View Full Version : Need help converting a book for my Kindle

hahler2
01-04-2009, 10:39 PM
I wasn't paying attention the other day when I was buying books, and didn't notice that one that I bought wasn't in a Kindle format. It's in a .pdb format. I am very new to the ebook reading thing (just got my Kindle two days ago) and I'm wondering how do I convert a .pdb ebook to work on my Kindle? I'm sure I will have to strip the DRM first, and then convert. Could someone help me with this please? I use a mac computer, but I have Windows installed through VMware.

desertgrandma
01-04-2009, 10:41 PM
I wasn't paying attention the other day when I was buying books, and didn't notice that one that I bought wasn't in a Kindle format. It's in a .pdb format. I am very new to the ebook reading thing (just got my Kindle two days ago) and I'm wondering how do I convert a .pdb ebook to work on my Kindle? I'm sure I will have to strip the DRM first, and then convert. Could someone help me with this please? I use a mac computer, but I have Windows installed through VMware.

You might try contacting the site you bought the books from. Most are very understanding, and would allow a credit to re-purchase in the .prc (mobi) format.
(I"m not familiar with .pdb?)

hahler2
01-04-2009, 11:42 PM
.pdb is for ereader. Also I looked at the site to see if I could do that and they only carry the book in that format.

pilotbob
01-04-2009, 11:44 PM
I am very new to the ebook reading thing (just got my Kindle two days ago) and I'm wondering how do I convert a .pdb ebook to work on my Kindle?

I'm curious. Why would the first book(s) you buy for your Kindle be NOT from the Kindle store? The Kindle book store is one of the best parts of Kindle ownership.

BOb

desertgrandma
01-05-2009, 12:24 AM
.pdb is for ereader. Also I looked at the site to see if I could do that and they only carry the book in that format.

Which site did you buy this from?

wallcraft
01-05-2009, 12:25 AM
Use ereader2html to strip the DRM. This is a Python script, so see Visual Kindle Guide (http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Visual_Kindle_Guide), (KindlePID and KindleFIX) for how to run Python scripts on the Mac.

The resulting HTML can be mailed to Amazon for conversion, or import it into Windows MobiPocket Reader (the resulting MOBI will be in My Documets\My eBooks).

hahler2
01-06-2009, 12:33 PM
Thank you! And I didn't buy it from the Kindle store because it wasn't offered in the Kindle Store. Otherwise I would have.

pilotbob
01-06-2009, 05:06 PM
Thank you! And I didn't buy it from the Kindle store because it wasn't offered in the Kindle Store. Otherwise I would have.

That makes sense.

BOb

Phogg
01-07-2009, 02:10 PM
That makes sense.

BOb

CJ Cherryh's book The Paladin which I was searching for did finally show up. But only as a .pdb doc.
So I got that even though it is the only .pdb I own.

phossler
01-07-2009, 04:16 PM
I've had luck renaming the .pdb file to .prc, and loading that to my Kindle

Paul

pilotbob
01-07-2009, 04:57 PM

Paul

Yes, some PDBs are PalmDOC files where are a subset of Mobipocket and most mobipocket readers will read them just fine. But, this is not the case if it is an eReader format.

BOb

DaleDe
01-07-2009, 05:28 PM

Paul

Would you please check the wiki article Palm Database File Code (http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PDB#Palm_Database_File_Code) and tell us what characters you found in the file based on opening it in a text editor like Notepad.

Thanks,
Dale

VDR928
03-13-2009, 03:09 PM
I obtained my PID (Kindle 2) but have had to have knee surgery and have not gone any further with it. I got an email from the library today that a Overdrive book I req. was ready for download. I downloaded it and sent it to Amazon to convert. They sent it back but when I put it on the Kindle it says "can't open on this device, to buy the book from Amazon". I don't want to BUY the book when it is offered free at my library! It is mobi..? format, I think, but when the files were returned from Amazon they contain the word /Kindle/ in the title..?
Where is the link for Mac users... I can't find the next step after obtaining the PID?

desertgrandma
03-13-2009, 03:11 PM
I obtained my PID (Kindle 2) but have had to have knee surgery and have not gone any further with it. I got an email from the library today that a Overdrive book I req. was ready for download. I downloaded it and sent it to Amazon to convert. They sent it back but when I put it on the Kindle it says "can't open on this device, to buy the book from Amazon". I don't want to BUY the book when it is offered free at my library! It is mobi..? format, I think, but when the files were returned from Amazon they contain the word /Kindle/ in the title..?
Where is the link for Mac users... I can't find the next step after obtaining the PID?

Unfortunately, we can no longer post script links.

Reminder To everyone: Please refrain from posting direct download links to any tools or scripts that may be used to circumvent copyright protections. If in doubt, you can message a moderator for assistance. Thank you.

wallcraft
03-13-2009, 09:35 PM
I obtained my PID (Kindle 2) but have had to have knee surgery and have not gone any further with it. I got an email from the library today that a Overdrive book I req. was ready for download. I downloaded it and sent it to Amazon to convert. This is an entirely legal use of lending library ebooks, but mobileread has caved to pressure from Amazon and has deleted instructions on how to use KindlePID (which you have already used) and KindleFIX (which, apparently, Amazon did not complain about). Note that Google caches some pages, so you may still be able to find the wiki page "KindleFIX Mac" somewhere or other.

You don't need to email the KindleFIXed file to Amazon. Like DRM-free MOBI ebooks, just copy it via USB to the Kindle's "documents" directory.

jctarvin
03-13-2009, 10:05 PM
...You don't need to email the KindleFIXed file to Amazon. Like DRM-free MOBI ebooks, just copy it via USB to the Kindle's "documents" directory.

I'm new to ebooks with Kindle2. Exploring sources for free content. How can I tell if a Mobi book prc file is DRM free (especially the ones listed here on mobileread??)
Thanks!!
John Tarvin

wallcraft
03-13-2009, 10:34 PM
I'm new to ebooks with Kindle2. Exploring sources for free content. How can I tell if a Mobi book prc file is DRM free (especially the ones listed here on mobileread??) The ebooks posted here, and at feedbooks.com and manybooks.net (for a longer list see Wiki: Free eBooks (http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Free_eBooks)) are free and DRM-free. There are also ebooks you buy which are DRM-free. In general, if you did not register a device PID with the site, then the MOBI ebook is DRM free.

On a Mac, the easiest way to find out if a MOBI ebook has DRM may be to try converting it using Calibre. This should give you an error message if DRM is present. Or just copy it to your Kindle and try opening it. If it has DRM then you will get the message you have already seen with your library book.

Note that OverDrive ebooks have DRM, and KindleFIX does not remove DRM (which is why it is legal). If your Kindle PID is in the library ebook and you ran it through KindleFIX then the Kindle should open the ebook, rather than giving you an error message. It will automatically expire after the normal period (typically 21 days I think).

kevindorsey
03-15-2009, 06:12 PM
"a device PID with the site, then the MOBI ebook is DRM free." Need to remember this, a big time and nerve saver.