2010, 01:00 PM
OK, forgive me if this is a dumb question, but - I've checked out an Adopt DE file (extension .acsm) and want to strip the DRM so I can read it on another platform (other than my laptop, on which I can open it no problem.) Do files with this extension fall into the category discusses here, or are they a totally different entity?

.acsm files are not encrypted ebooks. They are files used by ADE to download the encrypted ebooks. You'll need to find where the encrypted ebooks that are downloaded by ADE are stored on your computer. On Macs it's in the Documents folder, inside a folder called "Digital Editions".

pietvo
05-13-2010, 08:24 AM
A .acsm file is a ticket for an ebook that you have bought. It is used for both PDF and ePub books. So if its is PDF then this thread applies. If it is ePub there is another thread that deals with it.

tetrachroma
06-12-2010, 03:19 AM
More information on my blog at http://tetrachroma.wordpress.com

Gremlin
06-13-2010, 02:36 AM
Hi All,

I ran into a strange problem using ineptpdf. I bought a book, downloaded it, got the key with ineptkey and than deciphered it using ineptpdf. Although, the book was deciphered successfully, the book cannot opened with Adobe Acrobat and Foxit Reader opens the deciphered e-book but displays only the even pages and the odd ones are simply blank.

I tried different versions of both ineptpdf and ineptkey to no avail. My best guess is that there is something wrong with the formatting. How do I solve this?