View Full Version : How to optimize PDF's for 800x600 Viewing

James Cole
02-17-2009, 08:26 PM
Hello,

Wanted your input on how to optimize PDF's for viewing in my sony 505, wich is a 800x600 screen. I want the text to be as close to the screen borders as possible so that there is no waste of space and letters are big enough to read.

Attached is an Example file, if you guys could optimize it and tell me how it would be great.

Thanks!!!
JC

Edit: I am not interested in doing reflow as some other ebooks that I have include graphics so they have to be seen in a complete page as intended.

Jellby
02-18-2009, 07:08 AM
This is a perfect example of an "evil" pdf. It's not a good book at any resolution, too long lines and small type.

Without reflowing or re-creating the pdf, the most you can do is cropping it, I suggest:

$ pdftk file.pdf output file-unc.pdf uncompress

Edit file-unc.pdf, replace every instance of "/MediaBox [0 0 612 792]" with "/MediaBox [70 52 542 742]".

$ pdftk file-unc.pdf output file.pdf compress

owl123
02-18-2009, 08:26 AM
You might want to convert this PDF to HTML (via Adobe Acrobat if you have it) and then convert HTML back to PDF with proper page settings (i.e. 6x9 page with margins.)

BTW. Moderators should delete the file you attached. It's a copyrighted work by Daniel Goleman.

willus
07-04-2011, 12:43 AM
The example was removed, so I can't try it, but try k2pdfopt for optimizing your PDF's to a 6-inch kindle/e-reader screen. Google it and check the examples.

taylor3456
11-11-2011, 07:37 PM
You might want to convert this PDF to HTML (via Adobe Acrobat if you have it) and then convert HTML back to PDF with proper page settings (i.e. 6x9 page with margins.)

BTW. Moderators should delete the file you attached. It's a copyrighted work by Daniel Goleman.

When I convert HTML back to PDF, how can I set the proper page settings?
And what does it mean with "6x9 page with margins"?
When I use create a pdf from a file in acrobat, and select the html file, then all the information of the text appear in one page, how and where can I make the settings?
thank you for your help!

Jellby
11-12-2011, 04:00 AM
You open the HTML with a word processor (MS Word, OO Writer, or similar), set the page size as 6"9" (9cm 12cm), narrow margins, and save/export as PDF.

taylor3456
11-12-2011, 01:55 PM
You open the HTML with a word processor (MS Word, OO Writer, or similar), set the page size as 6"9" (9cm 12cm), narrow margins, and save/export as PDF.

thanks Jellby, my screen is 8 inch. Direct reading the pdf files is still a pain. With remaining the format of the old pdf, what I can do is perhaps to buy a new 9.7 inch Eink reader.

Artha
11-27-2011, 08:16 PM
I wonder why would someone would waste all the computing power to go from PDF to HTML to dump all the effort and put it back to PDF instead of just zip it in an EPUB? Could you help me?

DaleDe
11-28-2011, 02:04 AM
I wonder why would someone would waste all the computing power to go from PDF to HTML to dump all the effort and put it back to PDF instead of just zip it in an EPUB? Could you help me?

Kindle does not read ePub but does read PDF.

Dale

Artha
11-28-2011, 12:14 PM
epub and html can be converted without a problem into mobi. which is a totaly different story when you get into pdf and paginated files.

also, the original poster says something about a sony 505. and the only refference about kindle is from you. so, do you really need to inject your advertisment?