View Full Version : Can MobileRead make LIT an uploaded format

=X=
01-16-2009, 01:03 PM
MobileRead does not seem to recognize LIT as a valid upload file format. So every time I upload a LIT file I have to zip it up. It would be nice if a this fine eBook site recognize a large set of eBook formats

Thank you,
=X=

Alexander Turcic
01-17-2009, 05:08 AM
Added.

=X=
01-17-2009, 11:51 AM
Thank you
=X=

Patricia
01-17-2009, 04:59 PM
Is there a demand for .lit books?

If there is, then I could certainly add some.
But I just wasn't aware of people wanting them.

mjh215
01-17-2009, 05:55 PM
Patricia; I have to wonder if it isn't a case of, "If you build .lit, they will come"... Like debates over .epub, it may attract more users to MR that are googling for .lit books.

-MJ

Patricia
01-17-2009, 06:17 PM
Well I'll make a few tomorrow and see how many actually get downloaded.

HarryT
01-18-2009, 04:19 AM
I'm not aware of any device which can read LIT books which cannot also read other formats such as MobiPocket.

Patricia
01-18-2009, 09:01 AM
Well I've uploaded a few as a trial.

One added feature of Lit books is that MS Reader allows them to be read to you by a mechanical voice.

=X=
01-18-2009, 04:23 PM
Is there a demand for .lit books?

If there is, then I could certainly add some.
But I just wasn't aware of people wanting them.

Hi patricia,
I personally prefer LIT over the other formats provided here. The reason is for two reasons.
- :o I actually use MSReader's built in text-to-speech. While I do prefer to read it's great alternative to be able to listen to a book when I have idle time and cannot read such as when I'm commuting to work or working out.

- I have several eReading devices that all require different formats. Instead of having three copies I've standardized on LIT and convert on demand. Most tool conversions do a great job in porting to the target platform.

=X=

=X=
01-18-2009, 04:30 PM
Patricia; I have to wonder if it isn't a case of, "If you build .lit, they will come"... Like debates over .epub, it may attract more users to MR that are googling for .lit books.

-MJ
I do agree I've seen instances of folks who read LIT on their computer. Also many folks here on this site have standardized on LIT files and have all the tools to convert to their targeted format.

Well I've uploaded a few as a trial.

One added feature of Lit books is that MS Reader allows them to be read to you by a mechanical voice.
The LIT looks great. I was not aware that BD made LIT files you learn something new every day.

Oh not a big deal but the link that jumps the reader to the TOC is greyed out. I'm not sure if there is a setting in BD to enable the TOC link but that would be nice.

=X=

Patricia
01-18-2009, 04:37 PM
IOh not a big deal but the link that jumps the reader to the TOC is greyed out. I'm not sure if there is a setting in BD to enable the TOC link but that would be nice.

=X=

I've looked, and you're right. Oddly, if you click on an item on the TOC, it jumps to the right chapter.
Does anyone know how (or whether) I can get the TOC not to appear greyed out?

If there's anything on my backlist of uploaded titles that people want in LIT format then i'm willing to have a go with it.

=X=
01-18-2009, 05:02 PM
I've looked, and you're right. Oddly, if you click on an item on the TOC, it jumps to the right chapter.
Does anyone know how (or whether) I can get the TOC not to appear grayed out?

The LIT creation tool usually has to handles this. I don't know if there is a way to do this in BD, but I'd be surprised if it didn't.

If there's anything on my backlist of uploaded titles that people want in LIT format then i'm willing to have a go with it.
:happydance: Thank you, you know you just opened Pandora's box. While every contributor does a fantastic job, I tend to enjoy reading Greek philosophy, mysticism, and sacred text, a market you have corned.

HarryT
01-19-2009, 04:17 AM
:happydance: Thank you, you know you just opened Pandora's box. While every contributor does a fantastic job, I tend to enjoy reading Greek philosophy, mysticism, and sacred text, a market you have corned.

Ahem! See my "Complete works of Plato"... :)

=X=
01-19-2009, 08:53 AM
Ahem! See my "Complete works of Plato"... :)

Yes, sorry for the omission, I do recall giving you karma recently for that work too.

:alright: okay Harry I'll include you in my list of favorite contributors.

=X=

HarryT
01-19-2009, 09:25 AM
Yes, you very kindly did give me karma, for which many thanks. I was just kidding you - Patricia has certainly done far more in this area than I have!

RWood
01-29-2009, 12:15 AM
I did put up a LIT book and as I remember it did about as well as a PSION book for number of downloads. I have not revisited LIT since then. I will follow Patricia's offer and convert any book that I have uploaded to LIT.