View Full Version : Adobe ADEPT DRM for EPUB circumvented

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

joblack
02-06-2010, 02:54 AM
Leave it open after you've got the error code.
Copy the old key over. Retry - working.
In the next instance, your key will be overwriten again, you have to go back and forth again.
Meaning: Don't generate a new key, use the old one for now.

Can you be more specific.

I uninstalled my ADE, removed registry entry, installed the new one and compared the registry entries. So far I can't see a difference ... if somebody has the new version and could share what's different and where the error occures (with the key script or the main script)?

pietvo
02-06-2010, 07:09 AM
I trawled through my Time Machine backups for the period when I installed 0.7.1 on my Mac and I couldn't find it, it must have installed itself in some sort of odd fashion, rather than via a disk image. If someone knows where that is, my Time Machine backups will have it, I just don't know where to look! It is sufficient if you get the file ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Digital Editions/activation.dat from Time Machine. You don't have to install the 1.7.1 application. Be careful not to overwrite the one that belongs to 1.7.2: Make a copy first, move it to a safe place, or tell Time Machine to keep both. After running the key extractor you can put the saved file back.

stewball
02-06-2010, 09:53 AM
But if you have installed the update, and you are no longer able to decrypt epub's/pdf's, then all is not lost. Uninstall, delete the Adept registry folder. Reboot. Install the old version, reactivate, then run the ineptkey again.

I can't find the old version for MAC. I will keep looking around.

Stew

buckm56
02-06-2010, 11:00 AM
I have been using the procedure on my Macbook OS 10.5.8 for several weeks with success. I elected to NOT update to the newest Adobe Digital Editions when I've been asked so far. I have stripped the DMR from maybe 5 books successfully, however, one book keeps giving me an error. James Patterson's The Murder of King Tut...

error:filename in directory "OEBPS/MurderofKingTu_chap-"

there may be more message following but it is clipped off, any suggestions?

Thanks

andygates
02-06-2010, 11:06 AM
I say, with 1.7.1 re-installed (guess which muggins accepted the update?) that all works just perfectly! Top work, cabbages et al. :)

Which is just as well, 'cos I'd spent good money against my better judgement on a couple of titles and while they worked in ADE, ADE decided it couldn't see my reader. This is the user experience of DRM in general: It's some bullshit that breaks your stuff.

I noticed that ADE was giving a 45-day countdown to install the update. Is that a sign of the next move in the arms race?

pdurrant
02-06-2010, 11:07 AM
There have been reports that some ePub books have a corrupt zip structure, that causes some readers to be unable to read them. This can usually be fixed by unzipping them with an unzipper that ignores the errors, and then re-ziping (with an ePub-friendly zip routine).

As you're on a Mac, the built-in unzipper usually works (just change the file name to end in .zip), and My ePub-zipping Applescript will perform the reverse operation.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55681

I have been using the procedure on my Macbook OS 10.5.8 for several weeks with success. I elected to NOT update to the newest Adobe Digital Editions when I've been asked so far. I have stripped the DMR from maybe 5 books successfully, however, one book keeps giving me an error. James Patterson's The Murder of King Tut...

error:filename in directory "OEBPS/MurderofKingTu_chap-"

there may be more message following but it is clipped off, any suggestions?

daffy4u
02-06-2010, 11:27 AM
I can also report that the old 1.7.1 generated key (I keep a copy in my dropbox folder) works with 1.7.2 on Win7 Pro. :)

stewball
02-06-2010, 12:05 PM
I say, with 1.7.1 re-installed (guess which muggins accepted the update?) that all works just perfectly! Top work, cabbages et al. :)

Which is just as well, 'cos I'd spent good money against my better judgement on a couple of titles and while they worked in ADE, ADE decided it couldn't see my reader. This is the user experience of DRM in general: It's some bullshit that breaks your stuff.

I noticed that ADE was giving a 45-day countdown to install the update. Is that a sign of the next move in the arms race?

For most people, as long as you can run ineptepub on 1.7.1 with no problems, the update will not affect it. But some have had problems and have had to go back to the old version. When trying to get the key in 1.7.2 the script doesn't find the proper key for decryption.

buckm56
02-06-2010, 12:21 PM
That did the job. I thought it was a lost cause.

Thanks a bunch.

JSWolf
02-06-2010, 05:53 PM
I can also report that the old 1.7.1 generated key (I keep a copy in my dropbox folder) works with 1.7.2 on Win7 Pro. :)

From the reports I have been getting, it seems that some people have deleted adeptkey.der thinking they need to generate a new one and (as we know) that no longer works.

Skydog
02-06-2010, 07:16 PM
O.k., I'm not updating ADE yet, just watching the 45-day countdown. When the time is up, will ADE automatically update? Then, if I uninstall and re-install 1.71 and activate won't I receive the 45-day warning again?

Can anyone explain the steps to me? Just trying to plan ahead and avoid unnecessary trauma. ;)

wallcraft
02-06-2010, 07:30 PM
Can anyone explain the steps to me? If you already have an adeptkey.der it should be ok to update, because you don't need to run ineptkey.pyw again (and this is the step that is failing).

Skydog
02-06-2010, 08:25 PM
Thanks, wallcraft. Still curious though about those who have reinstalled v1.7.1, activation and its useful life.

Also, I read at least one post that mentioned the necessity of having to copy the (working) file over after each use. Is this the case, or will one time fix the problem?

Thanks again.

dmapr
02-07-2010, 03:37 AM
Thanks, wallcraft. Still curious though about those who have reinstalled v1.7.1, activation and its useful life.

Also, I read at least one post that mentioned the necessity of having to copy the (working) file over after each use. Is this the case, or will one time fix the problem?

Thanks again.

I didn't have to do anything different after installing 1.7.2. My old key works and I haven't had to restore it — it remains unchanged.

stewball
02-07-2010, 09:29 AM

Thanks again.

As long as you don't recreate your adeptkey.der after updating, it should still work with the old. key.

On another note, my ADE update message keeps resetting itself back to 44 days everyday on the one computer I haven't updated yet. It got as low as 43 one day, but was back up to 44 the next day. I think I will leave it and see if it ever expires.:)

joblack
02-07-2010, 06:47 PM
As long as you don't recreate your adeptkey.der after updating, it should still work with the old. key.

On another note, my ADE update message keeps resetting itself back to 44 days everyday on the one computer I haven't updated yet. It got as low as 43 one day, but was back up to 44 the next day. I think I will leave it and see if it ever expires.:)

That's a quick fix but not a permanent solution.

Sydney's Mom
02-07-2010, 06:59 PM
I didn't have to do anything different after installing 1.7.2. My old key works and I haven't had to restore it it remains unchanged.

Same here. I am running Windows 7.

joblack
02-07-2010, 08:12 PM
Same here. I am running Windows 7.

It will most probably doesn't change the key if you just update to a newer version ...

Skydog
02-07-2010, 08:44 PM
Interesting. I'm not going to do anything and let the countdown timer continue. Old key safely stored. ;)

edbro
02-08-2010, 04:05 PM
For some reason, all of a sudden my python scripts no longer work. When I double-click on ineptepub.pyw nothing happens. I've uninstalled/reinstalled python, I've redownloaded the script, rebooted the computer, I've disabled my antivirus, etc. I'm at a loss here. Can anybody offer any suggestions?

I tried to run ineptkey.pyw and that doesn't work either. Both of these were running fine up until last night. I did a system restore to a few days ago and that didn't help either. What would cause these to no longer run?

AFK_Matrix
02-08-2010, 04:11 PM
I am no expert edbro, but have you checked that you have the python entry in the PATH command in the environment variables?

edbro
02-08-2010, 04:14 PM
I am no expert edbro, but have you checked that you have the python entry in the PATH command in the environment variables?

No, but I will as soon as I get home from work. Thanks.

stewball
02-08-2010, 05:05 PM
No, but I will as soon as I get home from work. Thanks.

Did you happen to update Adobe Digital Editions to 1.7.2? And are you receiving an error when you run Ineptepub, and if so what is it?

Stew

edbro
02-08-2010, 06:12 PM
Yes, ADE is at 1.7.2. But, I can't see how that would prevent the script from running. I don't get the gui window at all. I did check the path statement and it did not have Python in it. I added it but I don't think that's the problem either because all my scripts are in the Python directory.

pietvo
02-08-2010, 06:54 PM
I suspect something to be broken in your python. Can you run the script from the command line?

edbro
02-08-2010, 07:10 PM
Well, I got it fixed. Still not sure what the problem was. I uninstalled it from my C: drive and put it on my D: drive. Sometimes Windows 7 gives me problems writing to the system partition. Thanks to all who offered suggestions.

retro
02-08-2010, 08:31 PM
Well, if anyone screwed up (like me :o) and created a new key after the ADE upgrade, there are several comments on the cabbages blog on how to fix it.
There is a link to download the old version, to uninstall the new one and go back to the old. Reauthorized your PC and create a new key. I've just been putting up with the 'upgrade in 44 days' box, but I can deDRM again.

Whew! I have a backup or 10 now!:smack:

Terisa de morgan
02-09-2010, 03:03 AM
One question. Do you see the icon associated to file type? Yesterday I had the same problem and I had to say again the program for opening that kind of files.

joblack
02-09-2010, 06:38 AM
Whew! I have a backup or 10 now!:smack:

No need to worry - the problem will solve itself. Adobe couldn't have done major changes. It's probably only some added xor schema in the private key ...

silverraven
02-09-2010, 12:56 PM
Well, if anyone screwed up (like me ) and created a new key after the ADE upgrade, there are several comments on the cabbages blog on how to fix it.
Linky to blog please?
S

daffy4u
02-09-2010, 01:18 PM
Linky to blog please?
S

Just go to the first post in this thread. :)

Laurentiu
02-09-2010, 02:28 PM
Hi there,

For some strange reason, my DRM removal stopped working. It was just fine but a few days ago, I tried to remove the DRM from an epub and I got an error message saying "error decrypting book session key". I tried everything, I even uninstalled ADE and reinstalled the old version, I re-generated the keys... no luck!
Any idea on how can I fix this?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

silverraven
02-09-2010, 03:09 PM
Sorry, wasn't sure if there was an updated blog.
Thanks.
S

retro
02-09-2010, 04:18 PM
Sorry, wasn't sure if there was an updated blog.
Thanks.
S

The blog itself hasn't been updated, just users adding comments. Some of the last ones reference a link (ebook-converter.com) that has the whole package, with v5 for pdfs, and an even older version of ADE.

joblack
02-09-2010, 07:21 PM
The blog itself hasn't been updated, just users adding comments. Some of the last ones reference a link (ebook-converter.com) that has the whole package, with v5 for pdfs, and an even older version of ADE.

What the hell happened with ebook-converter. Did they use the script and just included it in their executable? Didn't they break the GPL with that?

retro
02-09-2010, 07:39 PM
What the hell happened with ebook-converter. Did they use the script and just included it in their executable? Didn't they break the GPL with that?

oops, wrong reference. :p This is the link to the forum that has more info. (that's what I get for surfing at work!)

http://rapid.org/board/showthread.php?p=1403763

JSWolf
02-09-2010, 07:47 PM
Hi there,

For some strange reason, my DRM removal stopped working. It was just fine but a few days ago, I tried to remove the DRM from an epub and I got an error message saying "error decrypting book session key". I tried everything, I even uninstalled ADE and reinstalled the old version, I re-generated the keys... no luck!
Any idea on how can I fix this?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

When you updated your ADE, did you delete adeptkey.der or generate a new one on top of it? If you did either of those things and don't have a copy of adeptkey.der from 1.7.1, then you've kind of screwed things up where they did not need to be screwed up. Go to Cabbages blog and you'll find a post how to fix things when you reinstall 1.7.1.

Laurentiu
02-09-2010, 07:53 PM
When you updated your ADE, did you delete adeptkey.der or generate a new one on top of it? If you did either of those things and don't have a copy of adeptkey.der from 1.7.1, then you've kind of screwed things up where they did not need to be screwed up. Go to Cabbages blog and you'll find a post how to fix things when you reinstall 1.7.1.
I think I generated another key, accidentally. I found the blog, applied the solution and now everything works fine!

Thanks!

JSWolf
02-09-2010, 07:54 PM
oops, wrong reference. :p This is the link to the forum that has more info. (that's what I get for surfing at work!)

http://rapid.org/board/showthread.php?p=1403763

I'm not registering, but the person who posted about ACSM files is WAY off-base. It's because they've destroyed the key file why things no longer work. I bet they generated a new one over the old one without a backup.

JSWolf
02-09-2010, 07:56 PM
BACKUP adeptkey.der from 1.7.1. You do NOT need to generate a new one with 1.7.2.

dmapr
02-09-2010, 08:11 PM
I'm not registering, but the person who posted about ACSM files is WAY off-base. It's because they've destroyed the key file why things no longer work. I bet they generated a new one over the old one without a backup.

I completely agree with the first part of your post about that person being way off base. The second part is more interesting — I have a feeling they're actually trying to decrypt the ACSM file...

joblack
02-09-2010, 08:31 PM
I completely agree with the first part of your post about that person being way off base. The second part is more interesting — I have a feeling they're actually trying to decrypt the ACSM file...

Hehe - I don't think Adobe has changed the decryption scheme that much. It's just an obfuscation of the original key (the 'old key' still works if you haven't reauthorized your ADE). IMHO they are just doing some additional masking of the key like x-oring it before ... and the Ainept isn't updated so it's strange that it is working and the new one isn't ...

And of course the e-book only shows garbage if you use the wrong key ;) ...

EowynCarter
02-10-2010, 11:32 AM
** makes a mental note to say "screw you" to ade when it wants to update. **

Laurentiu
02-10-2010, 11:39 AM
** makes a mental note to say "screw you" to ade when it wants to update. **
Okay, and how do you get around that? Because you cannot ignore it forever, at some point it won't let you use ADE until you upgrade!

JSWolf
02-10-2010, 01:36 PM
Okay, and how do you get around that? Because you cannot ignore it forever, at some point it won't let you use ADE until you upgrade!

On the desktop, it's saying 43 days left. I may just upgrade and be done since I already have the key file.

stewball
02-10-2010, 03:59 PM

I have been getting the 44 day warning for about a week and a half. Once it got to 43, but was back at 44 the next day.

But as long as you update, but don't rerun ineptkey, you should be fine. Most people are having good results with upgrading. I only have one more computer to go, and I have already updated my Vista and Windows 7 computers.

EowynCarter
02-11-2010, 05:37 AM
Why are they forcing the update anyway ?
(Anyway, if i can't de-drm book anymore, no more buying books. Period.)

pdurrant
02-11-2010, 06:11 AM
Why are they forcing the update anyway ?
(Anyway, if i can't de-drm book anymore, no more buying books. Period.)

I suspect it's because they want to turn off some servers. But it might be that they want to plug a DRM hole, however ineptly.

andygates
02-11-2010, 11:37 AM
That's what the update said - ending support for Content Server 3, plus some bug fixes. Here's the release notes (PDF) (http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/pdfs/digital_editions_release_notes.pdf).

ATimson
02-11-2010, 11:46 AM
Except the ending of support for Content Server 3 was also in the 1.7.1 release notes. :p

Sydney's Mom
02-11-2010, 02:46 PM
I upgraded before I saw this thread. Luckily, I have had no problems. I'm running Windows 7.

Terisa de morgan
02-11-2010, 03:19 PM
I upgraded before I saw this thread. Luckily, I have had no problems. I'm running Windows 7.

Same for me.

zwarbles
02-12-2010, 12:21 PM
Does it matter if you update from ADE or go directly to the website to do it?

ATimson
02-12-2010, 12:57 PM
Does it matter if you update from ADE or go directly to the website to do it?
ADE just sends you to the website anyways.

joblack
02-12-2010, 01:10 PM
One important question: If you upgrade from 1.7.1 to 1.7.2 does ADE change the hardware key in the registry? Can you decrypt new bought e-books (with 1.7.2) with your old key?

pietvo
02-12-2010, 01:32 PM
Yes, you can use your old key.

joblack
02-13-2010, 11:10 AM
#
# ineptkey.pyw, version 4

# To run this program install Python 2.6 from http://www.python.org/download/
#
# and PyCrypto from http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/modules.shtml#pycrypto
#
# (make sure to install the version for Python 2.6). Save this script file as
# ineptkey.pyw and double-click on it to run it. It will create a file named
# adeptkey.der in the same directory. This is your ADEPT user key.
#

#
# Revision history:
#
# 1 - Initial release, for Adobe Digital Editions 1.7
# 2 - Better algorithm for finding pLK; improved error handling
# 3 - Rename to INEPT
# 4 - quick beta fix for ADE 1.7.2 - for older versions use ineptkey v3
# or upgrade to ADE 1.7.2 (anon)

thinkpad
02-13-2010, 11:12 AM
What happens if you reformat your computer and install Digital Editions. Could you still use your "old key" or will the key have changed?

pietvo
02-13-2010, 12:14 PM
If you do that, you will still be able to read your old ebooks. Therefore the old key should still work to decrypt. It is related to your Adobe ID, not to any particular device. You can also just copy your ebooks from one device to another. You can do that without ADE, just by dragging or using your OS's copy command. There is no conversion involved and therefore it must be the same key.

It is just that with the new version of ADE the storage of the key on your computer has changed. They took the old key and applied some kind of encryption to it before they stored it.

joblack
02-13-2010, 12:24 PM
If you do that, you will still be able to read your old ebooks. Therefore the old key should still work to decrypt. It is related to your Adobe ID, not to any particular device. You can also just copy your ebooks from one device to another. You can do that without ADE, just by dragging or using your OS's copy command. There is no conversion involved and therefore it must be the same key.

It is just that with the new version of ADE the storage of the key on your computer has changed. They took the old key and applied some kind of encryption to it before they stored it.

If you have already saved your key in a file it doesn't matter on which computer you're working. If you reinstall, install ADE and copy the keys back to the registry it only works if you have the same windows username.

By the way, you might try ineptkey_v4 with 1.7.2 ...

stewball
02-13-2010, 12:27 PM
If you have already saved your key in a file it doesn't matter on which computer you're working. If you reinstall, install ADE and copy the keys back to the registry it only works if you have the same windows username.

By the way, you might try ineptkey_v4 with 1.7.2 ...

Cabbages only has v3 on his blog. Where did you get v4, and how can I get it?

Thanks,
Stew

joblack
02-13-2010, 12:33 PM
Cabbages only has v3 on his blog. Where did you get v4, and how can I get it?

It's not from ILC and 'the usual places' ;=) ...

chainring
02-13-2010, 12:37 PM
#

#
#
#

#
# Revision history:
#
# 3 - Rename to INEPT
# 4 - quick beta fix for ADE 1.7.2 - for older versions use ineptkey v3
# or upgrade to ADE 1.7.2 (anon)
Where is v4 hosted?

edit: posted too late, it's already been asked.

joblack
02-13-2010, 02:56 PM
Where is v4 hosted?

edit: posted too late, it's already been asked.

Ok v4 s adjusted and it should work for 1.7.1 and 1.7.2

(for the retro guys who still want the old ADE feeling :2thumbsup) ...

pietvo
02-13-2010, 06:57 PM
I googled for "quick beta fix"

JSWolf
02-13-2010, 10:37 PM
Ok v4 s adjusted and it should work for 1.7.1 and 1.7.2

(for the retro guys who still want the old ADE feeling :2thumbsup) ...

It doesn't work with Windows 7 and 1.7.2 upgraded from 1.7.1. So there is no need to bother to find it.

pietvo
02-14-2010, 03:17 AM
I dom't have Windows so I couldn't check, but I looked into the code and the file that I found can't work. It is incomplete. Maybe there is a version somewhere else that is more complete.

joblack
02-14-2010, 06:11 AM
It doesn't work with Windows 7 and 1.7.2 upgraded from 1.7.1. So there is no need to bother to find it.

It depends on how much registry entries you have in your registry.

joblack
02-14-2010, 06:46 AM
The script differentiate with the

FileVersion

registry entry in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Adobe\\Digital Editions\\ if 1.7.1 or 1.7.2 is running.

Which FileVersion registry entry was the very first 1.7.2 (it can be also checked with File Properties on DigitalEditions.exe and details (file version)).

JSWolf
02-14-2010, 08:56 AM
#! /usr/bin/python

# Revision history:
# 3 - Rename to INEPT
# 4 - quick beta fix for ADE 1.7.2 (anon)

I did say this doesn't work on my system. Well, I made a simple code change and now it works. I cannot say it works on all systems. But it does work on mine which is Windows 7 with ADE 1.7.2 upgraded from 1.7.1.

joblack
02-14-2010, 09:38 AM
#! /usr/bin/python

# Revision history:
# 3 - Rename to INEPT
# 4 - quick beta fix for ADE 1.7.2 (anon)

I did say this doesn't work on my system. Well, I made a simple code change and now it works. I cannot say it works on all systems. But it does work on mine which is Windows 7 with ADE 1.7.2 upgraded from 1.7.1.

ADE has three different private keys in the registry. One of it is working - the problem is that they aren't always on the same place - they seem to be placed by the 'shotgun principle'. Perhaps it's some kind of obfuscation.

JSWolf
02-14-2010, 11:01 AM
ADE has three different private keys in the registry. One of it is working - the problem is that they aren't always on the same place - they seem to be placed by the 'shotgun principle'. Perhaps it's some kind of obfuscation.

What I am thinking is that it is the key for the reg entry that has @="licenseCertificate" as the line in front of the value is the entry you want for the key. If I am correct, That should make it easy to pull out the proper key. However, if I am incorrect, all you'd need do is try the other values based on the different @ lines and then you'll know which is which.

joblack
02-14-2010, 11:28 AM
What I am thinking is that it is the key for the reg entry that has @="licenseCertificate" as the line in front of the value is the entry you want for the key. If I am correct, That should make it easy to pull out the proper key. However, if I am incorrect, all you'd need do is try the other values based on the different @ lines and then you'll know which is which.
The licenseCertificate is not the key and it is in all three registry entries included. The problem is you can't try the key without the book. One solution would be to export all keys and try it in the ineptpdf/epub scripts but then you have to change these scripts too. I thought the key is always the last one but your example showed that it isn't the case.

pietvo
02-14-2010, 11:41 AM
I also found a solution for Mac OS X but I don't have the newest Applescript in an editable format. However, I could make a python script to do it. Distributing this might be a problem however, due to the Sklyarov syndrome.

EowynCarter
02-14-2010, 12:03 PM
The licenseCertificate is not the key and it is in all three registry entries included. The problem is you can't try the key without the book. One solution would be to export all keys and try it in the ineptpdf/epub scripts but then you have to change these scripts too. I thought the key is always the last one but your example showed that it isn't the case.

In my case, it was the seocnd. i basiclly did trial and error.

JSWolf
02-14-2010, 12:07 PM
Deleted

bookwyrm
02-14-2010, 12:22 PM
Hello everyone, I got a kindle about 2 years ago but am only now exploring the possibilities of trying to read electronic library books on my kindle since reading them on my MAC laptop is proving painful and cumbersome.
I've read most of the information on this site regarding removing drm from the library books to read on my kindle but am coming up with what I hope is a fixable error.
I have python 2.6 loaded, believe pycrypto is also loaded (not sure since there was not an install feature but when I click on the ineptpub v2 instead of a box opening up as stated in the instructions instead I get a line of script.
Has anyone run into this issue before? How do I resolve? Thanks

Example below

# ineptepub.pyw and double-click on it to run it.

# Revision history:
# 1 - Initial release
# 2 - Rename to INEPT, fix exit code

"""
Decrypt Adobe ADEPT-encrypted EPUB books.
"""

from __future__ import with_statement

__license__ = 'GPL v3'

import sys
import os
import zlib
import zipfile
from zipfile import ZipFile, ZIP_STORED, ZIP_DEFLATED
from contextlib import closing
import xml.etree.ElementTree as etree
import Tkinter
import Tkconstants
import tkFileDialog
import tkMessageBox

try:
from Crypto.Cipher import AES
from Crypto.PublicKey import RSA
except ImportError:
AES = None
RSA = None

pietvo
02-14-2010, 12:56 PM
Select the file in Finder and do CMD-i. This should indicate with what program the file will be opened. It should be Pythonlauncher. For some reason with me Pythonlauncher will also open a Terminal window which is innocent.

JSWolf
02-14-2010, 01:02 PM
I do think we are getting close to a real solution for 1.7.2.

joblack
02-14-2010, 02:22 PM
I do think we are getting close to a real solution for 1.7.2.

#
#! /usr/bin/python
#
# ineptkey.pyw, version 4.1
#
#
#
#
# Revision history:
#
# 3 - Rename to INEPT
# 4.1 - quick beta fix for ADE 1.7.2 (doesn't work with ADE 1.7.1) (anon)

Works definitely not with ADE 1.7.1 or smaller but should do the trick.

JSWolf
02-14-2010, 02:40 PM
#
#! /usr/bin/python
#
# ineptkey.pyw, version 4.1
#
#
#
#
# Revision history:
#
# 3 - Rename to INEPT
# 4.1 - quick beta fix for ADE 1.7.2 (doesn't work with ADE 1.7.1) (anon)

Works definitely not with ADE 1.7.1 or smaller but should do the trick.

It worked on the desktop, but not on the laptop. Neither had any errors. Just on the laptop it did not generate a valid key file.

joblack
02-14-2010, 03:12 PM
It worked on the desktop, but not on the laptop. Neither had any errors. Just on the laptop it did not generate a valid key file.

Have you upgraded from 1.7.1 to 1.7.2 on your laptop or have you reinstalled it.

bookwyrm
02-14-2010, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the earlier assistance I was able to use cmd-i to change IDLE to Python launcher as the application launcher. Unfortunately still having issues, it is now indicating that Pycrypto needs to be installed. I downloaded Pycrypto now multiple times and have clicked on each folder within the application. Is there a specific folder I need to re-install or do something special with to ensure the installation took on a MAC? Apologies for needing the dummies guide to this.

JSWolf
02-14-2010, 03:58 PM
Have you upgraded from 1.7.1 to 1.7.2 on your laptop or have you reinstalled it.

I've upgraded ADE to 1.7.2 on the laptop.

pthwaite
02-14-2010, 04:02 PM
bookwyrm,
Have you got the developer tools installed on your MAC? It will all go belly up unless they are installed.

Sydney's Mom
02-14-2010, 04:04 PM
One important question: If you upgrade from 1.7.1 to 1.7.2 does ADE change the hardware key in the registry? Can you decrypt new bought e-books (with 1.7.2) with your old key?

Yes. If you mean the decryption key, I didn't even think of getting the new one. Adeptepub pulled up the same adept.der. I didn't even have to tell it where it was. If you mean some other key, I did allow ADE to make registry changes, but don't know exactly what they were.

pietvo
02-14-2010, 04:15 PM
For some reason with me Pythonlauncher will also open a Terminal window which is innocent.
This appears to be a Preference item of Pythonlauncher.

joblack
02-14-2010, 06:03 PM
#! /usr/bin/python
#

# ineptkey.pyw, version 4.2

# Revision history:
#
# 3 - Rename to INEPT
# 4.1 - quick beta fix for ADE 1.7.2 (anon)
# 4.2 - multiple key support, new adeptkey4.der format,
# added old 1.7.1 processing (anon)

#
#! /usr/bin/python
#
-------------
#
# ineptepub.pyw, version 4
#
# Revision history:
#
# 1 - Initial release
# 2 - Rename to INEPT, fix exit code
# 3 - Add cmd or gui choosing
# 4 - changed adeptkey4.der format for 1.7.2 support

---
Educated guess - should work for old and new ADEs. Enough for today ... :tired:

ChristopherTD
02-15-2010, 02:06 AM
Just another confirmation (if any was needed) that upgrading to ADE 1.7.2 on the Mac is harmless - if you have previously obtained your key. (Keep it safe)

JSWolf
02-15-2010, 08:38 AM
I just want to say thank you to joblack for the work on the epub tools.

Ineptkey.pyw version 4.2 and ineptepub.pyw version 4 do work on two different Windows 7 systems both running ADE 1.7.2.

silverraven
02-15-2010, 09:10 AM
I'd like to second the thank you! I don't know what I would do without this. My mom is well into her 80's and just can't figure out the whole 'get books onto the reader' thing. With this I am able to just load them onto an SD card, mail it to her, and she can just put the SD card right into her reader. Easy Peasy. And saves my sanity trying to explain how to do things over the phone. Anyone who has ever done tech support for an elderly person that thinks cut and paste is hard will understand that drm is evil!
Thank you from me, thank you from her!
S

pietvo
02-15-2010, 09:28 AM
Actually, if you would authorize your mother's ereader to your Adobe ID, you could do the same with DRM'ed epubs.

joblack
02-15-2010, 10:04 AM
Actually, if you would authorize your mother's ereader to your Adobe ID, you could do the same with DRM'ed epubs.

You want to torture the old grandmother with Adobe ADEPT ... :D

pietvo
02-15-2010, 10:54 AM
No, I said he could do the authorizing (once). After that sending the DRM'ed ebooks on the SD card would be sufficient.

silverraven
02-15-2010, 11:03 AM
Didn't know I could do that. I know that trying to get her to download a library book is impossible. She's on dial up, and had been online maybe 25 times in her life. It scares her to do things on the computer. I guess for someone that through her lifetime has seen the Great Depression, WWII (my dad fought in the war), the development of cars, TV, computers, cell phones, etc. Imagine how things will change by the time we are that age. She tells me all the time "Just wait till you're my age. I want to be a fly on the wall and see how you do."
Who knows, maybe by that time drm will be a thing of the past!!
S

silverraven
02-15-2010, 11:09 AM
No, I said he could do the authorizing (once). After that sending the DRM'ed ebooks on the SD card would be sufficient.
Sorry to double post, but would library books still expire? I would only mail her the card once a month or so.
S
PS I'm a girl! And not the most computer literate!

joblack
02-15-2010, 01:01 PM
Sorry to double post, but would library books still expire? I would only mail her the card once a month or so.
S
PS I'm a girl! And not the most computer literate!
Hehe - you shouldn't have said that ;).

Anyway, if you had freed your epubs they are of course no longer bound on the lending period.

JSWolf
02-15-2010, 04:01 PM

That's not a solution to the problem of the poorly formatted ePub. I strip the DRM for my mom, fix the formatting and then she can have the ePub to read on her 600.

silverraven
02-15-2010, 04:24 PM
Maybe they ought to offer 'Senior Books' for anyone over the age of 65. No drm and formatted for what ever reader you choose!
S

JSWolf
02-15-2010, 05:35 PM
Maybe they ought to offer 'Senior Books' for anyone over the age of 65. No drm and formatted for what ever reader you choose!
S

It's not that.. ePub works on my mom's 600. It's just that I find a lot of eBooks are formatted by monkeys.

Spectrum
02-15-2010, 06:41 PM
Thanks joblack! Good job. I will try it on a epub and windows 7 pro and report back!

Cheers!

joblack
02-15-2010, 08:32 PM
Thanks joblack! Good job. I will try it on a epub and windows 7 pro and report back!

Cheers!

No problem - by the way I wouldn't mind getting some karma push :2thumbsup

retro
02-15-2010, 08:45 PM
Thanks for all your effort!! :thumbsup:
You can have all the karma I've got!

dmapr
02-15-2010, 08:51 PM
Thanks for all your effort!! :thumbsup:
You can have all the karma I've got!

Mine too (measly amount, I'm afraid) :)

chainring
02-15-2010, 09:12 PM
Karma sent your way!

AlexBell
02-16-2010, 04:18 AM
It's not that.. ePub works on my mom's 600. It's just that I find a lot of eBooks are formatted by monkeys.

And the publishers just don't care. I've just finished Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett, and the cover spells his name as Teryy. I don't think they'd let that kind of mistake happen in a print book version.

Regards, Alex

JSWolf
02-16-2010, 08:36 AM
And the publishers just don't care. I've just finished Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett, and the cover spells his name as Teryy. I don't think they'd let that kind of mistake happen in a print book version.

Regards, Alex

I just had a book I had to sort out big time because the CSS was a mess. The CSS was full of spaces and tabs that caused the book to lose the formatting. Then after that could I fix it so it didn't liike like an eReader formatted eBook.

joblack
02-16-2010, 11:42 AM
aineptepub.pyw, version 4 released ...

dmapr
02-16-2010, 02:08 PM
aineptepub.pyw, version 4 released ...

Is it different from the v4 that was available yesterday?

pietvo
02-16-2010, 02:12 PM
# ineptkeymac.py, version 1

# This program runs on Mac OS X, version 10.6.2 and probably several other
# versions. It uses Python 2.6, but it probably also runs on all versions
# 2.x with x >= 5.

# This program extracts the private RSA key for your ADE account in a
# standard binary form (DER format) in a file of your choosing. Its purpose
# is to make a backup of that key so that your legally bought ADE encoded
# ebooks can be salvaged in case they would no longer be supported by ADE
# software. No other usages are intended.

# It has been tested with the key storage structure of ADE 1.7.1 and 1.7.2
# and Sony Reader Library.

f1182324a

joblack
02-16-2010, 02:14 PM
Is it different from the v4 that was available yesterday?

this is the a(utomated)inept which decrypts whole directories ..

joblack
02-16-2010, 02:25 PM
# ineptkeymac.py, version 1

# This program runs on Mac OS X, version 10.6.2 and probably several other
# versions. It uses Python 2.6, but it probably also runs on all versions
# 2.x with x >= 5.

# This program extracts the private RSA key for your ADE account in a
# standard binary form (DER format) in a file of your choosing. Its purpose
# is to make a backup of that key so that your legally bought ADE encoded
# ebooks can be salvaged in case they would no longer be supported by ADE
# software. No other usages are intended.

# It has been tested with the key storage structure of ADE 1.7.1 and 1.7.2
# and Sony Reader Library.

f1182324a

Nice, if you add

import pickle

and substitute

with closing(open(keypath, 'wb')) as outf:
outf.write(key)

with

with closing(open(keypath, 'w')) as outf:
keylist = []
keylist.append(key)
pickle.dump(keylist,outf)

and

change

initialfile = 'adeptkey.der',
to
initialfile = 'adeptkey4.der',

it should work with the new scripts ...

pietvo
02-16-2010, 02:49 PM
But why have you changed the file format? The keys themselves have not changed, only the way are were represented in the computer. And then, in fact not even that on the Mac.

joblack
02-16-2010, 02:54 PM
But why have you changed the file format? The keys themselves have not changed, only the way are were represented in the computer. And then, in fact not even that on the Mac.

We changed the format because on a Win machine you got several keys in the registry (up to 4) and we haven't found any deterministic method to always get the right one. So we export all of them and try them until we get the right one.

Anyway, for compatibility issues it would be nice (for Mac users) but if they want to use the old scripts they of course have the freedom to do so :) ...

pietvo
02-16-2010, 05:23 PM
We changed the format because on a Win machine you got several keys in the registry (up to 4) and we haven't found any deterministic method to always get the right one. So we export all of them and try them until we get the right one.
Well, I think they (Adobe) have a deterministic method :)

joblack
02-16-2010, 07:42 PM
Well, I think they (Adobe) have a deterministic method :)

Yeah you may be right - nasty trick.

JimmyB
02-16-2010, 10:08 PM
Just purchased an epub today (released yesterday) and am having difficulty running inept on it. It looks like the epub may have an error in it. It doesn't appear to affect the book itself (all the content appears to be there) but it is affecting the ouput of the 'fixed' epub.

INEPT complains as follows (emphasis is mine):

Error: File name in directory "OPS/xhtml/chapter52.htmr" and header "OPS/xhtml/chapter52.html" differ.

The resulting file is not correct, it cannot be opened in sigil or stanza and is about 300KB smaller.

Any ideas on fixing this issue or is there a way to at least dump the epub to a folder and then hopefully fix the issue on the unencrypted source?

pdurrant
02-17-2010, 05:25 AM
INEPT complains as follows (emphasis is mine):

Error: File name in directory "OPS/xhtml/chapter52.htmr" and header "OPS/xhtml/chapter52.html" differ.

Unzip the encrypted ebook. See if you can find the error (in a filename by the sounds of it, so should be fixable). Fix the error. Re-zip. And then run inept on it.

But I think I'd check whether the book worked properly in ADE first, and get a refund if it didn't.

JimmyB
02-17-2010, 07:52 AM
Unzip the encrypted ebook. See if you can find the error (in a filename by the sounds of it, so should be fixable). Fix the error. Re-zip. And then run inept on it.

But I think I'd check whether the book worked properly in ADE first, and get a refund if it didn't.

Thanks for your response. To answer your last comment first, the purchased book appears fine in Sony Library (haven't tried ADE) and is all in-tact, including chapter 52.

So I unzipped the original epub, and renamed "OPS/xhtml/chapter52.html" to "OPS/xhtml/chapter52.htmr" and ran inept again.

This got inept to state "decryption complete". The book can load in Sony Library but chapter52 is missing.

I then unzipped the resulting new epub and noted that "OPS/xhtml/chapter52.htmr" had been renamed to "OPS/xhtml/chapter52.htmr.html" (presumably by inept script) and was still encrypted, while all other chapters have been decrypted.

Any ideas? I can't for the life of me find any reference to "OPS/xhtml/chapter52.htmr" in any file (other than the html file I changed the name of)

pdurrant
02-17-2010, 12:26 PM
Any ideas? I can't for the life of me find any reference to "OPS/xhtml/chapter52.htmr" in any file (other than the html file I changed the name of)

I'm mystified. I'd look in other files in the encrypted epub for any reference to this file that might be mis-spelled. (I think that even in encrypted ePubs, some of the .xml files will be unencrypted.)

JSWolf
02-17-2010, 04:57 PM
Look in the OPF file and see if it's in there and what the name is. It's got to be in there if it is going to be used. Another idea is to leave the file in the ePub as is and add in the renamed copy and see what happens.

pastie

KevinH
02-17-2010, 05:17 PM
Hi,

You ran into the bad zip format where the internal name for a file and the central directory name for a file differed.

You should **NOT** have renamed

OPS/xhtml/chapter52.html

to

OPS/xhtml/chapter52.htmr

The first name was correct, it just did not match the name used in either the central directory of the zip archive or the local name in the zip archive. To fix this you simply have to put the right name on the file and properly rezip things (this time without the mistake between the two names for a file inside the zip archive).

So start with the original copy of the book, unzip it using an unzip tool.

If the file is called OPS/xhtml/chapter52.html then the right name was chosen for the file and all is well. Do not rename it.

Simply (and correctly - neither the mimetype nor the info on encryption should be compressed) rezip the archive and now if the zip software you have is correct, you should have the central name is the zip archive match the local name in the zip archive and both should be chapter52.html.

This happens on of the time under Mac OSX so if I double-click the zip archive it will unpack things to the correct name. Then I think someone (Paul?) has a re-zipping tools that will properly recreate the book zip archive.

Hope this helps,

KevinH

JimmyB
02-17-2010, 05:49 PM
Guys, thanks for the replies and PMs - you rock.

KevinH - you nailed it. I did what you said and it worked.

I feel stupid because I'm well aware of the zip file issue and have the applescript that some nice chap made (ePub Zip 1.0.2) sitting on my desktop. The reason it didn't occur to me is because the zip file error had never been presented to me in this way - usually inept just prints some garbage but not an actual error message, so I was convinced this time that something was wrong in the metadata or source.

Anyways, thanks again!

joblack
02-17-2010, 06:22 PM
With some outside ideas (thanks for the input, guys) the new

# ineptkey.pyw, version 4.3

supports adeptkey.der (old format) again. That means you only need the new ineptkey and you can still use your good old scripts (even with 1.7.2) ^^ ...

k1r0
02-21-2010, 12:13 PM
With some outside ideas (thanks for the input, guys) the new

# ineptkey.pyw, version 4.3

supports adeptkey.der (old format) again. That means you only need the new ineptkey and you can still use your good old scripts (even with 1.7.2) ^^ ...

This works fine with ADE 1.7.2. :2thumbsup

sapient
02-26-2010, 05:52 AM
Although I had used the ineptkey tool successfully in the past, I am having trouble with it in my latest windows installation (win7 x64). I am getting the error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "J:\ineptkey_v3.pyw", line 198, in main
retrieve_key(keypath)
File "J:\ineptkey_v3.pyw", line 140, in retrieve_key
vendor = cpuid0()
File "J:\ineptkey_v3.pyw", line 103, in cpuid0
cpuid0__(buffer)
WindowsError: exception: access violation writing 0x0000000002290890

Please help

pdurrant
02-26-2010, 06:06 AM
That bit of code hasn't changed for a while. But I don't recognise the line numbers given as being correct for v4.3. Check that you really have 4.3, or just re-download.

sapient
02-26-2010, 06:25 AM
Sorry, I have mixed up the versions... That was the error with version 3. I get pretty much the same with version 4.3:

File "J:\ineptkey_v4.3.pyw", line 230, in main
retrieve_key(keypath)
File "J:\ineptkey_v4.3.pyw", line 149, in retrieve_key
vendor = cpuid0()
File "J:\ineptkey_v4.3.pyw", line 112, in cpuid0
cpuid0__(buffer)
WindowsError: exception: access violation writing 0x0000000002629B20

Extra info:
I have both the sony reader software and adobe digital editions installed

Question:
If I authorize another pc for the same account and run the script there successfully, can I use the keyfile on any pc authorized for the same account? Or is the key device specific?

pietvo
02-26-2010, 06:54 AM
See here (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=480777&postcount=249) if that solves your problem.

pdurrant
02-26-2010, 07:47 AM
See here (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=480777&postcount=249) if that solves your problem.

That does sound like the cause of the problem. It certain fits the error message.

sapient
03-05-2010, 03:16 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I have the general dep setting set to check essential windows files only, so why should it check the python executables? I changed it to "on for everything except..." but when I try to exclude the python executables from dep, I get an error that 64bit executables can't be excluded - yes, I am using the 64bit version of python with the 64bit version of pycrypto.

Edit: I tried installing the 32bit versions, and it is working fine. It seems the problem is with the 64bit versions, and although my memory is not what it used to be, I seem to recall that it used to work with the 64bit python too in the past... oh well

pietvo
03-05-2010, 06:11 AM
cpuid0() works through a C interface. It could well be that it is designed to work with 32 bit but not yet adapted to 64 bit.

jah1234
03-14-2010, 07:11 PM
I have successfully and reproducibly circumvented Adobe's ADEPT DRM system for EPUB files. A discussion of the system and the circumvention is available in a blog post I've made on the subject: Circumventing Adobe ADEPT DRM for EPUB (http://i-u2665-cabbages.blogspot.com/2009/02/circumventing-adobe-adept-drm-for-epub.html).

Could some please give me step by step intrustion on how use this program. I have all three program scrips) download to my computer, but I don't know what to do next.:help::help::help:

pietvo
03-15-2010, 07:14 AM
Have you installed Python and PyCrypto?

JSWolf
03-16-2010, 09:49 AM
Have you installed Python and PyCrypto?

Python 2.6.x and PyCrypto to go with it. Must be 32-bit versions.

Desertway
03-16-2010, 03:25 PM
I have been working on this for a few days, on both WinXP and Win7 machines, with no luck. I have Python 2.6.4 and Pycrypto 2.1.0 installed.

I have the latest version of ADE, and have no problem generating the key with ineptkey.pyw. But I cannot decrypt my epubs, even though the dialog box comes up and I am (I believe) inputting the correct path information for the files.

Using ineptepub.pyw v.4, I get the error "Problem Decrypting Session Key".

With ineptepub.pyw v.4.1, I get the error "List assignment index out of range."

Is there anything else I can try? Thanks.

ATimson
03-16-2010, 03:58 PM
Try using the "..." button to set the path instead of typing it in. For some reason it gets picky sometimes when I try to manually specify the path...

KevinH
03-16-2010, 04:15 PM
One other thing to try ...

Some ADE encrypted epubs have been created with a buggy zip program (epubs are zip containers). They use different names for the files in the zip central directory and the zip local name, and this confuses things greatly.

So when I run into problems with an ADE epub. I literally unzip it and then rezip it manually with no compression (just storage) or with compression but I am careful to not compress so the mimetype and encryption files.

There is even a special epub zip tool that handles rezipping of files to create an proper epub zip container for Mac OSX (on this forum). I am not sure what is available for Windows.

Then I try using the decryption tool and it has always worked well after that.

Desertway
03-16-2010, 04:23 PM
Try using the "..." button to set the path instead of typing it in. For some reason it gets picky sometimes when I try to manually specify the path...

I actually did do that. I see that the way I wrote it suggests that I manually typed the paths, but I didn't.

Desertway
03-16-2010, 04:31 PM
One other thing to try ...

Some ADE encrypted epubs have been created with a buggy zip program (epubs are zip containers). They use different names for the files in the zip central directory and the zip local name, and this confuses things greatly.

So when I run into problems with an ADE epub. I literally unzip it and then rezip it manually with no compression (just storage) or with compression but I am careful to not compress so the mimetype and encryption files.

There is even a special epub zip tool that handles rezipping of files to create an proper epub zip container for Mac OSX (on this forum). I am not sure what is available for Windows.

Then I try using the decryption tool and it has always worked well after that.

I tried that, and was told that my recreated zip was not an "adept epub."

KevinH
03-16-2010, 04:48 PM
Hi,

Please make sure that the mimetype file is not compressed and is the first file in the archive.

The command line way to do this is:

zip -X0 "full path to new epub file" mimetype

then followed by

zip -rDX9 "full path to new epub file" * -x mimetype

This is effectively what the epub Zip for Mac OSX tool does:

More info can be found here:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55681

I am sure there must be something that does this automatically for Windows but being a Mac user, I don't know the name of it offhand.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Kevin

Desertway
03-16-2010, 05:07 PM
Thanks. I can't find anything automated, and otherwise we are now over my head. I appreciate your efforts.

pietvo
03-16-2010, 07:41 PM
With ineptepub.pyw v.4.1, I get the error "List assignment index out of range."

Is there anything else I can try? Thanks.
Make sure you have ineptkey version 4.3 with ineptepub.pyw v.4.1.

wallcraft
03-16-2010, 09:13 PM
With ineptepub.pyw v.4.1, I get the error "List assignment index out of range." I started seeing this (with some version of ineptepub) even with previously circumventable ebooks. I reinstalled Pycrypto and the problem went away.

Desertway
03-16-2010, 10:10 PM
Make sure you have ineptkey version 4.3 with ineptepub.pyw v.4.1.

It worked! In all my newbee exploration of all the different versions that have been mentioned, I must have missed this particular combination. Grazi!

DougFNJ
03-17-2010, 09:44 AM
Hi Guys.....I am so close to getting this, and I keep running into problems....maybe someone could tell me what I'm doing wrong?

I am thinking I may be trading in my Sony for an iPad when it releases. I want to remove the DRM on my Sony Books when I do this. I followed the instructions over and over and cannot seem to get it working.

I open the ineptepub.

I put in the keyfile browsing to ineptkey.

I browse input file to the book I want to free. I name the output file the name of the book. I keep getting an error that reads :Error: Error decoding ASN.1

What am I doing wrong? Thanks for any help you could offer...

Desertway
03-17-2010, 11:03 AM
Hi Guys.....I am so close to getting this, and I keep running into problems....maybe someone could tell me what I'm doing wrong?

I am thinking I may be trading in my Sony for an iPad when it releases. I want to remove the DRM on my Sony Books when I do this. I followed the instructions over and over and cannot seem to get it working.

I open the ineptepub.

I put in the keyfile browsing to ineptkey.

I browse input file to the book I want to free. I name the output file the name of the book. I keep getting an error that reads :Error: Error decoding ASN.1

What am I doing wrong? Thanks for any help you could offer...

That was one of the errors I got also. Did you try the specific version combination mentioned about 3 posts before yours? That's what finally worked for me. You can google the file versions just as they are written in the post and include the word "pastebin".

That combo was the only one that worked for me.

pietvo
03-17-2010, 11:19 AM
Right. `Error decoding ASN.1' means that the key is in a wrong format. Probably not the most recent ineptkey.

DougFNJ
03-17-2010, 12:14 PM
Thanks.....I will try it tonight.....crossing fingers.

DougFNJ
03-17-2010, 11:30 PM
At this point I have all the updated files discussed.....I am still getting the same thing happening, I cannot get off that message :sos:

No matter what I seem to do the same thing happens over and over.

MisBloo
03-19-2010, 07:56 AM
I used to have all this on windows but I have a mac now. Is there a mac version for epub and PDF?

DougFNJ
03-19-2010, 11:15 AM
Thanks to some EXTREMELY helpful members here I freed my books :thumbsup:

The problem was I was using the 64 bit windows version of Python, once I uninstalled that and installed the regular windows version, everything went without a hitch. 30 books freed in about 20 minutes....I can now read my books on other devices....iPad anyone? ;)

Thank you all SOOOOOO much for the help, that was a huge concern.

JSWolf
03-19-2010, 11:25 AM
Seems the 64-bit Python with the 64-bit (or 32-bit) PyCrypto just doesn't work.

Terisa de morgan
03-19-2010, 01:30 PM
Seems the 64-bit Python with the 64-bit (or 32-bit) PyCrypto just doesn't work.

No, it doesn't work. When I changed to Windows 7, I installed that and I had to deinstall it.

pietvo
03-19-2010, 04:23 PM
I used to have all this on windows but I have a mac now. Is there a mac version for epub and PDF?

The epub and pdf scripts are the same on the Mac as on Windows. But make sure you have the lastest versions (ineptepub 4.1, ineptpdf 7.4).
The only thing that is different is that you need ineptkeymac.py.

Pol
03-20-2010, 01:12 AM
I'm frustrated. I'm on a Mac (snow leopard) and legally bought my sony ePubs for the PRS600. Couldn't stand the reader itself and sold it (after duly deauthorizing it).

Now I want to read those LEGALLY PURCHASED BY ME (lest the forum police smack me) books on my iPhone (or future iPad).

I have tried various scripts, etc... and am certain I'm missing a step. I successfully unzipped an epub and found the apple script to re-zip it. What's the middle step?

Thank you - from a relatively techie kind of person...who is really stumped.

Illinifan
03-20-2010, 01:12 AM
Success! I love cabbages rocks! So do the anon guys who wrote the automated scripts. Truly outstanding!:book2:

joblack
03-20-2010, 08:55 AM
I'm frustrated. I'm on a Mac (snow leopard) and legally bought my sony ePubs for the PRS600. Couldn't stand the reader itself and sold it (after duly deauthorizing it).

Now I want to read those LEGALLY PURCHASED BY ME (lest the forum police smack me) books on my iPhone (or future iPad).

I have tried various scripts, etc... and am certain I'm missing a step. I successfully unzipped an epub and found the apple script to re-zip it. What's the middle step?

You don't have to unzip the epub. Just get the key with ineptkeymac and use the newest ineptepub script to do the rest. A more comprehensive howto can be found in this thread.

Toxaris
03-20-2010, 10:23 AM
I hope you can still retrieve your key, since you de-authorized the reader... If the key cannot be retrieved, you're scr*w*d.

JSWolf
03-20-2010, 10:27 AM

Install the txtr app. It supports the DRM used by those ePub eBooks. So you can then read them on your iPhone without needing to strip the DRM.

JSWolf
03-20-2010, 10:28 AM
I hope you can still retrieve your key, since you de-authorized the reader... If the key cannot be retrieved, you're scr*w*d.

As long as ADE is installed and is registered and you have the version of ineptkey for the mac (whatever it's called) that works with the latest ADE for the MAC, then all should be a go.

retro
03-20-2010, 11:52 AM
So, my countdown ended and I had to update to the new ADE.

I've been following this thread, but it jumps around sometimes and I just wanted to clarify which files to use on Windows 7.

I understand that the ineptkey v4.3 works with ineptepub v4.1 (learned the hard way it doesn't work with ineptepub v4.3, but 4.3 should work with ineptkey v4.2?)

I don't currently have any pdfs to dedrm, but I have ineptpdf v7.3 and v7.4. Will they both work with the new v4.3 key? Which version is best to use with a 4.3 key?

Is the 4.3 key the best one to use for either epubs or pdfs?

Sorry to sound so dense, but the version numbers are confusing me. :blink:

Thanks for helping!

pilotbob
03-20-2010, 12:01 PM
You only need to use ineptkey once. Once you have the key file you should be fine to upgrade. The DRM scheme wasn't changed... just how/where the key is stored was.

So you should have no worries about upgrading.

BOb

retro
03-20-2010, 12:14 PM
Yes, I know to only use the ineptkey once.
What I am trying to determine is which version of ineptepub and ineptpfd is best to use with the new v4.3 key.

pilotbob
03-20-2010, 02:02 PM
Yes, I know to only use the ineptkey once.
What I am trying to determine is which version of ineptepub and ineptpfd is best to use with the new v4.3 key.

The key is the same no matter which version of ineptkey you use. You need to use the right one.

I would say the most recent version of the inept scripts is what you want to use.. always.

BOb

retro
03-20-2010, 04:20 PM
I would say the most recent version of the inept scripts is what you want to use.. always.

That's not true and that's why it's confusing.

ineptepub v4.3 does not work with the ineptkey v4.3 key, but ineptepub v4.1 does.

I've read on other sites to go back to ineptpdf v2 if using the 4.3 key.

If someone knows the answer, please let me know. Thanks.

pdurrant
03-20-2010, 04:40 PM

I did write an answer, but I haven't posted it as I suspect it might be getting too close to the "no discussion of de-drm software" rule.

The information at the Apprentice's blog is correct.

pilotbob
03-20-2010, 04:52 PM
I did write an answer, but I haven't posted it as I suspect it might be getting too close to the "no discussion of de-drm software" rule.

No step by step directions about how to remove DRM. Or links to DRM tools or step by step directions. Or posting of DRM removal tool scripts or codes.

Discussion of DRM, removing it and the tools used to do it is perfectly fine.

BOb - Moderator

pietvo
03-20-2010, 05:01 PM
That's not true and that's why it's confusing.

ineptepub v4.3 does not work with the ineptkey v4.3 key, but ineptepub v4.1 does.

I've read on other sites to go back to ineptpdf v2 if using the 4.3 key.

ineptepub v4.3? Is there such a thing?
ineptpdf 7.4 should work with an ineptkey 4.3 key

joblack
03-20-2010, 07:27 PM
ineptepub v4.3? Is there such a thing?
ineptpdf 7.4 should work with an ineptkey 4.3 key

No the newest is ineptepub 4.1

Croptop
03-24-2010, 08:42 PM
...snip...

I got this all up and running successfully on my old Powerbook G4 running Leopard. Feel free to PM me if you want some help getting this working on the Mac and we can take it off of the board so we don't violate the deDRM rules.

VanillaEps
03-25-2010, 09:12 PM
I couldn't get this to work on my mac, but it worked flawlessly on my netbook. I now have the collection that matters, my purchased books, successfully stripped for transfer over to my Kindle 2.

Sydney's Mom
03-29-2010, 10:39 AM
If you want your ineptepub close at hand but not litering up your desktop, try this:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78525

I named mine EPUB Hack, and it looks great on my taskbar!

SinCityReader
03-30-2010, 11:42 PM
I have read all 45 pages of this post (some pages twice) and every link in it and if I didn't pay for my kindle I would throw it against the wall :angry:....I just don't get it. I thought when I bought it I would be able to do all of this...hell I jailbroke & unlocked 2 iphones. But this is way above my head.

If I'm trying all this after the update of DE, can you tell me what page on this thread I should start at?

:thanks:

pilotbob
03-30-2010, 11:43 PM
I have read all 45 pages of this post (some pages twice) and every link in it and if I didn't pay for my kindle I would throw it against the wall :angry:....I just don't get it. I thought when I bought it I would be able to do all of this...hell I jailbroke & unlocked 2 iphones. But this is way above my head.

If I'm trying all this after the update of DE, can you tell me what page on this thread I should start at?

You're not trying this on Kindle books are you?

BOb

Seabound
03-30-2010, 11:49 PM

Go to pastebin.com. Search for ineptkey.pyw 4.3 and ineptepub.pyw 4.1. Follow instructions in those files.

I don't think Kindle reads ePub, so you'll have to convert from ePub to some other format that Kindle reads.

SinCityReader
03-31-2010, 01:49 AM
You're not trying this on Kindle books are you?

BOb

No, I am trying to use a coupon I got from KOBO before April 1st. I need to do this before tomorrow at midnight. I need like six books for my April Book Clubs. Most of them I can get cheaper from KOBO using the coupon, Amazon wants like $9.99 per book.

SinCityReader
03-31-2010, 01:53 AM
Go to pastebin.com. Search for ineptkey.pyw 4.3 and ineptepub.pyw 4.1. Follow instructions in those files.

I don't think Kindle reads ePub, so you'll have to convert from ePub to some other format that Kindle reads.

:thanks::thanks::thanks:
:curtsey:
:happydance:

I GOT IT...I GOT IT..

I also gave you Karma :D

Have a good night!!

:mrrox:

MisBloo
03-31-2010, 09:22 AM
I have downloaded everything but when I click on them they say I need PyCrypto to run them. I have PyCrypto 2.1.0, ineptepub 4.1 and ineptkeymac.py. What am I doing wrong?

electristan
03-31-2010, 04:41 PM
Just wanted to add my thanks. Now i have books formatted to my taste for my eight hour flight tomorrow :)

pietvo
03-31-2010, 05:58 PM
I have downloaded everything but when I click on them they say I need PyCrypto to run them. I have PyCrypto 2.1.0, ineptepub 4.1 and ineptkeymac.py. What am I doing wrong?
You must not just download PyCrypto, you must also install it. And then it must be installed for the Python version that the scripts are using. Mac OS X has its own version of Python aboard but if you also installed a custom Python version you must make sure that PyCrypto belongs to the version of Python that the ineptepub will use.

You can try the following:
1. Open the Terminal application (in Applications/Utilities)
2. In the window that opens type the following two lines, each line ended with the return key:
python
import Crypto

and copy the contents of the window here. Then quit Terminal.

wallcraft
03-31-2010, 08:45 PM
I have downloaded everything but when I click on them they say I need PyCrypto to run them. Under Windows you need to install PyCrypto, from the "PyCrypto Prebuilt Python Binaries for Windows". It probably needs to be a 32-bit version and a 32-bit Python.

JSWolf
04-05-2010, 10:03 AM
Under Windows you need to install PyCrypto, from the "PyCrypto Prebuilt Python Binaries for Windows". It probably needs to be a 32-bit version and a 32-bit Python.

It 100% needs to be 32-bit Python with 32-bit PyCrypto. For whatever reason, the 64-bit Pythin/PyCrypto does not work. Also has to be a 2.6.x version of Python.

pietvo
04-05-2010, 11:09 AM
The latest scripts do work with 64-bit Python + 64 bit PyCrypto. But if you have a choice it is better to install 32-bit versions because there might be other scripts that do not work with 64-bit.

JSWolf
04-05-2010, 04:39 PM
The latest scripts do work with 64-bit Python + 64 bit PyCrypto. But if you have a choice it is better to install 32-bit versions because there might be other scripts that do not work with 64-bit.

Not sure is MobiDeDRM works with 64 bit or not. But I do agree using the 32-bit version will make sure things work.

pietvo
04-05-2010, 07:45 PM
Mobidedrm does work but unswindle not. Anyway, this thread is about epub so that was what I referred to.

Devorah
04-06-2010, 01:03 PM
I used the inept files successfully in December but am not having success with a bn book purchased today. The adept key is created successfully but when I try to decrypt I am receiving an error that the file is not a zip. Any help out there please?

Thanks
Devorah

pdurrant
04-06-2010, 01:07 PM
I used the inept files successfully in December but am not having success with a bn book purchased today. The adept key is created successfully but when I try to decrypt I am receiving an error that the file is not a zip. Any help out there please?

It sounds like you don't have an epub. It's probably an eReader file. You can decrypt those, and then you'll need to take the decrypted files and use something like Calibre to convert them to ePub.

ATimson
04-06-2010, 01:07 PM
Sounds like the file you downloaded is in eReader format, not ePub.

Devorah
04-06-2010, 02:00 PM
You folks are awesome!

Frederike
04-15-2010, 08:39 AM
I installed everything but if I want to decrypt the files I get the following error:
problem decrypting session key.
Does anyone know how to solve this? Because I would like to get my ebooks on my ereader:)

pietvo
04-15-2010, 01:01 PM
That could mean that your adeptkey.der is not correct. For example if it was created with an incompatible version of ineptkey.pyw. Or if your ebook was purchased with a different Adobe ID.

abjdiat
04-18-2010, 11:42 AM
I purchased a epub book from kobobooks and added it to ADE,
the ineptkey script gives me this error
File "C:\Users\jaffar\Desktop\ineptkey.pyw", line 230, in main
retrieve_key(keypath)
File "C:\Users\jaffar\Desktop\ineptkey.pyw", line 203, in retrieve_key
with open(keypath, 'wb') as f:
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'adeptkey.der'

sorry, i figured it out, it's okay now

runnerpeter
04-22-2010, 01:29 PM
I Got the same problem as Frederike. I downloaded and payed for my E Books but now i can't read them on a Ipad, because of the DRM. Done everthing like in the Blog. But getting the same message: problem decrypting session key.
Also read a Dutch website where i downloaded python 2.6, PyCrypto etc.
Anybody suggustions to help me out?

ngrant
04-22-2010, 04:15 PM
I...message: problem decrypting session key.

I had the same problem and found this solution on another website that worked for me. I downgraded my ADE to 1.7.1 as per the instructions (see below), then ran the first script ineptkey.pyw to create the adeptkey.der file which I have saved in the same folder as my epub books (and backed up safely elsewhere) and it still works even though I upgraded Digital Editions to the latest version afterwards. KEEP THIS KEY FILE SAFE and DO NOT RUN THE ineptkey.pyw EVER AGAIN! It will replace your working key with a non-working version.

Then go ahead and run the ineptepub.pyw script on each book one at a time to decrypt. I can't tell you how GOOD it felt the first time I was successful with this, after months of messing around with it. I can now read my Sony store ebooks on my jetBook Lite instead of my laptop and it is GLORIOUS.

Hope this helps you as it did me; copy or print these instructions as this post may have to be taken down by the mods for violating something or other...

I think I have a solution for the "Error: problem decrypting session key" problem:

1) Uninstall your Adobe Digital Editions - I had the latest version 1.7.2

2) Download the stand-alone installer for version 1.7.1 and install - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/developer/digitalpublishing/digitaleditions1_7_setup.exe

3) Re-authorize ADE with your user ID and password. When you get the message to update in 44 days, ignore it.

runnerpeter
04-24-2010, 10:32 AM
I'm sorry but the above solution did not help me, but thanks for your message. I'll be watching this thread for a solution.:thanks::thanks:

joblack
04-24-2010, 11:44 AM
I Got the same problem as Frederike. I downloaded and payed for my E Books but now i can't read them on a Ipad, because of the DRM. Done everthing like in the Blog. But getting the same message: problem decrypting session key.
Also read a Dutch website where i downloaded python 2.6, PyCrypto etc.
Anybody suggustions to help me out?

You need the newest ineptkey and ineptpdf or ineptepub. In certain cases you have to read the key with the new ineptkey (or the mac equivalent).

runnerpeter
04-24-2010, 11:50 AM
I found my solution with E-book-converter who turns epub into PDF's With Calibre back to Epub. Now i can read them on any device.
If i buy a book in a store they don't tell me to put it on my neighbours shelf. I bought the books so i should be able to read them on a device of my choice.
:2thumbsup

runnerpeter
04-24-2010, 11:53 AM
Thanks Jo Black for your support. I'll try this one also. But for today i'm happy with the ebook converter. Just for mouse klicks.

columbus
04-24-2010, 11:59 AM
Be cautious with E-book-converter.

Norton Internet security identifies E-book-converter 's web site as high risk / phishing attack.

DMcCunney
04-26-2010, 03:38 PM
Be cautious with E-book-converter.

Norton Internet security identifies E-book-converter 's web site as high risk / phishing attack.
I use Firefox with Google's threat/phish database feature activated, and it doesn't see a problem. (When it does, you can drill down and find out why.)

The registrar for the domain is a chap in Ontario, Canada. The IP address for the site is part of a block allocated to an outfit in Absecon, NJ in the US.

Symantec Corporate A/V has no problem with a test download of the B&N ebook converter package. (Downloads come from Softpedia, which is a reputable repository who checks stuff on their end.)

I don't have any commercial offerings at hand to test the conversion on, but I'm not especially concerned about simply visiting the site.

Does Norton IS give any details of why it thinks the site is suspicious?
______
Dennis

JSWolf
04-27-2010, 09:17 AM
I found my solution with E-book-converter who turns epub into PDF's With Calibre back to Epub. Now i can read them on any device.
If i buy a book in a store they don't tell me to put it on my neighbours shelf. I bought the books so i should be able to read them on a device of my choice.
:2thumbsup

So you go from ePub to PDF to ePub and introduce all kinds of errors. Why not just strip the DRM and forget PDF in the process?

columbus
04-27-2010, 09:48 AM
I use Firefox with Google's threat/phish database feature activated, and it doesn't see a problem. (When it does, you can drill down and find out why.)

The registrar for the domain is a chap in Ontario, Canada. The IP address for the site is part of a block allocated to an outfit in Absecon, NJ in the US.

Symantec Corporate A/V has no problem with a test download of the B&N ebook converter package. (Downloads come from Softpedia, which is a reputable repository who checks stuff on their end.)

I don't have any commercial offerings at hand to test the conversion on, but I'm not especially concerned about simply visiting the site.

Does Norton IS give any details of why it thinks the site is suspicious?
______
Dennis

I guess I should have given a bit more info' rather than a bald post.

As the poster did not give details I googled *E-book-converter*
Of the hits it returned I checked the top of the hits & most likely *brothersoft* free download one which popped up the Norton safeweb warning. Google gave no warning.
Obviously this may not be the site you refer to. But it is at the top of the Google hits.

Full details of the Norton warning Here (http://safeweb.norton.com/report/show?url=brothersoft.com)

columbus
04-27-2010, 09:51 AM
So you go from ePub to PDF to ePub and introduce all kinds of errors. Why not just strip the DRM and forget PDF in the process?

:offtopic:

Jon
EeeeeK!!! :eek: is your new Avatar HarryT half Naked!!!??

astra
04-28-2010, 05:36 AM

Jon

My thoughts exactly :eek:

starrigger
04-28-2010, 02:20 PM
I know this has been covered, but I can't remember and can't find it:

Are epubs purchased from B&N and downloaded directly to the Nook protected by Adept DRM or a different scheme? (I.e., will the inept script work on them?)

grooks
04-28-2010, 02:23 PM
B&N ePubs use a different DRM scheme. There is another script out there called 'ignoble'. I used it once on a B&N ePub just to try it out.

starrigger
04-28-2010, 06:42 PM
B&N ePubs use a different DRM scheme. There is another script out there called 'ignoble'. I used it once on a B&N ePub just to try it out.

Ah--thanks. I was considering a Nook for my 87-year-old father-in-law. After looking at the Nook, though, I decided he'd find the Sony Touch easier to use and got him that, instead.

maxbookworm
04-30-2010, 10:58 PM
Thank you so so much for this! This worked flawlessly the very first time for me. I love having all my books de-DRM'ed.

THANKS!!!!

JSWolf
05-09-2010, 12:13 PM

Jon

It's actually Davros who created the Daleks.

columbus
05-10-2010, 09:17 AM
It's actually Davros who created the Daleks.

?? HarryT is actually Davros ? does he know??

simplyparticular
05-12-2010, 08:51 AM
I've been merrily, labouriously disinfecting over 200 files for the last few weeks and have hit an error I can't get around.

Here is a screenshot of the error I got on two epubs I downloaded this week:

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j296/breegenie/-.jpg

Since the error flags, I get no output. These are Overdrive-sourced, both newish releases, so I'm wondering if there has been a change in file structure?

JSWolf
05-12-2010, 09:04 AM
I've been merrily, labouriously disinfecting over 200 files for the last few weeks and have hit an error I can't get around.

Here is a screenshot of the error I got on two epubs I downloaded this week:

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j296/breegenie/-.jpg

Since the error flags, I get no output. These are Overdrive-sourced, both newish releases, so I'm wondering if there has been a change in file structure?

It means you have a bad directory structure in the ePub. You'll need to unzip it, find the error, fix it, and then rezip and try to strip the DRM from there.

66sprite
05-12-2010, 02:49 PM
I am trying to remove the DRM from an ebook so I can use it on my iPad. When I run the script I get this error:

Error in:Holy_Bible_NIV.epub[Errno 2] No Such file or Directory:'/Users/myname/Documents/ebook/\\Holy_Bibke_NIV.epub

I am not sure what the error means. I have the Decrypter pointed to the key file, the input path the /Users/myname/Documents/ebook/ and the output path to /Users/myname/Desktop

I saw above that JSWolf said to unzip the file and correct the error. I have unzipped the epub file but I am not sure what I am looking for.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

FizzyWater
05-12-2010, 02:55 PM
Did you use the "browse" option to choose your directories, rather than key them in manually?

At first glance (as a Windows user), it looks to me like your slashes are in the wrong direction: / for URLs, \ for Windows file directories.

66sprite
05-12-2010, 04:12 PM
I used the browse buttons to choose the directories. The slashes are backwards because OSX is a unix os.

joblack
05-12-2010, 05:14 PM
Did you use the "browse" option to choose your directories, rather than key them in manually?

At first glance (as a Windows user), it looks to me like your slashes are in the wrong direction: / for URLs, \ for Windows file directories.

There might be some problems in certain circumstances. Have you (re-)named the file starting with two backslashs? It's possible to name your file that way ... the script is scanning for // or \\.

pdurrant
05-12-2010, 05:20 PM
I saw above that JSWolf said to unzip the file and correct the error. I have unzipped the epub file but I am not sure what I am looking for.

In most cases, just unzipping and re-zipping (the special epub way) will do the trick. It seems that there's more than one place in a zip file to store the file paths. Some epubs have incorrect information in one of those places.

66sprite
05-12-2010, 05:23 PM
I just renamed the file and put it in a new folder and it still comes up with the same error.

66sprite
05-12-2010, 05:25 PM
i will try unzipping and rezipping it.

66sprite
05-12-2010, 05:48 PM
what is the best way to zip it back with in OSX?

66sprite
05-12-2010, 06:18 PM
what is the best way to unzip and zip back on a mac

pilotbob
05-12-2010, 06:23 PM
what is the best way to unzip and zip back on a mac

Use the built in ZIP facility. Double click on a Zip and it compresses. Select files and right click choose "compress" to create a Zip.

BOb

66sprite
05-12-2010, 06:29 PM
Thanks Bob,

I tried that and I am still getting the same error. Any other ideas?

JSWolf
05-12-2010, 08:05 PM
Thanks Bob,

I tried that and I am still getting the same error. Any other ideas?

Can you post a file list of all the files/directories so we can see what the problem might be?

I had an ePub once that had a couple of invalid entries in it that had to be removed. The way to remove them was to unzip and then zip back all the valid entries and then I was able to strip the DRM.

pietvo
05-12-2010, 11:26 PM
You can't just zip the files to get a correct epub file. It has to be done in a special way. See http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=581649

spec
05-13-2010, 09:16 AM
I am trying to remove the DRM from an ebook so I can use it on my iPad. When I run the script I get this error:

Error in:Holy_Bible_NIV.epub[Errno 2] No Such file or Directory:'/Users/myname/Documents/ebook/\\Holy_Bibke_NIV.epub

I wonder who needed to protect their author/publisher rights and put the DRM on almost 500 year old translation of the Bible? (rhetorical question)

spec
05-13-2010, 09:21 AM
I wonder who needed to protect their author/publisher rights and put the DRM on almost 500 year old translation of the Bible? (rhetorical question)

sorry just noticed it's NIV not KJV, but still it's the Bible...

JSWolf
05-13-2010, 09:24 AM
sorry just noticed it's NIV not KJV, but still it's the Bible...

But what about all those extra bits that don't belong? Is it still the Bible with these extra bits? :chinscratch:

66sprite
05-13-2010, 11:34 AM
You can't just zip the files to get a correct epub file. It has to be done in a special way. See http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=581649

I followed these instruction and even tried moving the file to the desktop but I am still getting the error:

Error in: Holy_Bible_NIV.epub[Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/Users/myname/Desktop\\Holy_Bible_NIV.epub'

spec
05-13-2010, 12:52 PM
But what about all those extra bits that don't belong? Is it still the Bible with these extra bits? :chinscratch:

I withdraw my comment then.... Looks like NIV has a copyright on it. I guess it's possible to assume copyright on a translation of a text that is public domain.

DMcCunney
05-13-2010, 01:11 PM
I withdraw my comment then.... Looks like NIV has a copyright on it. I guess it's possible to assume copyright on a translation of a text that is public domain.
It certainly is. Separate copyright applies to the translation. The source text may be in the public domain, but the translation is not. This is an issue for a large number of works in the public domain not originally written in English.

The NIV is the work of over 100 translators, and the result of an effort to provide an updated translation in contemporary English that was begun in 1966.

See http://www.biblegateway.com/versions/New-International-Version-NIV-Bible/ for some background on it.
______
Dennis

66sprite
05-13-2010, 03:57 PM
Here is the original epub file

edit: Thanks

Bilbo1967
05-13-2010, 03:59 PM
Here is the original epub bile

Best edit that to add the missing 'b' before somebody takes offence :D

simplyparticular
05-13-2010, 05:47 PM
I was able to get both books converted on my Mac by:

1. zipping the epub (right click, select compress)
2. unzipping it with built-in mac utility
3. rezipping it with pdurrant's AppleScript

Thanks to JSWold, trowley's PM and karma all around. :D

66sprite
05-13-2010, 05:55 PM
I was able to get both books converted on my Mac by:

1. zipping the epub (right click, select compress)
2. unzipping it with built-in mac utility
3. rezipping it with pdurrant's AppleScript

Thanks to JSWold, trowley's PM and karma all around. :D

K, I will try again and see if I can get it to work.

66sprite
05-13-2010, 06:11 PM
I followed the instructions and still got the error.

I decided to start over again and re-downloaded the scripts and this time it worked.

Everyone thanks for everything.

DaleDe
05-13-2010, 08:47 PM

Any book that is translated gets a new copyright owned by the one (company) doing the translation. The Bible you chose was a recent translation. However, all books work this way, not just Bibles.

spec
05-14-2010, 12:35 AM
Any book that is translated gets a new copyright owned by the one (company) doing the translation. The Bible you chose was a recent translation. However, all books work this way, not just Bibles.

I'm pretty sure that's not exactly how it works. by example: if I translate wikipedia to say, klingon, and start selling it, I cannot disregard original creating commons license, I would have to honor it. I also cannot just take "davinci code" or "angels and deamons", translate it to, say, klingon and "own copyright" on that translated book. I'm pretty sure my best bet would be to assume a suit coming in both instances (latter instance is more likely).

I just think it's a bit more complex. translator(s) get their due credit, but they cannot disregard the rights of the original author(s) and the license on which the work was released.

Sorry to start this off-topic discussion. It's just I think that with migrating to ebook as a new media of written word we as readers are loosing a lot of rights. And on top of that we see those completely ridiculous things like DRM put on public domain works

DaleDe
05-14-2010, 10:37 AM
I'm pretty sure that's not exactly how it works. by example: if I translate wikipedia to say, klingon, and start selling it, I cannot disregard original creating commons license, I would have to honor it. I also cannot just take "davinci code" or "angels and deamons", translate it to, say, klingon and "own copyright" on that translated book. I'm pretty sure my best bet would be to assume a suit coming in both instances (latter instance is more likely).

I just think it's a bit more complex. translator(s) get their due credit, but they cannot disregard the rights of the original author(s) and the license on which the work was released.

Sorry to start this off-topic discussion. It's just I think that with migrating to ebook as a new media of written word we as readers are loosing a lot of rights. And on top of that we see those completely ridiculous things like DRM put on public domain works

You are right. I did oversimplify since the original copyright rules do have influence on the outcome but the Bible is pre-copyright laws although the original KJV is now under permanent copyright in the UK as is Peter Pan. Public Domain is a default condition after the copyright expires and is not the original authors intent normally. I suspect a translator can even copyright a document he/she created even if the original user released it in public domain. Public Domain means you can do anything you want with the document with no rights reserved by the original author. So you can legally even add DRM if you want to.

Dale

FlorenceArt
05-14-2010, 10:57 AM
I had the same problem and found this solution on another website that worked for me. I downgraded my ADE to 1.7.1 as per the instructions (see below), then ran the first script ineptkey.pyw to create the adeptkey.der file which I have saved in the same folder as my epub books (and backed up safely elsewhere) and it still works even though I upgraded Digital Editions to the latest version afterwards. KEEP THIS KEY FILE SAFE and DO NOT RUN THE ineptkey.pyw EVER AGAIN! It will replace your working key with a non-working version.

Then go ahead and run the ineptepub.pyw script on each book one at a time to decrypt. I can't tell you how GOOD it felt the first time I was successful with this, after months of messing around with it. I can now read my Sony store ebooks on my jetBook Lite instead of my laptop and it is GLORIOUS.

Hope this helps you as it did me; copy or print these instructions as this post may have to be taken down by the mods for violating something or other...

Hello,

I just found out I have the same problem: I upgraded to ADE 1.7.2 and ran the script to get the key again, thinking it was the right thing to do. Apparently not :(

Problem is, I can't find a link to ADE 1.7.1 for Mac. Any suggestion?

FlorenceArt
05-14-2010, 11:19 AM
Hello,

I just found out I have the same problem: I upgraded to ADE 1.7.2 and ran the script to get the key again, thinking it was the right thing to do. Apparently not :(

Problem is, I can't find a link to ADE 1.7.1 for Mac. Any suggestion?

OK, forget I asked. I think I've got the answer. There is a new version of the ineptkey script (v4.3 or thereabouts), and most importantly for me a new script that actually works on Mac, it's called ineptkeymac. It seems to be working for now (crossing fingers).

Anyway, those new scripts can get the key from new versions of ADE, so I didn't need to find and install an old version. Phew. I'm actually going to be able to read the book I bought.

ngrant
05-14-2010, 05:01 PM
Hi FlorenceArt, I was going to suggest that you try the new tools available for the latest version of ADE, so I'm glad that you got it to work. I have been able to decrypt all my DRM epubs so far with my "old" key so am not going to touch or "upgrade" anything to cause it to stop working, ha ha. This works so well for me that I stopped purchasing any other format, like secure ereader -- which works on my jetBook Lite BUT what if I get another device that does not do pdb?? Another round of conversions? No thanks. I'm happy to unlock the epub format and hope that it is indeed the "standard" format of the future which will work on any device.

The Old Man
05-15-2010, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the help with my problem.

fakename1024
05-16-2010, 11:29 PM
I was able to successfully retrieve a key via Wine but it took a bit of jiggering the locations. Installed Python and PyCrypto for Windows in Wine. Then ran the script in a separate desktop via:
wine explorer /desktop=name,1024x768 python.exe ineptkey.py
What a relief; wasn't ready to get my Windows box back up just to regenerate a stupid key!

That didn't work for me. Here's what I did that worked:

<<MODERATED.... Step but step instructions and links to DRM removal tools are not allowed.>>

Toxaris
05-17-2010, 04:41 AM
I am not quite sure, but I think that a link to the python scripts is not allowed here on the forum. Please remove them to avoid complications. Mentioning the scripts is allowed.

astra
05-17-2010, 04:57 AM
One time is enough to get all the info :)

NookyBook
05-17-2010, 07:46 PM
After using INEPT on an epub there remains a string on every file in the epub.

The string is:
<meta name="Adept.resource" value="urn:uuid:a43f58df-6769-422f-a57f-f0afa42fe7a6"/>

This is distinct from and in addition to the uid ISBN that is used in the epub. The string is in the header of every xml/html content file in the epub.

Is this urn:uuid a benign number, or can it be used as part of the ADEPT DRM to track down the origination of the download, purchaser, or the machine of the originator? Is it a bloody fingerprint?

pdurrant
05-18-2010, 03:55 AM
After using INEPT on an epub there remains a string on every file in the epub.

The string is:
<meta name="Adept.resource" value="urn:uuid:a43f58df-6769-422f-a57f-f0afa42fe7a6"/>

This is distinct from and in addition to the uid ISBN that is used in the epub. The string is in the header of every xml/html content file in the epub.

Is this urn:uuid a benign number, or can it be used as part of the ADEPT DRM to track down the origination of the download, purchaser, or the machine of the originator? Is it a bloody fingerprint?

Frankly, who cares? It doesn't stop you using the file for any legitimate purpose.

ATimson
05-18-2010, 09:56 AM
Frankly, who cares? It doesn't stop you using the file for any legitimate purpose.
It's theoretically possible that an Adobe SDK reader (Digital Editions, txtr on iPhone) could phone home those tags, leading to the disabling of the Adobe account of anybody who used INEPT.

Likely, no; paranoid, yes. But still possible. :thumbsup: