View Full Version : eScape - Free Open Office Writer to ePub Creator !

Munish
02-23-2009, 05:26 AM
Just popped in to say hello and share a good news to all the ePub enthusiasts!

We have just announced the release of eScape - a free Open Office Writer to ePub creator/converter. Designed to turn your Open Office Writer documents (ODT) into perfect ePubs, effortlessly and instantly.

Download (http://www.infogridpacific.com/igp/AZARDI/eScape%20-ODT2ePub/) eScape from our site.

Don't you think ePub creation is made easy ?

You can have your say Here (http://infogridpacific.typepad.com/publishing_with_xml/2009/02/escape-open-office-to-epub-convertor.html).

Have a great Week! :)

Cheers !

Valloric
02-23-2009, 02:21 PM
I was elated at first. Then I saw this:

Infogrid Pacific's eScape application and its components, templates and processors are Copyright 2009 Infogrid Pacific Pte. Ltd. All rights reserved.
By downloading and installing eScape you agree to the following terms and conditions:
eScape is licensed to individuals at no charge (free) for non-commerical use only if: 1) it is downloaded from this site and 2) the eScape acknowledgements page is left in the book. Non-commerical means that eScape cannot be used to create ePubs for money. You are explicitly forbidden to use eScape to provide ePub creation services. The ePubs you create can be freely shared, distributed and and given away anywhere and to anyone as long as you do not charge for them. This includes any and all service and/or distribution fees.

I don't need commercial creation support, but your #2 requirement is--to me--unacceptable. I'm don't want advertisements in books I create for myself.

Other than that, the more epub converters we have, the better.

Munish
02-24-2009, 05:18 AM
Valloric,

Thanks for the comment. We don't really regard it as an advertisement, rather an acknowledgment. However I guess that is a Point of View thing.

It's really small, tucked right at the back, doesn't appear in the TOC or anywhere. Bit like a "Printed by .... " statement from the bad old paper days I suppose.

Anyway, if anyone else agrees with this, we don't have a significant problem removing it from the tool and the license, and telling you how to remove it from your current installation - it's not DRM.

In the interest of full disclosure, the actual text, inserted into a last lonely page is:

This book was created using eScape. An Open Office Writer document to ePub Converter

Created by
Infogrid Pacific
For more information visit
http://www.infogridpacific.com

DDHarriman
02-24-2009, 11:00 AM
I second Valloric.

Best regards,

Valloric
02-25-2009, 06:47 AM
Anyway, if anyone else agrees with this, we don't have a significant problem removing it from the tool and the license, and telling you how to remove it from your current installation - it's not DRM.

If you toned it down to, say, "Created with eScape by Infogrid Pacific" and put that in the metadata and not in the text, that would be acceptable (to me at least). I'm suggesting this because there is a need to be able to programmatically recognize which epub file has been created by which tool.

Over
02-25-2009, 06:59 AM
Valloric,

Thanks for the comment. We don't really regard it as an advertisement, rather an acknowledgment. However I guess that is a Point of View thing.

It's really small, tucked right at the back, doesn't appear in the TOC or anywhere. Bit like a "Printed by .... " statement from the bad old paper days I suppose.

In the interest of full disclosure, the actual text, inserted into a last lonely page is:

This book was created using eScape. An Open Office Writer document to ePub Converter

Created by
Infogrid Pacific

I wouldn't say it's the same as the "printed by..." info in paperback books. First, that information doesn't have an exclusive full page in a book (it's usually in the same page with all the publication info). Second, I don't view eScape as a "printer". For me, it would be the same as Microsoft forcing the author to include in their books an info saying "Book created using Microsoft Word".

Anyway, that #2 requirement wouldn't bother me, if it weren't automatically imposed by the software. It would be the author's responsability to write it in his ebook, where he sees it fit.

Jellby
02-25-2009, 07:14 AM
In the books I create, I add a page after the cover and the title page, where I write something about where the source of the text and/or illustrations comes from and the main changes (if any) I did. That would be the place for such information in my books.

Moejoe
02-25-2009, 12:53 PM
Just popped in to say hello and share a good new to all the ePub enthusiasts!

We have just announced the release of eScape - a free Open Office Writer to ePub creator/converter. Designed to turn your Open Office Writer documents (ODT) into perfect ePubs, effortlessly and instantly.

Download (http://www.infogridpacific.com/igp/AZARDI/eScape%20-ODT2ePub/) eScape from our site.

Don't you think ePub creation is made easy ?

You can have your say Here (http://infogridpacific.typepad.com/publishing_with_xml/2009/02/escape-open-office-to-epub-convertor.html).

Have a great Week! :)

Cheers !

Great news :) The more creation tools around the more ePub will take off.

Best of luck with the future of the software.

Wrong Writer
02-25-2009, 04:49 PM
What bothers me is the "not for sale" part. If you plan on offering work for sale is there another version to use, or is this device only for amateurs?

gwynevans
02-25-2009, 04:58 PM
I don't need commercial creation support, but your #2 requirement is--to me--unacceptable. I'm don't want advertisements in books I create for myself.

It doesn't seem too bad too me - doesn't Book Designer do exactly the same thing when creating LRFs?

Valloric
02-25-2009, 05:54 PM
It doesn't seem too bad too me - doesn't Book Designer do exactly the same thing when creating LRFs?

Yes it does, and it's immensely irritating. But BD is a free program, and I can (just barely) live with an ad for a free program...

netseeker
02-26-2009, 04:09 PM
Good effort and the "acknowledgements page" doesn't bother me. But without support for images other than the cover it's limited to text-only-books at the moment.

mtravellerh
02-26-2009, 04:12 PM
Good effort for creating text-only books. I played around with it a bit and was quite underwhelmed, honestly. Way too simplistic and not enough options (and quite bossy).

Munish
02-27-2009, 12:54 AM
eScape Update

The license text on the website has been changed. We have removed the Acknowledgment page (AKA advertisement) condition as requested. The page is no longer displayed.

You can download it from here (http://www.infogridpacific.com/igp/AZARDI/eScape%20-ODT2ePub/)

There have also been a few minor changes/cleanups in the default stylesheets.

We have uploaded some titles made with eScape to our eBook resource page (http://www.infogridpacific.com/igp/AZARDI/ePub%20Books%20and%20Resources/) here and will add more over the next few weeks. We are focusing on the latest releases from Gutenberg.

Both the ODT and ePub are available so you can re-edit/re-style to your own taste in Open Office (Eg, remove our shameless plug page), and create your own versions of these books. These are designed to be tutorial in nature rather than books for general distribution.

Munish
02-27-2009, 01:09 AM
What bothers me is the "not for sale" part. If you plan on offering work for sale is there another version to use, or is this device only for amateurs?

eScape is a free product and there is no plan to make it commercial. It's designed for people interested in making free books for themselves and their friends, or even the greater public. If we get enough requests for a commercial version we may consider it. We don't really see this as a viable commercial product with out a lot more options. We did it purely because we could, and to address a challenge made on the Teleread blog. The development had the skills and components to bolt it together pretty quickly in their own time, mostly from our existing code components. The hardest part was learning the quirks of OO XHTML generation.

We have a professional Product IGP:FLIP (http://www.infogridpacific.com/igp/Products/Publishing%20Products/IGP:FLIP/) (Front List Interactive Publishing), that obviously costs money to use and supports commercial models. It does a lot more such as creates print PDF, ePub, Online books, plus packages for Mobipocket, MS Reader and Palm Reader. It supports images, maths (with difficulty), SVG, Indexing, auto hyperlinking, notes/footnotes, etc. We are not trying to push that here as the spirit of Mobileread is sharing and support. That was just to answer your query on is there a commercial version.

eScape uses the Structure-Styling approach and is designed to demonstrate how the XHTML needs to be consistent for maximum value. From that perspective it is bossy. Then all changes can be made on the CSS. This is a radically different approach to most of the talk we see on the forum where there is a constant struggle with the smallest HTML issues for various reasons, and ePub packaging is onerous. eScape eliminates that struggle in return for a little discipline applying styles, then you can get as creative as you like with styles. For more information on this approach there is an informative white paper on XHTML for publishing here (http://www.infogridpacific.com/readermedia/writer/XML_Strategies_for_Advanced_Content_Management.pdf ).

mtravellerh
02-27-2009, 04:03 AM
eScape uses the Structure-Styling approach and is designed to demonstrate how the XHTML needs to be consistent for maximum value. From that perspective it is bossy. Then all changes can be made on the CSS. This is a radically different approach to most of the talk we see on the forum where there is a constant struggle with the smallest HTML issues for various reasons, and ePub packaging is onerous. eScape eliminates that struggle in return for a little discipline applying styles, then you can get as creative as you like with styles. For more information on this approach there is an informative white paper on XHTML for publishing here (http://www.infogridpacific.com/readermedia/writer/XML_Strategies_for_Advanced_Content_Management.pdf ).

Bossy is not neessarily bad in my book. Sometimes you need someone to take your hand and guide you. :) I appreciate the work you invested in this software and like the results. Sorry if I sounded arrogant or negative, I didn't mean to be.

richardigp
02-27-2009, 05:28 AM
Good effort for creating text-only books. I played around with it a bit and was quite underwhelmed, honestly. Way too simplistic and not enough options (and quite bossy).

Saw your reply to Munish, but I would be interested in what you meant by bossy. By that do you mean the strict styles? Or is it something else.

Not enough options? Can you give us a list of what you think is missing (other than the ones that have been stated such as images, notes, and footnotes). Remembering the target is text books, not illustrated books.

What is simplistic, as opposed to simple (Which it is definitely trying to be)? There is some pretty sophisticated XHTML being generated under the skin.

astra
02-28-2009, 10:06 AM
I was elated at first. Then I saw this:

Book Designer has it as well.

Valloric
02-28-2009, 12:44 PM
Book Designer has it as well.

Please read the whole thread before posting. I responded to this already.

Yes it does, and it's immensely irritating. But BD is a free program, and I can (just barely) live with an ad for a free program...

astra
02-28-2009, 12:47 PM

Is not eScape free program?

Valloric
02-28-2009, 04:18 PM
Is not eScape free program?

No, it's free for non-commercial uses. That's not free.

Again, read the thread.

EDIT: Oh one more thing... this whole debate about the embedded advertisement is now completely moot since they removed it in the latest version.

netseeker
02-28-2009, 06:48 PM
The license text on the website has been changed. We have removed the Acknowledgment page (AKA advertisement) condition as requested. The page is no longer displayed.
Even if the acknowledgments page didn't bother me i want to thank you for removing it. :)

Not enough options? Can you give us a list of what you think is missing (other than the ones that have been stated such as images, notes, and footnotes). Remembering the target is text books, not illustrated books.
You are saying that the target is text books not illustrated books. Does that mean that you don't want add image support in the future? Illustration seems to be very important (at least for me) - especially because ePub is a so called "rich format" with a lot of possibilities.

JSWolf
02-28-2009, 07:02 PM
Any chance to make eScape work with Office 2003? I don't have Open Office nore do I plan on installing it. Thanks.

Does eScape allow font embedding?

Valloric
02-28-2009, 10:06 PM
Does eScape allow font embedding?

Short answer, no. The long answer is here (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=366031&postcount=61), since the discussion spilled over into the sticky "ePub creation tools" thread.

richardigp
03-02-2009, 03:36 AM
We will evaluate including images. There are complications with how OO handles images in XHTML, exports as Base64 and sizes them proportionally to a 96dpi version of the OO page. The result is the image is probably too small. We didn't want to hold the app back while wrestling with this problem.

So one solution is a bit ugly. We can use an image paragraph style, which then has the filename in it, and you have to have the image file in the input location. We then have to handle title/alt text for ePub validity as well.

Maybe we will do both. But the answer to the $100 question is, not sure when we will get around to it.

richardigp
03-02-2009, 03:43 AM
eScapt to Microsoft Word compatibility? I doubt it can be done easily using the same techniques since MS don't support XHTML anywhere in any product (including their browsers). Their exported HTML is a mess as others have testified, and even their new XML format is a screwball mess. However the fact is, in the same way you don't want to install OO, we don't want to blow money on MS Office. So I guess the answer is no, not from us.

gwynevans
03-02-2009, 04:11 AM
Any chance to make eScape work with Office 2003? I don't have Open Office nore do I plan on installing it.

Well, I can't really help with the latter, but the former's just a matter of downloading it from http://www.openoffice.org/. :-)

astra
03-02-2009, 11:09 AM
Well, I can't really help with the latter, but the former's just a matter of downloading it from http://www.openoffice.org/. :-)

Can you have both, 2003 Office and Open Office on the same computer?

Dave Berk
03-02-2009, 11:36 AM

I don't see why not. But if not, you can always use this: http://portableapps.com/apps/office/openoffice_portable

astra
03-02-2009, 11:43 AM
I have never used Open Office.

I scanned the page of portable version but cannot understand the difference between standard version and portable. Most likely I missed something obvious, silly me.

Dave Berk
03-02-2009, 11:50 AM
I have never used Open Office.

I scanned the page of portable version but cannot understand the difference between standard version and portable. Most likely I missed something obvious, silly me.

I don't know of any difference beside the obvious one :). You don't have to install it. Just decompress it into a folder of your choice and you're done.

astra
03-02-2009, 11:51 AM
I don't know of any difference beside the obvious one :). You don't have to install it. Just decompress it into a folder of your choice and you're done.

Oh, I see. I thought maybe you have to install it on USB stick or something.
Thanks!

yekim54
03-02-2009, 11:53 AM
... we don't want to blow money on MS Office.
You gained a lot of my respect with that remark. Once you've tried OpenOffice you'll never want to go back to the dark side (i.e., MS Office).

mtravellerh
03-02-2009, 12:51 PM
You gained a lot of my respect with that remark. Once you've tried OpenOffice you'll never want to go back to the dark side (i.e., MS Office).

Actually I sometimes do want to go back, but only because software like BD, for example, won't cooperate with OO. There is a lot of work left to be done on that level, if at all possible.

dordale
03-02-2009, 02:37 PM

Yes--Open Office and MS Office 2003 can co-exist on the same machine. I have both installed on my computer at home.

dordale :)

Valloric
03-02-2009, 03:56 PM
Once you've tried OpenOffice you'll never want to go back to the dark side (i.e., MS Office).

I rather like the dark side.

[Not beating on OO.o; I use it daily on my Linux machines, but I prefer Office 2007]

netseeker
03-02-2009, 05:10 PM
We will evaluate including images. There are complications with how OO handles images in XHTML, exports as Base64 and sizes them proportionally to a 96dpi version of the OO page. The result is the image is probably too small. We didn't want to hold the app back while wrestling with this problem...
I'm sure you will solve that problem in a satisfactory manner. Maybe you could ask the user for the file location of the original images when exporting to ePub?

[Not beating on OO.o; I use it daily on my Linux machines, but I prefer Office 2007]
I don't use MS Office at home - OpenOffice, especially Writer and Calc, is all i need personally. Well, at work it's different. The dark side is powerful there... ;)

smurphy
03-04-2009, 10:19 AM

Well - having more than 1 machine here - I ususally always remove any MS-Office-Like products from the systems (Except my Work machine, I nerd it there for outlook - but not for Office - running inside a VMWare for security ;)).

BTW - I am, at work, the only one capable of converting ad-hoc any old Office document using OpenOffice. MS itself does not support old closed formats of it's own ... Reason I use OpenOffice for the future is also the Open Document Format, which will IMHO also work years in the future.

frank1960
03-15-2009, 09:34 AM
Hi,

any chance to get it running with Open Office on Mac OS X?

Best regards

Frank

mortbrew
03-20-2009, 12:17 PM
I am loving eScape for creating my ePubs quickly. How do I change the default font size my Sony PRS-505 displays? Books I download from feedbooks.com have a nice default font and font size. I know I'll have to edit the css somewhere. I've been finding the eScape (classic css) font size to be too small by default. Any ideas on how to change this? Thanks everyone, this site has been very useful!

richardigp
03-21-2009, 04:23 AM
mortbrew,
I have added a CSS customization tutorial page to the eScape online tutorial (http://www.publisherdams.com/reader/content/c-0002184/?a=lc). Go to the last topic "Customizing the CSS Stylesheets".
The font size is set to 0.9em, and you can easily change it following the tutorial (I hope - I wrote it pretty fast). eScape lets you modify your stylesheets (within the predefined selector rules) anyway you like. I think that will solve your problem, but might just make a few more if you go wild with CSS! Have fun making custom CSS files and if there are any more issues or information you want just let us know.

richardigp
03-21-2009, 04:32 AM
frank
We are a very "non-Mac" operation and have no nearby Mac friends. It's programmed in Python, so there is no inherent reason why it wont run on a Mac with some interface changes. The issue is creating installables and sorting out the interface. I will ask the guys and see if we can get a Mac installation ready sometime soon as I think a lot of target users are Mac'aholics. May have to buy a powerbook one day soon!

mortbrew
03-21-2009, 01:48 PM
frank
We are a very "non-Mac" operation and have no nearby Mac friends. It's programmed in Python, so there is no inherent reason why it wont run on a Mac with some interface changes. The issue is creating installables and sorting out the interface. I will ask the guys and see if we can get a Mac installation ready sometime soon as I think a lot of target users are Mac'aholics. May have to buy a powerbook one day soon!

As a Mac user myself, that would be awesome! I don't mind having to fire up VMWare, but it would be nice not to have to! Where can i sign up to beta test? lol :cool:

mortbrew
03-21-2009, 01:49 PM
mortbrew,
I have added a CSS customization tutorial page to the eScape online tutorial (http://www.publisherdams.com/reader/content/c-0002184/?a=lc). Go to the last topic "Customizing the CSS Stylesheets".
The font size is set to 0.9em, and you can easily change it following the tutorial (I hope - I wrote it pretty fast). eScape lets you modify your stylesheets (within the predefined selector rules) anyway you like. I think that will solve your problem, but might just make a few more if you go wild with CSS! Have fun making custom CSS files and if there are any more issues or information you want just let us know.

Thanks for such a quick reply! I'll check the tutorial now. :)

pilotbob
03-21-2009, 02:22 PM
frank
We are a very "non-Mac" operation and have no nearby Mac friends.

You could grab a Mac mini for the Office to get your Mac version going and tested. But, then you will most certainly get everyone wanting to work on the Mac all the time!

BOb

mortbrew
03-22-2009, 04:34 PM
I am creating a book in eScape and chapter 7 in my book is 56 pages long in the eScape template. This seems to break the ability of my Sony 505 to read the end ePub result. Calibre ebook viewer opens the book just fine and the ebook passes epubcheck. Removing this one and only chapter renders the book readable on my 505. Also a new book containing this one and only chapter ruins the book again. Anyone from Infogrid eScape have any ideas? Otherwise eScape is performing very well!

igorsk
03-22-2009, 07:03 PM
The EPUB reader on the Reader has a 300KB limit on a single flow. Splitting the long chapter in two files should work.

mortbrew
03-23-2009, 09:56 AM
The EPUB reader on the Reader has a 300KB limit on a single flow. Splitting the long chapter in two files should work.

I'll give that a try, thanks! :bookworm:

mortbrew
03-26-2009, 01:14 PM
When I create an ePub with eScape, the cover is not centered on my Sony 505. Anyone know where in the CSS I can fix this? Or is this what the processor is doing regardless of the CSS? :chinscratch:

I created a macro in Open Office Writer called Auto Chapter. It automatically searches for the word "Chapter" and inserts the body-Chapter-igp style before it. It then selects the "Chapter XX" line and sets the style to title-num-igp. Next, it sets the subtitle to title-sub-igp. This macro only works when there are subtitles though. When there are no subtitles it fails miserably. It would be great if the Macro ignored the word chapter if it is part of a paragraph and skip the subtitle if it doesn't exist between the chapter and first paragraph. Anyone out there with more Open Office Macro experience? I think it would be very handy to have the macros embedded in the eScape template along with an embedded toolbar. Open Office Writer seems to have the facilities for both.

Thanks everyone! eScape is is the best solution I've found so far to create ePubs. I love it!

cerement
03-26-2009, 03:07 PM

Created by
Infogrid Pacific
I wouldn't say it's the same as the "printed by..." info in paperback books. First, that information doesn't have an exclusive full page in a book (it's usually in the same page with all the publication info).
Traditionally, this information did have it's own page, usually at the very end of a book (after the index), and was called the Colophon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colophon_(publishing)). The colophon included all sorts of interesting tidbits of information, what printing press, what font, what paper was used for the book. It was a good place for typesetters to provide details about the book itself rather than about the manuscript (copyright page).

richardigp
04-23-2009, 11:10 AM
The long awaited Linux version of eScape is now available as a debian package. You can download it here (http://www.infogridpacific.com/igp/AZARDI/eScape%20-ODT2ePub/). There are no new features in this version, just Linux-ization.

EowynCarter
04-29-2009, 08:20 AM
Can eScape do epub to odt conversion too ?

WOuld be nice to convert Epub to odt , fix Epub formating, turn back into Epub. Without having to worry about xml files.

Moejoe
04-30-2009, 09:18 PM
When I create an ePub with eScape, the cover is not centered on my Sony 505. Anyone know where in the CSS I can fix this? Or is this what the processor is doing regardless of the CSS? :chinscratch:

Here's what I've been doing, it's probably incorrect, but it works out okay for me as a quick and dirty method.

1. Create ePub with escape but do not specify any kind of cover

2. Import escape created epub into Calibre

3. Convert Individually with Calibre using the below settings:

Metadata: untick use cover source from file after uploading book cover

Look & Feel: Base Font size 0pt

Base Setup: default (PRS 505)

Chapter Detection: default (nothing ticked)

richardigp
05-03-2009, 07:45 AM
Can eScape do epub to odt conversion too ?

WOuld be nice to convert Epub to odt , fix Epub formating, turn back into Epub. Without having to worry about xml files.

In a word "no". Once it is exporting from Open Office is a one way journey. You can open XHTML in Open Office again, but it doesn't like the first line XML declaration, you will have to remove that and open as HTML.

The best choice is to use AZARDI. This lets you open the ePub for editing, make any changes you need to make and repackage the ePub. It designed for touch-ups and small changes really, but if you are advanced enough in CSS and XHTML you can use it to do anything. You can download AZARDI here (http://www.infogridpacific.com/igp/AZARDI/AZARDI%20-%20Downloads/)

click22
02-21-2010, 01:29 PM
I'm having trouble downloading and installing the eScape .ott with OpenOffice. When I click the link to download igp-eScape-book-template.ott it returns a web page full of symbols rather than a file I can use as a template. I guess the answer is simple if you know how. Help would be much appreciated.

kennyc
02-21-2010, 01:37 PM

:thumbsup:

And it will work directly with Word files/formats.

I just hope it doesn't get "disappeared" with the Oracle acquisition of Sun...

kiermel
02-23-2010, 08:15 AM
When eScape for Mac?

tjung
02-08-2011, 08:39 PM
I am not trying to knock your product but I read through your website and I have to say that I didn't see your product as any different from the two programs that I use for ebooks and EPUB. I did notice that it does seem to lack a few features that I am using now.

The two programs that I use are Calibre for converting and managing my books and it does support the Open Office ODT file format for converting. I also use Sigil to edit and create my EPUBs. I am curious how you see your products as different or better than these two software packages.

I would also mention both of them are Open Source GPL and both come in Linux, Mac and Windows flavors. Both have highly active communities and are updated regularly.

I am not knocking your product but I am curious about how you think they compare.

theducks
05-31-2011, 01:19 PM

I have Open office AND Excel (oo Calc is the alternate) on the same XP computer.
All you need to control is the 'Preferred Program' setting for each file type.

Vigorcat
05-31-2011, 08:37 PM
I have Open office AND Excel (oo Calc is the alternate) on the same XP computer.
All you need to control is the 'Preferred Program' setting for each file type.

Yes, I have same status as you said

rogerkttty
06-02-2011, 10:21 PM
Happy to get this post with a new open source to create ePub files. I will try it with my documents instantly. :rolleyes:

N13L5
06-11-2011, 08:08 AM
well this turned out to be a colorful thread :party4:

As for OO, doesn't that belong to evil Larry now? Doesn't the OO version of the free and just have a new name?

BTW, don't complain about eScape being bossy, InDesign CS5.5 will let you do anything you like, and then simply crash on epub export. No error handling for any number of failures there...

I have to keep separate versions of InDesign documents - those safe for epub and those with the formatting I wanted...

And since Adobe doesn't bother responding in their own support forums (unanswered posts about epub export crashes from 2010 there), I'm looking forward to the kind people from eScape teaching me a few more details about how far i might be able to go...

roger64
06-11-2011, 09:36 AM
Hi

Since the beginning of this loong thread, a new kid was born:

writer2xhtml is a small extension (500k) which produces a nice valid EPUB out of any properly structured OpenOffice.org or LibreOffice ODT file. Free, opensource, multi-platform.

Best results are obtained when you care about using styles with OO. You can have reflowable and floating images, tables, endnotes, ordered lists, style-mapping, whatever...

Current version is writer2xhtml.oxt 1.1.7.

http://writer2latex.sourceforge.net/
If you read French, there is also more info with my signature.

N13L5
06-17-2011, 03:37 AM
ohhh very cool, thanks a lot for that info :)

gonna download that...