View Full Version : A Couple of (Kindle 2) Questions

Sonist
02-09-2009, 10:30 PM
I just placed an order for a K2.

But, I'd love to confirm that:

1. When I purchase an ebook from the Kindle store, I will be able to strip its DRM so I can share it with my Iliad; and

2. The Search function works for PDFs.

Anyone able to do that?

JSWolf
02-09-2009, 10:34 PM
#1. If you have mobiDeDRM.py 0.04 or 0.05 and the eBooks are in AZW format, then you should be able to strip the DRM. But you'll also need to search the forum to find the Python program to get the Kindle's PID so you can strip the DRM.

#2. The Kindle 1 & 2 do not support PDF.

daffy4u
02-09-2009, 10:37 PM
Your pdf files will be converted to .azw (.mobi) and will be searchable in that form. If your pdf files are heavy on charts, graphs and tables the conversion won't be so hot. If they are mostly text, you'll be good to go. Use your iLiad for the complicated types of pdfs.

Sonist
02-09-2009, 10:39 PM
... #2. The Kindle 1 & 2 do not support PDF.

Thanks, JSWolf.

Argh, I just glanced at the Kindle 2 page and noticed PDF among the supported formats..., but the ones they'll convert for you for a small fee :-(

Bummer, does it at least support well HTML (into which I can convert my PDFs?)

wallcraft
02-09-2009, 10:43 PM
When I purchase an ebook from the Kindle store, I will be able to strip its DRM so I can share it with my Iliad Yes, provided it is an .AZW file. A few ebooks are in the TOPAZ format, which can't be stripped of its DRM. If an ebook page at Amazon does not list the ebook filesize in bytes, then it is probably a TOPAZ file. Or you can download the sample to be certain. TOPAZ ebooks usually have the .azw1 filename extension.

daffy4u
02-09-2009, 10:44 PM
There is no fee for conversion. There is a fee for of 10 cents transferring the converted file via whispernet. To date *no one* has been charged the fee. You also have the option of having the converted file sent back to you via email and you can transfer it to the Kindle yourself with the USB cable.

wallcraft
02-09-2009, 10:48 PM
I just glanced at the Kindle 2 page and noticed PDF among the supported formats..., but the ones they'll convert for you for a small fee :-(

Bummer, does it at least support well HTML (into which I can convert my PDFs?) The Kindle essentially only supports MOBI (it also reads TXT and single-file HTML renamed .txt). You can get Amazon to convert other files to this format via e-mail. This is free, but if you use whispernet to download it to your Kindle it in theory costs $0.10.

There is generally no need to do this. Calibre converts many formats (including PDF) to MOBI and so does Windows MobiPocket Reader and Creator. HTML converts ok to MOBI, and any PDF to MOBI starts with PDF to HTML.

Sonist
02-10-2009, 03:35 AM
Thanks, MOBI is actually perfect, since this is what I now load onto my Iliad BE, and I can just use the same files on the Kindle then. As well as go the other way for books purchased from Amazon.

I suppose I will have to avoid any Topaz books.

Thanks again!

JSWolf
02-10-2009, 03:40 PM
And once you strip the DRM from the AZW eBooks, you can use Calibre to convert to LRF, LIT, and/or ePub.

Leep
02-10-2009, 04:57 PM
It will be interesting to see if Igorsk's KindlePid will work on the Kindle2. Any thoughts on why it will or will not?

cheers

delphidb96
02-10-2009, 04:59 PM
Yes, provided it is an .AZW file. A few ebooks are in the TOPAZ format, which can't be stripped of its DRM. If an ebook page at Amazon does not list the ebook filesize in bytes, then it is probably a TOPAZ file. Or you can download the sample to be certain. TOPAZ ebooks usually have the .azw1 filename extension.

Topaz files can also have the extension .tpz. And no one has 'cracked' the DRM on Topaz yet, to my knowledge. At least one person has cracked the basic file structure, but I don't think any DRM cracking will occur until enough .tpz/azw1 files hit the market.

Derek

rrrlakin
02-14-2009, 12:50 AM
Don't know if this is the place to ask, but can I change the voice in which Kindle2 reads books--certainly some voices are easier and more pleasant for me to follow than others.

pilotbob
02-14-2009, 12:53 AM
Don't know if this is the place to ask, but can I change the voice in which Kindle2 reads books--certainly some voices are easier and more pleasant for me to follow than others.

I think it has two choices, Male or Female.

BOb

MsAstoria
02-16-2009, 11:06 PM
I think I read that you can vary the speech speed too. Check the Kindle 2 user manual on Amazon.com

desertgrandma
02-16-2009, 11:18 PM
click on my linky to download the Kindle 2 manual.......you can read it before you get your device.

ewayde
02-17-2009, 02:10 PM
As much as I am looking forward to my K2, I just realized there seems to be no slot for an SD card. Could this be true? I have a 4GB card in my K1 now.

Wayde

bwaldron
02-17-2009, 03:46 PM
As much as I am looking forward to my K2, I just realized there seems to be no slot for an SD card. Could this be true?

Yes, it is true and widely discussed around here. They bumped up the internal memory and removed the SD option on the Kindle 2.

desertgrandma
02-17-2009, 04:50 PM
As much as I am looking forward to my K2, I just realized there seems to be no slot for an SD card. Could this be true? I have a 4GB card in my K1 now.

Wayde

download the manual to see more information about your Kindle.

They did increase the memory to 2 GK, but I believe your useable is 1.4. Stated by the kindle guru's "thats all thats needed."

AnemicOak
02-20-2009, 09:02 PM
It will be interesting to see if Igorsk's KindlePid will work on the Kindle2. Any thoughts on why it will or will not?

cheers

I'd be interested to know this too. Hopefully folks will start getting their K2's next week and we'll find out.

I'm kinda interested in a K2, but only if I'll be able to unDRM the azw books I buy. Most/all fiction books are still azw right?

pilotbob
02-20-2009, 09:06 PM
I'd be interested to know this too. Hopefully folks will start getting their K2's next week and we'll find out.

I'm kinda interested in a K2, but only if I'll be able to unDRM the azw books I buy. Most/all fiction books are still azw right?

I don't think there is any worry. you can liberate the azw books today I don't see how why the kindle 2 will change that.

KindleFix I guess could be borked, but I bet someone will fix that quickly if it is the case.

BOb

AnemicOak
02-20-2009, 09:08 PM
I don't think there is any worry. you can liberate the azw books today I don't see how why the kindle 2 will change that.

KindleFix I guess could be borked, but I bet someone will fix that quickly if it is the case.

BOb

Just want to be sure I'd be able to pull a PID from it if I bought one.

pilotbob
02-20-2009, 09:12 PM
Just want to be sure I'd be able to pull a PID from it if I bought one.

Understood. But, the DRM system and server is probably going to be the same for the K2 and the K1.

Of course, I am always waiting for some first hand reports on this stuff.

BOb

TallMomof2
02-27-2009, 04:45 PM
You can still get the PID if you install MobiPocket Reader 6.0 to your PC. Once it's installed just connect your Kindle (1 or 2) to the PC and MobiPocket Reader will detect it. Click on the device and you can read the PID.

jesse
03-01-2009, 01:39 PM
KindlePid works on the K2