View Full Version : Suggestions for Mods....

desertgrandma
01-20-2009, 07:18 PM
I've noticed a lot of new members lately.

I'm wondering if it wouldn't be easier for people to introduce themselves if the "welcome" sticky , with a linky to the "introduce yourself" forum was permanently posted on the home page, in a highly visible location.

Lots of 'newbies' aren't very computer savvy, and I'm thinking maybe when they first get here they are overwhelmed by the choices.

Just a thought. :)

Alexander Turcic
01-20-2009, 07:23 PM
desertgrandma, you're speaking out of my heart. In fact, we would like to redo a lot of things soon to make MR more approachable.

Guiding links is one aspect. I also believe the frontpage needs some serious overhaul - something I have been considering for a while. Not sure if this could make an interesting contest...

lilac_jive
01-20-2009, 07:27 PM
desertgrandma, you're speaking out of my heart. In fact, we would like to redo a lot of things soon to make MR more approachable.

Guiding links is one aspect. I also believe the frontpage needs some serious overhaul - something I have been considering for a while. Not sure if this could make an interesting contest...

Well another possibility would be to show a prompt after a person has registered saying "Go here to introduce yourself, or click here to browse the forums."

desertgrandma
01-20-2009, 07:34 PM
Well another possibility would be to show a prompt after a person has registered saying "Go here to introduce yourself, or click here to browse the forums."

Good, but first the person has to know where to go to register.
Now, I'm not saying its impossible or even very difficult to find, but I am saying lots of people see the page and don't know where to start. I was there once. :)

lilac_jive
01-20-2009, 07:41 PM
Good, but first the person has to know where to go to register.
Now, I'm not saying its impossible or even very difficult to find, but I am saying lots of people see the page and don't know where to start. I was there once. :)

Ahh gotcha!

nekokami
01-20-2009, 10:04 PM
One website I was on recently wouldn't let you post anywhere else until you'd posted at least once in the "introduce yourself" forum. I think that was a bit over the top, personally. But they also had a message with links to FAQs and other commonly needed threads that would display at the top of the page until the user had posted 10 times. That's a thought.

zelda_pinwheel
01-20-2009, 10:08 PM
they also had a message with links to FAQs and other commonly needed threads that would display at the top of the page until the user had posted 10 times. That's a thought.

that seems like a good idea. off hand, i would say we should include links to the wiki, the e-ink matrix, the "which one should i buy ?" forum... and probably some others.

nekokami
01-20-2009, 11:35 PM
What? No Silliness threads??? ;)

desertgrandma
01-20-2009, 11:40 PM

We want to keep them here as long as possible before subjecting them to that, don't we? The longer they're here, the less chance they go running into the woods in terror.....

nekokami
01-21-2009, 12:16 AM
But... isn't that why people come here? Or at least stay here? :blink:

Sweetpea
01-21-2009, 04:02 AM
One website I was on recently wouldn't let you post anywhere else until you'd posted at least once in the "introduce yourself" forum. I think that was a bit over the top, personally. But they also had a message with links to FAQs and other commonly needed threads that would display at the top of the page until the user had posted 10 times. That's a thought.

Hmm, I know one where you can post in existing threads, but not create new threads until you've made a few posts.

Well, not everybody is as crazy as some of us new ones...

Curly
01-21-2009, 07:34 AM
that seems like a good idea. off hand, i would say we should include links to the wiki, the e-ink matrix, the "which one should i buy ?" forum... and probably some others.

Yes! It would be a great help if the wiki was more prominently displayed (it took some time for me to find it -- think I stumbled across a link in the 'which one should I buy' thread). It is kinda hidden up at the top of the page.

Many of us newbies have found the forum by a google search when looking for specific information. So it would be useful to have a section for 'beginners' which included an introduce your self thread, links to wiki, the matrix and possibly how to post / navigate round the forum threads as well as register.

** Actually, having said that, I think this forum is very well laid out and visually appealing compared to many I've seen. Topics are organised in a logical manner and it is reasonably easy to find what you're looking for.

I also think your banter in the lounge is quite entertaining to those of us who are new around here, but perhaps newbies aren't sure about joining in with a such as friendly and jovial group.

:thanks:

desertgrandma
01-21-2009, 10:00 AM
I also think your banter in the lounge is quite entertaining to those of us who are new around here, but perhaps newbies aren't sure about joining in with a such as friendly and jovial group.

:thanks:

Please!!! Just take a deep breath and jump in whenever you choose. We love new vic............uh.....contributors!
Seriously, the more the merrier. :D

Curly
01-21-2009, 10:17 AM
:) (nice smilies here by the way)

Wetdogeared
01-21-2009, 10:53 AM
It would be nice, although adding space to user profiles, if you had a switch to turn on or off for each forum that you want displayed on the MobileRead Forums page. The MobileRead Forums page is getting so long I have to page down too often to get where I want to go. I know there are a few shortcuts but...there are some devices and some formats that I am never going to use and I could probably shorten *my* forums to one page.

(please don't tell me this is already possible, no yes please do?)

I don't know if this would be easy or tough or take up too much space, just dreaming here. :)

*edit* I just collapsed some of the forum headings on my MobileRead Forums page that I never use or seldom use. This makes for a shorter and cleaner page for me.

Wetdogeared
01-21-2009, 10:59 AM
It would be nice if you had the option to turn off the quick response area displayed in the thread. I seldom use it (I know there are others that use it often), and since it may be the cause of my IE not positioning properly at next new post I would gladly give this up. :)

Wetdogeared
01-21-2009, 11:04 AM
While I'm here, I would also like to suggest that the signature portion of user profiles be cut in half. I realize this may tick off a few members but I consider this a lot of clutter and waste of space and time and energy having to scroll more often than necessary.

Nate the great
01-21-2009, 11:05 AM
It would be nice if you had the option to turn off the quick response area displayed in the thread. I seldom use it (I know there are others that use it often), and since it may be the cause of my IE not positioning properly at next new post I would gladly give this up. :)

Click on the button in the upper right corner of the Quick Reply window.

Wetdogeared
01-21-2009, 11:07 AM
Thanks Nate, never even saw that there. Hope this solves my probs with not positioning at last new post. I'll let Alex know if this solves my problem.:thanks:

zelda_pinwheel
01-21-2009, 11:08 AM
well, those would be some of the "others" i alluded to, of course. ;) (actually, the karma thread might be good to add, people seem to be confused about that frequently, or not understand what it is).
We want to keep them here as long as possible before subjecting them to that, don't we? The longer they're here, the less chance they go running into the woods in terror.....
i suppose that's one perspective...
that's why *i* stay here, anyway. :)

Wetdogeared
01-21-2009, 11:13 AM

Thanks Nate, never even saw that there. Hope this solves my probs with not positioning at last new post. I'll let Alex know if this solves my problem.:thanks:
This didn't work as expected, I still get repositioned to the top of the page of the last post, or to the bottom of the page where the quick response area has been collapsed:( Good suggestion though.:)

*edit* I also collapsed the Similar Threads heading, this made to difference to my repositioning problem either.

ShortNCuddlyAm
01-21-2009, 11:38 AM

I wouldn't have stayed if it hadn't been for the silliness threads. Or at least, I would have done, but I'd not've posted anywhere near as much.

Which may not have been such a bad thing ;)

zelda_pinwheel
01-21-2009, 11:49 AM
This didn't work as expected, I still get repositioned to the top of the page of the last post, or to the bottom of the page where the quick response area has been collapsed:( Good suggestion though.:)

*edit* I also collapsed the Similar Threads heading, this made to difference to my repositioning problem either.

have you tried using firefox ? this seems the obvious solution, if this problem bothers you... if you are using a work computer where you cannot install anything, you could use portable firefox (http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable). it can even be kept on a usb drive.

nekokami
01-21-2009, 03:49 PM
I was partially in jest about the silliness threads, but I definitely think the Karma thread would be a good one to include. Also something about uploading new books and checking for existing ones.

GeoffC
02-21-2009, 11:21 AM
Is it possible to place a copy of the "nav buttons bar" (User cp; E-books etc) at the bottom of the page too ?

Alexander Turcic
02-21-2009, 11:26 AM
This has been requested in the past. While I see how it could be useful, I hesitate because the nav buttons bar adds a lot of HTML clutter to the page, thus slowing down loading times. At a later stage this year we will move over to a table less design; when we are there, it could be feasible to duplicate the bar.

GeoffC
02-21-2009, 11:47 AM
This has been requested in the past. While I see how it could be useful, I hesitate because the nav buttons bar adds a lot of HTML clutter to the page, thus slowing down loading times. At a later stage this year we will move over to a table less design; when we are there, it could be feasible to duplicate the bar.

No problem ....

Gosh - your to-do list must be an arm's length

Alexander Turcic
02-21-2009, 11:51 AM
Gosh - your to-do list must be an arm's length

And I have long arms like a monkey. :D

GeoffC
02-21-2009, 11:53 AM
And I have long arms like a monkey. :D

Oook .... (sorry)