View Full Version : Adobe ADEPT DRM for EPUB circumvented

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

JSWolf
06-16-2009, 09:50 PM
I have never had DEP on XP block anything I actually want to run. And under Vista, I have turned off UAC as it's useless to me. We have Vista on our laptop.

Wes
06-19-2009, 02:47 PM
JsWolf,

Ok, thats great you turned of UAC, however, there are many out here that just might like to keep that extra layer of protection in place. DEP is a good technology, and if properly used will allow users of Vista to allow programs which were not designed to run specifically under Vista's new api to function correctly.

Actually, many turn UAC off prematurely when an exception made in DEP would allow an errant program to run just fine.

My advice to all would be to ALWAYS try an exception in DEP for an errant program before resorting to disabling of UAC. Just my two cents.

Wes

JSWolf
06-21-2009, 07:54 PM
The way UAC is implemented in Vista is awful. It needs to be turned off to be able to use Vista without wanting to trash the computer. In Windows 7, UAC is still there, but it's not as annoying. It doesn't get so in the way. It is what should have been in Vista. In Vista, the easiest way to get Book Designer to work is to turn off UAC besides registering some OCX files. In Windows 7, I could just register the OCX files I needed and it worked.

joblack
06-22-2009, 04:33 AM
The way UAC is implemented in Vista is awful. It needs to be turned off to be able to use Vista without wanting to trash the computer. In Windows 7, UAC is still there, but it's not as annoying. It doesn't get so in the way. It is what should have been in Vista. In Vista, the easiest way to get Book Designer to work is to turn off UAC besides registering some OCX files. In Windows 7, I could just register the OCX files I needed and it worked.

Another reason could be if you activated the Execution Protection for all programs (and not only for the services).

I had a lot of problems after activating it for all processes (also games ...).

Change it under System Control -> System

JSWolf
06-22-2009, 09:10 AM
Given that someday the laptop will be upgraded to Windows 7, I'll be fine with UAC off as I do know what I am doing there.

pthwaite
06-27-2009, 03:38 PM
Hi, I'm having a few problems with this.
I've got the scripts and have my key file, all good so far.

When I run the ineptepub script though, I encounter some problems.
Although it runs, I get errors and no sensible file output. The Errors are, and I enclose to clips of the screen:

They are DRm'ed epubs of a series. The first I left in Calibre's Library and the other I moved, along with the scripts to a new folder in the C drive called epubdecrypt.

Any help appreciated, thanks

wallcraft
06-27-2009, 07:38 PM
The first I left in Calibre's Library and the other I moved, along with the scripts to a new folder in the C drive called epubdecrypt. Try running ineptepub.pyw on the original ePub, which is probably in My Documents\My Digital Editions. Calibre makes it own copy, and probably changes the file. You need either the original or an exact copy of the original.

pthwaite
06-28-2009, 03:32 AM
Wallcraft,
I've tried that and get similar errors, here's one from another epub.

"File name in directory OEBPS/301p61://w and header OEBPS/301p61.jpg differ"

This is from the free test, download one from BoB, "A Kids Guide to...".

The thing is, when the above style error is given, an output epub file is produced, file, when read in Stanza is displayed as garbage, as though the decrypt has failed.
If you rename the produced epub as a zip file and look inside, you can read the various chapters and pictures and Calibre will even in some cases successfully convert the zip archive to an epub. Though in cases, only a chapter and not the whole book.

It does the same in 3 PCs. ADE is the latest version, 1.7.1.1085 and I'm using the latest files from pastebin with Python 2.6.2 & crypto 2.01 on Win XP prof.

regards, Howard

JSWolf
06-28-2009, 09:05 AM
I did successfully remove the DRM on the ePub eBook A Kids Guide to How to Save the Planet. Did not have a single error message. I am using some version Python 2.5.x and ineptepub version 2.

pthwaite
06-28-2009, 12:34 PM
Hmm, infuriating :)
I have 4 books, all giving the same error message, or a variation thereof. I've re-downloaded python and the other bits but the errors, on both windows machines are the same so I'm doing something dumb somewhere.

I assume you don't have to create or put the books in any special folder (as the programme asks you for the directory) and I assume you can call the output file any name you wish ie test.epub, though I've tried numerous combinations.

regards, Howard

JSWolf
06-28-2009, 12:45 PM
Hmm, infuriating :)
I have 4 books, all giving the same error message, or a variation thereof. I've re-downloaded python and the other bits but the errors, on both windows machines are the same so I'm doing something dumb somewhere.

I assume you don't have to create or put the books in any special folder (as the programme asks you for the directory) and I assume you can call the output file any name you wish ie test.epub, though I've tried numerous combinations.

regards, Howard
I just put the DRM free version in the same directory as the one with DRM. worked without a problem. What version of the script do you have?

pthwaite
06-28-2009, 01:06 PM
Jon,

Well I have the latest versions from the site. V2 of ineptepub and V3 of the key.
I've just uninstalled Python 2.6 and tried python 2.5 with the appropriate pycryptos and I still get identical problems.

As I say, changing the generated epub to a zip, one can see all the files and read them fine, but if you try to put them together, or read them directly, (a la Calibre or Stanza) there is obviously an error as it goes pear shaped.
B)(*&^ drm

Im beginning to think that the key script doesn't seem to work correctly with the ADE 1.7.1. (I've only just started using ADE so I don't have any earlier versions)

Running the scripts in the Python (Idle) mode, they both get to the end of the scripts with no "run" errors. However the decrypt one does still give errors with the output it produces.

pthwaite
06-29-2009, 02:33 PM
Issues solved with help from Leep. Now able to read my books at will again:)

JSWolf
06-29-2009, 02:36 PM
What was the problem?

desertgrandma
06-29-2009, 03:10 PM

Don't forget to give her Karma!! :)

pthwaite
06-29-2009, 05:16 PM
Jon,
The issue was, I generally use a MAC and so I got all the books from ADE on my MAC. I then installed the various bits and pieces under parallels in XP to register my Sony reader.

I ran the scripts etc in the windows environment and as described they appear to work.

But, I copied the books I'd downloaded from the MAC to the Windows ADE & of course it reads them fine. So, I then run the scripts on those books in the Windows ADE, with the results described.

So, after a PM from Leep, I re-downloaded the books into my Windows ADE and ran the scripts and everything now works.

I've no idea why the laptop route I tried didn't work though? Anyway I can now read my books on ALL my readers and PCs.

as far as I can tell, karma cannot be given from a PM unless I've missed something?

AshW
06-30-2009, 05:03 AM
I always seem to have problems with stuff like this.... but in this case it worked like a charm. Thanks!

dksather
06-30-2009, 11:16 AM
How does one give Karma to helping hands?

desertgrandma
06-30-2009, 11:38 AM
How does one give Karma to helping hands?

Look for the "karma" button at the bottom of the post you want to give karma to.

Click on it, and a window will open, with the amount of karma you are allowed to give.

The karma points you are allowed to give increases with the number of posts you make.

There is an option for any message you'd like to post. The receiver will be able to click on the post he was given karma for.

Kostas
07-06-2009, 08:54 AM
Works perfectly!!
Great Job, we ♥ u, i♥cabbages!!:thumbsup:

I bought a ePub ebook and converted it to lrf fromat which gives much better results on my PRS 505!
many many :thanks:

slayda
07-06-2009, 10:36 AM

And give "will" some karma too. :D

luxi106
07-07-2009, 11:02 PM
This Script worked sobeautifully thank you cabbages...

Xenophon
07-08-2009, 02:04 PM
The scripts I've been able to find (without looking very hard, though) all expect to run on Windows. Does anyone have a nicely packaged up set of scripts that run on Mac OS X?

Hints would be very welcome.

Xenophon

P.S. I remember some discussion about this long ago in this thread. I'm being lazy and asking for help because I have a paper deadline in under a week, and have no time to be more proactive. Sigh.

JSWolf
07-08-2009, 04:00 PM
The scripts I've been able to find (without looking very hard, though) all expect to run on Windows. Does anyone have a nicely packaged up set of scripts that run on Mac OS X?

Hints would be very welcome.

Xenophon

P.S. I remember some discussion about this long ago in this thread. I'm being lazy and asking for help because I have a paper deadline in under a week, and have no time to be more proactive. Sigh.
What you can try is registering ADE under Windows and OS X. Use Windows to get they key. Move the key file to OS X and use the script from there. That should work. I can't test this. But give it a go.

texasnightowl
07-10-2009, 08:24 PM
So I finally got around to using these files and I have a bright shiny new .DER file waiting on me to find something to test it with! Can anyone recommend a free or very low cast epub WITH DRM so I can test this? I saw a few pages back about one at BoB? But I haven't actually created an account there yet...are there any other sites with a free DRM'd epub? Are the sample files on Adobe's site DRM'd?

pilotbob
07-10-2009, 08:27 PM
So I finally got around to using these files and I have a bright shiny new .DER file waiting on me to find something to test it with! Can anyone recommend a free or very low cast epub WITH DRM so I can test this? I saw a few pages back about one at BoB? But I haven't actually created an account there yet...are there any other sites with a free DRM'd epub? Are the sample files on Adobe's site DRM'd?

Both FictionWise and BooksOnBoard.com have free DRMed documents for the purpose of testing that you can use the format selected. Look in the help section on the websites.

BOb

texasnightowl
07-10-2009, 08:53 PM
Both FictionWise and BooksOnBoard.com have free DRMed documents for the purpose of testing that you can use the format selected. Look in the help section on the websites.

BOb

I must have been overlooking them at FW. Went ahead and created an account at BoB - what's one more login to keep track of in RoboForm...already have hundreds!

Sydney's Mom
07-16-2009, 02:33 PM
My library just started listing Adobe epub. But my script no longer works to get them on my kindle. It says it has decrypted, but when I try to convert it to mobi, it fails. Any ideas?

Sydney's Mom
07-16-2009, 03:17 PM
Never Mind. Mobi doesn't read them, but Calibre converted great.

Jane A
07-23-2009, 03:59 PM
Have the scripts disappeared? I know I saw them awhile ago, but when I went back today to copy them I could not find them. :blink:

wallcraft
07-23-2009, 04:11 PM
Have the scripts disappeared? The script is called ineptepub.

Yahoo tends to search pastebin better than Google.

Jane A
07-23-2009, 05:03 PM
The script is called ineptepub.

Yahoo tends to search pastebin better than Google.

Thanks! I didn't know that about Yahoo!

Jane A
07-28-2009, 10:23 PM
I'm clearly missing something here, and now I see a book I'd love to have in epub, but I won't buy it unless I can figure out this script! Perhaps one of you kind people here can help me! Again. :)

I've got my key, and I've got the ineptepub script up and running so that the box comes up asking for the input and output files. This is where I run into trouble. I downloaded a free chapter of a book called HOT, so it reads as hot.epub in the My Digital Editions folder of My Documents. My script and my key are in python26, where all my other little scripts are.

When I specified hot.epub as the input file I got "Specified input directory does not exist". Then I moved a copy of hot.epub to the python26 folder (and press the key) and now the box just sits there doing nothing. Perhaps I should have things in different folder? I'm obviously doing something wrong, but I think I am so close to getting this!! :smack:

wallcraft
07-28-2009, 10:43 PM
I've got my key, and I've got the ineptepub script up and running so that the box comes up asking for the input and output files. Click on the box with 3 dots to bring up a file navigation window to select the input ebook and then do the same for the output ebook.

Jane A
07-28-2009, 10:56 PM
Click on the box with 3 dots to bring up a file navigation window to select the input ebook and then do the same for the output ebook.

I did that and I don't see the file? But when I go to Windows Explorer and look in the folders (at this point it's in both the Adobe Digital Editions folder and the Python26 folder) I can see it there. Why is it not showing up when I use the 3 dots?

Thank you!

pdurrant
07-29-2009, 10:01 AM
I can't find a DRMed ePUB sample at Books on Board. Do you ( or does anyone else) have a URL?

I'd like to make sure I can read ePUBs before buying any.

BOb

wallcraft
07-29-2009, 10:26 AM
I can't find a DRMed ePUB sample at Books on Board.
Their "free" Adobe test books are here (http://www.booksonboard.com/index.php?F=adobe_ebooks), but the ePub one isn't free. Maximum Ride by James Patterson (http://www.booksonboard.com/index.php?BODY=viewbook&BOOK=448435) is currently less than $1.

Jane A
07-29-2009, 10:45 AM
I can't find a DRMed ePUB sample at Books on Board. Do you ( or does anyone else) have a URL?

I'd like to make sure I can read ePUBs before buying any.

I found some free epub books here: http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/library/

AnemicOak
07-29-2009, 10:59 AM
BoB has a free DRM'd ePub here...

http://www.booksonboard.com/index.php?BODY=viewbook&BOOK=155959

pilotbob
07-29-2009, 11:01 AM
Their "free" Adobe test books are here (http://www.booksonboard.com/index.php?F=adobe_ebooks), but the ePub one isn't free. Maximum Ride by James Patterson (http://www.booksonboard.com/index.php?BODY=viewbook&BOOK=448435) is currently less than $1.

Here is a free test ePub at bob:

http://booksonboard.com/index.php?F=freeharl_ebooks

BOb

wallcraft
07-29-2009, 11:05 AM
Here is a free test ePub at bob:

http://booksonboard.com/index.php?F=freeharl_ebooks Harlequin ePubs appear to be DRM-free (no padlock under details). This is probably to allow Stanza to read them.

pdurrant
07-29-2009, 11:33 AM
Thank you - just what I was looking for. Downloaded and tested. Everything works fine.

By the time I work through my to-be-read pile, I'll probably be wanted ePUBs rather than Mobipocket, so it's good to have got things sorted out now.

Jane A
07-29-2009, 09:21 PM
Okay, let me try this again.

1) Is the only way to get the input file by using those three dashes?
2) If not, can I just input it myself, and if I did so would I have to use the full pathname (in my case it's c:\python26\book.epub)?
3) How can one find the output file using the three dashes if the output file hasn't been generated yet?

I can tell that I am not getting something quite obvious. Which is not surprising since I'm not computer savvy at all. I'm probably not going away until I get this figured out, so be forewarned I could become a pest. :help:

wallcraft
07-29-2009, 11:24 PM
1) Is the only way to get the input file by using those three dashes?
2) If not, can I just input it myself, and if I did so would I have to use the full pathname (in my case it's c:\python26\book.epub)?
3) How can one find the output file using the three dashes if the output file hasn't been generated yet? You should be able to enter the filename manually, but it would need to be the full pathname. Note that the 3 dots approach will remember which folder you last selected and will come up in the same place, so it is worth navigating to that folder. For the output, you can select the folder via the 3 dots and then enter the filename manually. I normally also select the filename from the existing files (the same one as the input) but then edit the name before hitting SAVE.

Jane A
07-30-2009, 12:59 AM
You should be able to enter the filename manually, but it would need to be the full pathname. Note that the 3 dots approach will remember which folder you last selected and will come up in the same place, so it is worth navigating to that folder. For the output, you can select the folder via the 3 dots and then enter the filename manually. I normally also select the filename from the existing files (the same one as the input) but then edit the name before hitting SAVE.

Okay, that worked for me. I am still a bit confused, since what you're describing is not exactly what I encountered, but I guess if I get the job done I won't quibble! So, thank you, thank you, thank you! :happybounce:

peterbb69
08-05-2009, 11:36 AM
I keep getting this error message when trying to decrypt an epub file I purchased from diesel-ebooks.com.
What does it mean, am I doing something wrong?
If I send the key and epub file to someone can they try to decrypt it for me.
Thanks.

AxelK
08-08-2009, 10:15 AM
I recently got the error message "not an ADEPT EPUB" when trying to decrypt the epub file.
The problem is that the epub archive no longer contains the file "META-INF/rights.xml", which normally contains the encrypted book key. It seems Adobe has changed their encryption mechanism :-(

Since Adobe Digital Edition 1.7.1 can open and decrypt my book (even when I'm offline), the question is, where is the book key? If we knew this, we could fix the script. I looked into "Application Data\Adobe\Digital Editions", but couldn't find anything.
If anybody knows more, I'd like to hear it :-)

wallcraft
08-08-2009, 10:37 AM
I recently got the error message "not an ADEPT EPUB" when trying to decrypt the epub file. This is the message you get when trying to strip the DRM from a DRM-free ePub. Are you sure the ebook is encrypted? If so, it will have a META-INF/encryption.xml file and won't be readable by Calibre or FBReader.

AxelK
08-08-2009, 10:48 AM
Exactly! encryption.xml, but no rights.xml and Calibre can't open it.
Furthermore, a quick look into the other xml files shows, that they are indeed encrypted. encryption.xml looks normal (i.e. no sign of the book key there).

MerLock
08-08-2009, 01:31 PM

Interesting. Is that book really DRM'ed? I see the padlock under details but I was able to open this book on my digital editions, which isn't authorized.

cybook_gen3
08-10-2009, 07:52 AM
I keep getting this error message when trying to decrypt an epub file I purchased from diesel-ebooks.com.
What does it mean, am I doing something wrong?
If I send the key and epub file to someone can they try to decrypt it for me.
Thanks.

I just get the same error message :
1) I extract the key with ineptkey.pyw (v3) and get an adeptkey.der file of 608 bytes
2) Then I try to remove the DRM from the epub file with ineptpdf.pyw (v2)
3) And it fails with the error : "Error : Unexpected EOF"
The message occurs on nextline() function with linepos variable value 970.630.
The ebook is 970.691 bytes long.

Some informations on the ebook :
- I bought it 2 days ago from a French retailer
- and I can read it both on my PC and on my MAC with ADE 1.7.1
- I don't want to activate my Opus device, so I can't read it on the Opus

By the way, the ineptpdf.pyw script only proposes to list PDF files, not the epub ones. Is this the normal behavior ?

AxelK
08-10-2009, 07:58 AM
How can you decrypt an epub file with ineptpdf.pyw ?
As the name implies, it is therefor PDF files and in the file selector box also only allows to select PDF files. You should use ineptepub.pyw.

cybook_gen3
08-10-2009, 08:03 AM
How can you decrypt an epub file with ineptpdf.pyw ?
As the name implies, it is therefor PDF files and in the file selector box also only allows to select PDF files. You should use ineptepub.pyw.

You're right, but it wasn't so clear on http://i-u2665-cabbages.blogspot.com/2009/02/circumventing-adobe-adept-drm-for-epub.html

Where can I find ineptepub.pyw ?

NOTE TO MYSELF :
I should stop asking questions where the answer is easy to find on google ;;;

moespook
08-19-2009, 06:10 PM
Hi there,

I'm new here and found mobiread forum searching for a way to read an drm'ed epub ebook I accidentally bought on my bebook. After having spend 2 nights reading through this topic and trying different stuff and not being succesfull I finally managed it! I'm very proud of myself as I'm not exactly a computer wiz :) Thanks for having all the info which helped me.:thanks:

krischik
08-20-2009, 02:29 AM
NOTE TO MYSELF :
I should stop asking questions where the answer is easy to find on google ;;;

Actually I don't think it is all that easy to get hold of the files. Pastebin regularly deletes them. There is a torrent - but no official tracker any more. Only If you google for the exact file name or the torrent hash then you might strike it lucky.

Martin

EMR
08-22-2009, 11:54 PM
I don't know how to use scripts and/or command prompt.

I purchased an ebook online and I can't get Adobe digital edition to open it.

Could anyone help out the cmd.exe inept like myself?

I've downloaded the python stuff......but?

pilotbob
08-23-2009, 01:58 AM
I don't know how to use scripts and/or command prompt.

I purchased an ebook online and I can't get Adobe digital edition to open it.

Could anyone help out the cmd.exe inept like myself?

I've downloaded the python stuff......but?

Of course, if you can't open the ebook in ADE I don't think INEPT can help you? What happens when you try to read in in ADE on your PC?

BOb

wallcraft
08-23-2009, 09:43 AM
I don't know how to use scripts and/or command prompt. A big advantage of .pyw scripts is that they don't need the command line. I suggest copying the ineptkey and ineptepub scripts into your ebook directory, they should show up with the yellow and blue python icon (if not, first install python). Just run them via the mouse as you would any other Windows application.

As pilotbob said, it will only work if you have a functioning Adobe Digital Editions and ebooks that ADE can read.

EMR
08-23-2009, 04:26 PM
Of course, if you can't open the ebook in ADE I don't think INEPT can help you? What happens when you try to read in in ADE on your PC?

BOb
Thanks for replying pilotbob. Here's the short version of it. I purchased an ebook from an online store. I needed to download Adobe DE to read it. So I downloaded the link from the bookstore and used ADE to actually download the entire book. Everything worked fine and I could view the book with ADE on my desktop. Then I tried to DL the book on my laptop and I installed ADE on that also. But I couldn't open the ebook because I had to "authorize" both ADE editions for the desktop and laptop. So after uninstalling/reinstalling ADE about 20 times on both computers, I've managed to not read the book on either computer. :smack:

I've been emailing the bookstore for more than 10 days. It's been a nightmare. I have the actual book in pdf format (around 3200 KB). I just thought if I could crack the DRM so I don't need ADE, I could actually read the thing on multiple computers.

If you can help, I'd much appreciate it.

EMR

EMR
08-23-2009, 04:32 PM
A big advantage of .pyw scripts is that they don't need the command line. I suggest copying the ineptkey and ineptepub scripts into your ebook directory, they should show up with the yellow and blue python icon (if not, first install python). Just run them via the mouse as you would any other Windows application.

As pilotbob said, it will only work if you have a functioning Adobe Digital Editions and ebooks that ADE can read.
I don't think that the ADE will read the book, as I explained above. I was always getting the "error getting license" message anytime the book would try and dowload.

I was just googling "how to remove DRM on Adobe digital editions ebooks" and I came across this forum. Sam the Eagle, seemed to have given the explicit detailed step by step instructions as to how to accomplish this on this post:
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=360580&postcount=81

but the important stuff was deleted per forum rules. That's exactly what I need.

pdurrant
08-23-2009, 05:19 PM
Without an installed version of ADE that can read your book, you can't use the tools mentioned to remove the DRM.

This is because the tools do not break the encryption - they just permanently decrypt the book using the decoding key.

Without a working ADE installation, you can't get the key used to decode the book, and so can't use the decrypting script.

You'll have to throw yourself on the bookstores mercy - it sounds to me like you deleted the installation with the key that was used in downloading your book, and you'll have to re-download it with a new installation.

I don't think that the ADE will read the book, as I explained above. I was always getting the "error getting license" message anytime the book would try and dowload.

I was just googling "how to remove DRM on Adobe digital editions ebooks" and I came across this forum. Sam the Eagle, seemed to have given the explicit detailed step by step instructions as to how to accomplish this on this post:
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=360580&postcount=81

but the important stuff was deleted per forum rules. That's exactly what I need.

pilotbob
08-23-2009, 11:25 PM
Thanks for replying pilotbob. Here's the short version of it. I purchased an ebook from an online store. I needed to download Adobe DE to read it. So I downloaded the link from the bookstore and used ADE to actually download the entire book. Everything worked fine and I could view the book with ADE on my desktop. Then I tried to DL the book on my laptop and I installed ADE on that also. But I couldn't open the ebook because I had to "authorize" both ADE editions for the desktop and laptop. So after uninstalling/reinstalling ADE about 20 times on both computers, I've managed to not read the book on either computer. :smack:

Are you authorizing ADE to the same Adobe ID that you originally installed it with? Or did you create a new ID.

Keep in mind, your Adobe ID is sort of like the "password" to the ebook. If you install ADE and authorize it to a different account you would be able to read that ebook. It "may" work if you re-download it from the store with the newly authorized ADE, but the store may not allow that. This is because it would look like you are trying to use the same purchase with two Adobe ID's and that is basically a violation of the one ID/user for the book.

BOb

EMR
08-24-2009, 12:28 AM
Are you authorizing ADE to the same Adobe ID that you originally installed it with? Or did you create a new ID.

Keep in mind, your Adobe ID is sort of like the "password" to the ebook. If you install ADE and authorize it to a different account you would be able to read that ebook. It "may" work if you re-download it from the store with the newly authorized ADE, but the store may not allow that. This is because it would look like you are trying to use the same purchase with two Adobe ID's and that is basically a violation of the one ID/user for the book.

BOb
I first downloaded the ebook on my desktop. I installed ADE and opened the book on the desktop. However, I didn't authorize the computer. Then I was thinking I could just copy the .acsm link that I downloaded from the bookstore onto my flash drive and open the ebook on my laptop. So that's exactly what I did. But, after I downloaded ADE on my laptop--I kept on getting "error getting license" every time I tried to open the ebook. But then I authorized the laptop ADE. I still get the same "error getting license" message. Then I authorized the desktop ADE--so both ADE were synchronized. That was still bad because the desktop allowed me to read it, but the laptop didn't.

Then, as I've been emailing the bookstore, I've installed and reinstalled ADE on both machines about 20 times. BUT yes, both ADE's were authorized. But during one of the re-installations of ADE on the desktop, I did something that canceled the viewing of the ebook.

I've emailed the ebook store and I've got a fresh download coming tomorrow. Therefore, I will uninstall my desktop ADE and try it again. I have a feeling I'm going to start back at square 1 though.

pilotbob
08-24-2009, 01:26 AM
I first downloaded the ebook on my desktop. I installed ADE and opened the book on the desktop. However, I didn't authorize the computer. Then I was thinking I could just copy the .acsm link that I downloaded from the bookstore onto my flash drive and open the ebook on my laptop.

Well, there's your problem right there. The .acsm is NOT the ebook... it is the file that ADE opens which has info on where to d/l the ebook from the ebook store. It sends that info along with your Adobe ID, the ebook store encrypts the ebook with/for your adobe ID and sends the ebook back to ADE.... That gets stored "somewhere" on your PC... I don't know off hand, I don't really use ADE that much and never bought an ebook with it.

That said, is there a reason you don't just connect your reader to your computer, open ADE and send the book to your reader using ADE?

Other than that, you have to find the actual ebook file, it probably has a .pdf or .epub extension. (It that is wrong I am sure someone here will correct me.)

BOb

EMR
08-24-2009, 02:59 AM
That said, is there a reason you don't just connect your reader to your computer, open ADE and send the book to your reader using ADE?
I have nothing to connect to my computer. I'm not using any secondary or portable devices. Everything is being done on the computer itself.

Other than that, you have to find the actual ebook file, it probably has a .pdf or .epub extension. (It that is wrong I am sure someone here will correct me.)
Yes. I did find that under "my digital editions" folder. It's a .pdf file (3900 KB) and I found them on my desktop. When I try to open those files, it says that it can't open them with Adobe acrobat and directs me to the ADE instead. But, of course, I can't view it with that either.

So, I just downloaded the .acsm file from the bookstore again. I tried opening the ebook on my laptop---yes, the ADE was authorized--and here is what I get again:

Error getting license
License server communication problem: E_LIC_ALREADY_FULFILLED_BY_ANOTHER_USER

See, it's an unwinnable situation. :eek:

pdurrant
08-24-2009, 04:22 AM
I'm guessing that the problem here is that you first downloaded the book with an unauthorised copy of ADE, and so it's tied to that particular (no longer present) installation, not to your Adobe ID.

Somehow you need to get the bookstore to allow a re-download of a new version.

NB This will cost them money, as they have to pay Adobe for every book that gets authorised by the Adobe servers.

I have nothing to connect to my computer. I'm not using any secondary or portable devices. Everything is being done on the computer itself.

Yes. I did find that under "my digital editions" folder. It's a .pdf file (3900 KB) and I found them on my desktop. When I try to open those files, it says that it can't open them with Adobe acrobat and directs me to the ADE instead. But, of course, I can't view it with that either.

So, I just downloaded the .acsm file from the bookstore again. I tried opening the ebook on my laptop---yes, the ADE was authorized--and here is what I get again:

Error getting license

See, it's an unwinnable situation. :eek:

tompe
08-24-2009, 08:00 AM
I'm guessing that the problem here is that you first downloaded the book with an unauthorised copy of ADE, and so it's tied to that particular (no longer present) installation, not to your Adobe ID.

Somehow you need to get the bookstore to allow a re-download of a new version.

NB This will cost them money, as they have to pay Adobe for every book that gets authorised by the Adobe servers.

Does that mean that you cannot read an ADE book on two computers?

And what happens when you buy a new computer or when your hard disk crashes and you do a reinstall of everything?

pdurrant
08-24-2009, 09:18 AM
If you authorise ADE with your Adobe ID, books downloaded to it will also work with any other ADE authorised with your Adobe ID. In this way, you can install ADE on Windows, authorise, extract your secret, and thereafter only use ADE on Macintosh and still be able to strip the DRM.

I think. I haven't finished fully testing this yet.

And what happens when you buy a new computer or when your hard disk crashes and you do a reinstall of everything?

pilotbob
08-24-2009, 10:19 AM

No... when he means "re-download" I am pretty sure he means re-encrypt the book. Apparently right now it is encrypted for an ID other than the one being used.

Although, I didn't know that ADE would d/l books if you didn't register an Adobe ID.

BOb

tompe
08-24-2009, 10:48 AM
No... when he means "re-download" I am pretty sure he means re-encrypt the book. Apparently right now it is encrypted for an ID other than the one being used.

Although, I didn't know that ADE would d/l books if you didn't register an Adobe ID.

BOb

So can I have ADE installed withe the same ID on 100 computers?

If you loose your ID do you loose your books when switching to a newer computer?

pilotbob
08-24-2009, 10:50 AM
So can I have ADE installed withe the same ID on 100 computers?

If you loose your ID do you loose your books when switching to a newer computer?

No not 100, I think you can have 6 or 7 devices registered to your ID. When moving to a new computer you should de-authorize the old one. (If it crashes and you aren't able to you can contact tech support and they can do it for you.)

If you loose your ID/Password (forget it) you are in trouble. Keep it in a safe place and don't forget it.

BOb

tompe
08-24-2009, 11:05 AM
No not 100, I think you can have 6 or 7 devices registered to your ID. When moving to a new computer you should de-authorize the old one. (If it crashes and you aren't able to you can contact tech support and they can do it for you.)

OK.

Can you authorize more than one ID on one account on a computer? Can I visit a friend and authorize ADE for my books and read them and de-authorize when I leave?

6-7 devices seems to be a bit limiting nowadays. If you have 1-3 eInk readers and then a 1-3 laptops and than your stationary computers.

adullday
08-24-2009, 11:13 AM
According to Adobe you get 6 authorizations. Usually under DRM you get one of your authorizations back when you deauthorize your device (using the super secret SHIFT-CTRL-D in ADE), but for some baffling reason Adobe doesn't do this (according to an Adobe staff member on the ADE forums).

Once you run out of authorizations you would need to open a support ticket to Adobe to have additional authorizations added.

There are outright horror stories about Adobe support for ADE on their forums. If you ever get into that situation your best bet would be to go through the proper channels, and when they fail, beg one of the Adobe staff who read the forums for help.

pilotbob
08-24-2009, 11:13 AM
Can you authorize more than one ID on one account on a computer?

No, it can only be authorized to 1 account at a time.

Can I visit a friend and authorize ADE for my books and read them and de-authorize when I leave?

I think the answer is yes. But, you would have to have his account in order to de-auth his computer from his account.

6-7 devices seems to be a bit limiting nowadays. If you have 1-3 eInk readers and then a 1-3 laptops and than your stationary computers.

I think the number comes from the content providers. I know Sony and Kindle both have the same 6ish device limit.

Also, this is from the Adobe FAQ which I assume is the issue the OP is having:

Important: If you authorize your computer with an Adobe ID, then it will always be associated with that Adobe ID. If you do not, the account is "anonymous". If you "anonymously" activate two computers, then there are two separate anonymous accounts, which cannot be merged. Thus, the eBooks on one computer can be upgraded to "belong" to a specific Adobe ID, but the eBooks on the other cannot. If you authorize the second computer with your Adobe ID, any subsequent purchases on it are associated with that ID and transferable to any computer authorized with that ID. However, the books that were purchased on the second computer prior to being activated are forever locked to that computer.

Here is the full FAQ: http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/faq/

BOb

adullday
08-24-2009, 11:21 AM
One sneaky way to keep a backup of your activations is to create a virtual machine using VMware Server or Player, activate it there, and save the image to a DVD-R. But you'll probably have to get another copy of Windows or you'll run into problems with Microsoft's copy protection that might deactivate the whole darn OS.

I'm not being very helpful, am I?

Mac users should keep a backup of the "Digital Editions" folder which is buried in their Library folder in their home directories.

EMR
08-24-2009, 12:32 PM
Okay folks---pilotbob and everyone else.

I don't want to proceed any further until I get advice from you guys.

I have a new download link from the bookstore.

I have deleted (uninstalled) Adobe digital editions from both my desktop and laptop.

I still have the same adobe ID, as far as I know.

What's my next step?

:help:

@tompe---Man, this adobe DE is simply a nightmare. I only bought one book for $11.00. Drop in the bucket, but I've read the forums for people who have spent hundreds of dollars that completely void their books.

pdurrant
08-24-2009, 12:46 PM
Make sure you activate your installed copy of ADE with your Adobe ID before proceeding.

Okay folks---pilotbob and everyone else.

I don't want to proceed any further until I get advice from you guys.

I have a new download link from the bookstore.

I have deleted (uninstalled) Adobe digital editions from both my desktop and laptop.

I still have the same adobe ID, as far as I know.

What's my next step?

:help:

@tompe---Man, this adobe DE is simply a nightmare. I only bought one book for $11.00. Drop in the bucket, but I've read the forums for people who have spent hundreds of dollars that completely void their books.

wallcraft
08-24-2009, 01:04 PM
What's my next step?

I suggest following Books on Board - Adobe Digital Editions Installation (http://www.booksonboard.com/index.php?F=helpAdobeSoftware). Note the last step is to authorize this computer with your AdobeID.

The complicating factor is that you have already done this once, but I think you have to try again and see what happens.

Once both your laptop and your desktop have been authorized to the same account, then download the ebook using one of them (and confirm that it can be read on both). The actual ebook with be .epub (or .pdf), and this is what you copy between the two computers.

EMR
08-24-2009, 01:49 PM
Well, my first step of downloading and installing ADE has not worked out. After I installed ADE, I went to try and authorize the program and it was already authorized to my email address. I'm assuming the prior cookies/passwords or whatever hasn't reset.

So, so far nothing is good. I guess I'll download the book now.

EMR
08-24-2009, 01:57 PM
Well, so much for that round #75

Look what I got:

Error getting license

I shot off another email. We'll see what they say again.

pilotbob
08-24-2009, 02:06 PM
Well, my first step of downloading and installing ADE has not worked out. After I installed ADE, I went to try and authorize the program and it was already authorized to my email address. I'm assuming the prior cookies/passwords or whatever hasn't reset.

So, so far nothing is good. I guess I'll download the book now.

Yes, I am guessing that uninstalling the app doesn't remove the authorization info. It is probably stored in the registry somewhere.

Do you only have 1 book? Can you try to get/buy another one? Maybe the store you are using has a free test one?

Here is a link to free ones of Booksonboard meant for testing.

http://www.booksonboard.com/index.php?F=helpAdobeEbook

BOb

EMR
08-24-2009, 02:22 PM
Do you only have 1 book? Can you try to get/buy another one? Maybe the store you are using has a free test one
Yes, they have a test book. And I've downloaded that thing also. I was able to read it. It was successful, that's why the lady I've been emailing felt confident that I would be able to view the ebook.

But as I'm writing this post, I'm on the phone with Adobe technical support.

Is there any way I can remove the ADE from my computer completely, even the registry and all that garbage?

just in case.

pilotbob
08-24-2009, 04:11 PM
Is there any way I can remove the ADE from my computer completely, even the registry and all that garbage?

I don't know... but either way I don't understand what you expect that will accomplish? You aren't going to create another Adobe ID are you? That will just make things worse.

I am pretty sure the issue is that when you bought the book you are having trouble it was done as an anonymous user before you authorized your computer to your Adobe ID.

See this from the ADE faq:

Important: If you authorize your computer with an Adobe ID, then it will always be associated with that Adobe ID. If you do not, the account is "anonymous". If you "anonymously" activate two computers, then there are two separate anonymous accounts, which cannot be merged. Thus, the eBooks on one computer can be upgraded to "belong" to a specific Adobe ID, but the eBooks on the other cannot. If you authorize the second computer with your Adobe ID, any subsequent purchases on it are associated with that ID and transferable to any computer authorized with that ID. However, the books that were purchased on the second computer prior to being activated are forever locked to that computer.

If that is the case... the only think you can hope for is that the store you bought the ebook for will give you your money back and let you repurchase/download it.

BOb

doreenjoy
08-24-2009, 06:21 PM
I can hardly wait to buy an EPUB from the Sony store and see if this little gem from I Heart Cabbages will work on it.

Leep
08-24-2009, 11:56 PM
You can also download drm'd epub books directly from the Adobe Digital Editions site and use them for a test. That's what I did before I purchased an epub format book

cheers

doreenjoy
08-25-2009, 01:19 AM
You can also download drm'd epub books directly from the Adobe Digital Editions site and use them for a test. That's what I did before I purchased an epub format book

cheers

Yes, but I'm wondering if Sony will do their own DRM on EPUB and not use Adobe's. Not likely, I know, but possible.

ETA: I saw on the Sony site that the EPUB DRM is Adobe. :)

krischik
08-25-2009, 01:44 AM

Depends on the shop. I once got a free eBook as goodie with an pBook. And that could only be read on one computer. Loose that computer and bye bye eBook.

I wrote then to tell them that under this condition I would never buy any eBooks with them.

And for a long time I thought that Adobe eBooks must be avoided at all cost. Now I know it is not quite as bad.

See this from the ADE faq:

This is horrible - how can they let the user run in such a trap!

Martin

EMR
08-25-2009, 07:57 AM
If that is the case... the only think you can hope for is that the store you bought the ebook for will give you your money back and let you repurchase/download it.

BOb
I talked to adobe and that's exactly what the tech told me. I've emailed the bookstore and I've asked them to give me a fresh feed. But she's convinced that I haven't activated both id's. We'll see what she says.

Skydog
08-25-2009, 11:22 PM
EMR-

One small point - when you say "download" in all your previous posts, be sure you are selecting "open" ( not save) which will import the book to ADE.

Then proceed with your task at hand...

Chipmunk
08-26-2009, 03:27 AM

cheers

I have failed to find any drm'd epub books on Adobe Digital Editions site. Could someone please point direct link?

soilwork
08-26-2009, 03:41 AM
I hav failed to find any drm'd epub books on Adobe Digital Editions site. Could someone please point direct link?
Booksonboard website has one free epub book with DRM and I think you can use this book instead.
http://www.booksonboard.com/index.php?BODY=viewbook&BOOK=155959&v=buynow

EMR
08-26-2009, 04:35 AM
EMR-

One small point - when you say "download" in all your previous posts, be sure you are selecting "open" ( not save) which will import the book to ADE.

Then proceed with your task at hand...
Thanks, but I tried to open with Adobe Digital, instead of just save file. And I got the same exact result.

It looks as if the bookstore lady is not returning my emails for some reason.

She is still convinced that both my Adobe Id's are not synchronized.

I'm stuck.

pdurrant
08-26-2009, 05:42 AM
It sounds like she's mis-understood your situation. Try this line of explanation:

"I downloaded the book to an unauthorised installation of ADE.

I deleted that installation, installed a fresh copy and authorised it.

I now cannot read my book. Please refund the book purchase so that I can buy it again and download it with my authorised copy of ADE."

Any mention of other machines will lead to the synchronisation red herring. The problem isn't that you can't read the book on both machines, it's that you can't read it on the original machine. Keep it simple when talking to customer support.

Once you have it downloaded on an authorised machine you'll be able to transfer it to other machines with ADE authorised with the same Adobe ID.

Thanks, but I tried to open with Adobe Digital, instead of just save file. And I got the same exact result.

It looks as if the bookstore lady is not returning my emails for some reason.

She is still convinced that both my Adobe Id's are not synchronized.

I'm stuck.

EMR
08-26-2009, 08:53 AM
I know you have a problem downloading pictures via email, so I've borrowed this post space for you to see what I've been doing.

I have downloaded the "fresh" link that you've given me. Just to show you what I've been doing--I've attached the screen captures of my desktop when I try and download your ebook.

This is what happens when I try and download the "fresh" link on my desktop. I've numbered the pictures in sequence of order---numbers 1 through 5.

Once again, this is my desktop and the ADE is authorized with my adobe ID as evidenced by #1.

Number 1
http://img17.imageshack.us/i/8252009100854am.jpg/
Here is the ADE already authorized under my Adobe ID

Number 2
http://img19.imageshack.us/i/8252009101217am.jpg/
Here is the download page from your website. I click on the click to download button for the Forgotten Man

Number 3
http://img19.imageshack.us/i/8252009101322am.jpg/
Here's the download box that automatically opens up.

Number 4
http://img14.imageshack.us/i/8252009101402am.jpg/
This is the first thing I see on the ADE when I try and open the forgotten man. I click OK.

Number 5
http://img14.imageshack.us/i/8252009101440am.jpg/
And this is the message that I keep getting.

Please let me know.

EMR
08-26-2009, 09:01 AM
I suppose I should ask the moderators on the forum first, but would it be alright if I had my customer service rep from the bookstore view the post above. This isn't technically a "crack" or illegal thread is it?

just wondering.

pilotbob
08-26-2009, 01:33 PM
I suppose I should ask the moderators on the forum first, but would it be alright if I had my customer service rep from the bookstore view the post above. This isn't technically a "crack" or illegal thread is it?

just wondering.

I'm sure what PDURRANT told you is exactally the issue. Are you willing to buy another book from them?

BOb

EMR
08-26-2009, 06:46 PM
Okay guys. I emailed her exactly what pdurrant told me to write. I kept it simple.

"I downloaded the book to an unauthorized installation of ADE.

I deleted that installation, installed a fresh copy and authorized it.

I now cannot read my book. Please refund the book purchase so that I can buy
it again and download it with my authorized copy of ADE."

And here is her reply:

Work with me here! You are not following the instructions and therefore causing the licensing problem.

I have written in caps below, not because I am shouting, but I want to distinguish your typing versus mine. :-)

As you said:
Tamara,

I'm going to try this:

"I downloaded the book to an unauthorized installation of ADE."

THE BOOK WAS THEN TIED TO THE ANONYMOUS ID YOU OPENED IT TO.

"I deleted that installation, installed a fresh copy and authorized it."

ONCE YOU DOWNLOADED THE BOOK TO THE AUTHORIZED COPY OF ADOBE DE, YOU OPENED THE BOOK WITH A 2ND ADOBE ID.

"I now cannot read my book. Please refund the book purchase so that I can buy
it again and download it with my authorized copy of ADE."

YOU ARE AUTHORIZING ADOBE DE, NOT THE BOOK ITSELF DOES THIS MAKE SENSE?

Before I sent another new feed (and pay for it), you need to ensure a free test book works on the machine. there is no need to authorize and redownload and authorize adobe DE. Do it once and then it works.

I have not shown her the link to my picture post yet, because I haven't received permission from the moderators.

But what should I reply to her now.

AnemicOak
08-26-2009, 08:24 PM

Did you do as she asked an download the free test book? Did that one work? I can understand them not wanting to do a 'new feed' as they call it until they know you have ADE working properly.

If you have done that and it and the test file works then reply with that info and it sounds like they'll take care of redoing the one you bought.

Chipmunk
08-27-2009, 08:00 AM
Booksonboard website has one free epub book with DRM and I think you can use this book instead.
http://www.booksonboard.com/index.php?BODY=viewbook&BOOK=155959&v=buynow

Thanks, you saved me.
They made it non-free, so searching for new book to further testing.)

JSWolf
08-27-2009, 08:40 AM
Do you have a local library that supports ePub via Overdrive?

pdurrant
08-27-2009, 08:59 AM

It seems to me that she's (pretty near) agreed to set you up with a new book, once you've checked that you're now happy with your installation my downloading a free DRMed ePUB.

So do then, and then say that you've done so.

The book I downloaded from BooksOnBoard as a test is no longer free. Try writign to support to find out which is their current free DRM ePUB book. support@booksonboard.com

AnemicOak
08-27-2009, 10:15 AM
Looks like they're charging for the epub book they have listed for testing now, but they do have a couple of PDF test books that are still free and should at least allow the testing of if all is right with the ADE authorization.

http://www.booksonboard.com/index.php?BODY=viewbook&BOOK=160710&v=buynow
http://www.booksonboard.com/index.php?BODY=viewbook&BOOK=238073&v=buynow

EMR
08-27-2009, 12:07 PM
Someone from the adobe forums emailed this to me. Does it make any sense?

1) If you created an Adobe ID after the installation was completed (and after downloading books) the documents that existed before are tied to the"Unauthorized" computer activation - or if you changed your Adobe ID mid-way through - thus when you active the Adobe ID the following error will occur:

Error - Document is licensed for a Different User Account (Un-license your machine by removing the Adobe ID via: ctrl+shift+D)
** This fix was provided by another user who also was on this forum previously (Thank you)

Also be aware that Adobe Digital Editions does clearly tell the user "when they Activate" the Adobe ID - Confirmation request appears and "Warns" that if any documents are associated to the Ditital Editions Library on the Computer - they will no longer be readable. - It prompts for "replacement" - once you do this - your documents are no longer usable.

2) For the User who has uninstalled and re-installed and continues to receive errors - there is a reason behind it - the software does not cleanly remove all pieces from the machine - thus just "uninstalling" the software is not enough - the following procedure was written for Windows machines.

If your trying to matain previous downloads of EPUB / EBOOKS - complete a back-up of your files
- Back up your documents that are located in the c:\data\My Digital Editions or c:\my documents\My Digital Editions (in some cases you may have to search for the My Digital Editions directory -

1) Uninstall Adobe Digital Editions using one of these two methods:
Start > Programs > Adobe > Adobe Digital Editions >Uninstall
OR
Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add Remove Programs

2) Initiate Uninstall
In order to remove all remenants of Adobe Digital Editions / Adobe Adept from the machine a "Registry Edit" will need to be
performed:
Start > Run > Regedit
Search for HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Adobe> Adept and Delete the full "Adept" folder
Remove only the structures that are under the "SOFTWARE" extensions. This will remove the Adobe ID / License
and Activation Keys

3) Clear any outstanding tasks that may be associated to Adobe Digital Editions downloads
C:\data\my digital editions
C:\my documents\my digital editions
Delete any documents within these folders: Restore > Tasks Restore > Failed
4) Delete all items in the Recycle Bin on the computer - and Reboot the machine

5) Re-install Adobe Digital Editions by obtaining the Download Adobe Digital Editions 1.7.1 Installer
for Windows from documents - kb403051 (which is the digitaleditions1x7x1.exe installer) - After locating the fix document - download the *exe file to your local computer

6) Install from the location machine - running the *exe - Take all the defaults (do not change any of the installation settings). Once digital editions installation is completed - Open Digital editions and the Setup Assistant will pop-up - This time utilize the "Do Not Authorize" option on the Setup Assistant

7) After the installation has completed on the machine - take the EBooks / PDF's and place them back into the My Digital Editions directory

Open Digital Editions and click on the "Library" > Add Item to Library - This will default to the My Digital Editions directory - Select a book to add to the library - Validate that the file will open.

EMR
08-30-2009, 01:15 PM
Okay, I've finally got my ADE to read my ebook. Now that I've got that out of the way, how do I get rid of this DRM/adebt lock on it?

:book2:

edembowski
08-30-2009, 01:20 PM
Go ahead and lookk for the ineptepub python scripts on google and follow the instructions.

- Ed

Jane A
08-30-2009, 09:36 PM
If you have trouble finding it, I searched using yahoo with better luck.

Jane A

EMR
08-31-2009, 07:56 AM
I couldn't find whatever program it is on google or yahoo.

JSWolf
08-31-2009, 08:15 AM
Just for the heck of it, I did try Yahoo and it seems version 2 is gone.

Jane A
08-31-2009, 10:05 AM

You're looking for a python script. Look for it under Python Pastebin. I did find v.3 when I looked just now. I don't think we can post links here for it.

Have you read through this post thoroughly? It contains lots of hints. Also, you might want to read the two ereader2html threads for more info on using python. Here they are:
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27979
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20407

I'm a total noob idiot, with limited computer skills, but even for people like me there is lots of good info to be gleaned from these posts. Then when you run into specific problems people here are very helpful.

Jane A
08-31-2009, 10:06 AM
Just for the heck of it, I did try Yahoo and it seems version 2 is gone.

I'm curious, isn't it better to use v3? I did just find it.

JSWolf
08-31-2009, 10:32 AM
I'm curious, isn't it better to use v3? I did just find it.
V3 is a modified version 2. I don't know if it works or how well.

Also, you'll need the script to get the key as well. And to get the key, it has to be run on a Windows system.

edembowski
08-31-2009, 01:52 PM
If you google for 'DRM-Removal-Package inept torrent' you should find what you need.

Kostas
09-01-2009, 04:00 AM
V3 is a modified version 2. I don't know if it works or how well.

The V3 I found (several weeks ago) works fine. The difference I found with V2 is that it processes a whole directory (all ePubs in it) at once and not just one file.

krischik
09-01-2009, 10:11 AM

Try reading this thread (http://www.mobipocket.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16292) on Mobipocket - it gets more interesting to the end.

Martin

PS: That it has not bee censored says a lot about the current state of Mobipocket.

Kostas
09-01-2009, 10:24 AM
PS: That it has not bee censored says a lot about the current state of Mobipocket.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Thanks a lot btw...

edembowski
09-04-2009, 06:25 AM

Wow, that's amazing. Step by step instructions on how to remove Amazon's encryption right on one of Amazon's site.

- Ed

krischik
09-05-2009, 01:47 PM
Wow, that's amazing. Step by step instructions on how to remove Amazon's encryption right on one of Amazon's site.

And It's there for week now - and nothing happen. Mind you there is SPAM a month old and not being removed as well.

It amazes me no end. We all know that Amazon wants to get rid of Mobipocket - but one should do so in an orderly fashion - and that includes not leaving your company forums unmoderated.

Also there are still more links telling customers to use the forum for support then there are links telling them to use the new e-mail / web form.

As it is Amazon has closed / outsourced Mobipocket customer service without proper planning. Or better: no planning at all. From the outside, looking onto it, it looks all so amateurish.

And then there is the 1984 disaster. For a while I thought Amazon turned evil, but now I revised my opinion. Now I rather think they just turned stupid. Honestly Dr. Evil (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Evil) and Dr. D (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Drakken) conceive better plans.

texasnightowl
09-05-2009, 06:13 PM
Command line possible?

Sorry if I missed this somewhere, but is it possible to run ineptepub from the command line and feed it the infile and outfile arguments?

JSWolf
09-06-2009, 08:53 AM
Command line possible?

Sorry if I missed this somewhere, but is it possible to run ineptepub from the command line and feed it the infile and outfile arguments?
Not without modifying the program.

texasnightowl
09-06-2009, 11:12 AM

mmm....OK...but the v3 floating around will do a directory of epubs at a time? Guess I need to go look for that.

Kostas
09-06-2009, 08:14 PM
mmm....OK...but the v3 floating around will do a directory of epubs at a time?
Correct! At least, for the one I've found.

FlorenceArt
09-26-2009, 03:41 AM

I supposed this means it still can't be run on a Mac?

I apologize for repeating a frequent question, but I didn't have the courage to re-read the whole thread to find the latest answer.

edembowski
09-26-2009, 08:56 AM
I supposed this means it still can't be run on a Mac?...

Of course it can run on a Mac. It's Python. Python was created on a Mac. Take a look at the other thread for this: ePub & PDF decryption on Mac OSX (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54311)

- Ed

notsure
09-26-2009, 09:49 AM
Of course it can run on a Mac. It's Python. Python was created on a Mac. Take a look at the other thread for this: ePub & PDF decryption on Mac OSX (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54311)

- Ed

I'm sorry but this is an inaccurate statement. Python was not created on a Mac. It was originally written for Unix platforms - just ask Guido van Rossum. :)

This occurred in the late 80s long before the Mac even began using a Unix variant as it's foundation.

FlorenceArt
09-26-2009, 01:19 PM
Of course it can run on a Mac. It's Python.

My understanding is that this is not a "normal" Python script (.py) but a special variant that is meant to run on windows (.pyw). Several people said at the beginning of this thread that .pyw scripts do not run on Mac.

pthwaite
09-26-2009, 02:08 PM
Once you get the "key", it runs quite happily on a MAC running 10.5 if you follow the instructions as per notsure's post. I haven't tried it on 10.6, but I understand from comments at the end of the thread that you(I) may need to re-compile the pycrypto part.

Howard

edembowski
09-26-2009, 05:01 PM
My understanding is that this is not a "normal" Python script (.py) but a special variant that is meant to run on windows (.pyw). Several people said at the beginning of this thread that .pyw scripts do not run on Mac.

`mv script.pyw script.py`

Take a look at the thread I linked to. I give step by step instructions on how to do it.

@notsure,

OK, I remember it being out initially for the Mac, so I took your advice. Here's what Guido says:

http://python-history.blogspot.com/2009/01/brief-timeline-of-python.html
and
http://python-history.blogspot.com/2009/01/personal-history-part-1-cwi.html

We're both wrong, he wrote it for the Amoeba project! :smack:

- Ed

FlorenceArt
09-27-2009, 02:21 AM

Take a look at the thread I linked to. I give step by step instructions on how to do it.

Thank you very much!!! I'll give it a try.

FlorenceArt
09-27-2009, 02:44 AM

Wait a minute... "mv" is just a rename function, right?

I guess I need to stop asking questions and just try it for myself :rolleyes:

Jellby
09-27-2009, 05:29 AM
Wait a minute... "mv" is just a rename function, right?

Yes, its "move", it can move to a different directory or just rename.

June
10-06-2009, 02:34 PM
My turn to ask for help... (And I hope my explanation isn't too detailed, if so please moderators edit it, hopefully it'll still make sense)

I run WinXP MCE
I have an authorized ADE
I have Active Python 2.6.2.2 installed (it works for mobi)
I have installed PyCrypto 2.1.0
I have ran ineptkey.pyw and have a file called adeptkey.der
I download a free epub that ought to be secure from BoB (Selections from fragile things) and it opens normally in ADE
I find the file in My Digital Editions (format *.pdf doublecklicking reroutes to ADE and opens it in ADE)
I open ineptepub.pyw and look for the file via the "..."-button, it looks for *.epub format as default, and naturally can't find it or the *.pdf. I then manually zip the book to see what happens. If choosing all formats, I can then choose the zipped book-file and I choose a destination.
I try to run it and get the error message "Error: File is not a zip file"

Is the book a non drm:ed one or what is causing the problem? I downloaded it today from BoB and it had the lock beside it. What format should the downloaded secure epub book be in?

wallcraft
10-06-2009, 02:42 PM
I find the file in My Digital Editions (format *.pdf doublecklicking reroutes to ADE and opens it in ADE) This is a PDF, not an ePub, so use ineptpdf.pyw.

June
10-06-2009, 02:51 PM
This is a PDF, not an ePub, so use ineptpdf.pyw.

Duh.... :o sorry... And thanks

I'm vurious though: how come the "epub book" I downloaded was in pdf format and still opened by ADE? Is a proper epub book in a *.epub or *.zip format?

wallcraft
10-06-2009, 03:01 PM
I'm vurious though: how come the "epub book" I downloaded was in pdf format and still opened by ADE? It is listed at BoB (http://www.booksonboard.com/index.php?BODY=viewbook&BOOK=382417&v=details) as a secure Adobe Digital Edition. This typically means PDF (ADE reads both PDF and ePub). At BoB an ePub will be listed as Adobe ePub, see for example Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman (http://www.booksonboard.com/index.php?BODY=viewbook&BOOK=33282&v=details) which has both Adobe ePub and Adobe Digital Edition versions. If both are available, buy the ePub version.

JohnnyD
10-08-2009, 02:08 PM
@i♥cabbages: It works like a charm. :thanks::thanks::thanks:

chilady1
10-09-2009, 03:20 PM
Just wanted to add my heartfelt thanks also - took me a while to figure it out and piece together all these posts (in light of the fact you can't outline on the boards) but piece it together nonetheless. It worked perfectly! :iloveyou:

donbrubaker
10-21-2009, 12:07 AM
Concerned about the changes coming to epub drm via bn.com... more at teleread.org on the change. I'm hoping a new tool will be available for epub should more than bn.com use the new system?

edembowski
10-22-2009, 04:52 PM
Don, what changes do you mean? bn.com does not sell ePub books, they sell in eReader format.

- Ed

edit: OK, just saw the press release:
http://www.teleread.org/2009/10/20/barnes-noble-adopts-open-epub-ebook-format-pdf-and-adobe-content-server/

donbrubaker
10-23-2009, 11:33 AM
Sorry, guess I should have provided the link. It appears that there will be 2 flavors of epub, which should make life interesting. I'm wondering if we might get a tool for working with the new epub format once it's out.

edembowski
10-23-2009, 08:25 PM
I'm hoping that the existing tools will continue to work. ADE does store it's keys in clear text, so that makes working with it much easier.

- Ed

donbrubaker
10-23-2009, 11:42 PM
One of the stories there seemed to imply that current epub books would not work with the nook... that it would use a new system to secure the content of the book and that the new system would be available to other "book stores" which use the epub system if they wanted to change the way they encrypted the content. Perhaps I misunderstood.. but if they are using some different method to secure the ePub, then I would think a new or modified tool would need to be developed.

wallcraft
10-24-2009, 12:05 AM
One of the stories there seemed to imply that current epub books would not work with the nook...

if they are using some different method to secure the ePub, then I would think a new or modified tool would need to be developed. Existing Adobe ePub (and PDF) ebooks are readable on the Nook, but the Nook ePubs from B&N will use an eReader-like "social" DRM based on your name on the credit card and the CC number. So this is different from the current AdobeID approach, and a new/updated circumvention tool will be required.

As you say, the "social" DRM will in principle be an option for any Adobe ePub and any device supporting Adobe ePub can be upgraded, at the vendor's option, to include this DRM scheme. It isn't yet clear if any other bookstore will use social DRM for ePubs and if existing EInk devices will be upgraded to support it (new devices probably will read ePubs with social DRM, because it will be a standard part of mobile ADE).

muņeca
10-24-2009, 12:53 PM
I have a dumb question put where do I go to download this I go to i♥cabbages site and the code is gone? Thank you!

wallcraft
10-24-2009, 01:30 PM
The script is called ineptepub.pyw, and you also need ineptkey.pyw. Yahoo may be more effective than Google, but in any case a python script is a text file (e.g. at pastebin), and you may need to rename it (e.g. to ineptepub.pyw) after download.

Fischi
10-26-2009, 05:13 AM
hi guys is there a nice person who gives me the links for python and extensions i need for the ineptepub.pyw and ineptkey.pyw? I tried several ones but none of them worked correctly. I have Vista 64bit.
Hope that someone has the same system. Sorry for the bad english and thx for help ^^

edembowski
10-26-2009, 08:24 AM
If you google 'ineptkey_v3.pyw torrent' I think you'll have good luck.
Go to pycrypto.org to find the link to the previous version that you'll need of pycrypto.

- Ed

Fischi
10-27-2009, 01:50 PM
thank you, torrent found and all worked fine ^^

kuka
10-30-2009, 11:10 PM
ineptkey.pyw gives me "Key successfully retrieved to adeptkey.der"

ineptpdf.pyw gives me "File successfully decrypted."

Adobe Reader gives me "There was an error processing a page. Invalid Function resource."

Any help please?

pthwaite
10-31-2009, 01:05 PM
Does it open in preview?

kuka
10-31-2009, 03:56 PM
Does it open in preview?
Nope.

After I open the book, Acrobat Reader gives me the error message and after I click "OK", it shows 396 blank pages (the book has 396 pages).

I uploaded the ebook to Google Docs and tried to view the document with Google's PDF viewer; no luck, still got 396 blank pages.

AnemicOak
10-31-2009, 05:54 PM
ineptkey.pyw gives me "Key successfully retrieved to adeptkey.der"

ineptpdf.pyw gives me "File successfully decrypted."

Adobe Reader gives me "There was an error processing a page. Invalid Function resource."

Any help please?

Might want to post your question in the Adept DRM PDF thread.
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40238

DiggerG
11-01-2009, 04:21 PM
This is probably answered in this thread somwhere, but I can't find it. My problem is:
I am running Windows 7 x64
I downloaded and installed Python v 2.6.4
I have pycrypto-2.0.1.win-amd64-py2.6
I have run Visual Studio 2008 runtime

Everytime I try to install pycrypto I get the message "Python version 2.6 required which was not found in the registry". There are boxes to fill in with the path of Python, but when i try to type in them they won't register the text I am trying to write. I am unable to install pycrypto. Any suggestions, please

muelma
11-04-2009, 05:10 PM
This is probably answered in this thread somwhere, but I can't find it. My problem is:
I am running Windows 7 x64
I downloaded and installed Python v 2.6.4
I have pycrypto-2.0.1.win-amd64-py2.6
I have run Visual Studio 2008 runtime

Everytime I try to install pycrypto I get the message "Python version 2.6 required which was not found in the registry". There are boxes to fill in with the path of Python, but when i try to type in them they won't register the text I am trying to write. I am unable to install pycrypto. Any suggestions, please

I also tried using the scripts with Win7x64.
The scripts did not work for me when I installed python-2.6.4.amd64 with pycrypto-2.0.1.win-amd64-py2.6, so I switched to the appropriate x86 versions which ultimately did the job.

DiggerG
11-05-2009, 09:58 AM
Many thanks, Muelma. The x86 versions have also installed for me. Now I will try the scripts tonight when I get home from work to see if they will work.

Chang
11-19-2009, 03:58 AM
I get an error which hasn't been solved in this thread (yet). When I'm trying to decrypt my DRM'ed ePub file with ineptepub.pyw I get this error:

Error: problem decrypting session key

I have no idea where's the problem. I have Python 2.6.4 and PyCrypto 2.0.1-py2.6 installed. I used ineptkey.pyw to retrieve the security certificate and got adeptkey.der file. I tried to google for this problem but didn't find any answers. I also checked the Python code where this error message is mentioned but I'm not so familiar with Python language that I would understand it.

Any ideas what's wrong?

TallMomof2
11-23-2009, 09:36 AM
The scripts did not work for me when I installed python-2.6.4.amd64 with pycrypto-2.0.1.win-amd64-py2.6, so I switched to the appropriate x86 versions which ultimately did the job.

I can confirm that using the x86 versions work in 7 x64 when the x64 version of pycrypto doesn't. It worked on the RC of Win 7 x64 but not on RTM. But the x86 versions work fine. It's definitely something is not compatible with the pycrypto module because I'd been using Python 2.64 x64 with no problems.

Chang
11-26-2009, 02:59 AM
I get an error which hasn't been solved in this thread (yet). When I'm trying to decrypt my DRM'ed ePub file with ineptepub.pyw I get this error:

Error: problem decrypting session key

I have no idea where's the problem. I have Python 2.6.4 and PyCrypto 2.0.1-py2.6 installed. I used ineptkey.pyw to retrieve the security certificate and got adeptkey.der file. I tried to google for this problem but didn't find any answers. I also checked the Python code where this error message is mentioned but I'm not so familiar with Python language that I would understand it.

Any ideas what's wrong?

I still haven't found solution for my problem. I found a Dutch website (http://www.gorissen.info/Pierre/item/2009/8/26/maak-een-backup-van-je-bol-com-boeken) where Ron has (probably) the same problem. I tried Google Translator but it didn't help me much. Can someone translate the text for me if the problem was solved? Also, if you know anything about this problem, please let me know :)

Sweetpea
11-26-2009, 06:24 AM
The response from Pierre (on that site)

It is apparently a problem which others also have, see this long thread on mobileread.com (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?p=570129#post570129), but I don't see a solution/fix there. So, no idea, sadly.

Toxaris
11-26-2009, 08:41 AM
Apparently Pierre did not have the problem. What might help though, is to know on what OS you are Chang. Pierre seems to think that the python scripts only run on windows.

Chang
11-26-2009, 08:49 AM
I'm using Windows XP. I think I might know what's the problem. I didn't buy this DRM'ed ePub and it's registered to other user's ADE. I just got the ePub file from him. I'll try to crack the DRM'ed ePub file on his computer in the near future. I'll let you know what happened.

pdurrant
11-26-2009, 12:43 PM
I strongly disapprove of removing DRM to be able to share the file with people who haven't bought it.

I'm using Windows XP. I think I might know what's the problem. I didn't buy this DRM'ed ePub

Chang
11-27-2009, 01:24 AM
I strongly disapprove of removing DRM to be able to share the file with people who haven't bought it.

I work in a publishing house and it's just for a test :) Just getting familiar with ADEPT.

Spectrum
11-27-2009, 01:32 PM

Good, Don't do it again!

avid
11-29-2009, 05:33 PM
I apologize if the answer I am looking for is already here - I have gone through this thread and the forums several times.

I installed ADE, Python2.6.4, the appropriate PyCrypto, all without problems on Windows XP home.
Downloaded an epub book with DRM free from Adobe, can see it fine in ADE.

Double click on ineptkey.pyw (both versions 2 and 3), and nothing happens - both with ADE running and closed.
Opened IDLE and ran the module there - gives me a Syntax error in both versions of ineptkey.
Any thoughts? I uninstalled and reinstalled all programs and the same result. I obviously haven't tried ineptepub as I don't yet have the key.
Thanks

PS - I am able to use dedrm for Mobi without problem - but I do that in Linux. Not sure what to do to troubleshoot this situation.

Sydney's Mom
11-29-2009, 10:06 PM
Are you sure yoy renaned it to pyw? Check properties-unless you tell your computer to show the entire file name, it will be pyw.txt

alecE
12-04-2009, 04:13 PM
Just wanted to post my heartfelt thanks to i♥cabbages for his scripts! I installed python 2.6, pcrypto and the scripts, and voila! drm-free epubs (so now I can do the publisher's job and correct their wretched typos!)
Thanks again.

mokkie
12-05-2009, 06:01 PM
i'm having a problem with the decryption. i get the key file fine and i can create the output pdf file but when i try to open this file it says "there was an error opening this document. there is an error reading this document (14)"

i'm running windows 7 64 bit if that helps

Edit- sorry i just realised i posted in the wrong section. please ignore this post

JSWolf
12-05-2009, 08:32 PM
Just wanted to post my heartfelt thanks to i♥cabbages for his scripts! I installed python 2.6, pcrypto and the scripts, and voila! drm-free epubs (so now I can do the publisher's job and correct their wretched typos!)
Thanks again.
It's more the wretched formatting that bugs me. So I fix it and then go on to read.

seagull
12-13-2009, 11:00 AM
Is there a free ePub file with DRM going anywhere right now? I got a PDF to test as well and was successful, never realised it was going to be so easy! :D:thanks: Now I can strip the DRM and read files converted from ePub on my Kindle, I've been looking at Bill Oddie's Where to Watch Wildlife for a long time :p

wallcraft
12-13-2009, 11:15 AM
Is there a free ePub file with DRM going anywhere right now? I am really liking the new Sony Reader Store, you need the eBL software (http://ebookstore.sony.com/download/) for Windows or Mac but you don't need a Sony Reader. Under Windows, the ePubs end up in My Documents\My Books\Reader Library. If you look in "Bargin Priced" (under Browse Categories on the left) there are several that are free, and "Already Dead" (and probably the others) has DRM. The eBL store software is a little clunky, but the ebooks download fast and the selection is good. Prices are typically not the best (e.g. higher than Amazon), but are usually not outrageous.

Leep
12-13-2009, 12:04 PM
Is there a free ePub file with DRM going anywhere right now? I got a PDF to test as well and was successful, never realised it was going to be so easy! :D:thanks: Now I can strip the DRM and read files converted from ePub on my Kindle, I've been looking at Bill Oddie's Where to Watch Wildlife for a long time :p

You can actually get one off the ADE website. Look for sample books. Several of the epubs are drm'd

Cheers

scottjl
12-15-2009, 12:53 AM
I've got the same problem as avid does. Windows 7 64bit. I run ineptkey.pyw and nothing, doesn't generate a .key file. I've tried the 64 and 32 bit versions of python and pycrypto (2.6 of python and 2.01 of pycrypto).

Any ideas anyone? Thanks!

Maethros
12-15-2009, 08:02 PM
Change this:

userkey = userkey.decode('base64')
userkey = AES.new(keykey, AES.MODE_CBC).decrypt(userkey)

To this:

userkey = AES.new(keykey, AES.MODE_CBC).decrypt(userkey)

The indent is causing the script not to run.

I apologize if the answer I am looking for is already here - I have gone through this thread and the forums several times.

I installed ADE, Python2.6.4, the appropriate PyCrypto, all without problems on Windows XP home.
Downloaded an epub book with DRM free from Adobe, can see it fine in ADE.

Double click on ineptkey.pyw (both versions 2 and 3), and nothing happens - both with ADE running and closed.
Opened IDLE and ran the module there - gives me a Syntax error in both versions of ineptkey.
Any thoughts? I uninstalled and reinstalled all programs and the same result. I obviously haven't tried ineptepub as I don't yet have the key.
Thanks

PS - I am able to use dedrm for Mobi without problem - but I do that in Linux. Not sure what to do to troubleshoot this situation.

ficbot
12-21-2009, 12:38 PM
Question, I have used this method on epubs from the Sony store and from Shortcovers/Kobo. Then I exported them from Stanza into Word docs and saved them as HTML so I could remove the extra line breaks and other sloppy formatting. On both, the title of the book appeared at the end of every chapter, which was fine. But on Kobo, all those little page numbers did too and that is going to be a pain to edit out! Why did this happen on these pubs when it did not on the Sony ones? Any advice to easily remove them? It does make me reluctant to buy from Kobo again...

JSWolf
12-21-2009, 07:45 PM
Question, I have used this method on epubs from the Sony store and from Shortcovers/Kobo. Then I exported them from Stanza into Word docs and saved them as HTML so I could remove the extra line breaks and other sloppy formatting. On both, the title of the book appeared at the end of every chapter, which was fine. But on Kobo, all those little page numbers did too and that is going to be a pain to edit out! Why did this happen on these pubs when it did not on the Sony ones? Any advice to easily remove them? It does make me reluctant to buy from Kobo again...
I have purchased ePub from Kobo when they were Shortcovers. I've never had an issue with page numbers showing up.

But when you are editing the ePub to fix the formatting, you don't need to load them into Word. The best thing to do is edit the CSS and that will fix most of the formatting problems (if not all). What I do is load the various files into Notepad++ along with the CSS and see what styles are used where so I can then go to the CSS and fix what needs fixing. Notepad++ supports tabs so I can load multiple files at the same time. I can even search/replace all the loaded files at the same time.

chlorine
12-28-2009, 05:03 AM
Did anybody try to use this with wine under linux?
ADE seems to run fine for me (I was able to download and view sucessfully a test drm'd pdf from booksonboard), but the key retrieval script failed with the error "Error: Incorrect padding".

I am aware that I will not be able to remove the drm from the pdf, but I assume the adeptkey script should work independtly of whether I have ePubs on my computer or not?

Valloric
12-30-2009, 04:58 PM
I'm getting this error when I try decrypt an epub I just bought: "Error: Error -3 while decompressing: invalid code lengths set".

The script does produce an epub, but some of the XHTML files in it seem to be missing. All the pictures are there, and most of the XHTMLs, but not all.

Now it's been a while since I've used the ineptepub.pyw file to decrypt an epub, I've been busy reading up on my backlog and more than a few wonderful public domain books from MobileRead, but I know it worked for me before.

I've also tried to decrypt this under Linux (I already have the adeptkey.der file). I downloaded the PyCrypto source code, compiled and installed it. The test suite seems to run fine. But I get the same error when I try to decrypt.

Anyone got any ideas? I have a DRM-laden epub and I don't want it to be DRM-laden. :)

Valloric
12-30-2009, 05:06 PM
OK it seems three of the images in the original epub file are corrupt and the CRC check fails when extracting them, even with WinRAR. The script then stops processing other files in the archive.

Baaah, now I have to hack on the script to get it to decrypt the other files...

peanutbuttah
01-07-2010, 09:34 PM
I have a question... I've successfully gone through all the steps and have a decrypted file saved. I moved it to my Kindle- the Documents folder- but it's just NOT there. I have made sure my Kindle is displaying "all my items".

It's definitely saved on my Kindle- I see it fine when opening the documents file while it's connected to my computer. I just can't see it when using the Kindle?

Any advice?

Pardoz
01-07-2010, 09:42 PM
I have a question... I've successfully gone through all the steps and have a decrypted file saved.

Have you converted the file to .mobi format? The Kindle won't read epub files natively. Happily they usually convert quickly, easily, and well - use Calibre (or mobigen/kindlegen if you aren't CLIphobic) to get something you can read on your Kindle.

peanutbuttah
01-07-2010, 09:57 PM
Have you converted the file to .mobi format? The Kindle won't read epub files natively. Happily they usually convert quickly, easily, and well - use Calibre (or mobigen/kindlegen if you aren't CLIphobic) to get something you can read on your Kindle.

No...? Haven't done this- I didn't realize it was neccesary! I have never used Calibre. So I can't just use a script of some kind to convert it?

Pardoz
01-07-2010, 10:05 PM
No...? Haven't done this- I didn't realize it was neccesary! I have never used Calibre. So I can't just use a script of some kind to convert it?

You can use Calibre if you prefer a GUI, or grab kindlegen from here (http://www.mobipocket.com/dev/) or here (http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000234621). The conversion process is quick, painless, and generally gives good output.

peanutbuttah
01-07-2010, 10:15 PM
Thank you- I'll try Calibre. I hadn't realized I needed to do this.

Thanks again for your help!

peanutbuttah
01-07-2010, 10:19 PM
You can use Calibre if you prefer a GUI, or grab kindlegen from here (http://www.mobipocket.com/dev/) or here (http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000234621). The conversion process is quick, painless, and generally gives good output.

Yup, that did it- and very painless. Thank you SO much!!

Mitch G
01-07-2010, 10:24 PM
Note that if you prefer to do the conversion via a script, Calibre includes command-line scripts.
The one for book conversions is called ebook-convert.exe and is under the main Calibre directory.
This page describes how to use the various commands:
http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual/cli/cli-index.html

Mitch

joblack
01-07-2010, 10:32 PM

You have to install it as Administrator but the better option is to use the x86 version (the speed difference shouldn't be that different).

kirbinster
01-10-2010, 06:18 PM
I tired it and while it generated the key file fine when I went to convert it told me the file was not a .zip file? Why would it be a zip file? What is going on

thename
01-10-2010, 06:44 PM
Did anybody try to use this with wine under linux?
ADE seems to run fine for me (I was able to download and view sucessfully a test drm'd pdf from booksonboard), but the key retrieval script failed with the error "Error: Incorrect padding".

I was able to successfully retrieve a key via Wine but it took a bit of jiggering the locations. Installed Python and PyCrypto for Windows in Wine. Then ran the script in a separate desktop via:
wine explorer /desktop=name,1024x768 python.exe ineptkey.py
That was the only way I was able to get it to work; running it directly from outside of Wine wouldn't give any response but that ended up popping out a .der that I could use directly from linux.

What a relief; wasn't ready to get my Windows box back up just to regenerate a stupid key!

Bilbo1967
01-10-2010, 06:58 PM
Wow, that has to be the most convoluted way of using a couple of small, simple scripts I have ever seen.

wallcraft
01-10-2010, 07:02 PM
I tired it and while it generated the key file fine when I went to convert it told me the file was not a .zip file? Why would it be a zip file? What is going on An .epub is actually a ZIP file (with a particular kind of contents), so probably this means "not an ePub".

thename
01-11-2010, 02:23 PM
Wow, that has to be the most convoluted way of using a couple of small, simple scripts I have ever seen.

By all means, show us your less convoluted method! :thumbsup:

Until then I'll happily use my pseudo-convoluted (post-keygen) .sh to decrypt my books and load 'em up.

kirbinster
01-11-2010, 02:44 PM
An .epub is actually a ZIP file (with a particular kind of contents), so probably this means "not an ePub".

Well it was a free starwars book I downloaded from B&N that says it is EPUB.

kirbinster
01-11-2010, 04:34 PM
Is it possible to read epub books that I download from the New York Public Library on my Jetbook Lite? Adobe Digital Editions says I can copy it to any device and for something I downloaded today (jan 11) says it will work until February 1st, but when I copy the file to the memory card on my Jetbook it seems to say there is only one page and it is blank. Am I doing something wrong, or is it not possible to read library books?

wallcraft
01-11-2010, 04:39 PM
Is it possible to read epub books that I download from the New York Public Library on my Jetbook Lite? You can read it if you remove the DRM, i.e. run it through ineptepub.pyw first. You no doubt intend to delete the DRM-free ebook when the lending period expires, but note that, even so, stripping DRM from lending library ebooks is likely illegal in the US.

Pardoz
01-12-2010, 12:20 AM
Well it was a free starwars book I downloaded from B&N that says it is EPUB.

Ah, that's a B&N epub, which is a different thing entirely than an ADE epub, and requires a different disinfection tool (you can probably find the B&N disinfection utility the same place you found the ADE one).

pthwaite
01-12-2010, 06:21 PM
Just a point to all you Mac owners.

I just bought/downloaded 4 books. 2 were decrypted okay in the Mac environment, 2 wouldn't work I had to go into Windows and re-download them before decrypting in MAC.
I suspect it may be the "zipping" problem but as it's late, I haven't tried that solution yet.

chlorine
01-13-2010, 05:37 AM
I was able to successfully retrieve a key via Wine but it took a bit of jiggering the locations. Installed Python and PyCrypto for Windows in Wine. Then ran the script in a separate desktop via:
wine explorer /desktop=name,1024x768 python.exe ineptkey.py
That was the only way I was able to get it to work; running it directly from outside of Wine wouldn't give any response but that ended up popping out a .der that I could use directly from linux.

What a relief; wasn't ready to get my Windows box back up just to regenerate a stupid key!

Thanks for the tip, I didn't know you could run wine in this way. It didn't work by simply copy/pasting your command line, which is hardly a surprise though. I'll try to fiddle with it and see what gives.

By the way, the script I have is adeptkey.pyw, and not ineptkey, did I get the wrong version of the scripts or is it a pun?

Thanks,
chlorine

chlorine
01-13-2010, 02:32 PM
Hmmm, that's still not working for me...

Running it with the wine explorer command gave me the same "Incorrect padding" error.

Some manual inspection seems to show that the error is caused by the following line:

and it seems that userkey contains the value

http://adeactivate.adobe.com/adept

which is probably not what is supposed to be there.

I really do not know a thing about running python under windows though, so I may have misunderstood something.

EDIT: OK, never mind me, I indeed had the wrong version of the script. I found ineptkey.pyw and it worked like a charm with wine. I was then able to use adeptdecrypt to sucessfully decrypt a secure ePub.
Yay ePub books are mine! :)

thename
01-15-2010, 12:39 PM
OK, never mind me, I indeed had the wrong version of the script. I found ineptkey.pyw and it worked like a charm with wine. I was then able to use adeptdecrypt to sucessfully decrypt a secure ePub.
Yay ePub books are mine! :)

:clap: Glad it worked out.

Maybe we can gin up a nice tidy Python script to do this all together directly in linux (I'm sure we can remove the Windows requirement from ineptkey with a little effort, right?). Looks like it's time for me to work out Python coding!

krischik
01-16-2010, 02:12 AM
Maybe we can gin up a nice tidy Python script to do this all together directly in linux (I'm sure we can remove the Windows requirement from ineptkey with a little effort, right?). Looks like it's time for me to work out Python coding!

MobiDeDRM 7 and beyond can be used as a Calibre plugin. Somehow I think that is the way to go: Easy usability for every OS.

Martin

kirbinster
01-16-2010, 08:19 AM
Could you provide some step by step instructions on how to do this as a calibre plugin. Thanks

Alexander Turcic
01-16-2010, 10:45 AM
Could you provide some step by step instructions on how to do this as a calibre plugin. Thanks

Please don't ask for step by step instructions. It's against our guidelines. Thank you for your understanding.

kirbinster
01-16-2010, 11:09 AM
Please don't ask for step by step instructions. It's against our guidelines. Thank you for your understanding.

Not sure why it would be against guidelines on how to use a plugin for a freeware program - but so be it -- sorry.

pilotbob
01-16-2010, 11:45 AM
Not sure why it would be against guidelines on how to use a plugin for a freeware program - but so be it -- sorry.

You can certainly provide step by step instructions on how to plug a python script into Calibre. But, you can NOT post step-by-step instructions on how to remove DRM. Please follow our rules and guidelines.

BOb

krischik
01-16-2010, 01:43 PM
You can certainly provide step by step instructions on how to plug a python script into Calibre.

But then that instruction is provided with the plugin.

rwe
01-16-2010, 04:56 PM
i installed b&n reader under windows besides my mac version, it seems barnes and noble sometimes delivers files with .pdb extension and sometimes with .epub extension, is there an equivalent script to remove drm from .pdb files, a script that works as an executable and makes .epub out of the input file or is it done in multiple steps?

edembowski
01-17-2010, 08:46 AM
eReader2html003.py decrypts pdb files. If you google it you should find it. It outputs to a new directory with the html & image files. That will need to be converted to something more usable.

- Ed

VICTORSJG
01-24-2010, 12:27 AM
But then that instruction is provided with the plugin.

Where can in download the MobiDeDRM 7 to use with calibre?

Thanks

wallcraft
01-24-2010, 01:28 AM
For more information on mobidedrm, read (or search) the comments to the DarkReverser's Weblog. Work backwards from the latest comments.

raac
01-31-2010, 05:23 PM
This worked for me to liberate my first Epub purchased from Sony (naturally this is for my own use only). Had to boot into Windows to do it, though. Anybody have modified python scripts or wrappers to get this working in Linux or OS X?

pthwaite
01-31-2010, 05:37 PM
raac,
Have a look through this thread:
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54311

stewball
02-03-2010, 11:11 PM
Anybody updated Adobe Digital Editions to 1.7.2 yet? I haven't tested it, but someone from another board updated, then got an error running ineptepub.

I am going to update on one of my computers now, and re-run the ineptkey.

Hopefully no problems.

Stew

EDIT: There is definitely an issue. I updated, then removed the old adeptkey, re-ran the ineptkey, then tested ineptepub, and got "Error:problem decrypting session key"

AprilHare
02-03-2010, 11:18 PM
Anybody updated Adobe Digital Editions to 1.7.2 yet? I haven't tested it, but someone from another board updated, then got an error running ineptepub.

Hopefully no problems.

Stew

EDIT: There is definitely an issue. I updated, then removed the old adeptkey, re-ran the ineptkey, then tested ineptepub, and got "Error:problem decrypting session key"
Did the old key work?

stewball
02-03-2010, 11:33 PM
Did the old key work?

Nope. I tested the old key first before moving it to another folder, and re-running ineptkey.

The issue is the older version of ADE will expire in 45 days, and you will have to update.

Stew

AprilHare
02-03-2010, 11:37 PM
Nope. I tested the old key first before moving it to another folder, and re-running ineptkey.

The issue is the older version of ADE will expire in 45 days, and you will have to update.

Stew

This sounds like a job for.... SuperProgrammer! :)
Perhaps word of this little python script made it back to Adobe..

ATimson
02-03-2010, 11:53 PM
Funny - my old key works fine with a book I downloaded for the first time today in v1.7.2 from Fictionwise...

stewball
02-03-2010, 11:56 PM
Funny - my old key works fine with a book I downloaded for the first time today in v1.7.2 from Fictionwise...

Are you saying you did the upgrade, then bought a book and you were still able to remove the DRM?

zwarbles
02-04-2010, 12:02 AM
I updated and now it doesn't work. :help:
Nothing I have done has helped...and I sure could use some help at this point.

ATimson
02-04-2010, 12:03 AM
Are you saying you did the upgrade, then bought a book and you were still able to remove the DRM?
That's exactly what I did. :)

AprilHare
02-04-2010, 12:56 AM
That's exactly what I did. :)

You used the originally extracted key?

Valloric
02-04-2010, 08:26 AM
You know, I find this strange. The knee-jerk response from Adobe would be to go out of their way to break this script, which they seem to have done.

But that's just damn stupid. A way to remove ADE DRM has a very positive effect on the sales of epubs with this type of protection. People who would otherwise never have bought the book now will, since they can remove the encryption.

Fixing the DRM hurts them in the long run.

I know they have to placate the brain-dead publishers, but still...

pdurrant
02-04-2010, 08:28 AM
Absolutely. I won't buy any DRMed ebook where I can't remove the DRM. So it looks like no ePubs for me at the moment. (Kindle/Mobipocket are currently my preferred format, for ease of removal/conversion.)

A way to remove ADE DRM has a very positive effect on the sales of epubs with this type of protection. People who would otherwise never have bought the book now will, since they can remove the encryption.

Fixing the DRM hurts them in the long run.

I know they have to placate the brain-dead publishers, but still...

ATimson
02-04-2010, 08:58 AM
You used the originally extracted key?
Yes, I used the original key file. I haven't tried extracting a new one (for fear that that might break things!).

My key file wasn't generated until... whatever the next-most-recent ADE version was - 1.7 or possibly 1.7.1. Could that make a difference?

blueglide
02-04-2010, 09:17 AM
This may seem like a noobish question but I went thru *&#$ to get my wife's reader 'authenticated' with Adobe and that useless Sony store. With the help of some great folks on this board I got things pretty much straightened out and my wife has thoroughly enjoyed her reader since. In the meantime I learned how to liberate her books from DRM. People talk about not buying books with DRM but where can you buy books without it? I refuse to buy any more crap from the Sony store since I purchased some books there in Nov. 09and STILL can't download and read them since they haven't been converted to ePub format yet. (Don't even get me going on Sony store useless, poor speaking, script reading, ill-equipped, customer support personnel) :smack:
Anyway, I digress, I would gladly do business with any store where I can buy books DRM free or at least in a format I can liberate and then transfer to my wife's reader. I thought all stores sold DRM protected books? Suggestions for stores and formats?? She has a Sony PRS600.

ATimson
02-04-2010, 10:10 AM
Anyway, I digress, I would gladly do business with any store where I can buy books DRM free or at least in a format I can liberate and then transfer to my wife's reader. I thought all stores sold DRM protected books? Suggestions for stores and formats?? She has a Sony PRS600.
Unfortunately, most publishers require DRM. Baen Webscriptions (http://www.webscriptions.net) sells DRM-free books, and some of Fictionwise (http://www.fictionwise.com)'s content is DRM-free. But you're not going to find releases from, say, Simon and Schuster or Random House without DRM.

stewball
02-04-2010, 10:14 AM
Ok, this seems like an isolated problem. It messed up on my Windows 7 Ultimate laptop, but worked fine on my Vista laptop. I have only my main desktop left, but it has Windows 7 on it also, so I am going to wait to see if others are having problems.

Stew

blueglide
02-04-2010, 10:42 AM
User commenting on Viva eBook blog is having same problem but it sounds like he has Windows XP. Very strange. http://vivaebooks.blogspot.com/2009/10/iphone-reading-adobeepub-ebooks.html?showComment=1265256866938

Note last comment

ATimson
02-04-2010, 10:47 AM
Ok, this seems like an isolated problem. It messed up on my Windows 7 Ultimate laptop, but worked fine on my Vista laptop. I have only my main desktop left, but it has Windows 7 on it also, so I am going to wait to see if others are having problems.
For what it's worth, my success was on Windows 7 Professional.

dmapr
02-04-2010, 11:03 AM
For what it's worth, my success was on Windows 7 Professional.

Win XP SP3 and still happy here. I also tried extracting the key again (after making a backup) and it was a success. I originally had 1.7.1, but I also have Sony Reader library installed although I don't know if that makes a difference.

ChristopherTD
02-04-2010, 11:31 AM
I was prompted to update yesterday, but held off. Hopefully the changes will be understood within the next 40 days so that I can continue to buy ePub. Had I not been able to strip the DRM I would not have purchased the 50 or so I already have.

I am using OS/X so will watch for reports of updaters on that platform!

bwaldron
02-04-2010, 11:37 AM
I've also had success removing DRM with ADE 1.7.2 on Windows 7. My stored key was generated with 1.7.1, for what it's worth.

Pardoz
02-04-2010, 12:50 PM
But that's just damn stupid. A way to remove ADE DRM has a very positive effect on the sales of epubs with this type of protection.

A drop in sales obviously impacts the publisher, who will doubtless be thrilled that their cunning plan to not-sell product is working. Whether a drop in sales hits Adobe or not depends on the terms they license their malware on - if it's per infected book or some kind of annual license or something.

joblack
02-04-2010, 04:37 PM
A drop in sales obviously impacts the publisher, who will doubtless be thrilled that their cunning plan to not-sell product is working. Whether a drop in sales hits Adobe or not depends on the terms they license their malware on - if it's per infected book or some kind of annual license or something.

There will be no drop of sales because people who don't have the special devices will buy the e-books anyway.

chainring
02-04-2010, 07:11 PM
Like others in this thread, I was having problems stripping my ePub files and was having the problem because I didn't grab the key until after updating to 1.7.2. Determined to not have this get the best of me, I setup a new virtual machine in VMWare Workstation, installed all the python, pc-crypto, and grabbed the scripts. I then used the setup file for ADE 1.7.1 provided earlier in this thread and authorized it. Ran the ineptkey script, and used the resulting key file to decrypt an ePub which would not with the 1.7.2 key.

All is now good in the clean ePub universe. :)

AFK_Matrix
02-04-2010, 07:38 PM
Well I bought some DRM'd epub books yesturday of some books I really wanted and couldn't find any other format for them. Then I came across this thread and thought I would give it a try. So I followed samtheeagle instructions he posted in this thread (post no 81) about what to install etc. And then I just ran the key script and it worked instantly then i ran the second script and bang 2 secs later my epub book was de-drm'd!!! This was on Windows 7, so I'd like to say a huge thank you to I love Cabbage!!! Excellent work!!!

AprilHare
02-05-2010, 02:44 AM
This I read from ADE 1.7.2 webpage:
"Digital Editions 1.7.2 is an application update that discontinues support for Adobe Content Server 3."
and
"This version also allows IT professionals to deploy, maintain, and support Digital Editions across your organization."
This all implies significant changes under the hood..

ATimson
02-05-2010, 08:23 AM
This I read from ADE 1.7.2 webpage:
"Digital Editions 1.7.2 is an application update that discontinues support for Adobe Content Server 3."
and
"This version also allows IT professionals to deploy, maintain, and support Digital Editions across your organization."
This all implies significant changes under the hood..
The Adobe Content Sever 3 drop occurred in 1.7.1 (and possibly 1.7).

stewball
02-05-2010, 09:50 AM
Like others in this thread, I was having problems stripping my ePub files and was having the problem because I didn't grab the key until after updating to 1.7.2. Determined to not have this get the best of me, I setup a new virtual machine in VMWare Workstation, installed all the python, pc-crypto, and grabbed the scripts. I then used the setup file for ADE 1.7.1 provided earlier in this thread and authorized it. Ran the ineptkey script, and used the resulting key file to decrypt an ePub which would not with the 1.7.2 key.

All is now good in the clean ePub universe. :)

What thread had a link to 1.7.1 on it? I am trying to remove and re-install on the one laptop that the update messed up.

Thanks,
Stew

mgmueller
02-05-2010, 09:53 AM

Hopefully no problems.

Stew

Got the same error code. Copied old key over again, then working as usual.
Meaning: Don't generate a new key, use the old one for now.

mgmueller
02-05-2010, 09:57 AM
I updated and now it doesn't work. :help:
Nothing I have done has helped...and I sure could use some help at this point.

Leave it open after you've got the error code.
Copy the old key over. Retry - working. Prove: It's only the key.
Meaning: Don't generate a new key, use the old one for now.

joblack
02-05-2010, 10:09 AM
What exactly changed with the newer ADE - is the key saved differently?

JSWolf
02-05-2010, 02:48 PM
The file adeptkey.der that was created with ADE 1.7.1 is still valid for 1.7.2. Do not delete it or try to make a new one for ADE 1.7.2. It won't work.

JSWolf
02-05-2010, 02:51 PM
What exactly changed with the newer ADE - is the key saved differently?

ADE 1.7.2 changes how the key is stored. So the program to get the key no longer works.

stewball
02-05-2010, 07:03 PM
After updating ADE on one of my computers, and getting the key error, I uninstalled the new version, cleaned the ADEPT registry keys, and rebooted.

I then installed the old version, activated it, then re-ran ineptkey, and retrieved adeptkey.der again. Then I was back in business.

I then updated again, and still have no problems. I think that Ultra-Edit and/or my anti-virus registry/script blocker caused me problems the first time around.

I say Ultra-Edit because I had set the file association to just about everything HTML, and the ADE website Launch button wasn't working right. So I manually installed it the first time, which uninstalled the old version first. Whereas if you update when ADE tells you need to, and when it opens the ADE website, choose the Launch button to just do an update.

Maybe this will help someone. If anyone needs help finding the registry keys to delete, let me know.

Stew

Skydog
02-05-2010, 07:32 PM
Is there a link where one may download the earlier version of ADE?

stewball
02-05-2010, 08:30 PM
Is there a link where one may download the earlier version of ADE?

Here it is.

http://drop.io/a1bdxlq

Stew

Skydog
02-05-2010, 09:09 PM
Thank you, Stew! :thumbsup:

Sydney's Mom
02-05-2010, 11:43 PM
Well I bought some DRM'd epub books yesturday of some books I really wanted and couldn't find any other format for them. Then I came across this thread and thought I would give it a try. So I followed samtheeagle instructions he posted in this thread (post no 81) about what to install etc. And then I just ran the key script and it worked instantly then i ran the second script and bang 2 secs later my epub book was de-drm'd!!! This was on Windows 7, so I'd like to say a huge thank you to I love Cabbage!!! Excellent work!!!

Isn't it a rush when it works!

AprilHare
02-06-2010, 12:03 AM
Anyone have ADE 0.7.1 for Mac (PPC and/or Intel) too?

ChristopherTD
02-06-2010, 01:59 AM
I trawled through my Time Machine backups for the period when I installed 0.7.1 on my Mac and I couldn't find it, it must have installed itself in some sort of odd fashion, rather than via a disk image. If someone knows where that is, my Time Machine backups will have it, I just don't know where to look!