View Full Version : Wee Wee Wee - Spam Police.

RCR
02-17-2009, 12:13 AM
I'm starting to feel like the spam police.

It looks like yet another first post to the forum just to promote something irrelevant. This post is in the LOUNGE titled "Getting the Act Right" by Devino84.

I reported yesterday's attempt directly to Kovid. If I see stuff like this, who should I be reporting it to?

These posts really annoy me. I've been on forums that are ruined by spammers. I would hate to see mobileread go that way.

daffy4u
02-17-2009, 12:16 AM
I'm starting to feel like the spam police.

It looks like yet another first post to the forum just to promote something irrelevant. This post is in the LOUNGE titled "Getting the Act Right" by Devino84.

I reported yesterday's attempt directly to Kovid. If I see stuff like this, who should I be reporting it to?

These posts really annoy me. I've been on forums that are ruined by spammers. I would hate to see mobileread go that way.

If you click the exclamation point ("!") next to the karma link of the post in question, a text box will open so that you can report the post as spam. Somewhere in Mod Central someone gets it and takes care of the problem. It's very magical.

RCR
02-17-2009, 02:36 AM
If you click the exclamation point ("!") next to the karma link of the post in question, a text box will open so that you can report the post as spam. Somewhere in Mod Central someone gets it and takes care of the problem. It's very magical.

Thanks. That's what I wanted to know.

Patricia
02-17-2009, 06:59 AM
And thank you to everyone who does report the spam. Thanks to your vigilance we have a nice clean forum.

lilac_jive
02-17-2009, 08:24 AM
And thank you to everyone who does report the spam. Thanks to your vigilance we have a nice clean forum.

Thanks for your hard work!

Sweetpea
02-17-2009, 09:42 AM

I was already looking for that function and couldn't find it :p

HarryT
02-17-2009, 11:39 AM

Besides which, it's great fun to be able to ban people! :)

MickeyC
02-17-2009, 01:02 PM
That's a great tip. I've reported spam in the past by simply emailing the link to one of the moderators.

ShortNCuddlyAm
02-17-2009, 03:49 PM
My only problem with reporting spam is that I'm running out of things to say in the comment box

daffy4u
02-17-2009, 04:11 PM
My only problem with reporting spam is that I'm running out of things to say in the comment box

I just write "spam" and move on (although my last report was "giant image spam").

DixieGal
02-17-2009, 04:57 PM
I have 2 cans of off-brand Spam from Aldi in the pantry. But have cholesterol labs to be collected in the morning. It's whats for dinner - tomorrow night! :pirateattack:

lilac_jive
02-17-2009, 06:04 PM
I have 2 cans of off-brand Spam from Aldi in the pantry. But have cholesterol labs to be collected in the morning. It's whats for dinner - tomorrow night! :pirateattack:

I have actually never eaten Spam in my entire life.

pshrynk
02-17-2009, 06:06 PM
Spam is from Minnesota, right across the Frozen Big River from the IceBox. There is actually a Spam Museum and a large concrete can of Spam outside the town where they make it.

pilotbob
02-17-2009, 06:07 PM

SPAMburgers can be pretty good.

BOb

pshrynk
02-17-2009, 06:08 PM
I sort of like Spam Chow Mein. A remnant from my impoverished med school daze...

lilac_jive
02-17-2009, 06:08 PM
SPAMburgers can be pretty good.

BOb

That doesn't sound appetizing...what does SPAM taste like?

pilotbob
02-17-2009, 06:10 PM

SPAM is short for spiced ham. Hard to describe... tast sort of like breakfast ham / Canadian bacon but not really.

BOb

pilotbob
02-17-2009, 06:11 PM

SPAM and eggs?

SPAM hash?

BOb

pshrynk
02-17-2009, 06:11 PM
I stuck my tongue on the screen one time when Spam was on it. It was sort of bland...

zelda_pinwheel
02-17-2009, 06:12 PM
I stuck my tongue on the screen one time when Spam was on it. It was sort of bland...

pfffffffffff ! :p

lilac_jive
02-17-2009, 06:12 PM
SPAM and eggs?

SPAM hash?

BOb

I could do SPAM and eggs.

ShortNCuddlyAm
02-17-2009, 06:13 PM
I just write "spam" and move on (although my last report was "giant image spam").

That would probably be the more sensible way of doing it :o

Lucky, lucky you.

I wasn't a vegetarian when I was a child (wasn't allowed to be, apart from anything else), and... urgh. *shudders*

pshrynk
02-17-2009, 06:14 PM
BLOODY VIKINGS!

pshrynk
02-17-2009, 06:14 PM
Hey, it had to be said!

netseeker
02-17-2009, 06:31 PM
Besides which, it's great fun to be able to ban people! :)
Attracted by power like a politician...the dark side of power is coming closer and closer. ;)

(Just imagine Darth Vaders breathing while you are reading this)

JSWolf
02-17-2009, 06:33 PM
Last time I bought off-brand baked beans, they were awful. But the other off-brand baked beans I bought before that were ok. Never buy Shaws brand baked beans. The sauce was watery and he beans were kind of gnarly.

ShortNCuddlyAm
02-17-2009, 06:35 PM
Last time I bought off-brand baked beans, they were awful. But the other off-brand baked beans I bought before that were ok. Never buy Shaws brand baked beans. The sauce was watery and he beans were kind of gnarly.

We tried Sainsburys own organic baked beans the other day. The beans were OK, but the sauce was really thin and watery :(

HarryT
02-18-2009, 04:17 AM

Try it - I love it! :)

DixieGal
02-18-2009, 10:44 AM
Spam is from Minnesota, right across the Frozen Big River from the IceBox. There is actually a Spam Museum and a large concrete can of Spam outside the town where they make it.

Oh Freakin' Wow!!! We will have to visit in the Big Behemoth, or as I call it, The Love Shack. We wanted a small camper, one of those that's not much bigger than a pickup. Then we lucked up onto a couple who had lost their jobs and needed mortgage money. Look what we got each other for Valentine's Day for $5800!

lilac_jive
02-18-2009, 10:51 AM
Oh Freakin' Wow!!! We will have to visit in the Big Behemoth, or as I call it, The Love Shack. We wanted a small camper, one of those that's not much bigger than a pickup. Then we lucked up onto a couple who had lost their jobs and needed mortgage money. Look what we got each other for Valentine's Day for $5800!

NICE!!!

pshrynk
02-18-2009, 11:10 AM
Dear lord! Tha thing's bigger than some third world countries!

desertgrandma
02-18-2009, 11:14 AM

sliced thin and fried.

It was the 'poor peoples' food when I was young...we ate lots of it........:p

desertgrandma
02-18-2009, 11:15 AM

I would invite you to visit me, but your unit is longer than my street. :)

zelda_pinwheel
02-18-2009, 11:17 AM
Dear lord! Tha thing's bigger than some third world countries!
not just them : i think it's easily bigger than luxembourg. ;)

desertgrandma
02-18-2009, 11:32 AM
not just them : i think it's easily bigger than luxembourg. ;)

hee hee hee........(Haaaack!) thanks for bring on a coughing fit..........:p

pshrynk
02-18-2009, 11:46 AM
Well, Andorra could certainly fit in the loo, there.

DixieGal
02-18-2009, 11:59 AM
LOL! You can see that it doesn't exactly fit into our yard. Waaay more than 2 people need, but we couldn't walk away from it at that price. It was built just for extroverts like us - it has a BUILT-IN ICEMAKER AND BLENDER, and a built-in gas grill (hidden in a vault on the outside)! I'll never need to find out if the stove works.

I was afraid of what the neighbors would say, but they are pleased not to have to look at our ugly wasteland of a front yard anymore.

We can drive our giant tin can to the Spam museum to look at that giant tin can!!

readingrocks!
02-18-2009, 12:03 PM
Misplaced comment

DixieGal
02-18-2009, 12:05 PM
sliced thin and fried.

It was the 'poor peoples' food when I was young...we ate lots of it........:p

I get cravings for it! And this Aldi version is even better, extra salty and greasy, with fewer tooth-busting bone chips than *real* Spam. Do y'all have Aldies yet? It's a cut rate store-brand supermarket? I've shopped at them in Europe, and now they have crossed the pond. Everything they sell is cheaper and tastier than the "big brand" version.

Bob: Spiced ham for sure... if you consider scalp meat to be ham. I think they make it out of parts that the hog continue to live a long life without. That's good eatin'! :D

pilotbob
02-18-2009, 12:06 PM
I was afraid of what the neighbors would say, but they are pleased not to have to look at our ugly wasteland of a front yard anymore.

My in-laws have one of those things. And, whenever they come to visit and park in the driveway... I always wait for the Neigboorhood association to start sending letters. No letters yet though. I think they are supposed to visit today... I can tell way before I get to the house if they have arrived yet.

BOb

DixieGal
02-18-2009, 12:11 PM
My in-laws have one of those things. And, whenever they come to visit and park in the driveway... I always wait for the Neigboorhood association to start sending letters. No letters yet though. I think they are supposed to visit today... I can tell way before I get to the house if they have arrived yet.

BOb

I was drinking water and nearly drowned from laughing! :rofl:

Oh, Why Not?
02-18-2009, 12:26 PM
From Wikipedia for those who don't know:

Spam is a canned precooked meat product made by the Hormel Foods Corporation. The labeled ingredients in the classic variety of Spam are: chopped pork shoulder meat with ham meat added, salt, water, sugar, and sodium nitrite to help keep its color. Spam's gelatinous glaze, or aspic, forms from the cooling of meat stock.[1] The product has become part of many jokes and urban legends about mystery meat, which has made it part of pop culture and folklore.

DixieGal
02-18-2009, 12:29 PM
From Wikipedia for those who don't know:

Spam is a canned precooked meat product made by the Hormel Foods Corporation. The labeled ingredients in the classic variety of Spam are: chopped pork shoulder meat with ham meat added, salt, water, sugar, and sodium nitrite to help keep its color. Spam's gelatinous glaze, or aspic, forms from the cooling of meat stock.[1] The product has become part of many jokes and urban legends about mystery meat, which has made it part of pop culture and folklore.

... made it part of pop culture and folklore and delicious meals ...

I think the gelatinous glaze makes it pop grease onto your arms when you cook it.

Oh, Why Not?
02-18-2009, 12:34 PM
I haven't had Spam in probably fifty years--I think I'll put it on my shopping list. (I do get too much of the other kind).

DixieGal
02-18-2009, 12:35 PM
DG, RadingRocks, and Bob: Didja ever have the pleasure of a meal of fried Spam and Kraft Mac&Cheese? It's heaven on a plate.

DixieGal
02-18-2009, 12:36 PM
I haven't had Spam in probably fifty years--I think I'll put it on my shopping list. (I do get too much of the other kind).

How can something so wonderful in a can be so horrible on my email? :chinscratch:

Patricia
02-18-2009, 03:38 PM
The original Spam wasn't too bad. But my school used to serve a very inferior pink "luncheon meat" which was utterly disgusting: a salty, fatty solidified pink slurry, with a layer of congealed fat rather than meat jelly.

In the 70s you could buy luncheon meat very cheaply in supermarkets; so pensioners, students and other poorer people would make fritters, curries and other dishes, in a desperate attempt to disguise the pink unpleasantness. This is the stuff that was made from reclaimed meat from the less palatable parts of a carcass. With all that salt and saturated fat, and cholesterol it must be dreadfully unhealthy.
Now, I don't mind unhealthy food occasionally, but it has to taste good. Luncheon meat doesn't. So I never touch the stuff.

DixieGal
02-18-2009, 04:13 PM
The original Spam wasn't too bad. But my school used to serve a very inferior pink "luncheon meat" which was utterly disgusting: a salty, fatty solidified pink slurry, with a layer of congealed fat rather than meat jelly.

In the 70s you could buy luncheon meat very cheaply in supermarkets; so pensioners, students and other poorer people would make fritters, curries and other dishes, in a desperate attempt to disguise the pink unpleasantness. This is the stuff that was made from reclaimed meat from the less palatable parts of a carcass. With all that salt and saturated fat, and cholesterol it must be dreadfully unhealthy.
Now, I don't mind unhealthy food occasionally, but it has to taste good. Luncheon meat doesn't. So I never touch the stuff.

Oh Bad Memories Resurfacing!

I remember that stuff! When it was heated, the meat-colored glue dissolved and it sort of fell apart.

readingrocks!
02-18-2009, 07:58 PM
Misplaced comment

phenomshel
02-20-2009, 02:23 AM
I like Spam salad, courtesy of my ex mother in law, who got me addicted to it. DG, are you hitting the road in the Behemoth? And if so, are you coming up to the Frozen North? (aka Illinois) If so, take a detour down the Lincoln Trail and I'll meet you somewhere...

GeoffC
02-21-2009, 10:14 AM

They used to come fried in batter at school.....

Patricia
02-21-2009, 05:51 PM
They used to come fried in batter at school.....

No wonder you became a vegetarian then, Geoff.

GeoffC
02-22-2009, 06:33 AM
No wonder you became a vegetarian then, Geoff.

No, I'm afraid I can't blame that one on school.....(and we're actually the next step over - Vegan).