View Full Version : Google analytics slowing things down

pilotbob
01-28-2009, 11:17 PM
I have noticed... and I'm not sure it is has been recently or always this way... but when I am reading the forum many times the browser will sit and spin when I am waiting for it to set the page to the next unread message.

Pretty much whenever I am doing this the status bar says it is transferring data from google analytics. Did you recently start using this. It seems like at least 1 time in 5 I am seeing this pause when I move from page to page.

But, it is rather annoying and I am considering blocking that domain so my this pause won't happen.

BOb

Leep
01-28-2009, 11:28 PM
Have noticed precisely the same thing since the MR shutdown. Very slow loading.

Alexander Turcic
01-29-2009, 02:52 AM
Have noticed precisely the same thing since the MR shutdown. Very slow loading.

Hmmm. The downtime we experienced is almost certainly not related to any slowdowns you may experience, since all that happened ever since is that we replaced a faulty hard drive in the raid with an identical new one.

Pretty much whenever I am doing this the status bar says it is transferring data from google analytics.

Personally I haven't experienced any problems with it, but I will look closer into this. It would help if you tell me what browsing software you're using. Thanks! ;)

JSWolf
01-29-2009, 02:58 AM
I do notice that every once in a while these anylitic sites do slow things down and blocking them certainly works to remove that.

Gaurnim
01-29-2009, 06:50 AM
I'm using Firefox, with the NoScript extension, which is set to block google-analytics.
Possibly some of them are also blocked by AdBlock.
It works fine for me, then.

RobbieClarken
01-29-2009, 07:03 AM
Haven't noticed anything so Adblock probably takes care of Google analytics.

Leep
01-29-2009, 10:55 AM
Using internet explorer 7.0 and today Mobile Read is loading normally without the Google delay.

cheers

Alexander Turcic
01-29-2009, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the update. We have done two changes:

1. disable ads until we receive word from our Google contact how to remedy slow loading times.

2. load analytics asynchronously to prevent it from blocking the page from executing.

zelda_pinwheel
01-29-2009, 11:41 AM
i am using mainly firefox but chrome today, and i experience the occasional delay (rarely), but i do notice that since these changes the site is loading lightning quick.

pilotbob
01-29-2009, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the update. We have done two changes:

1. disable ads until we receive word from our Google contact how to remedy slow loading times.

2. load analytics asynchronously to prevent it from blocking the page from executing.

Performance is so much better now.

BOb

pilotbob
01-29-2009, 06:04 PM
Just noticed another "stopper". One message thread I went into the browser hung on pulling something from pixel.quatserve.com. I am assuming it was a graphic or maybe someones avatar. Not sure if there is much you can do about that.

BOb

Nate the great
02-03-2009, 11:29 AM
I think I might know the answer.

Do you see the dragons in my signature? I think that is causing the slowdown. I was just over at www.dragcave.net, and I noticed that whenever I look at one of my dragons google analytics and pixel.quantserve are both contacted.

pilotbob
02-03-2009, 11:31 AM
Do you see the dragons in my signature? I think that is causing the slowdown. I was just over at www.dragcave.net (http://www.dragcave.net), and I noticed that whenever I look at one of my dragons google analytics and pixel.quantserve are both contacted.

Actually I do see them now. Prior to this I was just seeing blurry fuzzy dots. Or, perhaps that is how they are supposed to work.

BOb

Nate the great
02-03-2009, 11:34 AM
Actually I do see them now. Prior to this I was just seeing blurry fuzzy dots. Or, perhaps that is how they are supposed to work.

BOb

When they've had too many views in one day, there is an option to hide them in fog. From now on I'll just remove them, instead.

pilotbob
02-03-2009, 11:36 AM
When they've had too many views in one day, there is an option to hide them in fog. From now on I'll just remove them, instead.

So, what are they exactly? Sort of like neopets or tomagotchi?

BOb

Nate the great
02-03-2009, 11:37 AM
yep .

Wetdogeared
02-03-2009, 07:08 PM
I see a lot of "transferring data from dragcave.net" going on. These dragons may be taking their toll. :chinscratch:

pilotbob
02-11-2009, 12:41 PM
I am now running Ad Block Plus and added dragcave.net to my blocking rules. While I don't see Nate, Ricky, and Nekomi's dragons any more... this has improved those hangs that I was seeing.

It appears dragcave.net just doesn't have the best bandwidth/performance.

BOb