View Full Version : Adobe ADEPT DRM for EPUB circumvented

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

KevinH
05-18-2010, 10:21 AM
It's theoretically possible that an Adobe SDK reader (Digital Editions, txtr on iPhone) could phone home those tags, leading to the disabling of the Adobe account of anybody who used INEPT.

Likely, no; paranoid, yes. But still possible. :thumbsup:

Yes, but if you have not stolen the book from a library or someplace else, and have simply removed the DRM to read it on another reader or for storage purposes, having the uuid of the machine it was purchased for in each file can not hurt in any way.

If you are stealing books, that is simply wrong, and no one should help you do that.

KevinH

ATimson
05-18-2010, 10:23 AM
Yes, but if you have not stolen the book from a library or someplace else, and have simply removed the DRM to read it on another reader or for storage purposes, having the uuid of the machine it was purchased for in each file can not hurt in any way.
That's how it should be, but I don't believe that the law - at least in the United States - agrees at present.

pdurrant
05-18-2010, 10:42 AM
It's theoretically possible that an Adobe SDK reader (Digital Editions, txtr on iPhone) could phone home those tags, leading to the disabling of the Adobe account of anybody who used INEPT.

Likely, no; paranoid, yes. But still possible. :thumbsup:

Hmm... yes, I suppose that's theoretically possible.

In that case the simplest answer would be to strip those lines. But it seems an awful lot of work. I'll leave it until it happens to someone.

After all, give that I'd have already de-drmed all my adept-drmed books, getting an Adobe ID disabled wouldn't really be a problem.

NookyBook
05-18-2010, 01:39 PM
I have checked out the same book from multiple libraries, and the urn:uuid is the same for the title regardless of library. Different books have different uuid's. So it seems that it is a resource number for the book itself.

But, could the uuid string encrypting my PC's ID info with the title info in the urn:uuid?

Jellby
05-19-2010, 04:30 AM
Try to get the same book from different accounts, and check it. I doubt the uuid is different, but it could be.

alfytheige
05-24-2010, 03:36 AM
I installed everything but if I want to decrypt the files I get the following error:
problem decrypting session key.
Does anyone know how to solve this? Because I would like to get my ebooks on my ereader:)

I had the same problem and found this solution on another website that worked for me. I downgraded my ADE to 1.7.1 as per the instructions (see below), then ran the first script ineptkey.pyw to create the adeptkey.der file which I have saved in the same folder as my epub books (and backed up safely elsewhere) and it still works even though I upgraded Digital Editions to the latest version afterwards. KEEP THIS KEY FILE SAFE and DO NOT RUN THE ineptkey.pyw EVER AGAIN! It will replace your working key with a non-working version.

Then go ahead and run the ineptepub.pyw script on each book one at a time to decrypt. I can't tell you how GOOD it felt the first time I was successful with this, after months of messing around with it. I can now read my Sony store ebooks on my jetBook Lite instead of my laptop and it is GLORIOUS.

Hope this helps you as it did me; copy or print these instructions as this post may have to be taken down by the mods for violating something or other...

I am getting the above problem and have tried the fix suggested but it doesn't seem to have worked please can someone give me an idea what to try next? thanks

FlorenceArt
05-24-2010, 04:18 AM
I am getting the above problem and have tried the fix suggested but it doesn't seem to have worked please can someone give me an idea what to try next? thanks

The latest version of the ineptkey script works with the latest version of ADE. Have you tried that?

alfytheige
05-24-2010, 04:24 AM
The latest version of the ineptkey script works with the latest version of ADE. Have you tried that?

Hi Yes thanks I was just coming back to post I'd found a later version and its working now. thanks :D

Devorah
05-31-2010, 06:50 PM
I have installed the latest ineptkey and ineptpdf. The key generates a file called adeptkey. I have no error message here and assume that this is going correctly.

I am then running ineptpdf. adeptkey shows up itself in the top field. I get the unexpected EOF when running it though.

The book is The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. It came out just this week. I don't know if that makes a difference. I just purchased it from B and N.

Help is appreciated. Thank you,
Devorah

wallcraft
05-31-2010, 09:29 PM
I just purchased it from B and N. B&N does not use Adobe ADEPT DRM. Instead, B&N epubs are password protected (with the username and password based on your credit card). However, all is not lost, see Barnes & Noble DRM for EPUB circumvented (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66295).

Note that you may also get a .pdb file instead of a .epub. In that case the ebook is in eReader format, which is also circumventable and I suggest looking on Apprentice Alf's Blog for the latest info.

Devorah
05-31-2010, 09:56 PM
You are terrific. Thank you.

lester
06-04-2010, 05:43 PM
Hi, I'm hoping some can help. I have just bought an iPad and I wold like to remove the DRM from my epub books so that I can read them in iBooks. I have successfully installed Python (v2.6.5) and Pycrypto (v2.1.0) on my mac. I have also run ineptkeymac.py (v1.0) to generate the key (adeptkey.der), which I saved in a folder under Documents names "Python26" . The problem is when I run aineptepub.pyw (v4.1) all I get is an error message:
"Error in: {book title}.epub[Errno2] No such file or directory: '/Users/{root}/Documents/Digital Editions\\{book title}.epub"
where {book title} = file name
I have tried changing the book name (i.e. file name) as it contains ";" and moved the location of the book to a folder with no spaces in the name but still get the same error message. I would be most appreciative if some one could help me here. This particular book was purchased from eBooks.com

FlorenceArt
06-05-2010, 01:48 AM
Hi, I'm hoping some can help. I have just bought an iPad and I wold like to remove the DRM from my epub books so that I can read them in iBooks. I have successfully installed Python (v2.6.5) and Pycrypto (v2.1.0) on my mac. I have also run ineptkeymac.py (v1.0) to generate the key (adeptkey.der), which I saved in a folder under Documents names "Python26" . The problem is when I run aineptepub.pyw (v4.1) all I get is an error message:
"Error in: {book title}.epub[Errno2] No such file or directory: '/Users/{root}/Documents/Digital Editions\\{book title}.epub"
where {book title} = file name
I have tried changing the book name (i.e. file name) as it contains ";" and moved the location of the book to a folder with no spaces in the name but still get the same error message. I would be most appreciative if some one could help me here. This particular book was purchased from eBooks.com

Hi Lester, welcome to the forum!

To avoid trouble with file paths and names, here's what I do:

I created a folder in my user root folder (the one that has my user name). I called this folder Tools, of course the name doesn't matter but it's better if it's short ;)

I moved all the files I need in this folder: the python scripts, the adeptkey.der file, and I temorarily also move the ebook files that I want to decrypt to this same folder.

When I start the Terminal, it positions me in my root folder, so I only have to type the following to go to the Tools folder:

cd Tools

Then I type the command line. Since I am already in the folder where everything is, I don't need to type the file path, so it looks like this:

python ineptepub.py adeptkey.der booknamedrm.epub booknamenodrm.epub

Since I type everything manually, I often shorten the file name of the book too. I have copied the code line to a text file as a reminder, but in fact I almost never re-type it completely: in the Terminal, you can use the up arrow to recall the last few lines you typed and change them. It will even remember them from one session to the next, which is cool.

Hope this helps
Florence

lester
06-05-2010, 05:38 AM
Hi Lester, welcome to the forum!

To avoid trouble with file paths and names, here's what I do:

I created a folder in my user root folder (the one that has my user name). I called this folder Tools, of course the name doesn't matter but it's better if it's short ;)

I moved all the files I need in this folder: the python scripts, the adeptkey.der file, and I temorarily also move the ebook files that I want to decrypt to this same folder.

When I start the Terminal, it positions me in my root folder, so I only have to type the following to go to the Tools folder:

cd Tools

Then I type the command line. Since I am already in the folder where everything is, I don't need to type the file path, so it looks like this:

Since I type everything manually, I often shorten the file name of the book too. I have copied the code line to a text file as a reminder, but in fact I almost never re-type it completely: in the Terminal, you can use the up arrow to recall the last few lines you typed and change them. It will even remember them from one session to the next, which is cool.

Hope this helps
Florence

Thanks Florence,
I tried your suggestion and was excited when I saw that there was some kind of output but when I tried to open it (in any reader) it seems to be corrupted. The output from the Terminal was:

~$ python aineptepub.py adeptkey.der bookdrm.epub booknodrm.epub
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "aineptepub.py", line 372, in <module>
sys.exit(cli_main())
File "aineptepub.py", line 229, in cli_main
data = inf.read(path)
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/zipfile.py", line 834, in read
return self.open(name, "r", pwd).read()
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/zipfile.py", line 874, in open
zinfo.orig_filename, fname)
zipfile.BadZipfile: File name in directory "OEBPS/Lars_9780307593672_epub" and header "OEBPS/Lars_9780307593672_epub_epl_r1.htm" differ.

Any thoughts?

FlorenceArt
06-05-2010, 05:50 AM
Thanks Florence,
I tried your suggestion and was excited when I saw that there was some kind of output but when I tried to open it (in any reader) it seems to be corrupted. The output from the Terminal was:

~$ python aineptepub.py adeptkey.der bookdrm.epub booknodrm.epub
File "aineptepub.py", line 372, in <module>
sys.exit(cli_main())
File "aineptepub.py", line 229, in cli_main
data = inf.read(path)
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/zipfile.py", line 834, in read
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/zipfile.py", line 874, in open
zipfile.BadZipfile: File name in directory "OEBPS/Lars_9780307593672_epub" and header "OEBPS/Lars_9780307593672_epub_epl_r1.htm" differ.

Any thoughts?

Looks like there may be a problem with your epub file, but I have no idea what that can be. Can you open the original file with ADE?

lester
06-05-2010, 06:00 AM
Looks like there may be a problem with your epub file, but I have no idea what that can be. Can you open the original file with ADE?
Yes, it opens no problem in ADE and on my wife's Sony Reader

pietvo
06-05-2010, 09:07 AM
On a Mac there shouldn't be '\\' in the file name. There is some dubious code in aineptepub.py that can cause the '\\'to appear. Try to use ineptepub (i.e. without the initial 'a') instead.

dmapr
06-06-2010, 10:17 AM
On a Mac there shouldn't be '\\' in the file name. There is some dubious code in aineptepub.py that can cause the '\\'to appear. Try to use ineptepub (i.e. without the initial 'a') instead.

That's right, the aineptepub is designed to batch-convert directories, not individual files, so the command line arguments should be pointing to input and output directories. ineptepub is the one that takes input and output files as parameters.

joblack
06-06-2010, 10:31 PM
That's right, the aineptepub is designed to batch-convert directories, not individual files, so the command line arguments should be pointing to input and output directories. ineptepub is the one that takes input and output files as parameters.

The '\\' should only appear if you're in Windows.

krischik
06-07-2010, 01:07 AM
On a Mac there shouldn't be '\\' in the file name.

Shout not be there in any Unix. Unix places almost no restriction on file-names. Famous thing to do to drive people crazy is placing a carriage return or line feed into filament.

And guess what? On Mac OS the Icon files which contain customized icons for folders have a carriage return at the end of there name.

I wonder it that is a typo or someone did this stupidity intentionally.

Martin

joblack
06-07-2010, 08:50 AM
Shout not be there in any Unix. Unix places almost no restriction on file-names. Famous thing to do to drive people crazy is placing a carriage return or line feed into filament.

And guess what? On Mac OS the Icon files which contain customized icons for folders have a carriage return at the end of there name.

I wonder it that is a typo or someone did this stupidity intentionally.

Martin

The ainept scripts have some minor weaknesses. The .epub recognition works with regular expressions but it also tries to read directories if they have the .epub extension. The path might be wrong in certain cases.

There is undoubtedly a solution but I just haven't got the nerves to play with state machines and regular expressions right now.

Obviously the pressure wasn't big enough to push somebody else into studying it. ;).

joblack
06-07-2010, 08:55 AM

You might simulate an ainept script with a little shell magic

for i in $(ls *epub); do python ineptepub.py adeptkey.der $i ${i}encryped.epub; done

lester
06-07-2010, 09:48 AM

I tried your advice regarding ineptepub but it came back with the same error message. Is there a possibility there is something wrong with the compression?

pietvo
06-07-2010, 10:17 AM
Hello Lester. That is very strange. Which version of ineptepub do you use? How are you calling ineptepub, from the command line or by double-clicking? If command line, what are the exact parameters you give? If using GUI, do you browse to the file, or enter the filename manually? If the latter, what exactly do you type? Which line number does the error message give, or preferably what is the traceback that it prints?

lester
06-07-2010, 11:14 AM
Hello Lester. That is very strange. Which version of ineptepub do you use? How are you calling ineptepub, from the command line or by double-clicking? If command line, what are the exact parameters you give? If using GUI, do you browse to the file, or enter the filename manually? If the latter, what exactly do you type? Which line number does the error message give, or preferably what is the traceback that it prints?

Hi Pietvo, I am using ineptepub v3. I have tried calling from the command line and double clicking - both with the same results. In the GUI I browse to the file. The error message I receive is:

"Traceback (most recent call last):
File "ineptepub_v3.pyw", line 362, in <module>
sys.exit(cli_main())
File "ineptepub_v3.pyw", line 223, in cli_main
data = inf.read(path)

I really appreciate your help in this.

FlorenceArt
06-07-2010, 12:03 PM
Hi Pietvo, I am using ineptepub v3. I have tried calling from the command line and double clicking - both with the same results. In the GUI I browse to the file. The error message I receive is:

sys.exit(cli_main())
data = inf.read(path)

Have you seen this thread about epub decryption on the Mac (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54311)? Somewhere in the millions of posts I think there is a discussion about epubs that need to be unzipped, then rezipped, to be useable on Mac. No idea if this can be useful to you but who knows.

joblack
06-07-2010, 04:02 PM

sys.exit(cli_main())
data = inf.read(path)

As long as there aren't any epub experts answering I suggest you check out the official epub reference and compare it with the epub.

Perhaps the ADE is limiting the filenames so they aren't recognizing a wrong file name or it has some error correcting code.

At the first glimpse it seems that the filenames in the file

Lars_9780307593672_epub_epl_r1.htm

aren't the same as in

OEBPS/Lars_9780307593672_epub

How about open the epub with WinRAR or Winzip, print both out and compare the file names (make a backup before).

aliettedb
06-08-2010, 04:30 PM
Does this problem seem familiar to anyone?
I'm trying to decrypt an ADE file (bought from Waterstone's) using ineptkey and ineptepub. I got the key fine with the 4.3 version of ineptkey, but I get an error that says

File name in directory "OPT/xxiii_the_evidence_of_thtml+xml" and header "OPT/xiii_the_evidence_of_the_thea.html" differ.

Thinking this might be due to a wonky ZIP compression, I took the epub apart using 7zip and then put it back together again. When I do this, the decrypting goes fine--except that I can't read the epub file because chapter XXIII (the same that it warned me about in the first place) is missing. Upon inspection of the contents of the epub, it does have every single chapter in HTML format under OPT, except for chapter 23, which is in a folder named "xxiii_the_evidence_of_thtml+xml", which in turns contains something named "__" (which clearly isn't html because when I rename it and attempt to open it in Firefox, I get wonky characters).

I'm guessing chapter 23 must be encrypted in some way, but I have no idea where to start...

I'm running Windows XP SP3, with ADE 1.7.2.

Thanks in advance!

joblack
06-08-2010, 08:05 PM
Does this problem seem familiar to anyone?
I'm trying to decrypt an ADE file (bought from Waterstone's) using ineptkey and ineptepub. I got the key fine with the 4.3 version of ineptkey, but I get an error that says

Thinking this might be due to a wonky ZIP compression, I took the epub apart using 7zip and then put it back together again. When I do this, the decrypting goes fine--except that I can't read the epub file because chapter XXIII (the same that it warned me about in the first place) is missing. Upon inspection of the contents of the epub, it does have every single chapter in HTML format under OPT, except for chapter 23, which is in a folder named "xxiii_the_evidence_of_thtml+xml", which in turns contains something named "__" (which clearly isn't html because when I rename it and attempt to open it in Firefox, I get wonky characters).

I'm guessing chapter 23 must be encrypted in some way, but I have no idea where to start...

I'm running Windows XP SP3, with ADE 1.7.2.

Thanks in advance!

The script didn't encrypt it because the filenames from the index and the chapter differ.

wallcraft
06-08-2010, 09:17 PM
it does have every single chapter in HTML format under OPT, except for chapter 23, which is in a folder named "xxiii_the_evidence_of_thtml+xml", which in turns contains something named "__" Unzip the original encrypted ePub, and rename OPT\xxiii_the_evidence_of_thtml+xml\__ to OPT\xiii_the_evidence_of_the_thea.html

Then zip it again and see if it can be decrypted. I may not have the details right, what you want is the "__" file (which is presumably the encrypted chapter) to have the same filename and location as listed in the .opt file. Note that "/" separates folders and is equivalent to "\" under Windows.

aliettedb
06-09-2010, 01:51 AM
Oh, thank you so much!
Moved the file, renamed it, and the decryption worked a treat.
You guys are awesome.

Sydney's Mom
06-09-2010, 12:21 PM
Oh, thank you so much!
Moved the file, renamed it, and the decryption worked a treat.
You guys are awesome.

Here, here.

JSWolf
06-12-2010, 02:53 PM
You are terrific. Thank you.

If you download the eBook via the B&N Desktop Reader, the eBook comes in as an ePub eBook. If you download the eBook via the website, the eBook comes in as eReader.

JSWolf
06-12-2010, 02:58 PM
I've seen the issue of a defective ePub where there were invalid entries in the zip/ePub. The only solution is to unzip the ePub and fix the problems like was done in the post above.

FizzyWater
06-13-2010, 02:57 AM
If you download the eBook via the B&N Desktop Reader, the eBook comes in as an ePub eBook. If you download the eBook via the website, the eBook comes in as eReader.

Have you tried lately? I've gotten ePubs the last couple I downloaded - from the web.

PantaRhei
06-13-2010, 08:45 PM
Hello,

i'm using a mac with 10.6.3 and ADE 1.7.2, pycrypto-2.1.0, python-2.6.5
i generate my adeptkey with ineptkeymac.py, version 1
but when i use ineptepub.pyw, version 2 i get this error message

File name in directory "OEBPS/gior_9783641027827_oeb_c35_r1.th7" and header "OEBPS/gior_978361027827_oeb_c35_r1.html" differ

and when i use ineptepub.pyw, version 4 i get his
list assignment index out of range

and when i use aineptepub.pyw i get this
[Errno 2] No such file or direcotry 'aaa\\test.epub

what i can do?

pietvo
06-13-2010, 09:56 PM
You have to unzip and rezip the ePub file. See this post (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?p=644452#post644452)

Roy Hinkley
06-14-2010, 08:07 PM
When i run the scripts, the first one creates the adaptkey.der file. The second script, however, generates the message: "Error: problem decrypting session key".

I've tried Pyton 2.6 and installed the library but no luck. Any thoughts?

FlorenceArt
06-15-2010, 03:07 AM
When i run the scripts, the first one creates the adaptkey.der file. The second script, however, generates the message: "Error: problem decrypting session key".

I've tried Pyton 2.6 and installed the library but no luck. Any thoughts?

Have you checked that you have the latest version of the key script, and the latest version of ADE?

lester
06-15-2010, 06:23 AM
Have you seen this thread about epub decryption on the Mac (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54311)? Somewhere in the millions of posts I think there is a discussion about epubs that need to be unzipped, then rezipped, to be useable on Mac. No idea if this can be useful to you but who knows.

Thanks everyone for all your help. I have managed to successfully remove the DRM. The process I went through is as follows:

1. Changed the extension from epub to zip
2. Uncompressed the zip file by clicking on it
3. Recompressed back to epub using ePub Zip 1.0.2 (see this thread http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54311)
4. Used ineptkeymac_v1.py to generate adeptkey.der
5. Opened Terminal and navigated to the folder in which I saved all the files related to removing DRM (including the book)
6. Ran the following script "python ineptepub_v2.py adeptkey.der bookdrm.epub booknodrm.epub"
7. Bob's your uncle!!!

Once again a huge thank you.

lester
06-15-2010, 06:26 AM
Hello,

i'm using a mac with 10.6.3 and ADE 1.7.2, pycrypto-2.1.0, python-2.6.5
i generate my adeptkey with ineptkeymac.py, version 1
but when i use ineptepub.pyw, version 2 i get this error message

and when i use ineptepub.pyw, version 4 i get his

and when i use aineptepub.pyw i get this

what i can do?

PantaRhei,

I had the exact same problem. I posted my solution just above this one (790)

Good luck

joblack
06-18-2010, 06:17 AM
Most of the problems arose from old scripts. Before writing a bug report you should have the newest script versions.

That means:
- Inept Key Retrieval V4.4 [ineptkey]
- Inept ePub Decrypter V4.1 [ineptepub]

Try go retrieve the newest adeptkey.der (save the old one for backup purposes). Don't mix old with new scripts.

Jayhawk94
06-20-2010, 12:08 PM
Windows 7 64bit
Python 2.6 32-bit
pycrypto 2.1.0
ineptkey 4.4

When I run ineptkey, I get the following error message:

"pythonw.exe - Application Error"
"The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application."

I'm ignorant of everything Python and I've been unable to track this error message down in Google as I usually do, so I'm stumped. I haven't found something even close to this error message in this forum either. I'm assuming this is a Windows issue?

I also get the same error message when trying to run both ineptepub or ineptpdf

FlorenceArt
06-20-2010, 12:51 PM
It looks like there is a problem with Python. Have you tried installing it again?

JSWolf
06-20-2010, 12:54 PM
Windows 7 64bit
Python 2.6
pycrypto 2.1.0
ineptkey 4.4

"The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application."

I'm ignorant of everything Python and I've been unable to track this error message down in Google as I usually do, so I'm stumped. I haven't found something even close to this error message in this forum either. I'm assuming this is a Windows issue?

If you are using the 64-bit Python, uninstall it and install the 32-bit version. Seems there are issues using the 64-bit version.

Jayhawk94
06-20-2010, 01:58 PM
It looks like there is a problem with Python. Have you tried installing it again?

Yes; I haven't tried uninstalling first though, just a "repair" installation.

Jayhawk94
06-20-2010, 02:00 PM
If you are using the 64-bit Python, uninstall it and install the 32-bit version. Seems there are issues using the 64-bit version.

My initial installation was 32-bit. I had the problem I described, so installed the inept suite 1.0 - same problem. I assume the suite contains the 32-bit version?

It sure feels like there's probably an easy fix, albeit difficult to find.

joblack
06-20-2010, 03:04 PM
Windows 7 64bit
Python 2.6 32-bit
pycrypto 2.1.0
ineptkey 4.4

The problem is the 'Data Execution Prevention (DEP)' mechanism. Disable it for python*.exe or disable it globally (excluding windows services).

http://windows7themes.net/disable-windows-data-execution-prevention-in-windows-7-vista.html

dwest
06-21-2010, 07:07 PM
Ok, first let me apolgize for being a dumbass.

I got a Kindle for Fathers day. Seems good so far. Problem is I have several B&N gift cards that now I don't need. So, straight to the web to find out if I can convert. Several hours of reading and downloading later, and I am still a dumbass.

So

Downloaded Adobe Digital Editions
Downloaded Python 2.6
Downloaded Pycripto
Double clicked on ineptkey.pyw and recieved an adeptkey

Then it says to run ineptepub.pyw When I do (doubleclick) I just get the script page opening. Nothing else.

I know I am not doing this right, but for whatever reason I am not able to get past this to even get to the error messages that some of you are getting.

Any help would be really appreciated.

pietvo
06-21-2010, 08:46 PM
I guess you used the B&N gift cards to buy ebooks from B&N, right? However, ineptepub.pyw is not for B&N ebooks, unfortunately. And B&N ebooks are not necessarily ePub books. But if they are, there is a ignobleepub.pyw that you can use, together with ignoblekey.pyw or ignoblekeygen.pyw.

dwest
06-21-2010, 09:30 PM
Ok, I downloaded those.

I have them in a folder along with the .epub file I want to work on.

I double click on ignoblekey and nothing happens.

Again, sorry for being a dumbass on this stuff.

wallcraft
06-21-2010, 09:43 PM
I double click on ignoblekey and nothing happens. Its icon should be the yellow and blue python icon. If not, then probably it is still a .txt file. This usually means that Windows is hiding "known extensions", which makes changing the extension from .txt to .pyw difficult. In the folder, click on Tools -> Folder Options -> View -> UNCHECK Hide extensions for known filetypes. I suggest applying this to all folders, but for this purpose you just need to see filetypes in this folder. Then double click on the script and select rename. You should now see ".txt" which needs to be .pyw.

damiensmunki
06-21-2010, 10:21 PM
Hi, guys -

I'm trying to do this on a Mac. I've managed to find a Mac-specific version of the ineptkey script, and it generated the adeptkey.der file, which is in the same folder as the scripts I've downloaded. Now when I run the ineptpub script, I get the following syntax error:

SyntaxError: unexpected character after line continuation character

Do you have any suggestions as to how I can get this script to work? Thanks very much!

Rob

dwest
06-21-2010, 11:04 PM
Its icon should be the yellow and blue python icon. If not, then probably it is still a .txt file. This usually means that Windows is hiding "known extensions", which makes changing the extension from .txt to .pyw difficult. In the folder, click on Tools -> Folder Options -> View -> UNCHECK Hide extensions for known filetypes. I suggest applying this to all folders, but for this purpose you just need to see filetypes in this folder. Then double click on the script and select rename. You should now see ".txt" which needs to be .pyw.

Ok, files are yellow and blue and say python file (no console)

I double click, and I don't get anything.

wallcraft
06-22-2010, 01:35 AM
Ok, files are yellow and blue and say python file (no console)

I double click, and I don't get anything. Looks like Python is ok, but make sure it is version 2.6. Have you installed PyCrypto? This is also needed.

dwest
06-22-2010, 07:25 AM
Yes, Pycrypto installed.

Don't get anything when doubleclicking.

I am sure I am just missing something simple.

pietvo
06-22-2010, 11:34 AM
Hi, guys -

I'm trying to do this on a Mac. I've managed to find a Mac-specific version of the ineptkey script, and it generated the adeptkey.der file, which is in the same folder as the scripts I've downloaded. Now when I run the ineptpub script, I get the following syntax error:

SyntaxError: unexpected character after line continuation character

Do you have any suggestions as to how I can get this script to work? Thanks very much!

Rob
ineptpub should be ineptepub. I assume that is a typo.
If you get a syntax error probably the script hasn't been saved properly. Does it give you a line number? It could be for example that the line endings are not good (CR LF instead of only LF).

DarthV
06-22-2010, 01:02 PM
Anything special that needs to be done to strip chapters.ca kobo ebooks? Pretty simple to do B&N epubs, but it seems that some books I'd like to buy are cheaper @ Chapters.

ATimson
06-22-2010, 01:14 PM
Anything special that needs to be done to strip chapters.ca kobo ebooks? Pretty simple to do B&N epubs, but it seems that some books I'd like to buy are cheaper @ Chapters.
I haven't tried the chapters.ca books, but normal Kobo books follow the standard ADE method.

Jayhawk94
06-24-2010, 10:59 PM
The problem is the 'Data Execution Prevention (DEP)' mechanism. Disable it for python*.exe or disable it globally (excluding windows services).

http://windows7themes.net/disable-windows-data-execution-prevention-in-windows-7-vista.html

No joy. I installed the inept suite on my laptop though with immediate success. It has a much more spare Win7 install with very few background apps.

jck
07-03-2010, 09:34 AM
Everyone so kindly helped Sydney's Mom with step by step simple instructions. I've been trying to follow them but get bogged down. Has anyone compiled these tips into a simple list of instructions (similar to "go to start, chose run, type....") for newbies to follow? I so want to do this that I've already bought a epub book. I have Windows XP so no Vista problems on this computer. Help?

pietvo
07-04-2010, 05:27 PM
First you have to install Python and Pycrypto. See http://dearauthor.com/wordpress/2010/02/21/how-to-install-python-and-pycrypto/ how to do that. Then you have to hunt for the scripts. The moderators don't allow us to give links to these on this forum. Therefore you have to find them yourself. Googling for ainept epub pdf may help. Then download these scripts and make sure you save them under the proper name. They should end in .pyw, and if your computer stubbornly appends .txt to that name be sure to change the name until the extension is .pyw (make sure that Explorer doesn't hide the .txt). If that is correct the icon for the files should be yellow/blue snake-like. Double click on ineptkey.pyw and if all is correct it should tell you that it got your key.
After that, come back here.

Pol
07-06-2010, 11:26 PM
Ugh, frustrated. I've done this decryption in the past and had great success. All with books legally purchased, the same as I am trying right now. I'm on a Mac, 10.6.4, and when I run the inept epub script I'm getting "Error: File name in directory "OEBPS/robe_9781101188."

I'm trolling through the thread now to see if others have encountered it, but thought I'd ask too.

Thank you.

Pol
07-06-2010, 11:34 PM
Never mind. I had to do the Mac zip/unzip mentioned on a prior page. Thank you all for your great input into this forum.

joblack
07-09-2010, 05:25 PM
Never mind. I had to do the Mac zip/unzip mentioned on a prior page. Thank you all for your great input into this forum.

I love cabbages has released a new ineptkey and ineptepub. That might be especially interesting for Mac users.

FlorenceArt
07-10-2010, 03:33 AM
I love cabbages has released a new ineptkey and ineptepub. That might be especially interesting for Mac users.

Thanks for the info! I have everything working as needed for the moment, but I'll keep this in mind.

PeteS
07-24-2010, 11:46 AM
I have read through all 55 pages of this thread and can't find any mention of the fault I'm getting - everything goes as described and reports that the book has been decrypted - but the output type is just file instead of epub decrypted.

I am running Windows 7
ADE 7.2 - authorised and working
Python 2.6.5
Crypto 2.0.1
Ineptepub.pyw

Obviously missing something but what?

I followed the instructions from this site [no direct links allowed - Moderator]

Hope someone can help.

Cheers

KevinH
07-24-2010, 04:07 PM
Those particular instructions are for decrypting all books in a specific directory using a specific automated script. Not on a book by book basis.

I would simply grab the latest scripts (google IHeartCabbages and inept) and run them. The first will generate your key and the second will ask you for that key file, the file you want to work on, and a name for the converted file.

joblack
07-24-2010, 11:43 PM
The scripts with an 'a' on the left (aineptpdf, aineptepub) are the automated versions. For a single file you should use the non automated version.

PeteS
07-25-2010, 11:04 AM
Kevin - thanks for the quick reply - I downloaded ineptepub as you suggested but it was the same version v 5.2 that I was using, I didn't download ineptkey as this had already retrieved the adeptkey.der. Is the key different for different applications?

Cheers

PeteS

PeteS
07-25-2010, 11:11 AM
Joblack,

Thanks for the useful tip but I am not using the ones with 'a' on the left and using the ineptkey and ineptepub versions. Any other suggestions I could check would be welcome. When I call up the properties of the finished document - under the heading "Type of file" it just says file ?

KevinH
07-25-2010, 12:15 PM
Hi,

But the instructions you quoted are only for the a* versions. For normal scripts, you need to actually select the file to convert (not a directory) and you must provide a name for the output. I would make sure the output name includes the .epub extension to be safe.

Have you tried renaming the file you get to have a .epub extension?

Are you properly selecting the file to use for input and properly selecting a output file name?

PeteS
07-25-2010, 01:26 PM
Kevin,

Thanks - you cracked it !!

I was correctly selecting the file to convert but on the output I was just putting a name with no extension - adding the .epub extension solved the problem. I don't remember seeing that mentioned before but I must admit when trying something new like this I tend to rush ahead. As a former Service Engineer I was always telling new recruits - if all else fails RTFM (read the frigging manual). Much karma

Thanks again

PeteS

Bremen Cole
07-26-2010, 07:27 AM
I posted a quick how to on stripping ADE DRM on another forum. I did not post it here on MR because I think it is against their forum policy....

http://www.ipadforums.net/ibooks/5642-question-bremen-kobo-books-vs-ibooks.html - Read post number 6

As I state in the guide, please DO NOT PM me with questions. The guide is complete, just do the due diligence......

styxx374
07-28-2010, 06:32 PM
I need help also. I am running Windows XP, ADE 7.2 (authorized), Python 2.7, Crypto 2.0.1, ineptpdf8.4.22pyw, and ineptkeyv43.pyw. When I decrypt the file I can open it with anything that opens pdfs on my computer. When I try to open it on my JBL it freezes the whole thing and I have to reset it. The pdf is huge - over 12MB. Could that have something to do with it?

dmapr
07-28-2010, 06:43 PM
I need help also. I am running Windows XP, ADE 7.2 (authorized), Python 2.7, Crypto 2.0.1, ineptpdf8.4.22pyw, and ineptkeyv43.pyw. When I decrypt the file I can open it with anything that opens pdfs on my computer. When I try to open it on my JBL it freezes the whole thing and I have to reset it. The pdf is huge - over 12MB. Could that have something to do with it?

Possibly. If you can open the PDF file with Acrobat Reader, then it's no longer DRM-ed.

Mimzy
07-28-2010, 07:02 PM
Okay, consider me hopeless. Using i heart cabbages for reference, I downloaded and installed Python 2.6, installed PyCrypto for the same version, created a python file for ineptkey (version 5) and ineptepub (version 5.2) and made sure that their names were correct, but whenever I double click on ineptkey the .der file never shows up.

Both the ineptkey and ineptepub files are in my C:\Python26 file, is the .der file supposed to show up somewhere else? Or am I doing something else wrong? Any advice would be welcome.

EDIT:

Okay, I'm a dumbass that doesn't know how to use Python correctly. I figured out that I was copying the ineptkey file into the wrong python window 30 seconds after I posted this. /facepalm

joblack
07-28-2010, 07:21 PM

What is a JBL?

pilotbob
07-28-2010, 07:46 PM
What is a JBL?

Jetbook Lite maybe?

BOb

pietvo
07-29-2010, 12:31 AM
Okay, consider me hopeless. Using i heart cabbages for reference, I downloaded and installed Python 2.6, installed PyCrypto for the same version, created a python file for ineptkey (version 5) and ineptepub (version 5.2) and made sure that their names were correct, but whenever I double click on ineptkey the .der file never shows up.

Both the ineptkey and ineptepub files are in my C:\Python26 file, is the .der file supposed to show up somewhere else? Or am I doing something else wrong? Any advice would be welcome.

EDIT:

Okay, I'm a dumbass that doesn't know how to use Python correctly. I figured out that I was copying the ineptkey file into the wrong python window 30 seconds after I posted this. /facepalm
You shouldn't copy the python file to a python window, whatever that may be. Just put them somewhere, e.g. on your desktop and double-click on them. Preferably do not put them in C:\Python26 as they will disappear if you have to reinstall Python. And the adeptkey.der file probably will be on your desktop, although I am not sure of that. You can always use the search function to find it.

homerun360
07-29-2010, 08:45 AM
When I open the Inupt Epub Decrypter, the key file is missing. I ran the Inept Key file script and got the message "Key successfully retrieved to adeptkey.der".

styxx374
07-29-2010, 12:00 PM
Jetbook Lite maybe?

BOb

Yes. :)

I am going to try one more time to break the pdf down into smaller pdfs to see if that works. After that I don't know.....

pietvo
07-30-2010, 08:49 AM
When I open the Inupt Epub Decrypter, the key file is missing. I ran the Inept Key file script and got the message "Key successfully retrieved to adeptkey.der".
You have to look where the adeptkey.der file is stored. On my Mac it will be stored in the same directory as the script. Ineptepub has a button in the right part (with three dots) where you can browse for this file. If you can't find it in the current directory then use the search function of your computer to locate it.

joblack
08-01-2010, 10:52 PM

It's the same with my Iliad (but they have to be huge to be a problem).

The script can handle PDFs with unlimited size. If it is filling the memory it (or more precisely Windows) will start to swap on the hard disk. I must admin I saw such a PDF bigger than 1 GBytes only once.

Justy
08-03-2010, 01:22 AM
Yay! I got this to work for me! Next question... does anyone know if there is a way to use these scripts from a batch file? I usually purchase several eBooks at a time and with Mobipocket would liberate the ebooks a folder at a time rather than one ebook at a time as it seems I must do with ineptepub. Thanks.

FizzyWater
08-03-2010, 05:53 AM
Search for a script that starts with "a" (aineptepub). It'll decrypt all the books in the folder of your choice.

nelson7lim
08-15-2010, 11:40 AM
i would like to ask, if i would like to use it on pdf to convert to either kindle or nook, which one should i use?

wallcraft
08-15-2010, 12:32 PM
if i would like to use it on pdf to convert to either kindle or nook, which one should i use? For PDFs, use ineptpdf.pyw. The DRM-free PDF can be read directly on a Kindle or Nook - or you can convert to MOBI/ePub using Calibre.

HarryT
08-15-2010, 12:36 PM
For PDFs, use ineptpdf.pyw. The DRM-free PDF can be read directly on a Kindle or Nook - or you can convert to MOBI/ePub using Calibre.

It has to be said, though, that PDF files rarely convert well to other formats. A considerably amount of manual editing is generally required on the resulting file to get a good result.

texasnightowl
08-15-2010, 10:44 PM
Search for a script that starts with "a" (aineptepub). It'll decrypt all the books in the folder of your choice.

Ever seen a similar script for ignoble? I've been grabbing the weekly free classics and a script that does a folder at once would be a lot easier.

tetrachroma
08-21-2010, 03:47 PM
The bulk processing epub decryption script (aineptepub 5.2) has been updated to be able to keep up with ILC release. This release can handle special directory cases and should work for the Mac as well.

Now it is possible to decrypt whole directories (of epubs) again. Enjoy ...

FizzyWater
08-21-2010, 09:49 PM
What about 5.2 is better than 4.1 (which never stopped working on whole directories)...?

joblack
08-22-2010, 02:46 PM
What about 5.2 is better than 4.1 (which never stopped working on whole directories)...?

As far as I can see it's mainly about Mac improvements (works without PyCrypto) and the regular expression recognition is improved. Try to decrypt a directory which contains a directory called 'bla.epub' ...

FizzyWater
08-22-2010, 10:35 PM
Thanks, joblack. Since I don't have a Mac and wouldn't know a "regular expression" (except maybe "Hello, how are you?" ;) ), I'm probably fine with 4.1.

joblack
08-23-2010, 12:30 PM
Thanks, joblack. Since I don't have a Mac and wouldn't know a "regular expression" (except maybe "Hello, how are you?" ;) ), I'm probably fine with 4.1.

The old ainept script doesn't distinguish between files and directories. If you have a directory which is called something.epub the old script will stop.

Anyway, as I haven't written the improvements I cannot say if there are other improvements I can't see on the first glimpse.

Well, regular expressions (RE) are something different. One of them is 'ls *.epub' (or to be more precise only the '*' is a RE - > example for Mac/Linux) - in that case you want to see all files (and directories) with the epub extension.

gypsymullo
08-25-2010, 02:25 AM
I have an epub that I bought and sadly can't seem to shake the DRM. I get the adeptkey with no problem, however when I go to do the ineptepub I get this.... "error: ciphertext too large"

I made sure the pycrypto I got was for the correct python version, uninstalled and reinstalled, located different ineptkey and ineptepub's and tried those, all to the same error. And I cruised around google for awhile trying to find an answer and got no where.

So any help from anyone would be most appreciated, since I'm completely lost.

Thank you!

update: Nevermind I got it, I found different versions of ineptkey and ineptepub's that worked. Not sure why, but I'm not complaining. :)

joblack
08-26-2010, 10:25 AM
I have an epub that I bought and sadly can't seem to shake the DRM. I get the adeptkey with no problem, however when I go to do the ineptepub I get this.... "error: ciphertext too large"

I made sure the pycrypto I got was for the correct python version, uninstalled and reinstalled, located different ineptkey and ineptepub's and tried those, all to the same error. And I cruised around google for awhile trying to find an answer and got no where.

So any help from anyone would be most appreciated, since I'm completely lost.

Thank you!

update: Nevermind I got it, I found different versions of ineptkey and ineptepub's that worked. Not sure why, but I'm not complaining. :)

Of course you would have known what (newer) version to use if you would have read in this forum thread for 5 minutes :chinscratch:

FlorenceArt
08-26-2010, 10:28 AM
Of course you would have known what (newer) version to use if you would have read in this forum thread for 5 minutes :chinscratch:

Wow, you can read a 57 page thread in 5 minutes? Care to give us any tips? :p

joblack
08-26-2010, 04:22 PM
Wow, you can read a 57 page thread in 5 minutes? Care to give us any tips? :p

Sure read from the last entries backwards ... I doubt you need more than 5 pages to find the required information.

foxglove
09-27-2010, 04:34 AM
On trying to run ineptpub_v5.2.pwy, I get the error message that the file name in the directory and header differ.

I tried unzipping the epub to another folder, and rezipping it with epub zip, where I got the error that it wasn't an adept epub. I checked, but the DRM hadn't been removed.

I tried with several books, same errors in each case.

Has anyone else run into this problem?

KevinH
09-27-2010, 06:56 PM
Hi,

Yes, your zip archive has a central directory name that does not match the file name. This is a bug in how the epub was zipped up. It is actuyalloy a security issue but no one at Adobe seems to be interested in properly fixing it. This has nothing to do with DRM itself so I don't feel bad explaining.

Simply unzip it, fix the name of the file manually (to match its opf file name) if necessary, and ****properly**** re-zip it. My guess is you are simply not re-zipping it back up properly

The key to properly re-zipping it is to add the files to the zip archive in the proper order, without compression for some files, and obviously in the proper directories. You can find directions via Google how to do this by hand on the web.

There are tools available to make this easy for both Mac and Windows users.

On Windows - a simple google search gives me the following link. I have never tried it but it should work and if not, the author should be able to help.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84675

On Mac's - a simple google search gives me the following and I have used this on my Mac OS X and it works wonderfully!

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55681

There are ways to do with with the command line unzip program by turning on the repair option for users of Linux.

Something here should properly fix the zip archive.

Jane A
10-03-2010, 08:10 PM
Okay, I just did something really, really stupid. :smack: I updated my ineptkey - meant to hit " ineptepub.pyw" and hit "ineptkey.pyw" instead, updating it. Augh! Now my ineptepub script doesn't work! Can some kind person explain how to rectify this stupid mistake? I know it has something to do with the new ADE version. I'm afraid to mess with things too much without a plan in case I make things even worse.
Thanks for any help. :blink:

SpiderMatt
10-03-2010, 08:29 PM
The latest ineptkey script should crack the latest Digital Editions. I haven't been blocking updates or anything and I've had no problems. I've been using ineptkey v4.3.

Leep
10-03-2010, 08:29 PM
If you re-download the ebook, the newer copy should work with your new key.

cheers

Jane A
10-03-2010, 09:17 PM
Thanks SpiderMatt and Leep. I gave you karma for your support. :thumbsup:

The fix ended up being much easier than I thought and now I'm good to go. Redownloading the book file didn't work, but I upgraded everything to the latest version and now it all works again. I guess I ought to stop and think rather than panicking. :rolleyes: It just took me SO long to figure the script out in the first place that I thought I had a real problem on my hands.

doreenjoy
10-05-2010, 03:23 AM
I've downloaded aineptepub for Python 2.6 (the version I have installed). I have ineptepub (GUI version) working fine, but I'm struggling with aineptepub.

Can anyone give me the syntax for aineptepub? I've looked through a dozen pages of this thread and tried search, but to no avail.

pthwaite
10-05-2010, 04:33 AM
I think if you read the python file, any text exitor, it tells you within the prpgramme. It usually shows up with the error message but thatcan be somewhat fleeting
H

doreenjoy
10-05-2010, 04:45 AM
I think if you read the python file, any text exitor, it tells you within the prpgramme. It usually shows up with the error message but thatcan be somewhat fleeting
H

Thanks, I tried that. It says "double click to run" which does nothing. So I thought I needed a command line argument.

Maybe I'll poke around for a different script; this one may not be functional.

ETA: YEP, looks like I had a bad script. Problem solved, thanks.

FlorenceArt
10-05-2010, 05:44 AM
Thanks, I tried that. It says "double click to run" which does nothing. So I thought I needed a command line argument.

Maybe I'll poke around for a different script; this one may not be functional.

ETA: YEP, looks like I had a bad script. Problem solved, thanks.

Have you tried running it in command line with just the script name (python aineptepub)? It might give you the syntax. One of the scripts I use does that anyway.

doreenjoy
10-05-2010, 08:05 AM
Have you tried running it in command line with just the script name (python aineptepub)? It might give you the syntax. One of the scripts I use does that anyway.

Thanks -- I did solve the problem. I had a bad script.

rrogde
10-19-2010, 05:04 PM
I purchased a epub book from kobobooks and added it to ADE,
the ineptkey script gives me this error
File "C:\Users\jaffar\Desktop\ineptkey.pyw", line 230, in main
retrieve_key(keypath)
File "C:\Users\jaffar\Desktop\ineptkey.pyw", line 203, in retrieve_key
with open(keypath, 'wb') as f:
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'adeptkey.der'

sorry, i figured it out, it's okay now

Hi, can you please tell me what you did to fix this problem......thanks

texasnightowl
10-24-2010, 04:50 PM
Happy Dance Time!

Those of you who know where to find these things :p There is a new v2.0 zip that contains Calibre plugins for EPUB files!!! Adobe and B&N!!! I've downloaded an am about to try them!

Whohoo! Worked great! Tested with 4 B&N epubs. I used config method 2 (see the readme in the download) and put my der and b64 files in the Calibre config folder. Yay!

Another edit to clarify: I run Windows 7 x64.

pietvo
10-25-2010, 09:08 AM
By the way, how do you get B&N epubs? When I buy B&N ebooks I get pdb which is more hassle to convert to liberate and convert to epub.

FlorenceArt
10-25-2010, 09:29 AM
Happy Dance Time!

Those of you who know where to find these things :p There is a new v2.0 zip that contains Calibre plugins for EPUB files!!! Adobe and B&N!!! I've downloaded an am about to try them!

Whohoo! Worked great! Tested with 4 B&N epubs. I used config method 2 (see the readme in the download) and put my der and b64 files in the Calibre config folder. Yay!

Sounds cool, thank you. Do you know if they work on Mac?

texasnightowl
10-25-2010, 10:23 AM
By the way, how do you get B&N epubs? When I buy B&N ebooks I get pdb which is more hassle to convert to liberate and convert to epub.

if I remember right, it is MAC users who get pdb files these days? are you running a mac? I use windows and get epubs when I download.

texasnightowl
10-25-2010, 10:28 AM

I do not know actually. My guess would be if you were previously able to use ineptepub or ignoble then the plugins would probably work for you, but I know nothing about Mac's and don't know if the previous python scripts worked on Mac's or not.

FlorenceArt
10-25-2010, 10:54 AM
I do not know actually. My guess would be if you were previously able to use ineptepub or ignoble then the plugins would probably work for you, but I know nothing about Mac's and don't know if the previous python scripts worked on Mac's or not.

Yes, the scripts work on Mac, mostly, but only in a terminal window - although it may be possible to encapsulate them in a script, I'm not sure. Anyway, I'll just have to download the package and read the doc to find out, I guess. :)

pdurrant
10-25-2010, 10:59 AM

They should do. I haven't tested myself, but some other people have (alledgedly :) ).

krischik
10-25-2010, 12:40 PM
Those of you who know where to find these things

For those not in the know which payers do they have to voice to the Google god for personal enlightenment?

KevinH
10-25-2010, 12:52 PM
Yes, the scripts work on Mac, mostly, but only in a terminal window - although it may be possible to encapsulate them in a script, I'm not sure. Anyway, I'll just have to download the package and read the doc to find out, I guess. :)

Hi,

On a Mac they do work and do NOT need a terminal window. You can simply double-click them. If that doesn't work, then you changed what launches .pyw files on your Mac away from the Python Launcher.app or you are running Mac OS X 10.5 whose Python Launcher.app is broken and needs to have its preferences changed to get things to work.

Since neither of these is DRM specific, I would be happy to tell people how to get the gui versions (.pyw) working by a simple double-click on a Mac, just pm me here.

KevinH

Leep
10-25-2010, 01:00 PM
The Calibre plugin eliminates the need for pycrypto and the pyw scripts.

KevinH
10-25-2010, 01:03 PM
The Calibre plugin eliminates the need for pycrypto and the pyw scripts.

Yes, but Only if you are a calibre user! ;)

Leep
10-25-2010, 01:12 PM
Without Calibre is a day without sunshine! KovidGoyal rocks!

texasnightowl
10-25-2010, 02:15 PM
For those not in the know which payers do they have to voice to the Google god for personal enlightenment?

Look for the blog by Apprentice Alf...go to the last topic on the page and read the comments :>

lila55
10-25-2010, 04:28 PM

If you download the books you bought from B&N with NOOKstudy (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nookstudy/index.asp), they get downloaded as epub.

notsure
10-25-2010, 08:59 PM

I haven't tried this myself but I have been told they work fine on a mac if you have renamed the epub to zip and then run the folder through ePub Zip 1.0.2 to generate a new DRM'd epub.

Croptop
10-25-2010, 09:36 PM

Thanks for the update, Texasnightowl. On my Mac, I was only able to get the ineptepub plugin to work but that was good enough. Having that plugin has greatly simplified my task of getting my library books onto my iPad.

FlorenceArt
10-26-2010, 04:05 AM
I haven't tried this myself but I have been told they work fine on a mac if you have renamed the epub to zip and then run the folder through ePub Zip 1.0.2 to generate a new DRM'd epub.

As far as I know, this is only necessary for some epubs, not all. But I haven't tried the plugin yet, I'm talking from my experience with the scripts in the Terminal.

texasnightowl
10-26-2010, 09:14 PM
Guess what folks? In the same location there is now a v2.1 tools...no change to the epub and ignoble plug-ins, but a new plug in for PDB files...could be of interest to those of you who get PDB's from B&N on Mac's? Also, a plug in to replace the mobidedrm plugin...this new plugin supposedly handles regular AZW, mobi AND K4PC files...all in one...I haven't tried it yet because I still don't run K4PC...but fun stuff...and thanks to DiapDealer!

Leep
10-26-2010, 09:23 PM
Yes. Everyone give lots of karma to Diapdealer! Our hero

Also, an important development. Diapdealer has written the plugins so that you no longer need to install python.

cheers

columbus
10-28-2010, 10:32 AM
Absolutely Brilliant - a big thank you to all involved

doreenjoy
10-28-2010, 07:46 PM
I light a candle for I heart cabbages every day!

notsure
11-12-2010, 07:54 PM
As far as I know, this is only necessary for some epubs, not all. But I haven't tried the plugin yet, I'm talking from my experience with the scripts in the Terminal.

The site now has a new version which allows the plug-in to even deal with these epubs.

Fantastic!

sookie
11-15-2010, 03:35 AM
After spending the last four hours reading all 59 pages of this post, I'm still confused. I'm not tech savvy and if it were up to me I'd have a giant carpetbag to lug around my books. However, airport baggage weight limits and the fact that I can't curl more than 20lbs have me hooked on my kindle. Thus... the long winded plea for help.

My computer runs on windows 7 and I'm trying to follow the directions mr. cabbage posted without much success. I gather that I must 1) download something called python 2) download something else called pycrypto. Upon downloading I run these two programs and hopefully (I think) some boxes and prompts will pop up requesting me to insert some keys (indeptkey/adeptkey) and voila- all my problems are solved?

However, when I go and try to follow step 1 (let alone step 2,3,4 and 5) I can't find python 2.6 that is all the rage on this board. Python.org indicates there's a new version- python 2.7... yet there's like six options for this download (seen here: http://www.python.org/download/). I'm not sure which one, if this is the right version, to download. I don't understand this language at all! I can speak three languages but computer is not one of them... what is windows binary? windows amd? linux...?

I can't get past the first step! Someone please take pity on me and help!

DMcCunney
11-15-2010, 10:47 AM
My computer runs on windows 7 and I'm trying to follow the directions mr. cabbage posted without much success. I gather that I must 1) download something called python 2) download something else called pycrypto. Upon downloading I run these two programs and hopefully (I think) some boxes and prompts will pop up requesting me to insert some keys (indeptkey/adeptkey) and voila- all my problems are solved?
Well, hopefully.

Python is an open source programming language. The software that does the magic spoken of here is written in Python. Pycrypto.py is a Python program, and you need Python to run it,

However, when I go and try to follow step 1 (let alone step 2,3,4 and 5) I can't find python 2.6 that is all the rage on this board. Python.org indicates there's a new version- python 2.7... yet there's like six options for this download (seen here: http://www.python.org/download/). I'm not sure which one, if this is the right version, to download. I don't understand this language at all! I can speak three languages but computer is not one of them... what is windows binary? windows amd? linux...?

The default standard version of Python for Windows is the one from ActiveState. ActiveState makes their living supporting open source programming languages including Perl, Python, and Tcl-Tk. They sell supported versions, but also offer free "community" versions.

A Windows binary is an executable version of the program compiled to run on Windows. (Python is also available for Linux and Mac OS/X.)

Linux is a popular open source operating system designed to look and act like the Unix operating system developed 25 years ago at AT&T Bell Laboratories. It's comparable to Windows, and many folks prefer it to Windows. AMD is the name of a manufacturer of CPU chips. It's short for Advanced Micro Devices. AMD CPUs are "Intel compatible", and can be used instead of Intel Pentium chips. Whether you have an Intel or an AMD CPU will depend on what machine you have. The choice of CPU is made by the PC vendor. In general , Intel and AMD CPUs behave identically, and you don't care which your machine uses.

You can get the ActiveState Python version here:
http://www.activestate.com/activepython/downloads

They have the 2.6 release, as well as 2.5, 2.7 and the current 3.1 releases. You want the one labeled Windows Installer (MSI). An MSI file is a file in the Microsoft Windows Installer format. You should be able to simply double click on in, and Windows Installer will be invoked to install the software.
______
Dennis

FlorenceArt
11-15-2010, 02:21 PM
After spending the last four hours reading all 59 pages of this post, I'm still confused. I'm not tech savvy and if it were up to me I'd have a giant carpetbag to lug around my books. However, airport baggage weight limits and the fact that I can't curl more than 20lbs have me hooked on my kindle. Thus... the long winded plea for help.

I can't get past the first step! Someone please take pity on me and help!

Here is a link on how to install Python and pycrypto (http://dearauthor.com/wordpress/2010/02/21/how-to-install-python-and-pycrypto/). It helped me a lot, I hope it helps you too.

KevinH
11-15-2010, 02:30 PM
FWIW:

The very latest version of the tools (v2.2a) from Apprentice Alf you no longer need to use/build/install PyCrypto at all! So no need to install SDKs for Mac and building your own PyCrypto anymore. The files have been modified to work with OpenSSL which is already installed on Mac OS X and Linux.

As for Windows, I recommend simply installing the the ActiveState version of Python 2.6 or 2.7 (32 bit) using the .msi installer link provided earlier. Windows users can find links to install OpenSSL as well making PyCrypto unnecessary on Windows as well.

Leep
11-15-2010, 03:52 PM
You also do not need to install Python if you use Calibre and the plugins. Since Calibre is built with python, the plugins get what they need from the Calibre installation.

cheers

sookie
11-16-2010, 12:04 AM
Thanks for all the replies everyone although TBH I don't understand a lot of the responses :X I'm going to start with the activestate link that Dennis so generously provided and hopefully that plus the link FlorenceArt gave will help me through. Thanks so much to you both.

Leep, I'm a little (ok a lot) confused by your response.... I thought all of these hoops (python+pyrocrypter+indept/adeptkeys) = usuable format that doesn't have DMR to be uploaded onto calibre then my kindle. Are you saying I can just download the latest versino of calibre and skip all of the above? I'm sorry for not understanding, I'm just really-really computer illiterate.

sookie
11-16-2010, 12:24 AM
ok! I just downloaded python 2.6.6.15 for Windows x64 and now I'm looking to download pycrypto. Will "Pycrypto 2.1 for 32bit Windows and Python 2.6" work for me even though my system runs on Windows x64?

Sorry for the deluge of questions. I swear I'm not trying to be so frustrating!

wallcraft
11-16-2010, 12:53 AM
Are you saying I can just download the latest versino of calibre and skip all of the above? Not quite. To be legal in the US (for example), Calibre only format-shifts DRM-free ebooks. However, it has a framework for plug-ins that do stuff it can't do alone (web browsers also often support plug-ins, it is a popular way to make your package more capable by getting other people to do the work). So the tools_v2.2a bundle includes plug-ins for Calibre that strip the DRM as part of the import process to Calibre. So Calibre plus the right plug-ins is all you need. See Apprentice Alf's Blog, and don't forget to look in the comments for the latest stuff (although tools_v2.1 is also "good enough"). You don't need Python or pycrypto for the Calibre plug-ins.

dmapr
11-16-2010, 02:09 AM
ok! I just downloaded python 2.6.6.15 for Windows x64 and now I'm looking to download pycrypto. Will "Pycrypto 2.1 for 32bit Windows and Python 2.6" work for me even though my system runs on Windows x64?

As far as I know the 32-bit PyCrypto will not work with 64-bit Python. Either download the 32-bit Python or build the 64-bit version of PyCrypto if you feel comfortable enough. I chose the latter option.

sookie
11-16-2010, 02:46 AM
This sounds much more manageable, especially for a noob like me.

To do this all I'd have to do is download the latest calibre version and run the right plug in which may be found on AA's blog. Question (cause I'm full of 'em!) how does one exactly "run a plug-in"?

I've done some more poking around on the python/pycryptor method and I don't think its for me as I don't understand half of what's being said in the how-tos. Even the step-by-step kind. I don't know how to "instruct" the python to do something. I wish there was a software I could buy that will do all of this... it would be so worth it.

So Calibre plus the right plug-ins is all you need. See Apprentice Alf's Blog, and don't forget to look in the comments for the latest stuff (although tools_v2.1 is also "good enough"). You don't need Python or pycrypto for the Calibre plug-ins.

pthwaite
11-16-2010, 04:02 AM
There is a read me file in the downloaded file from AA and that tells you where to put the plugins for calibre

paola
11-19-2010, 01:15 PM
There is a read me file in the downloaded file from AA and that tells you where to put the plugins for calibre
guys, thanks for your help, but I really cannot find the plugin - all I manage to understand is that the script is called K4MobiDeDRM.py, and that in order to use it in Calibre as a plugin I should "rename this file so that the filename ends in '_plugin.py', put it into a ZIP file with all its supporting python routines and import that ZIP into Calibre using its plugin configuration GUI".
I have managed to locate this source [link removed] for K4MobiDeDRM.py, but I am a loss as to which "python supporting routines" are needed, and where to find them - very grateful for your help!

DiapDealer
11-19-2010, 02:28 PM
If you downloaded the latest Tools archive (version 2.2a), it contains a Calibre Plugins folder that has all of the plugins all zipped up and ready to install. No renaming, zipping, or tracking down of supporting scripts is necessary. The README to install the plugin is there also.

EDIT: And you're definitely using the wrong plugin if you're working with epubs... which this thread is about.

paola
11-19-2010, 03:06 PM
And you're definitely using the wrong plugin if you're working with epubs... which this thread is about.

Thanks DiapDealer,
bear in mind that I am rather computer illiterate, so maybe the file I mentioned above is not the right one.
If you downloaded the latest Tools archive (version 2.2a)

Ah, now I understand, thanks for your patience!

joblack
11-20-2010, 03:04 PM

lts recommended to use 32 bit python and plugins even on a 64 bit system.

pilotbob
11-20-2010, 03:10 PM
lts recommended to use 32 bit python and plugins even on a 64 bit system.

Yes.

BOb

speedlever
11-30-2010, 07:39 AM
I wonder if sookie ever figured it out?

If not, there's a link to a manual for the process found in the comments of I love cabbages blog about circumventing Adobe Adept DRM for epub.

sookie
11-30-2010, 01:58 PM
Hi speedlever, I did finally figure it out with a lot of patient help from the members here. Thanks again to all involved :)

Wenznz
11-30-2010, 08:46 PM
Ok, I'm another newby having minor issues. I've read through large portions of this thread, and thought I had myself sorted, but it's not quite going to plan?!

I currently have the 0.7.31 version of Calibre installed, and have downloaded the v2.2a version of AA's plugins downloaded to my computer.
I've looked at the readme file on how to get it into Calibre, but when I follow the instructional, Calibre wants to install the whole 2.2a zip file, rather than just the Calibre plugin zip file (which from looking at the readme is what I want to do??)

Also, can't quite figure out if I also need to download the Active State python installer, or if this only relates to previous versions.

All assistance much appreciated

wallcraft
11-30-2010, 08:59 PM
I've looked at the readme file on how to get it into Calibre, but when I follow the instructional, Calibre wants to install the whole 2.2a zip file, rather than just the Calibre plugin zip file (which from looking at the readme is what I want to do??)

Also, can't quite figure out if I also need to download the Active State python installer, or if this only relates to previous versions. You don't need to install Python.

The only thing I can think of about getting tools_2.2a zip when you select ineptepub_*_plugin.zip is that perhaps you have opened the zip without actually unzipping it. I seem to recall that Windows can do this. Make sure it is actually unzipped into actual folders. Alternatively, if you only see tools_2.2a zip perhaps there is a folder listed that contains the plugin. Drill down until you find it.

speedlever
11-30-2010, 09:14 PM
Quick question: if you already have the latest version of Python, pycrypto, and the scripts installed and operational, will installing the 2.2a plug-in to Calibre cause any conflicts with anything?

IE, do the two ways of circumventing DRM conflict with each other on the same computer?

Wenznz
11-30-2010, 09:45 PM
You don't need to install Python.

The only thing I can think of about getting tools_2.2a zip when you select ineptepub_*_plugin.zip is that perhaps you have opened the zip without actually unzipping it. I seem to recall that Windows can do this. Make sure it is actually unzipped into actual folders. Alternatively, if you only see tools_2.2a zip perhaps there is a folder listed that contains the plugin. Drill down until you find it.

Thank you for the reply Wallcraft - I should perhaps clarify.
I've unzipped the 2.2a zip and found the plugin zip inside it(and then the specific zips inside that) when I look at it in the download folder. It's when I open it in Calibre, it wont let me open the main 2.2a zip to get to the plugins etc.

Now I'll admit I'm not very tech savvy, so I'm probably missing some really obvious step, but I am pleased for the help :blink:

wallcraft
11-30-2010, 10:37 PM
TIt's when I open it in Calibre, it wont let me open the main 2.2a zip to get to the plugins etc. Are you in Preferences -> Plugins? Preferences in the gears icon. I can't show you the tools plugins, but the attached screen shots are what 4 plugins in a Calibre_Plugins folder might look like just before you "Add new plugin" to Calibre.

Wenznz
11-30-2010, 11:52 PM
Ok, big thank you to wallcraft and vulcan_girl for their help.

After I extracted the zip files out of the original zip into a new folder, and then figured out where to look in the plugins menu to see where they went, I'm golden!!

burhan
12-21-2010, 07:33 PM
first of all thanks for great work.

i've a strange issue. i searched the forum but nothing found.

i've succesfully removed drm from lots of epubs which are purchased from same website. but i downloaded an epub from different site today, opened in ADE without any issue, decrypted with ineptepub. i can see cover image in decrypted epub but text is a mess. i'm seeing texts like "›IHT�&7�~0�" when i open it in calibre.

now, isn't it decrypted really? or how can i fix that?

i'm sorry if it's asked before. forgive a newbie..

wallcraft
12-21-2010, 08:20 PM
i'm seeing texts like "›IHT�&7�~0�" when i open it in calibre. Can you read the DRM-free version with Adobe Digital Editions? If not, then the drm-stripping failed somehow.

Otherwise, it could be an encoding issue, see How do I convert my file containing non-English characters, or smart quotes? (http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual/faq.html#how-do-i-convert-my-file-containing-non-english-characters-or-smart-quotes). An ePub declares its encoding, but sometimes it declares the wrong encoding. This does not sound like the normal encoding issue though, so it might be something else.

burhan
12-22-2010, 03:55 AM
Can you read the DRM-free version with Adobe Digital Editions? If not, then the drm-stripping failed somehow.

Otherwise, it could be an encoding issue, see How do I convert my file containing non-English characters, or smart quotes? (http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual/faq.html#how-do-i-convert-my-file-containing-non-english-characters-or-smart-quotes). An ePub declares its encoding, but sometimes it declares the wrong encoding. This does not sound like the normal encoding issue though, so it might be something else.

in ADE, i can't read either. different from calibre i can't see any text or characters, but cover image is fine. if this is a drm-stripping issue, how am i able to see cover image?

btw, i tried a lot of character encoding types in calibre, still same.

burhan
12-23-2010, 05:54 AM
first of all thanks for great work.

i've a strange issue. i searched the forum but nothing found.

i've succesfully removed drm from lots of epubs which are purchased from same website. but i downloaded an epub from different site today, opened in ADE without any issue, decrypted with ineptepub. i can see cover image in decrypted epub but text is a mess. i'm seeing texts like "IHT�&7�~0�" when i open it in calibre.

now, isn't it decrypted really? or how can i fix that?

i'm sorry if it's asked before. forgive a newbie..

thanks to pdurrant, this problem is fixed. it seems that there's a mis-match in the way the non-ASCII characters are encoded in file names in various places, so the de-drm routines fail to match the files up, and they don't get decoded.

so for a future reference, we are able to fix that issue by changing file names that includes non-ASCII characters, and related lines that points to these files in the content.opf and encryption.xml.

Juris
12-26-2010, 04:28 AM
thanks to pdurrant, this problem is fixed. it seems that there's a mis-match in the way the non-ASCII characters are encoded in file names in various places, so the de-drm routines fail to match the files up, and they don't get decoded.

so for a future reference, we are able to fix that issue by changing file names that includes non-ASCII characters, and related lines that points to these files in the content.opf and encryption.xml.

I'm having a problem removing DRM from a Latvian epub book. Could this be related?
Thanks

wallcraft
12-26-2010, 11:15 AM
I'm having a problem removing DRM from a Latvian epub book. I recently noticed that the tools_2.4 bundle includes a python script, ePub_Fixer.pyw, to correct filename issues. I don't know if it will always work on non-ascii filenames, but it sounds easy to try.

burhan
12-26-2010, 06:25 PM
I recently noticed that the tools_2.4 bundle includes a python script, ePub_Fixer.pyw, to correct filename issues. I don't know if it will always work on non-ascii filenames, but it sounds easy to try.

ePub_Fixer.pyw didn't fix the problem i have. i corrected the file names one by one and repacked the folder to epub with epubpack.

I'm having a problem removing DRM from a Latvian epub book. Could this be related?
Thanks

please change the file extension from epub to zip and open it. check the xhtml file names. if the file names include non-ascii characters, then this is probably your problem. my epubs include characters like ", ". and i think it's possible that your epubs' file names contain letters with diacritic marks, because of the Latvian alphabet.

Juris
12-28-2010, 02:25 AM
ePub_Fixer.pyw didn't fix the problem i have. i corrected the file names one by one and repacked the folder to epub with epubpack.

please change the file extension from epub to zip and open it. check the xhtml file names. if the file names include non-ascii characters, then this is probably your problem. my epubs include characters like ", ". and i think it's possible that your epubs' file names contain letters with diacritic marks, because of the Latvian alphabet.

I had help on another forum and indeed it was a problem with filenames: "It turns out this is a problem with file name encoding, and is a bug in the ineptepub code. A fix is in the pipeline, and should be released soon". Thanks for your input and help

dkperez
12-28-2010, 11:28 AM
I"m TOTALLY baffled.......... I read the first 10 or so pages of this topic, which are very old. Then I read the last 10 trying to figure out what/how/with what works.....

I have a Nook Color. My wife ALSO has a Nook Color. We get books from the library and occasionally from B&N. I probably DON'T need to remove the DRM, but it seems like a good tool to have available should the need ever occur...

I'm running Win 7, 64-bit. SO, I went out and installed Python - v2.7. And pycrypto-2.1.0.win32-ph2.7.zip
Found ineptkey.pyw and ineptepub.pyw and installed those.

Ran ineptkey.pyw and it said it was successful.
Ran ineptepub.pyw, gave it the folder where a ebook was, and a different output directory, and it kicked out:
Error in:<big number>_ePub.v2.epub problem decrypting session key

SO, I downloaded ignoblekey.pyw, ignoblekeygen.pyw, and ignobleepub.pyw.

Ran ignoblekeygen.pyw and it ALSO came back with a sucess.
Ran ignobleepub.pyw and got the following error:
Error: Error -3 while decompressing: invalid block type

Rummaged around in this topic some MORE, and found a reference to "tools_v1.9.zip, which I downloaded, and unzipped.....

Went to the folder of B&N tools and used THOSE versions of ignoble..., and got exactly the same result.

FINALLY, I went out and REMOVED Python 2.7 and pycrypto, and replaced them with Python 2.6 and pycrypto-2.1.0-win32-py2.6.exe

Ran everything again and got the SAME ERROR AGAIN......

SO, clearly, I'm not doing something right......

Can SOMEONE, in a clear, unambiguous, idiot-proof manner, consolidate the mass of information here into a single set of instructions so should I ever need to do this, it'll actually work?

pdurrant
12-28-2010, 11:46 AM
Can SOMEONE, in a clear, unambiguous, idiot-proof manner, consolidate the mass of information here into a single set of instructions so should I ever need to do this, it'll actually work?

Not here.

But if you wander over to Apprentice Alf's blog, you should find the latest tools, and a place where you can ask questions (if the readmes don't help).

dkperez
12-28-2010, 03:58 PM
Sorry guys... Didn't intend to get anyone in trouble..... Mostly, I was hoping for some consolidation that'd bring the most current ideas together - not providing the explicit instructions that aren't allowed....

Overall, this is sounding VERY complex (at least given the number of failures I've had so far), and since I don't actually need to implement anything at this time, I think I'd best wait a while.

Given this was the "first year the ebook readers became mainstream" (I don't recall what newscast I saw that on), I figure there will shortly be thousands of new users, the outcry over DRM will get louder, and hopefully the processes for removing it when necessary will get simpler...

Freeshadow
12-28-2010, 04:30 PM
the rest of us is rather hoping the outcry of a bigger user base becames loud enough to make REMOVAL obsolete.
i.e. the ePub(lishers)* learn the MP3-lesson on their own.

*)with my kindest greetings to all publishers and writers who already KNOW and don't annoy their customers/fans with that crap.
since a lot of them is active on MR they know they are meant by now.
I salute you and wish a X-ing of sneezing and diarrhoea to all pirating your stuff while you are so fair to the people.

JSWolf
12-28-2010, 04:46 PM
Anyone with 64-bit Windows running 64-bit Python needs to dump 64-bit Python for 32-bit Python.

pdurrant
12-29-2010, 12:03 PM
Overall, this is sounding VERY complex (at least given the number of failures I've had so far), and since I don't actually need to implement anything at this time, I think I'd best wait a while.

It's a lot simpler now than it has been. For most people the Calibre plug-in for ADE works without any problems or configuration.

KevinH
12-31-2010, 10:38 AM
FYI: The bug with international file names in epubs has been fixed and can be found in tools_v3.0.zip along with an updated calibre plugins for B&N and Adept ePubs (look at the end of the comments of the last topic on the main Alf page, or at the end of the DR comments).

speedlever
12-31-2010, 11:21 AM
Hmm. still showing v2.4 at Alf's place.

Edit: I take it back. Must go to post 18 for the tools 3.0 link. I thought he updated the main body when updates came along.

KevinH
12-31-2010, 11:41 AM
He will eventually but as they say "real life" sometimes gets in the way.

pdurrant
12-31-2010, 05:28 PM
Hmm. still showing v2.4 at Alf's place.

Edit: I take it back. Must go to post 18 for the tools 3.0 link. I thought he updated the main body when updates came along.

It seems to have been updated now.

burhan
01-01-2011, 01:20 AM
It seems to have been updated now.

... and working like a charm on non-ASCII character issue. everyone of you are great men, thanks...

retro
01-23-2011, 03:24 PM
I noticed on Alf's site that tools 3.2 is the latest. (Maybe his going away gift?)

I couldn't find a change log for any of them, particularly the ineptkey, ineptepub and inetpdf. I looked on pastebin but didn't find anything there. Has anyone seen what the fixes are?

Also, can anyone enlighten me as the advantages of Python 2.7 vs 2.6. And the advantages of Pycrypto 2.1 vs 2.0.1

I've been using the 2.6/2.0.1 combo for a while with no problems. I was considering trying the newer versions, but if there is no real advantage, I won't bother.

retro

pdurrant
01-23-2011, 03:43 PM
I've been using the 2.6/2.0.1 combo for a while with no problems. I was considering trying the newer versions, but if there is no real advantage, I won't bother.

There's no advantage to changing Python or PyCrypto version if what you have is working.

SusanaSP
02-14-2011, 01:06 PM
Hi,

I know this is a problem a lot of people are getting but I read thorugh most of this thread and I just can't find a solution to it.
I really hope you guys can help me.

I bought an ebook the other day (epub). They sent me the link and I installed Adobe Digital Editions for the first time to read it.

I opened the link and (as long as I didn't have an Adobe account) I pushed the unauthorised button.
Then, after reading that was necessary to use it in multiple computers, I created an account for ADE.

I went back to ADE and registerd it using my new account (I think I had to push Shift-contrl-D to do it).

After that, I just can't open the book any more. It says that it's lincesed to another user and if I click on the link again, it says: E_LIC_ALREADY_FULFILLED_BY_ANOTHER_USER.

I've tryed to uninstall ADE completely, also deleting the Adept key in the registry and the folder My Digital Editions and clicking on the link again, but it won't work.

The seller of the book says that the only thing they can do is sending me a fresh link to the book (not another book) and that I should uninstall ADE and try it again. Not working!

What am I doing wrong? Is it that i need to do something more to completely uninstall ADE?

Please heeeelp! :help:

Thank you very much!

pdurrant
02-14-2011, 02:15 PM
What am I doing wrong? Is it that i need to do something more to completely uninstall ADE?

Please heeeelp! :help:

Thank you very much!

Short: You're stuffed.

Long: By getting the ebook with an unregistered version of ADE, you tied the book to that computer and that installation of ADE. When you registered your copy of ADE, it stopped being the version to which that ebook is registered. And so it can't open the ebook. You can't strip the DRM from the ebook, as the keys used by ADE are now the ones for your registered installation, not your original installation. (If ADE can't read the ebook, the DRM tools can't removed the DRM either.)

You might just be able to get the retailer to allow you to get a new copy of the ebook (not just a download of the current .acsm file), but I think it unlikely. They would certainly at least have to pay the $0.22 per-book DRM fee to Adobe to do it, and it would probably register as a new sale and they'd also owe the publisher the wholesale price too.

I'm afraid you'll probably have to write this off to experience, and buy the ebook again if you still want to be able to read it.

speedlever
02-14-2011, 02:34 PM
The DRM plague strikes again.

It doesn't take any prisoners either.

pdurrant
02-14-2011, 02:39 PM
The DRM plague strikes again.

It doesn't take any prisoners either.

It was very foolish of Adobe to allow Adobe Digital Editions to work without registering it with an Adobe ID.

Or at least, to allow it without large warnings saying word to the effect that "You will lose access to your DRMed ebooks if you ever need to move to a different computer or re-installl the software."

SusanaSP
02-14-2011, 05:18 PM
That's too bad!! So nothing I can do then :(
Thanks for the reply anyway...

speedlever
02-14-2011, 05:29 PM
Where's our friend from Adobe? This should be a question right up his alley.

speedlever
02-14-2011, 05:32 PM
That's too bad!! So nothing I can do then :(
Thanks for the reply anyway...

I wouldn't go so far as to say there's nothing you can do. Google Apprentice Alf and look for a guide for the perplexed.

If you are minimally computer proficient, there are ways to deal with DRM infestation... as the title to this thread indicates.

pdurrant
02-15-2011, 04:07 AM
I wouldn't go so far as to say there's nothing you can do. Google Apprentice Alf and look for a guide for the perplexed.

If you are minimally computer proficient, there are ways to deal with DRM infestation... as the title to this thread indicates.

Unless the ebook can be read in Adobe Digital Editions, nothing that Apprentice Alf has will work.

Of course, using the tools on subsequent purchases will ensure this doesn't happen in the future...

speedlever
02-15-2011, 05:58 AM
Really? I thought as long as it was d/l to her computer, she merely had to locate the file and import it to calibre, after the appropriate plug-ins have been installed, which would then free the ebook from DRM prison.

pdurrant
02-15-2011, 06:04 AM
Really? I thought as long as it was d/l to her computer, she merely had to locate the file and import it to calibre, after the appropriate plug-ins have been installed, which would then free the ebook from DRM prison.

This is true, so long as it can be read by the current installation of Adobe Digital Editions.

None of the ebook DRM removal tools actually breaks the encryption, they just use the correct algorithm and 'secret' key to decrypt the ebook in the same way that the official ebook reading software does. If the 'secret' key is not available to the official software, the tools can't find it either.

speedlever
02-15-2011, 06:16 AM
Ouch. Thanks for the clarification.

The ADE DRM is now worse of an infection than I first thought.

I fail to understand why Adobe would give the option to open a book without registering ADE first. Or better yet, if it does allow that option, why register in the first place?

pdurrant
02-15-2011, 08:19 AM
I fail to understand why Adobe would give the option to open a book without registering ADE first. Or better yet, if it does allow that option, why register in the first place?

The reason for registering with an Adobe ID is so that you /can/ read your DRMed ebooks on other computers and devices. The DRM keys are based on the Adobe ID in that case. It's only if you don't register that the DRM is tied to a particular computer and installation.

I too fail to understand why Adobe allow people to use ADE without registering. It almost guarantees that nave users will get caught out by the DRM.

pietvo
02-15-2011, 02:12 PM
I think this is totally unacceptable behaviour by Adobe. It is equivalent to stealing your ebooks, IMHO. You should file a request on Adobe's support site to have your ebooks transferred to your new Adobe account.

retro
02-15-2011, 04:49 PM
I would try calibre with the plugin anyway. When I was testing it, I just pointed calibre to the My Digital Editions folder. Turns out there were several library books that were long expired and I had deleted from ADE. (Didn't know I had to manually delete the files from My Digital Editions.) Lo and behold, the plugin liberated them and they opened in calibre. Who would a thunk it??

pietvo
02-16-2011, 09:10 AM
@retro: That's a different case. In your case you still had the same Adobe key. When you switch to a new Adobe ID, you get a new key, and most probably the old key is lost. Calibre, or any other DRM removal stuff, would need the key with which the ebook was encrypted. If the person having this problem is lucky it might be buried somewhere in a backup, but even then, it probably will be hard to recover it.

EowynCarter
02-16-2011, 09:29 AM
Or at least, to allow it without large warnings saying word to the effect that "You will lose access to your DRMed ebooks if you ever need to move to a different computer or re-installl the software."
It warns when you refuse to authorize. Not in large red letters, but a perfectly explanatory text. (You know, THAT text, the text you didn't read because it's not important).
Though having the same warning repeated before download...

Got tricked the same way. I installed ADE. It pop the warning about activation "oh, never mind, i don't mean to download books right now".

But, a few months later, when I finally download a book, i had totally forgotten about that...

"Can't decrypt ebook" said inept. Me : What the ???.
After a while trying to figure out why inept was refusing to de-drm. I did the second mistake, i authorized ADE (despite ADE warning me pretty clearly of the consequences :smack:). And destroyed the temporary key...
Else, i could have use inept to get it, and de-drm the book...
Result -> two rather expensive e-books lost. Borders support wouldn't even care to answer.:furious2:

Teddyrose
02-17-2011, 01:47 AM
I know how to remove DRM for PDF and Epub but now I am getting books in PDF as ACSM files and the DRM removal for PDF doesn't work on them. The only reason I like to remove DRM is so that I can convert to epub which is much easier to read on my reader. Does anyone have any ideas?

FlorenceArt
02-17-2011, 03:38 AM
I know how to remove DRM for PDF and Epub but now I am getting books in PDF as ACSM files and the DRM removal for PDF doesn't work on them. The only reason I like to remove DRM is so that I can convert to epub which is much easier to read on my reader. Does anyone have any ideas?

An ACSM file must be opened with Adobe Digital Edition, it's only a link to download the actual file. After you have opened it you will have a PDF file that you can clean up. However don't put too much hope on converting a pdf file to ePub. Many PDFs are formatted in such a way that conversion is a pain.

speedlever
02-17-2011, 08:55 AM
ACSM files are not books. That's what ADE uses to d/l the actual book.

Oops. I see FA beat me to it.

Look for the book where ever ADE stores them on your computer. I always move the d/l file to where *I* want it to go, not where ADE stores it.

Teddyrose
02-17-2011, 05:07 PM
ACSM files are not books. That's what ADE uses to d/l the actual book.

Oops. I see FA beat me to it.

Look for the book where ever ADE stores them on your computer. I always move the d/l file to where *I* want it to go, not where ADE stores it.

Thanks to both you and FlorenceArt I got it figured out. Thanks so much for your help!

Bifford
02-20-2011, 04:01 AM
I heard there was a version of ineptkey.pyw that works with OpenSSL as well as PyCrypto. Since I can't get PyCrypto to work, where can I find this new version of ineptkey?

Toxaris
02-20-2011, 04:07 AM
Have you used the 32-bit version of PyCrypto?

GeoffC
02-20-2011, 05:16 AM
I heard there was a version of ineptkey.pyw that works with OpenSSL as well as PyCrypto. Since I can't get PyCrypto to work, where can I find this new version of ineptkey?

Welcome to Mobileread ... the only advice I can give you is to use google and source the version that way ... alternatively you may find some useful help in "clareyssong" and search that blog for drm .... very useful info ....

DiapDealer
02-20-2011, 08:01 AM
The tools (3.6) that come from Alf's Blog can use OpenSSL if it's installed. Mac and Linux come with OpenSSL right out of the box. Windows users can install the Full version of OpenSSL, but beware that many programs (such as Intel wireless helper programs) install partial pieces of OpenSSL that can interfere.

KevinH
02-20-2011, 09:56 AM
Welcome to Mobileread ... the only advice I can give you is to use google and source the version that way ... alternatively you may find some useful help in "clareyssong" and search that blog for drm .... very useful info ....

Hi,

Actually, that site has links to official Python (not ActiveState's Active Python for Windows) to OLD ApprenticeAlf tools.zip and it talks about installing Python even though the screen shots are taken from a Mac (which already has Python installed!) and then in the comments talks about PyCrypto which with the later versions in newer tools is not needed at all anymore if you have the full OpenSSL.

So although the screen shots are nice, the data provided is stale and incorrect in some places.

Teddyrose
03-05-2011, 12:10 AM
Is it possible to remove DRM from an XML document? It is labeled as "Manifest"

Thanks for any suggestions you have.

speedlever
03-05-2011, 05:41 AM
Note: tools 3.7 is up at the usual place.

buddybiz
04-04-2011, 03:12 PM
Hi! Tried to remove drm from 2 ebooks with current inept version (ade 1.7.2) and when i opened the decrypted ebooks only the index is readable but white pages without any content. They changed again something und the current scripts don't work anymore? People here with same problem?

TonyTerra
04-04-2011, 03:31 PM
With reference to Gideon's post I've had no trouble converting LRFs to epub using Calibre, this has to be the best conversion application for ebooks ever.

pdurrant
04-04-2011, 04:50 PM
Hi! Tried to remove drm from 2 ebooks with current inept version (ade 1.7.2) and when i opened the decrypted ebooks only the index is readable but white pages without any content. They changed again something und the current scripts don't work anymore? People here with same problem?

DRM circumvention can't be discussed here. I suggest you try at Apprentice Alf's blog.

GeoffC
04-05-2011, 05:28 AM
buddybiz

:hatsoff:

Welcome to Mobileread .... :ditto: as pdurrant advised ....

Foxxy
05-21-2011, 09:51 PM
I need a bit of help here - trying to run the EPub DRM removal program of the Cabbage lover - and have run into a snag.
Hopefully it's a simple one - here are the details:
I noticed someone else had this same problem also, but he was never answered as to what was causing it.
Running the ineptkey script works just fine, it's the ineptpub script that is giving me problems....
I ran the ineptpub script in the command window to try and find out what was happening, and here is where it just stops:
AttributeError: function 'd2i_RSAPrivateKey' not found
So, I guess I need to know where this script is looking for this key????
I put the epub book file in the same folder as the script, yet - no joy.....
I have downloaded the script a few times - so It's just as it's posted on pastie......
Running windows XP Pro - current with Python26 and the PycCrypto 2.0.1
I had first tried Python 2.7 with PyCrypto 2.3 - but got the exact same results....
I am not software orientated - been in the hardware end all my live and never could get the hang of software.......
Hoping someone can steer me in the right direction......
Thanks.....

blak4dr
05-22-2011, 03:20 AM
DRM circumvention can't be discussed here. I suggest you try at Apprentice Alf's blog.

Is, I'm afraid, all the answer you will get here :):offtopic:

Toxaris
05-22-2011, 03:21 AM
When install and activate ADE, it creates a key. That key will be used to apply DRM to the book and is needed by the scripts. The ineptkey retrieves the key from ADE. If you don't have the key, you are out of luck.

Foxxy
05-22-2011, 07:35 PM
When install and activate ADE, it creates a key. That key will be used to apply DRM to the book and is needed by the scripts. The ineptkey retrieves the key from ADE. If you don't have the key, you are out of luck.

I am hoping you are responding to my question - if so - what does ADE mean??
I am really pretty illiterate with synonyms - so what is installed that activates this "ADE" and creates a key????

Thanks - at least the world didn't end yesterday... LOL

JSWolf
05-22-2011, 09:16 PM
ADE = Adobe Digital Editions

Foxxy
05-22-2011, 10:27 PM
Ok, thanks - so i have to have adobe installed also at the same time to get this to work.......

hmmmm - i had it installed when i was trying the 2.7 version and i still got the same thing.......

Ok, guess i'll have to install adobe again and try it...

Thanks a million!!!!

Toxaris
05-24-2011, 08:08 AM
If you didn't have ADE, then how did you get the book with DRM? When you downloaded the book from the store, it used the key. If you got the book with DRM in another way, you are out of luck.

coolfishx
08-27-2011, 12:03 PM
Hi,

I just compiled a freeware application that strips DRM (ADEPT) from ePub's, without requiring Python and command line operations.
The application runs only on Windows for now and it requires .Net 3.5 . Attached you will find the binaries and also an installation kit.

Best regards,
DM

The attachment with your tool has been removed.

MR allows discussion of DRM removal, but forbids posting of the tools to do so or direct links to the tools. Because MR is the largest and most influential site devoted to ebooks and the supporting technology, it is read by content producers and must be extra careful about such things. We don't need the aggravation of someone who applied DRM in the first place coming after us because we supplied a tool to remove it. In some places, doing so is illegal.

Thanks for your understanding in the future.
______
Dennis

Toxaris
08-27-2011, 12:12 PM
Please remove the download. It is not allowed here!

Freeshadow
08-27-2011, 11:34 PM
*sigh* I tought I just check for a laugh:

the required net 3.5 pack seems to be short under 200 MB
the gain is as the tools author said "no command line operations" - what a trade ! i somehow tought about the good old days and don't feel like laughing anymore...

back then people read manuals and used their keyboards - nowdays they just click, not understanding what they do - btw. clicking "I read the guidelines" counts too - it would be kind of funny if it wouldn't be so sad.

Toxaris
08-28-2011, 08:52 AM
Yep, and there are so many good command line tools for which there are no or hardly no good GUI's. Does not make them any less valuable...