View Full Version : Go to first new post - not always working

Wetdogeared
01-19-2009, 01:27 PM
Anyone else out there who, while trying to get to the first new post of a subscribed thread, is taken to the top of the last page of the thread *or* to the bottom of the last page of the thread? :blink:

About 50% of the time, I'm not repositioned to the first new post.:blink:

*edit* Sometimes, it will quickly display the last post and then just as quickly go to the top of the last page. Very annoying!

Thanks WDE.

pshrynk
01-19-2009, 01:34 PM
Anyone else out there who, while trying to get to the first new post of a subscribed thread, is taken to the top of the last page of the thread *or* to the bottom of the last page of the thread? :blink:

About 50% of the time, I'm not repositioned to the first new post.:blink:

Thanks WDE.
I'm having that problem as well.

Wetdogeared
01-19-2009, 01:37 PM
I'm having that problem as well.
Glad to see I'm not alone. Strange happenings are usually my own fault.:)

zelda_pinwheel
01-19-2009, 01:37 PM
what are you clicking on ?

Wetdogeared
01-19-2009, 01:39 PM
what are you clicking on ?
The little blue arrow pointing downward, just to the left of the thread title on my list of subscribed threads that have new postings. While hovering over it, it displays 'Go to first new post'.

lilac_jive
01-19-2009, 01:46 PM
I'm having the same problem too, but I kind of like it :p

zelda_pinwheel
01-19-2009, 01:48 PM
The little blue arrow pointing downward, just to the left of the thread title on my list of subscribed threads that have new postings. While hovering over it, it displays 'Go to first new post'.

okay, so that's right then... what browser are you using ?

Wetdogeared
01-19-2009, 01:49 PM
okay, so that's right then... what browser are you using ?
IE7 (ya, I know!):rolleyes:

Alexander Turcic
01-19-2009, 01:50 PM

Strange. I tested it with threads I am subscribed to and it seems to work properly. I would need to try with a few more subscriptions and see if I encounter the same problem.

Btw, what browser(s) are you using? Edit: Ah, IE7. Ok I will use it next to test subscriptions.

zelda_pinwheel
01-19-2009, 01:52 PM
IE7 (ya, I know!):rolleyes:
well pfff !! get a real browser, and we'll talk ! :rolleyes:

http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

(seriously though, i'm not having that problem, and i can't think where it could be coming from, apart from possibly a bug in ei, but maybe alex can help).

pshrynk
01-19-2009, 02:09 PM
The problem is also, it doesn't happen all the time, so it is doubly annoying.

Alexander Turcic
01-19-2009, 02:16 PM
Hm... I subscribed to this thread and when you posted a new message, I used IE7 to jump to the latest unread post as described by Wetdogeared. I guess I have to keep trying to see if/when things go wrong. ;)

Wetdogeared
01-19-2009, 02:19 PM
The problem is also, it doesn't happen all the time, so it is doubly annoying.
Yes it is. I updated my original post to say it happens about 50% of the time (I'm being generous). To clarify again, it does quickly display the first new post, and then just as quickly displays the top of the last page.)

It's like having to read the previous chapter of a book again before you can continue to the next chapter...etc..etc..

lilac_jive
01-19-2009, 02:22 PM
Yes it is. I updated my original post to say it happens about 50% of the time (I'm being generous). To clarify again, it does quickly display the first new post, and then just as quickly displays the top of the last page.)

It's like having to read the previous chapter of a book again before you can continue to the next chapter...etc..etc..

I don't mind it as much since it's usually ones I've read already and I automatically scroll to the bottom anyway. But if it makes you feel better I don't like it enough to make you suffer so I can keep it :p

I noticed when I'm in the reply page it'll knock down an inch or so a little while after the page loads.

Wetdogeared
01-19-2009, 02:25 PM
I don't mind it as much since it's usually ones I've read already and I automatically scroll to the bottom anyway. But if it makes you feel better I don't like it enough to make you suffer so I can keep it :p

I noticed when I'm in the reply page it'll knock down an inch or so a little while after the page loads.
I just clicked on this new post and was taken to post #1.:blink:

pilotbob
01-19-2009, 02:31 PM

Are you sure you are waiting until the page is fully rendered? If I recall IE does just a bit while it is rendering the page.

BOb

lilac_jive
01-19-2009, 02:32 PM
Oh to clarify I am not clicking the blue arrow, I am clicking the last page post.

pilotbob
01-19-2009, 02:33 PM
Oh to clarify I am not clicking the blue arrow, I am clicking the last page post.

Well, going to the last page is much different than going to next unread message.

BOb

Wetdogeared
01-19-2009, 02:34 PM
Are you sure you are waiting until the page is fully rendered? If I recall IE does just a bit while it is rendering the page.

BOb
Yes, I do wait, it sometimes takes a few seconds to reposition.

When I am at the end of reading a thread, I always scroll down to the bottom of the page and click 'top'. In the past this has always book-marked where I left off.

Alexander Turcic
01-19-2009, 02:34 PM
Wetdogeared, next time before you press on the arrow icon, could you right click/copy the link and paste it so that I see how it looks like?

lilac_jive
01-19-2009, 02:35 PM
Well, going to the last page is much different than going to next unread message.

BOb

Yes but it was jumping to the bottom of the page nonetheless (not the top like it used to).

pilotbob
01-19-2009, 02:39 PM
Yes but it was jumping to the bottom of the page nonetheless (not the top like it used to).

Hmm.. I never used that link. You should use the little blue down arrow. The brings you to first new post.

BOb

lilac_jive
01-19-2009, 02:40 PM
Hmm.. I never used that link. You should use the little blue down arrow. The brings you to first new post.

BOb

I know. It's bad habit.

ShortNCuddlyAm
01-19-2009, 02:47 PM
It's all working fine in opera ;) :p

Wetdogeared
01-19-2009, 02:54 PM
Wetdogeared, next time before you press on the arrow icon, could you right click/copy the link and paste it so that I see how it looks like?
I right clicked on title of the thread and copied/pasted the shortcut below?

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36795

Am I able to right click on the blue arrow? I'll check that out next. (If someone would please add a new post to this thread)

pshrynk
01-19-2009, 03:00 PM
Here ya go!

Alexander Turcic
01-19-2009, 03:01 PM
This is the thread's main URL. Unfortunately, it doesn't help me to debug this problem. If it's possible, next time you have an upgrade to your subscription, post the link that appears in your browser's address field after you clicked on the arrow.

Wetdogeared
01-19-2009, 03:02 PM
Here ya go!
Oddly enough, I got taken to the right post. Here is the shortcut I get by right clicking on the blue arrow.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=36795

Wetdogeared
01-19-2009, 03:04 PM
Here ya go!
Can ya post another one of those, please.:) WDE

Alexander Turcic
01-19-2009, 03:06 PM
Excellent that shortcut seems correct and it should always be the same. Basically what it does it (by using goto=newpost inside the URL) is to rewrite the URL so it jumps to the latest unread post. Alright. With the next update, could you also post the resulting URL that appears in your address bar after you clicked on the arrow?

Wetdogeared
01-19-2009, 03:12 PM
Excellent that shortcut seems correct and it should always be the same. Basically what it does it (by using goto=newpost inside the URL) is to rewrite the URL so it jumps to the latest unread post. Alright. With the next update, could you also post the resulting URL that appears in your address bar after you clicked on the arrow?
Your post allowed me to click on next new post. It took me to your new post. Url at top of screen is as follows:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?p=330487#post330487

Alexander Turcic
01-19-2009, 03:18 PM
Your post allowed me to click on next new post. It took me to your new post. Url at top of screen is as follows:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?p=330487#post330487

Good. This is correct. The number you see here (post330487) shows the id of the post your browser is supposed to scroll to. If you click on the link you posted (which scrolls you to my earlier post), you see on the top right of my post a number (#30). If you hover over it with your mouse, you should see the same post id that you were redirected to.

At this point I am out of ideas why at times your browser seems to jump to the wrong unread post. The best is if you keep us updated as soon as it happens again and post the relevant links here.

Another thought: Are you using different browsers?

zelda_pinwheel
01-19-2009, 03:24 PM
i seem to remember having trouble with IE and named anchors a while back, it was not correctly jumping to them. maybe it's just a bug in IE (*gasp* !!). i can't remember how i managed to fix the problem myself though, sorry.

Wetdogeared
01-19-2009, 03:36 PM
Good. This is correct. The number you see here (post330487) shows the id of the post your browser is supposed to scroll to. If you click on the link you posted (which scrolls you to my earlier post), you see on the top right of my post a number (#30). If you hover over it with your mouse, you should see the same post id that you were redirected to.

At this point I am out of ideas why at times your browser seems to jump to the wrong unread post. The best is if you keep us updated as soon as it happens again and post the relevant links here.

Another thought: Are you using different browsers?
No, I always use the same browser. Other than copying the shortcut everytime I go to look at a new post, I don't know how I can further a solution. I'll see if there is any rhyme or reason as to why I'm not getting repositioned at the new post.

Thanks for your help. Maybe if more members have the same problem we can pin it down.

Alexander Turcic
01-19-2009, 03:44 PM
Other than copying the shortcut everytime I go to look at a new post, ...

Thanks. This might help us to solve the problem. :)

Wetdogeared
01-19-2009, 05:01 PM
Other than copying the shortcut everytime I go to look at a new post,...

Thanks. This might help us to solve the problem. :)
I have been copying the shortcut before going to new posts (the shortcut contains the newpost keyword). Sometimes it takes me there but most times I get put at the top of the last page. However I have noticed the following:

1. The post# in the URL at the top of the screen is the correct post#, yet I may have to scroll down a few pages to find the new post.

2. If I am incorrectly positioned at the top of the last page and hit enter, nothing happens, BUT...

3. If I highlight the URL at the top of the page, then hit enter, I am repositioned at the proper post.

Hope this helps. WDE

Wetdogeared
01-19-2009, 07:16 PM
I have been copying the shortcut before going to new posts (the shortcut contains the newpost keyword). Sometimes it takes me there but most times I get put at the top of the last page. However I have noticed the following:

1. The post# in the URL at the top of the screen is the correct post#, yet I may have to scroll down a few pages to find the new post.

2. If I am incorrectly positioned at the top of the last page and hit enter, nothing happens, BUT...

3. If I highlight the URL at the top of the page, then hit enter, I am repositioned at the proper post.

Hope this helps. WDE
4. If I hit the refresh arrows at the top of screen (this probably does the same thing as #3) it may take a second or 2, but I will be positioned at the correct post, matching the post# in the URL.

This sounds like IE problem, yes?/no?

WDE.

Alexander Turcic
01-20-2009, 03:11 AM
Hmm. I have an idea. Will look into it today.

Alexander Turcic
01-20-2009, 04:59 AM
It occured to me that using Internet Explorer, it sometimes takes a _long_ time to display threads. It seems that the pages are waiting until everything loads and then the entire page just 'pops' into view. This, in turn, causes IE to occasionally misplace anchored links - which is why the "go to first unread post" didn't always work for you.

The culprit, I believe, was the Quick Reply box near the bottom of the page; in particular the formatting controls (bold, italic, etc.) took a long time to initialize with IE. So what I did is to remove these controls. The quick reply box is still there, of course, and I don't believe many will miss these controls anyhow (you can always use the standard reply button to have all controls available). At least on my computer using IE, the page loading speed has improved.

Perhaps we'll make it a user option to customize the quick reply box, which would allow you to disable it completely to further increase loading speeds.

Feedback appreciated. ;)

Wetdogeared
01-20-2009, 10:14 AM
Feedback appreciated. ;)
Hi Alex, here is some feedback. I'm not sure if you have implemented your changes yet, but the new posts did seem to display somewhat quicker this morning. These are the results of the 8 new posts that I clicked on:

3 of them repositioned to the right new post
1 of them repositioned to the quick response at the bottom of page
4 of them repositioned to the top of the last page, a refresh of the screen would reposition to the right new post.

Your efforts to alleviate this problem are appreciated.

Thanks.WDE

Alexander Turcic
01-20-2009, 10:21 AM
Hi WDE,

yes we've already implemented the changes. At this point, I don't think there is anything we can do other to make it an option for users to turn off the Quick Reply all together (assuming this is the culprit, which I believe it is).

zelda_pinwheel
01-20-2009, 10:22 AM
Hi WDE,

yes we've already implemented the changes. At this point, I don't think there is anything we can do other to make it an option for users to turn off the Quick Reply all together (assuming this is the culprit, which I believe it is).
alex, if you make it optional, can you add back the B I etc. buttons for those who do display it ? i miss those (and i'm not using IE). :o

Alexander Turcic
01-20-2009, 10:28 AM
Yeah I will. Apparently it doesn't even matter, since WDE seems to be having the same issues.

Honestly, I am stunned by this problem. It is IE-only, and occurs randomly. My guess is it has to do with various factors, like, how fast your connection is, how fast the page loads, and how fast IE initializes the Javascript for the reply box. If things take too long, IE wouldn't jump the the proper anchor link. Stupid IE. ;)

zelda_pinwheel
01-20-2009, 10:29 AM
Yeah I will. Honestly, I am stunned by this problem. It is apparently IE-only, and apparently occurs only occasionally. My guess is it has to do with various factors, like, how fast your connection is, how fast the page loads, and how fast IE initializes the Javascript for the reply box. Stupid IE. ;)

can't say THAT enough !! ;) (seriously, WDE, here's how to fix your problem : get firefox (http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/). problem solved ! :p)

pilotbob
01-20-2009, 11:56 AM
can't say THAT enough !! ;) (seriously, WDE, here's how to fix your problem : get firefox (http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/). problem solved ! :p)

Or chrome or Safari or IE8 beta.

BOb

zelda_pinwheel
01-20-2009, 11:59 AM

BOb

or one of them, yes. although i haven't seen IE8 beta yet so i reserve my judgement, and i don't trust IE in general as far as i could throw it, so preferably any of the other ones. ;) especially firefox. :D (although, chrome has a lot of nice features too, and does seem to be improving. but i think it's missing some important features still).

Wetdogeared
01-21-2009, 11:37 AM
I tried collapsing (-) the Quick Response area plus the Similar Topics area but this made no change to my reposition to next new post problem. I can only assume that what is done behind the scenes is done whether you display it or not.

I really don't want to change browser.

Also, this problem has only become a major headache in just the last few weeks. Any changes made that could have affected just IE?

ShortNCuddlyAm
01-21-2009, 11:39 AM

BOb

Or Opera! :D

zelda_pinwheel
01-21-2009, 11:55 AM
I tried collapsing (-) the Quick Response area plus the Similar Topics area but this made no change to my reposition to next new post problem. I can only assume that what is done behind the scenes is done whether you display it or not.

Also, this problem has only become a major headache in just the last few weeks. Any changes made that could have affected just IE?
why not ? is there a specific reason you don't want to change browser ? if it's just because you're used to it, i promise you that firefox (for example) is really not any more difficult to use than IE, however it works much better, is more standards-compliant, and has fewer security holes than IE. IE is a BAD BROWSER (not standards compliant, full of security holes, many many quirks... problems interpreting anchor links, for instance... :rolleyes:). you shouldn't use it. you wouldn't have this problem if you just change browsers for instance, wouldn't that make you happy ?

pilotbob
01-21-2009, 11:57 AM
Or Opera! :D

Uh.. no. I would say stick with IE7 over Opera. It just doesn't work on alot of popular sites.

BOb

pilotbob
01-21-2009, 11:59 AM

Why? It's pretty simple to do. Firefox will import all your book marks. You can even keep IE as your default browser. If you don't like FF after a week of use, uninstall it.

Are you at least using IE7 and not IE6?

BOb

zelda_pinwheel
01-21-2009, 12:04 PM
Why? It's pretty simple to do. Firefox will import all your book marks. You can even keep IE as your default browser. If you don't like FF after a week of use, uninstall it.

Are you at least using IE7 and not IE6?

BOb

yes, that's a good point : you don't have to give up IE completely if you really prefer it (although i bet you won't, after you start using firefox...). but at least try it out. it won't uninstall IE and you don't have to select it as your default browser. that way you have options.

and if you *are* still using IE6 and not 7, then you really have no business complaining about *any* weird rendering problems, or the Webstandards Fairy is going to come to your house and turn you into a frog. ;)

pilotbob
01-21-2009, 12:08 PM
yes, that's a good point : you don't have to give up IE completely if you really prefer it (although i bet you won't, after you start using firefox...). but at least try it out. it won't uninstall IE and you don't have to select it as your default browser. that way you have options.

For me, I never really saw a need to run Firefox either. The reason I stared using it was due to the free Foxmarks add in. This syncs your bookmarks between multiple PCs. That add-in alone was the reason I switched. But, once I started using it I really did find it to be faster. Also, I heard to many resource issues with the 2.x version. But 3.x has been stable and memory usage is down. I even use Firefox on my Mac over Safari (even though Safari seems a bit faster). Once again due to being able to use Foxmarks.

Lack of foxmarks is the main reason I haven't tried chrome... even though so may people say how awesome and fast it is.

BOb

zelda_pinwheel
01-21-2009, 12:10 PM
For me, I never really saw a need to run Firefox either. The reason I stared using it was due to the free Foxmarks add in. This syncs your bookmarks between multiple PCs. That add-in alone was the reason I switched. But, once I started using it I really did find it to be faster. Also, I heard to many resource issues with the 2.x version. But 3.x has been stable and memory usage is down. I even use Firefox on my Mac over Safari (even though Safari seems a bit faster). Once again due to being able to use Foxmarks.

BOb

there are many many little firefox features or add-ons that you don't think you need until you start using them, and discover they are in fact indispensable. ;)

Lack of foxmarks is the main reason I haven't tried chrome... even though so may people say how awesome and fast it is.

BOb

chrome does have some really nice features but i don't think it's quite robust enough *or* fully featured enough to become my principal browser (yet ?). however i do love being able to drag tabs out of / into windows. i wish i could do that in firefox. (i should check, there might be an add-on that let's you do that. ;))

pilotbob
01-21-2009, 12:12 PM
This is: :offtopic:

there are many many little firefox features or add-ons that you don't think you need until you start using them, and discover they are in fact indispensable. ;)

Yep... although I think some of them should be built in. The main two I use are Foxmarks and Downloadthemall and delicious. I also use Roboform add-in but I have roboform for IE long before I started using Firefox.

BOb

pilotbob
01-21-2009, 12:13 PM
however i do love being able to drag tabs out of / into windows. i wish i could do that in firefox. (i should check, there might be an add-on that let's you do that. ;))

Actually, I hear that FF 3.1 will allow you to do this.

BOb

zelda_pinwheel
01-21-2009, 12:13 PM
Yep... although I think some of them should be built in. The main two I use are Foxmarks and Downloadthemall and delicious. I also use Roboform add-in but I have roboform for IE long before I started using Firefox.

BOb
i haven't heard of roboform, what does that do ? i use foxmarks myself, not the other two. i've got plenty of others that i wouldn't want to give up though.

zelda_pinwheel
01-21-2009, 12:27 PM
Actually, I hear that FF 3.1 will allow you to do this.

BOb

really ??? :wideeyed: brilliant news !! any idea when it will be out ? (i just tried to update, current version is still 3.0.5 apparently)

pilotbob
01-21-2009, 12:27 PM
i haven't heard of roboform, what does that do ? i use foxmarks myself, not the other two. i've got plenty of others that i wouldn't want to give up though.

Roboform is a password manager/form filler. It makes it easy to have a unique password to every web site you use. they are all stored under a single master password. It will gen the passwords for you too. It also has wallet/indenty form filling features. All my web passwords are randomly generated 15 characters long. (The only passwords I know it my head are my gmail and paypal) The built in password stuff in FF doesn't compare.

It is free for I think up to 10 remembered web locations. Then you have to pay for it. I have two copies, one for my work and one for my home PC. I sync them using dropbox which is free. There is also a portable version that will run from a USB key if you use alot of public PCs or travel or whatever.

BOb

pilotbob
01-21-2009, 12:28 PM

Roboform is a password manager/form filler. It makes it easy to have a unique password to every web site you use. they are all stored under a single master password. It will gen the passwords for you too. It also has wallet/indenty form filling features. All my web passwords are randomly generated 15 characters long. (The only passwords I know it my head are my gmail and paypal) The built in password stuff in FF doesn't compare.

It is free for I think up to 10 remembered web locations. Then you have to pay for it. I have two copies, one for my work and one for my home PC. I sync them using dropbox which is free. There is also a portable version that will run from a USB key if you use alot of public PCs or travel or whatever.

BOb

zelda_pinwheel
01-21-2009, 12:31 PM

BOb

ah nice... i should probably look into that as well.

Jellby
01-21-2009, 12:33 PM
Uh.. no. I would say stick with IE7 over Opera. It just doesn't work on alot of popular sites.

I've been using Opera for... 10 years? Ever since version 3.something. And I would never change back to anything else. If it doesn't work with a site (better: if a site is designed to keep Opera away) I just ignore that site.

pilotbob
01-21-2009, 12:34 PM
I've been using Opera for... 10 years? Ever since version 3.something. And I would never change back to anything else. If it doesn't work with a site (better: if a site is designed to keep Opera away) I just ignore that site.

gmail to name one.

zelda_pinwheel
01-21-2009, 12:36 PM

i've got nothing against opera and i test the sites i make to be sure they work using it, but opera does interpret css rules differently from other browsers which means i have to make special conditional comments just for opera if i want the same appearance on all browsers. i would like opera much better if this were not the case. i will say though that it's much better than IE.

ShortNCuddlyAm
01-21-2009, 12:44 PM
gmail to name one.

I don't have any problems with gmail in Opera

zelda_pinwheel
01-21-2009, 12:48 PM
I don't have any problems with gmail in Opera
the only problem i have with gmail in opera (but it's enough to keep me from using it) is that when i click "open in new window" (which i frequently do, to have the mail i'm replying to in reference next to my reply), the "new window" cannot leave the inside of the current window :smack: if i slide it to the side, it will disappear under the edge of the original window. what in god's name is the point of that ??? i don't know what genius came up with that behavior but it drives me crazy.

Wetdogeared
01-21-2009, 01:03 PM
why not ? is there a specific reason you don't want to change browser ? if it's just because you're used to it, i promise you that firefox (for example) is really not any more difficult to use than IE, however it works much better, is more standards-compliant, and has fewer security holes than IE. IE is a BAD BROWSER (not standards compliant, full of security holes, many many quirks... problems interpreting anchor links, for instance... :rolleyes:). you shouldn't use it. you wouldn't have this problem if you just change browsers for instance, wouldn't that make you happy ?
Hang on a sec will ya. It just took me an hour to install Firefox U3 on cruzer USB drive and to get it to work properly. First thing I saw was llamas and reply to mobile read clip on left of screen. Looks good so far. A lot of painting going on, maybe because it is on USB mini drive.:eek:

I'm giving it a test drive..this may take a while, I've been using IE for so long.:D

If this can keep everything separate on the USB drive I intend to use it.

Wish me luck. (but if any problems with others on my PC using IE then it's gotta go.:thanks:

Jellby
01-21-2009, 01:05 PM
the "new window" cannot leave the inside of the current window :smack: if i slide it to the side, it will disappear under the edge of the original window. what in god's name is the point of that ???

That's a "new page" in Opera's parlance. Many years ago, Opera was the first browser to have "tabs", and back then they were called "windows" (well, I think Opera calls them "tabs" now too). It was one of the features that made me love Opera at first sight. Instead of having the desktop full of browser windows, I could have my several open web pages in a single Opera window (with pages/tabs inside).

You can always right-click on the tab button (in the tab bar) and select "detach", that should create a new window at desktop level. Or you can go to Preferences > Advanced > Tabs > Additional tabs options and check "Open windows instead of tabs". Most things in Opera can be configured.

zelda_pinwheel
01-21-2009, 01:08 PM
Hang on a sec will ya. It just took me an hour to install Firefox U3 on cruzer USB drive and to get it to work properly. First thing I saw was llamas and reply to mobile read clip on left of screen. Looks good so far. A lot of painting going on, maybe because it is on USB mini drive.:eek:

I'm giving it a test drive..this may take a while, I've been using IE for so long.:D

If this can keep everything separate on the USB drive I intend to use it.

Wish me luck. (but if any problems with others on my PC using IE then it's gotta go.:thanks:

brilliant, i'm glad to hear you are trying it out ! :) it won't cause any problems with your pc or with ie, even if you install the non-portable version, really.

the only trouble you may have using the portable version from a flash drive is it might be a bit slower, that is because reading from a flash drive can sometimes be slower than reading from an internal drive. since it's portable, why not try just copying it to a folder on your internal drive, if the slowness gets annoying ? it still won't be installed, and you can easily delete it if you want. but it should run a bit faster. and you can take a look at some of the extra features as well, like add-ons, on mozilla.org.

just a question, what do you mean by painting ?

Wetdogeared
01-21-2009, 01:11 PM
just a question, what do you mean by painting ?
Graphics being painted in noticeable steps.

Already liking the spell checker.:D

zelda_pinwheel
01-21-2009, 01:11 PM
That's a "new page" in Opera's parlance. Many years ago, Opera was the first browser to have "tabs", and back then they were called "windows" (well, I think Opera calls them "tabs" now too). It was one of the features that made me love Opera at first sight. Instead of having the desktop full of browser windows, I could have my several open web pages in a single Opera window (with pages/tabs inside).

You can always right-click on the tab button (in the tab bar) and select "detach", that should create a new window at desktop level. Or you can go to Preferences > Advanced > Tabs > Additional tabs options and check "Open windows instead of tabs". Most things in Opera can be configured.

no, i'm talking about a pop-up window which is mobile and not docked in the tab bar ; i can slide it around, however i cannot slide it out of the viewport. i just tried to right click on the title bar, nothing happened. i can take a screen shot if you don't know what i mean. it's a pop-up window which is opened when you click on the "new window" button in the gmail interface.

zelda_pinwheel
01-21-2009, 01:13 PM
Graphics being painted in noticeable steps.

Already liking the spell checker.:D

i'm trying really hard to resist saying "i told you so !" hehehe... :D glad you like it. that's a feature i really appreciate as well. ;) the painting is probably from browsing from a flash drive ; try placing the portable version on your hard drive to make it run faster.

Wetdogeared
01-21-2009, 01:40 PM
i'm trying really hard to resist saying "i told you so !" hehehe... :D glad you like it. that's a feature i really appreciate as well. ;) the painting is probably from browsing from a flash drive ; try placing the portable version on your hard drive to make it run faster.
I've been trying to move the portable version from the flash drive to a folder on my hard drive, but I can find hide nor hair of any mention of firefox on the flash drive.:blink: I just click on a new little launchpad icon and select firefox. Try to look in USB drive for firefox using Windows Explore to, at the minimum, put a shortcut onto my desktop but can't find anything.

I'm not sure If I can download the portable version and run from hard drive. Vista gave me big error that program must be run from USB.:blink:

Anyway, it's fun lookin at all these new screens.:D

pilotbob
01-21-2009, 01:44 PM
since it's portable, why not try just copying it to a folder on your internal drive, if the slowness gets annoying ? it still won't be installed, and you can easily delete it if you want. but it should run a bit faster.

I don't think you can do that with the U3 version. U3 apps basically "install" on the USB drive. It has it's own little mirror of various windows system folders. I think there is also a registry re director.

I agree... just install it properly on the PC and don't make it the default browser. It will not conflict with the OS or IE in any way.

BOb

Over
01-21-2009, 01:45 PM
It works fine in IE6 and IE7. Maybe it's something not directly related to the browser?

BTW, I love IE7. Stop hurting my feelings, people!

Jellby
01-21-2009, 01:45 PM
no, i'm talking about a pop-up window which is mobile and not docked in the tab bar ; i can slide it around, however i cannot slide it out of the viewport. i just tried to right click on the title bar, nothing happened. i can take a screen shot if you don't know what i mean. it's a pop-up window which is opened when you click on the "new window" button in the gmail interface.

In Opera (I don't know about other browsers) you can have non-maximized tabs, just right-click on any tab button and select "Restore", it is now a window like you describe, you can move it around but it remains confined in the main Opera workspace. Likewise, you can then right-click on the title bar of this window and select "Maximize". But there is still a button representing this tab/window in the tab bar, or at least I get it.

The first image shows my normal setup, I clicked on the green link ("new window") and the "window" marked in blue appeared, which is represented by the button marked in red in the tab bar. You can see how this window disappears behind the right bar, where I have some search boxes and blurred out links. (Ignore the "djelibeibi" thing on the bottom right corner, it's just another always-on-top app.)

The second image is just after I right-clicked on the tab button and selected "detach" (and then resized and moved the now desktop-level Opera window). Note that now the new window is a full Opera one, with button bar, tab bar, etc., but it's only limited by the desktop.

For the third image I checked the "Open windows instead of tabs" option in the preferences, as I said, and clicked again on the "new window" link. Now the new window does not have the button bars, but again is not limited by the parent Opera window.

Isn't this what you meant?

zelda_pinwheel
01-21-2009, 01:47 PM
I've been trying to move the portable version from the flash drive to a folder on my hard drive, but I can find hide nor hair of any mention of firefox on the flash drive.:blink: I just click on a new little launchpad icon and select firefox. Try to look in USB drive for firefox using Windows Explore to, at the minimum, put a shortcut onto my desktop but can't find anything.
that's... odd. are you using some sort of launching app / dock / etc. ? if yes it might have its own file structure, i suppose... but you should still be able to find the app. if you can't, just download it again to your hard drive.
I'm not sure If I can download the portable version and run from hard drive. Vista gave me big error that program must be run from USB.:blink:
hoo boy, ie AND vista ! no wonder there is weird stuff happening to you. ;) seriously though, i don't know why vista would give you that error, a portable app can be run from anywhere, including a hard drive, that's the beauty of it. there may be some strange thing in vista that i don't know about but even there i can't imagine why it wouldn't work.
Anyway, it's fun lookin at all these new screens.:D
yep, it's fun to discover new ways to do things ! and firefox has a lot of fun features. you should take a look at this thread : Firefox 3 and extensions you can't live without (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24921). you might find some tempting ones. ;)

Wetdogeared
01-21-2009, 01:47 PM
It works fine in IE6 and IE7. Maybe it's something not directly related to the browser?

Over, you using XP or Vista or what??:blink:

pilotbob
01-21-2009, 01:49 PM

course you can only say that if you have tried to use FireFox. Give it a week.

BOb

Over
01-21-2009, 01:56 PM
Over, you using XP or Vista or what??:blink:

IE6 in XP and IE7 in Vista.

course you can only say that if you have tried to use FireFox. Give it a week.

BOb

A few months ago, when Mozilla released Firefox 3, I've tried it. But ended up uninstalling it. IE7 runs slickier, faster in my system. That, and the fact that Firefox doesn't display 100% correctly many sites that were created with only IE in mind.

Maybe it's a matter of habit, but if I have no complains, no need to change. ;)

zelda_pinwheel
01-21-2009, 02:02 PM
In Opera (I don't know about other browsers) you can have non-maximized tabs, just right-click on any tab button and select "Restore", it is now a window like you describe, you can move it around but it remains confined in the main Opera workspace. Likewise, you can then right-click on the title bar of this window and select "Maximize". But there is still a button representing this tab/window in the tab bar, or at least I get it.
yes,i see the tab for the pop-up.
The first image shows my normal setup, I clicked on the green link ("new window") and the "window" marked in blue appeared, which is represented by the button marked in red in the tab bar. You can see how this window disappears behind the right bar, where I have some search boxes and blurred out links. (Ignore the "djelibeibi" thing on the bottom right corner, it's just another always-on-top app.)
right, THAT is exactly the behavior i am talking about.
The second image is just after I right-clicked on the tab button and selected "detach" (and then resized and moved the now desktop-level Opera window). Note that now the new window is a full Opera one, with button bar, tab bar, etc., but it's only limited by the desktop.
hm. i don't have this "detach" option. i even just updated to be sure i had the latest version (now using Opera v.9.63). is this a plug-in or a basic function ? my opera is in french but there is nothing in the context menu of a tab that looks like "detach", and i tried some of the more ambiguous options just in case but no joy.
For the third image I checked the "Open windows instead of tabs" option in the preferences, as I said, and clicked again on the "new window" link. Now the new window does not have the button bars, but again is not limited by the parent Opera window.
this is what i would *like* to do ; but i cannot seem to manage it.
Isn't this what you meant?
yes, exactly...

zelda_pinwheel
01-21-2009, 02:12 PM
I don't think you can do that with the U3 version. U3 apps basically "install" on the USB drive. It has it's own little mirror of various windows system folders. I think there is also a registry re director.

I agree... just install it properly on the PC and don't make it the default browser. It will not conflict with the OS or IE in any way.

BOb

ah okay, i don't what U3 is, i was thinking of just standard portable apps : http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable i haven't used it recently (no need) but in the past, portable apps were stand-alone exes which did not install anywhere or use a launcher / dock, and could be placed and executed on any kind of drive (hard drive, usb drive, etc.). this is what i was thinking of.

Jellby
01-21-2009, 02:15 PM
hm. i don't have this "detach" option. i even just updated to be sure i had the latest version (now using Opera v.9.63). is this a plug-in or a basic function ? my opera is in french but there is nothing in the context menu of a tab that looks like "detach", and i tried some of the more ambiguous options just in case but no joy.

I'm using Opera 9.60, but I think it's been around for a long time (it's just before "Customize" for me, second to last)...

Maybe this helps: http://my.opera.com/Tamil/blog/index.dml/tag/Window

ShortNCuddlyAm
01-21-2009, 02:53 PM
ah okay, i don't what U3 is, i was thinking of just standard portable apps : http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable i haven't used it recently (no need) but in the past, portable apps were stand-alone exes which did not install anywhere or use a launcher / dock, and could be placed and executed on any kind of drive (hard drive, usb drive, etc.). this is what i was thinking of.

U3 is something along the same lines as portable apps. I've gone for portable apps on my USB stick because one of my preferred anti-malware is available for that but not U3.

zelda_pinwheel
01-21-2009, 10:07 PM
I'm using Opera 9.60, but I think it's been around for a long time (it's just before "Customize" for me, second to last)...

Maybe this helps: http://my.opera.com/Tamil/blog/index.dml/tag/Window

thanks for that link, i think i know what's wrong now : i don't have "detach" in the menu, and following this link http://my.opera.com/Tamil/blog/edit-menu-setup if i want it i have to edit the .ini configuration file (i didn't bother to pursue it for the moment, it's getting quite late. :rolleyes:). i think i remember you mention you are on linux, it's possible it's a standard option there, judging by the edit they propose.

i did find another way to get the window out : you can drag the tab into the title bar, this gives you a new opera window with the popup floating inside it, and if you maximise the popup it fills up that window. i suppose this is a reasonable compromise.

nonetheless, it's really annoying that you have to go through so much trouble for this and it seems like really poor ergonomy : logically, if i click "open new window" it must be because i want a new window. what is the point of opening a new window which is stuck inside the current viewport ??? i don't understand why opera made this the default behavior, and makes the process for getting an actual new window so convoluted.

thanks for the explanation though, i'm glad that at least now i know how to do it, even it took me many posts, three screenshots, and an opera "how to" site. :rolleyes:

Jellby
01-22-2009, 06:14 AM
nonetheless, it's really annoying that you have to go through so much trouble for this and it seems like really poor ergonomy : logically, if i click "open new window" it must be because i want a new window.

But if you click "open in new window" in Opera's context menus, you get a new window. The "trouble" is that a link in Gmail is named "new window" and it's not guaranteed to be really a new window in all browsers. They probably use some javascript which is interpreted differently on different browsers.

I guess you can always try the second option I gave: setting the tabs to "open windows instead of tabs", then you'd probably have to use the context menu if you want a tab instead of a window...

zelda_pinwheel
01-22-2009, 10:09 AM
But if you click "open in new window" in Opera's context menus, you get a new window. The "trouble" is that a link in Gmail is named "new window" and it's not guaranteed to be really a new window in all browsers. They probably use some javascript which is interpreted differently on different browsers.

I guess you can always try the second option I gave: setting the tabs to "open windows instead of tabs", then you'd probably have to use the context menu if you want a tab instead of a window...

hmph, i suppose, but opera seems to be the *only* browser interpreting this code differently... and browsers interpreting code in unexpected ways that are different from all other browsers is the reason webdesigners spend so much time cursing. :rolleyes: and i still can't imagine under what circumstances anyone could *ever* want that result, it seems thoroughly impractical and pointless.

have you ever seen this graph ?

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j196/Spit_Me_Out_666/web-design.gif

i should point out it is from 2006, so things may have evolved slightly, and also that the red segment about using tables is totally wrong in my case (i loathe tables and i only use them for tabular data, never for design).

the true breakdown is probably somewhere between that chart and this one :

http://graphjam.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/webdev.png

DaleDe
01-22-2009, 11:57 AM

Actually I like IE7 as well when I use it as an RSS browser. For regular stuff I am an old Netscape kind of guy so I use SeaMonkey. It is based on firefox but has a user interface that looks and operates like netscape including the email function.

Dale

pilotbob
01-22-2009, 12:01 PM
Actually I like IE7 as well when I use it as an RSS browser.

Wow. really. RSS in IE is lame to me. I use FeedDemon. Have you tried it. It is free now.

BOb

DaleDe
01-22-2009, 12:02 PM
Wow. really. RSS in IE is lame to me. I use FeedDemon. Have you tried it. It is free now.

BOb

No, has it got categories? That is a great feature in IE7.

Dale

pilotbob
01-22-2009, 12:04 PM
No, has it got categories? That is a great feature in IE7.

Dale

I assume you mean a way to organize the feeds? If so, then yes, you can do that using folders.

BOb

DaleDe
01-22-2009, 12:15 PM
I assume you mean a way to organize the feeds? If so, then yes, you can do that using folders.

BOb

No, that is not what I mean. RSS feeds can have categories and if you can't support that you are missing one of the great features. For example http://www.mobilecrossing.com/support/tipsfeed.xml uses categories. So many readers don't support it that it isn't as commonly used as it once was. Too bad IMHO.

Dale

DaleDe
01-22-2009, 12:22 PM
Note that http://feeds.mobileread.com/mr/front supports categories in its RSS feed.

Currently mine reads (only better formatted)
Announcements21
Apple iPhone1
Bookeen Cybook Gen32
Deals, Freebies, and Resources9
Feedback2
Fictionwise eBookwise3
Gen3 Developer's Corner1
iLiad Developer's Corner2
iRex Digital Reader8iRex
iLiad4
Kindle Content3
Lounge4
News and Commentary92
OpenInkpot1
Other Devices6
PDF1
Polymer Vision Readius1
Reader PRS-505 Dev Corner1
Reading Recommendations2
Reading Software3
Sony Portable Reader3
Sony Portable Reader PRS-500/5053
Sony Portable Reader PRS-7002
Week in Review24
Which one should I buy?1

tompe
01-22-2009, 12:22 PM
No, that is not what I mean. RSS feeds can have categories and if you can't support that you are missing one of the great features. For example http://www.mobilecrossing.com/support/tipsfeed.xml uses categories. So many readers don't support it that it isn't as commonly used as it once was. Too bad IMHO.

I use reader.google.com since I need to be able to read the feed from different computers. Do you know if it supports categories?

DaleDe
01-22-2009, 12:30 PM
I use reader.google.com since I need to be able to read the feed from different computers. Do you know if it supports categories?

I fired up my copy and it looks like it does not or at least I can't find it.

Dale

pilotbob
01-22-2009, 12:47 PM

Dale

Interesting. This is the first I have ever heard of this. I checked into this with feeddemon. The new version of FD supports tags and they list categories as suggested tags. I have posted a message in the beta support forum asking if posts could be auto tagged using categories. I assume that is what you would be wanting.

One of the things I like about FD is that is uses the Newsgator sync service so read status and flags are synced between my two Windows PCs and with NetNewsWire on my Mac.

BOb

Wetdogeared
01-22-2009, 01:08 PM
course you can only say that if you have tried to use Firefox. Give it a week.

BOb
I have downloaded and am going to give Firefox a workout for a week.

I am at a bit of a disadvantage because I have only downloaded it as a portable application, which has some limitations.

My first attempt, I downloaded to a U3 Thumb drive. The drive software was a might cranky and the drive itself somewhat slow. The screen would paint, ie. I would be shown a gray box that said 'Patricia's avatar' and it would paint over this from the top down to show the avatar. A lot of repositioning of the web screens going on also.

My second attempt I downloaded a whole suite of portable applications, including Firefox, to a newly reformatted Memory Stick PRO-DUO 1G. This suite is much more stable than the U3 version I tried first, it is also a lot faster coming from the memory stick. The screens are still painted slower than my IE7, I assume this is because of the memory stick, plus the fact that it is an older version of Firefox v2.00.14 (last updated in 2007 but the latest portable version there is). My MR 'position at next new post' is working OK. The only thing that isn't working is that some ads are not displaying in the ad banner (I like this).

My first impression is that it isn't any faster or cooler looking than my IE7, which I have been using forever, with the knowledge that I am not running Firefox v3 in full application mode. There are a gazillion add-ons, of which I may pick less than 6, not much more than I have with IE7. I don't do any development on this PC, just browsing, uploading/downloading, email, on-line photo albums, search/buying books...etc, and of course MR, but I can see how others could make use of a lot of those extras. If I get the hang of this, and find a few add-ons that are indispensable that IE7 doesn't have, I'll try and download the latest version as a full application (for me only, there are others on this PC). I was leery when I tried to download firefox months ago, after checking 'no' to making it my default browser, there was another question (which I can't recall) which wanted to replace something with something else, and I thought I wouldn't be able to get back to my IE7 or screw up someone else's).

Any *must have* add-on suggestions would be appreciated, keeping in mind that I don't want any RSS feeds or any on-line applications (I know which of those I want), games, music or any fancy home page stuff. The simpler/smaller my toolbar(s) are, the better.

*note* I was disappointed that my Norston identity safe doesn't work on the portable application, but is available (with a fix) on Firefox v3. (There is a poor facsimile that came with the portable apps, but nowhere near as good as Norstons identity safe).

Thanks to all members that offered help. I'm giving this an honest try. If I don't like it I'll go back to IE7 (and I'll hear no more complaints from any of you:p). After all, according to wikipedia IE7 has 70% of the market.:)

WDE.

pilotbob
01-22-2009, 01:21 PM
Any *must have* add-on suggestions would be appreciated, keeping in mind that I don't want any RSS feeds or any on-line applications (I know which of those I want), games, music or any fancy home page stuff. The simpler/smaller my toolbar(s) are, the better.

foxmarks for book mark backup/syncing
roboform for password management and form filling
downloadthemall for fast downloading/management
better gmail (if you are a gmail users)
speeddial quick access to frequently visted sites.

Also, get used to using the "Awesome bar". Use ctrl-t to open a new tab and put focus into the URL/address bar. Then just type where you want to go. It will quick fill from your bookmarks and recently visited places. Much faster than slogging through the book mark menu.

you can also tag bookmarks if you are into that. But, with the awesome bar I haven't found a need to do this.

Set up keywords on some of your bookmarks. This lets you do various stuff. For example, I have a bookmark of:

"Kindle Store"
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_kinc?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=%s

Keyword = k

Then in the awesome bar I can just type

k this book here

And it will go and search in the kindle store.

You can also set these up for google and wikipedia. Sure, you can use the search bar (ctrl-k) but then you have to use the mouse to select where to search, and it stays at that location.

The awesome bar and foxmarks pretty much settled it for me. I only use IE7 now to browse the app we work on (it is deved for IE and doesn't work in FF.)

BTW: I find rendering and javascript stuff to be much faster in Firefox.

BOb

DaleDe
01-22-2009, 01:40 PM
Interesting. This is the first I have ever heard of this. I checked into this with feeddemon. The new version of FD supports tags and they list categories as suggested tags. I have posted a message in the beta support forum asking if posts could be auto tagged using categories. I assume that is what you would be wanting.

One of the things I like about FD is that is uses the Newsgator sync service so read status and flags are synced between my two Windows PCs and with NetNewsWire on my Mac.

BOb

I use categories as a filter. You can then easily pick up a subset of a feed that you are interested in. I really want categories. I will look at feeddemon.

Dale

pilotbob
01-22-2009, 01:41 PM
I use categories as a filter. You can then easily pick up a subset of a feed that you are interested in. I really want categories. I will look at feeddemon.

Dale

I see. These days most blogs or other RSS feeds have the "main" top level feed and they also have feeds for various categories and tags which you can subscribe to.

BOb

DaleDe
01-22-2009, 01:50 PM
I see. These days most blogs or other RSS feeds have the "main" top level feed and they also have feeds for various categories and tags which you can subscribe to.

BOb

Yes, but with categories there is one feed and I can take a look and read the stuff in the order I like skipping what I am not interested in. I don't need to remember to add yet another feed. Everything has its pluses and minuses.

Dale

pilotbob
01-22-2009, 01:51 PM
Yes, but with categories there is one feed and I can take a look and read the stuff in the order I like skipping what I am not interested in. I don't need to remember to add yet another feed. Everything has its pluses and minuses.

Dale

I understand. Sounds useful. But, I pretty much look at the topic for every news item I d/l in every feed.

BOb

ShortNCuddlyAm
01-22-2009, 03:54 PM
and also that the red segment about using tables is totally wrong in my case (i loathe tables and i only use them for tabular data, never for design).

Nice to hear! Well, um, read... :)

vivaldirules
01-22-2009, 06:50 PM
Wow. I saw this thread yesterday and wanted to read if it's related to a problem I'm having (and I believe I know the cause of it) but with over 100 posts already I'm not really interested in reading it all. So, two quick questions:

1. Has the issue been resolved (or at least understood)? and
2. Is it related to this problem I posted the other day (which I would hope could be fixed some way, perhaps by preventing datavis.com from participating in the ads we host)?:

I hate it when I click on a thread and my browser is instantly redirected to the portion of the page where there is an ad displayed by this one particular company. I can live with ads being displayed. But leave the control of what I look at on that page to me. This has been happening far too frequently the last couple of weeks. Death to datavis.com.

zelda_pinwheel
01-22-2009, 06:56 PM
Wow. I saw this thread yesterday and wanted to read if it's related to a problem I'm having (and I believe I know the cause of it) but with over 100 posts already I'm not really interested in reading it all. So, two questions:
what ? you're not excited to read 100 posts of debugging and technical discussions ? how strange. :rolleyes:

it can be resolved by not using IE as your browser. use firefox instead. or chrome. (or opera, if you really must. :rolleyes:)
2. Is it related to this problem I posted the other day (which I would hope could be fixed some way, perhaps by preventing datavis.com from participating in the ads we host)?:

I hate it when I click on a thread and my browser is instantly redirected to the portion of the page where there is an ad displayed by this one particular company. I can live with ads being displayed. But leave the control of what I look at on that page to me. This has been happening far too frequently the last couple of weeks. Death to datavis.com.
probably not, however that shouldn't be happening : an ad should not hijack the page to display itself. i've not seen that particular ad so i can't comment for sure but i don't even see how that could be possible, since i'm pretty sure the ads are served passively in the background ; there is no link from within the site (that you would click on to get to the page with the ad in it, for instance) which would include an anchor to jump to that ad, and the ad should not include any extra script to force that behavior.

what browser are you using ? if it's IE, for god's sake, get a real browser (http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/). ;) that will probably solve all your problems. or at least most of them.

if the ad *is* jumping to the top of the page (which, again, should not happen) then alex might need to look into it, but again i'm not sure that's possible. you can also use AdBlock Plus plugin (in firefox) to block the ad ; then you don't even have to see it.

Wetdogeared
01-22-2009, 08:01 PM
Wow. I saw this thread yesterday and wanted to read if it's related to a problem I'm having (and I believe I know the cause of it) but with over 100 posts already I'm not really interested in reading it all. So, two quick questions:

ya lazy dog. They're forcing me, almost physically, to change browsers. My IE worked great until a few weeks ago, repositioning me in MR at all the wrong places. Now they have me trying Furfox. I told them I would give it a week....we'll see.:)

ShortNCuddlyAm
01-22-2009, 09:14 PM
It's far betterer and nicer than IE, and it has a cuter logo! plus it's more standards compliant than IE, which means it's easier for the nice web designers and developers to get a site looking good in it, without having to jump through arbitary MS-imposed hoops to get it too work and look good.

It's my other browser of choice. I only use IE if I absolutely have to.

lilac_jive
01-22-2009, 09:16 PM
You know what I noticed and I am too lazy to see if anyone mentioned it, is that it goes right to "Forum Jump" and a forum is selected.

Wetdogeared
01-23-2009, 12:51 PM
Just found, and installed, Firefox v3.0.5 portable application.

Working a lot smoother than the older version I had.

One more star for Firefox, a few more to go.

WDE.

lilac_jive
01-23-2009, 08:59 PM
Just found, and installed, Firefox v3.0.5 portable application.

Working a lot smoother than the older version I had.

One more star for Firefox, a few more to go.

WDE.

I can't install it, I'm surfing on my work laptop.

zelda_pinwheel
01-23-2009, 09:01 PM
I can't install it, I'm surfing on my work laptop.

pssst ! http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

lilac_jive
01-23-2009, 09:02 PM
pssst ! http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

Hmmm...

I'm so lazy :p

tlrowley
01-24-2009, 11:58 AM
Wetdogeard, you're not alone. I'm seeing a similar "jump to the bottom of the page" as I load a new page (Mac OS X 10.5, Safari). It happens (sometimes) when I click on the "new posts" button, and also when I pick the next page directly at the bottom of the current screen. It only ever happens on this site and it's starting to drive me crazy(-ier).

Anything I can do to help debug?

zelda_pinwheel
01-24-2009, 12:03 PM
Wetdogeard, you're not alone. I'm seeing a similar "jump to the bottom of the page" as I load a new page (Mac OS X 10.5, Safari). It happens (sometimes) when I click on the "new posts" button, and also when I pick the next page directly at the bottom of the current screen. It only ever happens on this site and it's starting to drive me crazy(-ier).

i think alex has requested that you copy the url when you see this behavior, and paste it here so he can check if there's something strange happening.

very odd behavior.

tlrowley
01-24-2009, 12:10 PM
There's nothing wrong with the URL, I can load the page several times in a row and sometimes it will jump, and sometimes it won't. I've turned off ad blocking and pop-up blocking.

It jumps to just below this mysterious box: http://idisk.mac.com/tlrowley/Public/Pictures/Skitch/Go_to_first_new_post_-_not_always_working_-_Page_7_-_MobileRead_Forums-20090124-080950.jpg

To be fair, with ad blocking on, I had assumed that this box was a missing ad. Now, I have no idea what it is. The mouseover reads "Run script "no opt()."". Clicking on the small link in the left hand corner has no effect.

zelda_pinwheel
01-24-2009, 12:22 PM
There's nothing wrong with the URL, I can load the page several times in a row and sometimes it will jump, and sometimes it won't. I've turned off ad blocking and pop-up blocking.

It jumps to just below this mysterious box:

To be fair, with ad blocking on, I had assumed that this box was a missing ad. Now, I have no idea what it is. The mouseover reads "Run script "no opt()."". Clicking on the small link in the left hand corner has no effect.
aha, now that is intriguing ! i would have thought that is an ad as well, usually in that place it would be. maybe it's an ad which is malfunctioning / partially blocked, but nonetheless managing to place the script to jump to the ad (i don't know for sure, but i bet that's not really allowed). vr was having this trouble with a specific ad, maybe these are all related after all (i've never had this trouble or that ad, so i don't know).

we will have to see what alex finds.

pilotbob
01-24-2009, 12:26 PM
we will have to see what alex finds.

Interesting. I have seen that too, but it has never affected the correct positioning in the browser. I always thought it was a bad add too. Perhaps FireFox is immune to this where IE and Safari are not.

BOb

tlrowley
01-24-2009, 12:33 PM
Yeah, with ads unblocked (yuck), I see that it is a spot for an ad (and when the pages are loading correctly there is an ad in that spot). Is there a way to determine which ad it is supposed to be? I see that VR said that it was datavis, but I can't seem to determine that, but I might be willing to place a bet.

Wetdogeared
01-24-2009, 01:20 PM

Thanks for your support tlrowley, maybe Alex will take another look if it involves more than just IE. I would like to return to my favorite browser.:blink:

*note* ads by datavis are at bottom of my screen

vivaldirules
01-24-2009, 01:23 PM
ya lazy dog. They're forcing me, almost physically, to change browsers. My IE worked great until a few weeks ago, repositioning me in MR at all the wrong places. Now they have me trying Furfox. I told them I would give it a week....we'll see.:)

(yawn) Yep, I know I'm lazy. Sorry, but it's a lot of work for a dog to.....(yawn).......forgot what I was gonna say. Anyway, I'll get back to you. By the way, I'm forced to use IE at work (my PC is "locked down") which is where I do much of my MR'ing. I'm sure many others are in the same (sinking or stinking) boat with me.

By the way, it's now quite clear to me that the problem I'm experiencing (I'm unsure of problems others are having) is due to the ads from datavis.com.

zelda_pinwheel
01-24-2009, 01:28 PM
Thanks for your support tlrowley, maybe Alex will take another look if it involves more than just IE. I would like to return to my favorite browser.:blink:

*note* ads by datavis are at bottom of my screen

that is the same ad mentioned by vr. can you check if there is a correlation between your screen jumping problem and the ad ? (but don't give up on firefox !! it's worth staying with it, really !)

by the way, Alex, since it's not linked to the quick reply box, can we please have the formatting etc. buttons back now ?? i really miss those !!

Wetdogeared
01-24-2009, 01:32 PM
(yawn) By the way, it's now quite clear to me that the problem I'm experiencing (I'm unsure of problems others are having) is due to the ads from datavis.com.
'bout time you got up! ;) I think I'll keep track of which add is at the bottom of my screens to see if there is some consistency when I'm not repositioned properly. This issue is fairly recent, had no problems a few weeks ago. But that means I would have to postpone my trial of Furfox, it being a good excuse and all, to further research and development and bug swatting. :)

pilotbob
01-24-2009, 01:34 PM
(yawn) Yep, I know I'm lazy. Sorry, but it's a lot of work for a dog to.....(yawn).......forgot what I was gonna say.

No cats are lazy layabouts and sleepers. Dogs are forthright, go getter who love to jump and play and sometimes eat their poop.

BOb

Alexander Turcic
01-24-2009, 06:05 PM
It jumps to just below this mysterious box: http://idisk.mac.com/tlrowley/Public/Pictures/Skitch/Go_to_first_new_post_-_not_always_working_-_Page_7_-_MobileRead_Forums-20090124-080950.jpg

Interesting. I will look this more closely when I am back at home (tomorrow noon). Thanks for the info!

by the way, Alex, since it's not linked to the quick reply box, can we please have the formatting etc. buttons back now ?? i really miss those !!

Heh, I was working on making it a user option (no qr/simple qr/enhanced qr), but it seems it's really not needed... will turn it back on tomorrow after I looked into the code some more. :p

tlrowley
01-24-2009, 08:22 PM
Crap. Just crap.

I went to lexcycle.com to download the latest Stanza build. I clicked on the download page and it jumped to the bottom of the page. What should I see, but my favorite empty box -
http://idisk.mac.com/tlrowley/Public/Pictures/Skitch/Download_Lexcycle_Stanza_%7C_Lexcycle-20090124-161923.jpg

Crap.

zelda_pinwheel
01-24-2009, 08:24 PM
well that seems pretty definitive to me. or at the very least, empirically convincing.

Alexander Turcic
01-25-2009, 02:47 AM
Crap. Just crap.

I went to lexcycle.com to download the latest Stanza build. I clicked on the download page and it jumped to the bottom of the page. What should I see, but my favorite empty box -
http://idisk.mac.com/tlrowley/Public/Pictures/Skitch/Download_Lexcycle_Stanza_%7C_Lexcycle-20090124-161923.jpg

Crap.

Sorry if this has been said before and I missed it, but does the jump-to-the-bottom issue also occur with the ad blocker deactivated?

TadW
01-25-2009, 05:17 AM
I remember a similar problem on another site and upon escalating this with Google, it was suggested that a clearing of the browser's cache may resolve this issue. It may be worth a try.

To clear your cache in Internet Explorer:

1. Close all other open browser windows.
2. Click the 'Tools' menu at the top of your browser, and select 'Internet Options.'
3. Click the 'General' tab at the top of the dialogue box.
4. Click 'Delete Files' under 'Temporary Internet files.'
5. Select 'Delete all offline content' by checking the box.
6. Click 'OK.'

To clear your cache in Mozilla Firefox:

2. Click the 'Tools' menu at the top of your browser, and select 'Options.'
3. Click 'Privacy.'
4. Click 'Clear' next to 'Cache.'
5. Click 'OK.'

To clear your cache in Mozilla and Netscape:

2. Click the 'Edit' menu at the top of your browser, and select 'Preferences.'
3. Click the '+' next to 'Advanced.'
4. Select 'Cache' under 'Advanced.'
5. Click 'Clear Cache.'
6. Click 'OK.'

To clear your cache in Safari:

2. Open the 'Safari' menu on your browser's toolbar.
3. Select 'Empty Cache.'
4. Click 'Empty' in the dialogue box.

tlrowley
01-25-2009, 11:45 AM
Sorry if this has been said before and I missed it, but does the jump-to-the-bottom issue also occur with the ad blocker deactivated?

Yes, the jump to bottom/ad occurs with and without the ad blocker. I tried adding a pattern for datavis, specifically, but that didn't help.

Wetdogeared
01-25-2009, 11:49 AM
I remember a similar problem on another site and upon escalating this with Google, it was suggested that a clearing of the browser's cache may resolve this issue. It may be worth a try.

To clear your cache in Internet Explorer:

2. Click the 'Tools' menu at the top of your browser, and select 'Internet Options.'
3. Click the 'General' tab at the top of the dialogue box.
4. Click 'Delete Files' under 'Temporary Internet files.'
5. Select 'Delete all offline content' by checking the box.
6. Click 'OK.'

Thanks for your input TadW. I delete all mentioned files 2 or 3 times per day. Plus my Nortson 'cleanup' utility deletes them also, plus another cleaner I run deletes anything left over.

I wish the solution was this simple. Once again, I'd like to state that this positioning problem only started occurring a few weeks back.

All suggestions appreciated. WDE

lilac_jive
01-25-2009, 11:54 AM
Ironically I haven't done anything and haven't noticed this problem in a while. Weird.

Alexander Turcic
01-25-2009, 03:05 PM
Ironically I haven't done anything and haven't noticed this problem in a while. Weird.

It could indeed be a misbehaving ad as it was suggested earlier, one that only appears occasionally. :chinscratch:

Wetdogeared
01-26-2009, 10:31 AM
It could indeed be a misbehaving ad as it was suggested earlier, one that only appears occasionally. :chinscratch:
Good morning Alex etal. I was using IE last night for a couple of hours. Maybe it was the time, I don't know, the suspect ads were not in play and I had no problems in proper positioning to next new post.

This morning however, the suspect ads are back, and so is my repositioning problem.:angry:

I will be using Furfox portable (and possibly update to full Furfox) in the meantime until a solution, if any, is found.

Can ads cause this problem? If so, can they be forced to fix them or can they be banned? Seems like they are breaking the rules somehow, or taking too much time to render, and my IE is not able to keep up.

Thanks again for looking into this. I know you're always busy. I'm in no rush, just keeping you informed.

WDE.

zelda_pinwheel
01-26-2009, 10:36 AM
Can ads cause this problem? If so, can they be forced to fix them or can they be banned? Seems like they are breaking the rules somehow,

i agree, ads should not do this. but apparently they don't care what we think... :rolleyes:

the good news is, we got you to try firefox as a result. ;)

Wetdogeared
01-26-2009, 10:46 AM
the good news is, we got you to try firefox as a result. ;)
You are relentless, but I have willpower! :p

zelda_pinwheel
01-26-2009, 10:48 AM
You are relentless, but I have willpower! :p

true, but you are also refreshingly open-minded ! so i am confident the superior firefox will triumph in the end. ;) even if it is only your secondary browser (that's better than nothing. after all, the road to enlightenment begins with the first step. :whistle:).

Wetdogeared
01-26-2009, 11:02 AM
true, but you are also refreshingly open-minded ! so i am confident the superior firefox will triumph in the end. ;) even if it is only your secondary browser (that's better than nothing. after all, the road to enlightenment begins with the first step. :whistle:).
Change a couple of words in this post and it could have been posted in the ongoing discussion on religion. :rolleyes:

zelda_pinwheel
01-26-2009, 11:06 AM
Change a couple of words in this post and it could have been posted in the ongoing discussion on religion. :rolleyes:
the Webstandards consortium is my church, and valid code my holy grail !! angels sing everytime firefox is launched anywhere in the world, and everytime someone uses IE a fairy dies !!!

Wetdogeared
01-26-2009, 11:10 AM
the Webstandards consortium is my church, and valid code my holy grail !! angels sing everytime firefox is launched anywhere in the world, and everytime someone uses IE a fairy dies !!!
Sounds like a cult to me, I would be wary. ;)

zelda_pinwheel
01-26-2009, 11:12 AM
a cult ? nobody's asking for your money. and no kool-aid anywhere, i promise. :rolleyes:

tlrowley
01-26-2009, 09:23 PM
I cleared my cache, and browsing yesterday was fine, but the jumpiness is back today. Different ads served, I guess.

ShortNCuddlyAm
01-26-2009, 09:38 PM

OS wars and browser wars usually attract much more vitriole than religious ones... ;)

Wetdogeared
01-27-2009, 01:33 PM
Due to repeated suggestions, from QZ and others, I am now running full Firefox application and therefore not getting any more repositioning problems.

This problem is now moot to me, unless I find that Firefox doesn't suit my needs or likes, and I revert back to IE.

Please continue to seek a solution for others using IE.

Thanks. WDE.

rhadin
01-27-2009, 03:42 PM
Is there any way other than installing Firefox to turn OFF the View First Unread? This is an annoying feature, especially as it invariably goes to the Quick Reply box -- even if I haven't read any messages in the thread. I do not plan to install Firefox, so I would like to have a method of stopping this problem under IE. Thanks.

pilotbob
01-27-2009, 03:47 PM
Is there any way other than installing Firefox to turn OFF the View First Unread? This is an annoying feature, especially as it invariably goes to the Quick Reply box -- even if I haven't read any messages in the thread. I do not plan to install Firefox, so I would like to have a method of stopping this problem under IE. Thanks.

If you click on the thread topic title rather than the blue arrow it goes to the top of the thread.

BOb

Alexander Turcic
01-29-2009, 11:39 AM
Those of you who are using IE (or another browser) and also experienced the problem described here - do you see any improvement now after we did a few changes (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?p=338426#post338426)?

lilac_jive
01-29-2009, 11:46 AM
Those of you who are using IE (or another browser) and also experienced the problem described here - do you see any improvement now after we did a few changes (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?p=338426#post338426)?

I think I have.

Alexander Turcic
01-29-2009, 12:07 PM
I think I have.

Now, that would make my day. ;) It's likely that the analytics code was causing the problem; I am still waiting for feedback from Google regarding the ads.

lilac_jive
01-29-2009, 12:17 PM
Now, that would make my day. ;) It's likely that the analytics code was causing the problem; I am still waiting for feedback from Google regarding the ads.

The problem is I'm not paying attention. Let me browse for a while and get back to you.

Wetdogeared
01-29-2009, 12:27 PM
Working like a charm Alex. Fast and furious and no bad repositioning. What happend to the ads? :)
*edit* sorry, didn't see the link, just went and saw what you're doing. Thanks WDE.

lilac_jive
01-29-2009, 12:28 PM
Oh yeah, we're kosher. Everything working perfectly.

Wetdogeared
01-29-2009, 12:42 PM
Alex, I'm getting this error when I click on "Forums" at top of home page.

Is there and extra "." at the end of the URL or am I seeing things?.

Thanks. WDE

zelda_pinwheel
01-29-2009, 12:44 PM

Thanks. WDE

ahem. is that an internet explorer error message i'm seeing ? i guess we know where the problem is... :rolleyes:

(more seriously : the "." at the end is i think the end of the sentence : it's not in the url when i click it. try clearing your cache, and check again.

or, you know, go back to firefox... :whistle:)

Wetdogeared
01-29-2009, 12:46 PM
or, you know, go back to firefox... :whistle:)
I was just checking it out for all those *other* IE users. :p

And the error isn't necessarily just on the home page. :blink:

zelda_pinwheel
01-29-2009, 12:48 PM
I was just checking it out for all those *other* IE users. :p

And the error isn't necessarily just on the home page. :blink:

which other pages is it on ? (odd, because the url is correct, and the page is working fine for me...)

Wetdogeared
01-29-2009, 12:52 PM
which other pages is it on ? (odd, because the url is correct, and the page is working fine for me...)
I deleted everything possible to delete, and problem is gone. The question is, how did it get there in the first place. And I don't want to here IE :rolleyes: or I might just get obstinate and stay on it for a while longer. :p

zelda_pinwheel
01-29-2009, 12:56 PM
what do you mean you deleted everything ? :huh:

Wetdogeared
01-29-2009, 12:59 PM
what do you mean you deleted everything ? :huh:
Just cache, cookies, temp files, history, forms...etc. NOT Firefox, it's sitting there waiting for me to come back. :)

zelda_pinwheel
01-29-2009, 01:00 PM
Just cache, cookies, temp files, history, forms...etc. NOT Firefox, it's sitting there waiting for me to come back. :)
heh ! :p right. i see now. probably it was clearing the cache which did it, i imagine... at least it's working again now.

Wetdogeared
01-29-2009, 01:02 PM
heh ! :p right. i see now. probably it was clearing the cache which did it, i imagine... at least it's working again now.
Working too well. Whatever Alex has done, IE is now in WARP drive. :D

zelda_pinwheel
01-29-2009, 01:07 PM
Working too well. Whatever Alex has done, IE is now in WARP drive. :D

oh noes ! how are you going to read that fast ??? ;)

Wetdogeared
01-29-2009, 01:09 PM
oh noes ! how are you going to read that fast ??? ;)
A ZCD and I'll be in light speed or faster, or I'll just read my log yesterday for what happened today. :)

zelda_pinwheel
:snicker:

lilac_jive
Whoa, I just noticed all of the ads are gone. Am I slow?

Wetdogeared
01-29-2009, 01:13 PM
Maybe, but isn't IE (if that's what you're using, I forgot and am too lazy to page back) a whole lot faster? :)

lilac_jive
01-29-2009, 01:14 PM
Maybe, but isn't IE (if that's what you're using, I forgot and am too lazy to page back) a whole lot faster? :)

No. It's usually pretty fast.

Alexander Turcic
01-29-2009, 01:17 PM

Thanks. WDE

That problem is still there when you close IE and restart it (I just tested it). It has to do with the Chat box and the way we are now loading the analytics script.

Investigating...

----

Ok, this should be fixed.

Alexander Turcic
01-29-2009, 01:53 PM

They are until Google can explain to us the cause of the loading delays. :)

lilac_jive
01-29-2009, 02:07 PM
They are until Google can explain to us the cause of the loading delays. :)

You know, I almost applied to work at Google. Kind of kicking myself in the butt for that one..

JSWolf
01-29-2009, 07:01 PM
It occured to me that using Internet Explorer, it sometimes takes a _long_ time to display threads. It seems that the pages are waiting until everything loads and then the entire page just 'pops' into view. This, in turn, causes IE to occasionally misplace anchored links - which is why the "go to first unread post" didn't always work for you.

The culprit, I believe, was the Quick Reply box near the bottom of the page; in particular the formatting controls (bold, italic, etc.) took a long time to initialize with IE. So what I did is to remove these controls. The quick reply box is still there, of course, and I don't believe many will miss these controls anyhow (you can always use the standard reply button to have all controls available). At least on my computer using IE, the page loading speed has improved.

Perhaps we'll make it a user option to customize the quick reply box, which would allow you to disable it completely to further increase loading speeds.

Feedback appreciated. ;)
So the solution to the problem then is to install and use Firefox. Then these controls can be brought back since nobody would be using MSIE.

JSWolf
01-29-2009, 07:07 PM
One plugin I use with Firefox that I rather like is Tab Mix Plus for managing tabs.

JSWolf
01-29-2009, 07:11 PM
IE6 in XP and IE7 in Vista.

A few months ago, when Mozilla released Firefox 3, I've tried it. But ended up uninstalling it. IE7 runs slickier, faster in my system. That, and the fact that Firefox doesn't display 100% correctly many sites that were created with only IE in mind.

Maybe it's a matter of habit, but if I have no complains, no need to change. ;)
I've found Firefox 3.0.x displays many sites properly. It's the poorly written site that doesn't work. I have a version of Firefox 3.0.5 compiled for my processor so it runs even better then IE6 does. I've never bothered with IE7 as Firefox still blows it away.