View Full Version : Languages other than English

ThePage
02-21-2009, 08:41 PM
For EVERYONE'S convenience, to more easily distinguish between English and NOT, either a new column should be added to the left, with a letter or symbol for the language, or a language notation placed within the Author/Title column to the left of the Author's name (rather than the right, as currently seen (if at all), thus simplifying their location by those who use them, and allowing others to skip past them more quickly.

While perusing the .IMP category I noticed French, German and Portugese, but not surprisingly Spanish.

I also found The Yearling under History, I think Historical Fiction would be closer.

desertgrandma
02-21-2009, 09:02 PM
For EVERYONE'S convenience, to more easily distinguish between English and NOT, either a new column should be added to the left, with a letter or symbol for the language, or a language notation placed within the Author/Title column to the left of the Author's name (rather than the right, as currently seen (if at all), thus simplifying their location by those who use them, and allowing others to skip past them more quickly.

While perusing the .IMP category I noticed French, German and Portugese, but not surprisingly Spanish.

I also found The Yearling under History, I think Historical Fiction would be closer.

If I am reading your post correct, and I'm not sure I am, you can find lots of spanish ebooks here:

www.feedbooks.com
www.manybooks.net

ThePage
02-21-2009, 09:24 PM
I was just surprised to find no Spanish among the .IMP files vs. Portugese - which I hadn't expected to see.

desertgrandma
02-21-2009, 09:32 PM
I was just surprised to find no Spanish among the .IMP files vs. Portugese - which I hadn't expected to see.

Am I addressing your issue correctly? :) I'm assuming you are wanting to know why there aren't more books available in the language your are interested in.

All books are uploaded by members, so it would depend on the Spanish/Portugese speakers to upload books in their respective language.

ThePage
02-21-2009, 09:37 PM
I only read English (so far). From what you're saying, we apparently have no Spanish Speakers using the .IMP format.

desertgrandma
02-21-2009, 09:42 PM
I only read English (so far). From what you're saying, we apparently have no Spanish Speakers using the .IMP format.

I have no clue, I've never checked. Anyone is welcome and downright encouraged to upload books in which-ever language they can.

Following our guidelines, of course. :)

ThePage
02-21-2009, 09:46 PM
Well, if we do, they haven't got round to it yet.

Thank You.

HarryT
02-22-2009, 10:44 AM
As has been said, all books are uploaded by MR members; if you want Spanish books, the best thing to do is to create them yourself and then upload them for the benefit of others.

mtravellerh
02-22-2009, 10:47 AM
Actually, Jellby is speaking Spanish but likes to do art books more.

Jellby
02-22-2009, 11:09 AM
Actually, Jellby is speaking Spanish but likes to do art books more.

I've done more than that, but it has been taking much of my effort lately, that's true. I'm currently (proof)reading English, French and Italian books, after that I'll return to my list of pending works, which includes some Spanish texts. But I don't do IMP format, as ThePage said...

AuPhinger
02-22-2009, 01:24 PM
You might take a look here...

http://www.lectoreselectronicos.com/

Gene

GeoffC
02-26-2009, 01:26 PM

I don't believe the responses, thus far, have addressed this excellent point.

Surely it would be curteous to all for the books' (primary) language to be annotated somewhere in the table of entries?

netseeker
02-26-2009, 03:27 PM
I like the idea. Multi-language support in the ebook section isn't available at the moment - neither for the users nor for us uploaders.
I would appreciate such a language symbol and additionally some kind of "filter" which one could use to filter ebooks in a specific language. Maybe just a new combo-box in the "Show thread header section" as shown in the attached picture?

Eagleeye
03-01-2009, 01:20 PM

I second that idea, too. Imho, a symbol (flag?) suits best for this purpose.

Jellby
03-01-2009, 01:24 PM
If a language tag were added for each book, there must be the possibility of assigning more than one language to a single book. I've already uploaded a couple of multilingual books already.

ThR
03-03-2009, 04:06 AM
I like the idea. Multi-language support in the ebook section isn't available at the moment - neither for the users nor for us uploaders.
I would appreciate such a language symbol and additionally some kind of "filter" which one could use to filter ebooks in a specific language. Maybe just a new combo-box in the "Show thread header section" as shown in the attached picture?

A language selector in a search mask for uploaded books - a great idea! Please release it. :bulb2: Or something similar.. e.g. a sub-forum for "main"-Languages each...

Gaurnim
03-03-2009, 06:06 AM
I also agree that we need a way to filter languages in the uploaded books.

Drake
03-03-2009, 02:46 PM
And I don't see a problem of multi-language books.

An Icon for a language for a single-language book and
a "multi" icon for those with mor than one.
The interested reader has to read the content information either.

netseeker
03-08-2009, 02:53 PM
So what does the MR-Team think about Multilanguage-support? Any chance that we will get a language indicator and/or a language selector/filter?

zelda_pinwheel
03-08-2009, 02:55 PM
So what does the MR-Team think about Multilanguage-support? Any chance that we will get a language indicator and/or a language selector/filter?

we are currently discussing ways to restructure the ebook uploads forum to make the whole process better ; it's a big job with a lot to take into consideration, and alex has a very long to-do list, so it won't happen tomorrow but we *are* working on it and language support is definitely on the list. thanks for your feedback. :)

netseeker
03-08-2009, 02:57 PM
we are currently discussing ways to restructure the ebook uploads forum to make the whole process better ; it's a big job with a lot to take into consideration, and alex has a very long to-do list, so it won't happen tomorrow but we *are* working on it and language support is definitely on the list. thanks for your feedback. :)
This is good news. Thank you for the update. :)

zelda_pinwheel
03-08-2009, 02:59 PM
you are welcome. :)

while you're waiting, don't forget to use the TAGS for specifying language ; you can't filter by tag but you can do a tag search. i think most of the non-english books have been tagged (franšais, french, deutsch, german, etc.) and if you find a book that has NOT been tagged, please add the tag yourself ! (add the name of the language, in english and in the original language. if you have a doubt about the spelling, type just the first few letters, and the tag box will propose options of existing tags that match).

SteveK
03-14-2009, 12:56 AM
Would it be feasible to have a separate section for books posted in other languages, similar to the books posted in the Misc formats section? Although I'm sure it's not the case, lately it seems the number of German books being added is greater than the number of English books being added, resulting in a lot of scrolling to skip past the non-English titles.

This is not intended as a complaint; it's just something I've noticed lately. But I VERY much appreciate all the effort to post so many outstanding books, many of which I would have never heard of had it not been for MR. Keep up the great work!

Thanks to all.
SteveK