View Full Version : Need help with wiki for Mobi

DaleDe
01-05-2009, 04:24 PM
I have started a page in the wiki to compare the mobi features of the various readers. It will take me a long time to figure everything out so I thought I would ask for some help.

Mobi Comparison (http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Mobi_Comparison) is the name of the page. I have three tables. The entries are fairly obvious but ask here if you don't understand. Another section may be appropriate for conversion tools but I haven't decided yet. There may be more differences than I have identified. If so please add lines. So far I have grouped all PDA's in the same column but it may be that that will need to change as well.

It is only a skeleton but hopefully when it gets filled in it will be useful for people needing to support MOBI.

Dale

llasram
01-05-2009, 07:43 PM
It is only a skeleton but hopefully when it gets filled in it will be useful for people needing to support MOBI.

I'd suggest ditching the codes and going with the actual names in the columns, and possibly "rotating" it, so that the devices are the rows. That's the way Wikipedia seems to do it for comparisons (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_revision_control_software) and it makes it easier to tell what's going on...

I noticed that the Kindle has "N" in the "PalmDOC support" row -- does that just mean that the Kindle doesn't support non-BOOKMOBI PalmDOC files, or does it actually mean that it doesn't support BOOKMOBI files with PalmDOC compression?

DaleDe
01-05-2009, 08:51 PM
I'd suggest ditching the codes and going with the actual names in the columns, and possibly "rotating" it, so that the devices are the rows. That's the way Wikipedia seems to do it for comparisons (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_revision_control_software) and it makes it easier to tell what's going on...

I noticed that the Kindle has "N" in the "PalmDOC support" row -- does that just mean that the Kindle doesn't support non-BOOKMOBI PalmDOC files, or does it actually mean that it doesn't support BOOKMOBI files with PalmDOC compression?

Thanks for the suggestions. All of the other wiki tables in mobileread put the devices across the top. I will look into ditching the coded entries for a while unless the table gets too wide. For now it would be fine.

It seems that Amazon has failed to interpret the TEXt format as a legal format for reading. They could easily fix this but seem to have chosen not to I believe. Or perhaps they only ignore the .pdb extension. Someone will have to test this by changing the extension and trying it. I have found, for example, that they will read html files if they have a .txt extension so their parser seems a bit brain dead. I don't own one of these units so I am only reporting information from the forum where someone said they tried to read a palmdoc file and it would not work, but that was before I learned how dumb their parser was.

Dale

Elsi
01-05-2009, 10:24 PM
Someone will have to test this by changing the extension and trying it. ... I don't own one of these units so I am only reporting information from the forum where someone said they tried to read a palmdoc file and it would not work, but that was before I learned how dumb their parser was. I'll test anything in my Kindle or Blackberry 8700C (older Blackberry). Just point me at a test-case file. Speaking of which, seems like it would be a good idea to have a set of test-case files in the wiki to use to verify future devices.

wallcraft
01-05-2009, 11:44 PM
I have added a OpenInkPot column and filled in some FBReader, Hanlin, iLiad and Kindle entries. Please check the changes. I may have overwritten recent changes to other columns.

wallcraft
01-06-2009, 01:30 AM
Is anyone using uBook for MOBI? This is a potential addition to the tables.

Stanza for iPhone may also be a better choice than Stanza Desktop. Anyone willing to fill in the SZ column?

llasram
01-06-2009, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. All of the other wiki tables in mobileread put the devices across the top. I will look into ditching the coded entries for a while unless the table gets too wide. For now it would be fine.

Hmm. Maybe all the other tables should be changed too? Well, you know, eventually :). I'm guessing that's why Wikipedia does it the other way. With enough devices, even codes would eventually result in too wide a table. Doing it the other way just means splitting into more tables based on logical categories of features.

It seems that Amazon has failed to interpret the TEXt format as a legal format for reading.

Oh, ok. Because that row is right below the "HUFF/CDIC compression" row, I was concerned it might mean that the Kindle didn't support PalmDOC compression, which would be... weird.

DaleDe
01-06-2009, 10:57 AM
Is anyone using uBook for MOBI? This is a potential addition to the tables.

Stanza for iPhone may also be a better choice than Stanza Desktop. Anyone willing to fill in the SZ column?

Stanza for the iphone does not support Mobipocket. It does support eReader. There is no iPhone application that supports Mobipocket native code.

I have added a column for uBook. Thanks for catching that, I had forgotten that one and a search for mobi did not turn it up since the description calls it prc.

Irex Digital Reader also supports MOBI. I assume it is the same as the iLiad. Does anyone know for sure?

Dale

wallcraft
01-06-2009, 02:15 PM
rex Digital Reader also supports MOBI. I assume it is the same as the iLiad. Does anyone know for sure? I think the initial release is close (or identical) to the iLiad's, but improvements are coming for the DR only. See Update 1.5 coming in January! (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34297).

DaleDe
01-06-2009, 04:16 PM
I think the initial release is close (or identical) to the iLiad's, but improvements are coming for the DR only. See Update 1.5 coming in January! (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34297).

good to know. I guess when it comes out we'll have to put in a column for it. Do the list of differences cover the ground? Or am I nitpicking them?

Dale

red_dragon
01-13-2009, 06:35 AM
I have added / corrected features for uBook and the MobiPocket Reader.

DaleDe
01-13-2009, 11:13 AM
I have added / corrected features for uBook and the MobiPocket Reader.

Thanks, with everyone's help it can become a great resource.

Dale

HarryT
01-13-2009, 01:20 PM
Hi Dale,

I'm no good at editing the Wiki, but I've spotted a couple of errors relating to the CyBook:

- It allows you to switch between left and full justification.
- It does support hyphenation.

Could you add a "supports hard page breaks" line in the "Reading features" table, please? It really bugs me that some implementations of Mobi (eg FBReader) don't support this!

Thanks!

bwaldron
01-13-2009, 03:35 PM
Stanza for the iphone does not support Mobipocket. It does support eReader. There is no iPhone application that supports Mobipocket native code.

Doesn't Bookshelf (http://www.iphonebookshelf.com/formats.php)? (non-DRM'd Mobi only)

HarryT
01-14-2009, 02:19 AM
Yes, Bookshelf does support DRM-free Mobi on the iPhone. How good it is, I don't know.

DaleDe
01-14-2009, 10:44 AM
Yes, Bookshelf does support DRM-free Mobi on the iPhone. How good it is, I don't know.

Looks like I will need a new column.

Harry, I will fix the wiki for you but it is really easy to edit. All of the framework has been defined so that you only have to change the entries themselves. This was one reason to keep the column widths all uniform, to aid users that are not familiar with wiki editing.

Dale

HarryT
01-14-2009, 11:37 AM
Thanks Dale - I just didn't want to risk messing anything up! Next time I see a change, I'll have a go.

pilotbob
01-14-2009, 11:39 AM
Thanks Dale - I just didn't want to risk messing anything up! Next time I see a change, I'll have a go.

The wiki retains revisions history. So changes can easily be reverted. No worries. Also, if you preview before you submit you can be pretty sure you are good to go.

BOb

HarryT
01-14-2009, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the reassurance, Bob.