View Full Version : Pdb, epub, lit or pdf?

Sydney's Mom
01-29-2009, 08:14 PM
I want to download some books to my kindle. The downloads come in pdb, epub, lit or pdf format. I think I can use kindlefix and calibre on the lit and pdf. I'm not sure what to use on the others, and which format would be the easiest to convert to mobi. Opinions?

:thanks:
Debra

AnemicOak
01-29-2009, 08:21 PM
The Lit should be easy to convert. You can use Calibre to do it, although Mobi conversion is still in beta or you can use ConvertLit to explode the Lit then open the OPF file in Mobi Creator. Either way should take no time at all.

DaleDe
01-29-2009, 08:25 PM
I want to download some books to my kindle. The downloads come in pdb, epub, lit or pdf format. I think I can use kindlefix and calibre on the lit and pdf. I'm not sure what to use on the others, and which format would be the easiest to convert to mobi. Opinions?

:thanks:
Debra

Either LIT or ePUB. If you use Windows Mobipocket Reader the latest version will let you just drop an ePUB in the window. Calibre can also translate ePUB to Mobi. There is a program you can download called convertlit that can convert LIT files and Calibre can also do it although this is still only beta.

Dale

Sydney's Mom
01-29-2009, 08:28 PM
Thanks, guys! By the way, these are the harlequin romance freebies - didn't tell you, cause maybe you wouldn't have helped!

pilotbob
01-29-2009, 08:48 PM
I'm guessing those books will be free in the Kindle store too. Not sure but it usually happens.

BOb

wallcraft
01-29-2009, 09:28 PM
By the way, these are the harlequin romance freebies Note that "free" does not always imply "DRM-free". If the ePub is a Secure Adobe ePub, then ePub won't work and your best bet is LIT.

AnemicOak
01-29-2009, 09:31 PM
The Harlequin freebies aren't DRM'd. They're supposed to be available free for both the Sony & the Kindle soon too.

Sydney's Mom
01-30-2009, 02:26 AM
I downloaded the PDF and converted with Mobi Creator Prof. They look great. I am going to try to convert some other versions, to compare. Thanks, Debra

pdurrant
01-30-2009, 04:35 AM
I suspect that Harlequin's Mobipocket versions will be back up sometime soon. They got pulled because they had accidentally been created with DRM turned on.

I downloaded the PDF and converted with Mobi Creator Prof. They look great. I am going to try to convert some other versions, to compare. Thanks, Debra

Sydney's Mom
01-30-2009, 12:59 PM
Oh, but I couldn't wait!

ebookguru
02-09-2009, 10:18 PM
I find converting the PDF's is the easiest way to go. Mobi Creator will allow you to convert almost any PDF to prc format. It should also be noted that if the PRC files don't have DRM then they can be read on your Kindle without any conversion.

Cheers,

JSWolf
02-09-2009, 10:25 PM
The best conversion to Mobipocket format will be from the MS Reader versions.