View Full Version : Bebook versus Sony PRS-505

pox67
01-04-2009, 08:11 PM
As promised here are my thoughts on the Bebook versus a Sony PRS-505.

I owned a 505 for a couple of months before it was stolen. With the insurance I bought a Bebook. I probably would have bought another Sony but by the time the insurance had come through the Australian dollar had gone from 98c to 65c US. There is no way I could justify buying another Sony unfortunately.

First of all these are just my thoughts on the 2 products. Other peoples mileage will vary greatly and something I can't stand may not bother someone else. Also there might be things that I just haven't figured out about the Bebook yet and so are down here as niggles.

Bebook firmware: 2.01NL

Screen: goes to Sony. The Sony has a much whiter background and better contrast. The Bebook seems to always have a lot of very tiny black dots on the white screens making it look not as white as the Sony.
After a page turn there is significant ghosting left over from the previous screen on the Bebook. I think the screen not having as good a contrast or showing whites as well comes from this ghosting. It doesn't do a proper refresh of the screen so a lot of pixels are left in their old state when others around them change.
Viewing comics on the PRS-505 was acceptable as it had an 8 greyscale screen. The 4 greyscale of the Bebook and the fact that it doesn't do a full screen clear on refresh makes comics unreadable.

Speed: goes to sony again. Start up speed seems to be the same. Sony did have trouble with big memory cards with a lot of books on it though.
The Bebook is very slow opening a book for the first time. FB2 (by Amber LIT Convert) is unusably slow. The Bebook seems slower at turning pages in general than the Sony. There is a very noticeable pause when changing settings on the Bebook as well.

Controls: I liked the Sony number buttons down the side where they line up next to their option on screen. I'll get used to the Bebook way with the buttons along the bottom I imagine. The page turn buttons are on the left side for the Bebook and the right side for the Sony. I prefer the right side buttons as that feels more natural to me, it depends on which handedness you are I guess. They both have page turn buttons at the bottom of the device.

Stability: The Bebook has crashed, frozen and turned itself off on me a few times. Mostly while playing around trying formats. It doesn't seem to like big FB2 files, it takes ages to open and will often just hang or switch itself off.
I don't remember the Sony exhibiting any crash or freeze behaviour.

Ease of use: it took me awhile to get to grips with the Sony and the conversion software needed to use the device.
(being in Australia I couldn't use the Sony store so bought my books in .LIT format and converted to LRF)
Once I worked out that I bought books in LIT, cracked them open and used Calibre to move to LRF I was happy. This was not ideal, I would prefer a direct download and drop on the reader.
RTF has a lot of options and is pretty quick to open up on the Bebook. FB2 is just to slow. Mobi is quite nice actually, on par with RTF. What I have noticed is that the Bebook does th-
is alot with RTF files. It can get really anno-
ying as you read as well. Once stuff was LRFed with the Sony that didn't happen.

Acrobat: I think the PRS-505 does a better job of PDF files at the moment. It has reflow at least which the Bebook doesn't seem to. Both PDF viewers could be much improved though.

Physical: the Sony has it all over the Bebook, everyone knows it. I am not sure why but the Bebook also feels bulkier and heavier although they are near enough the same. It might be the leather case of the Bebook which is adding he weight. It is good protection though.

So what would I buy?
With the current firmware on the Bebook I would get another PRS-505. The firmware is often being updated though so this verdict might change if a killer firmware becomes available.

rjh
01-05-2009, 04:05 AM
As a BeBook owner, I'd say that there is an issue with your display; mine shows a clear background at all times (it is close to white, doesn't show any random dots even under magnification), and never shows ghosting. Can you post a photo, others may also be able to comment.

I can't comment on your comparison to the Sony, but I find my BeBook to be very stable - maybe has needed rebooting a few times (maybe 6) during the past 6 months.

You are right about the weight of the cover - it certainly adds a lot to the weight of the reader, but I wouldn't want to be without the protection it gives.

I think of all the devices available Sony has the most stylish and well presented unit, it has been interesting watching their evolution. Most of the other readers are really lacking investment in product design, but the BeBook though utilitarian does get the job done quite well.

Gudy
01-05-2009, 07:51 AM
As a BeBook owner, I'd say that there is an issue with your display; mine shows a clear background at all times (it is close to white, doesn't show any random dots even under magnification), and never shows ghosting. Can you post a photo, others may also be able to comment.

If it is an issue with the display, it's not an isolated one. I'm on my second display for my V3 (the first one broke on me), and I have the same issues: the screen has those tiny black dots (significantly smaller than a pixel, looks kinda like fine charcoal dust) making it less bright and contrasty than it could be, and there is noticeable ghosting. My first screen had no ghosting that I can recall and was somewhat brighter, too.

I can't comment on your comparison to the Sony, but I find my BeBook to be very stable - maybe has needed rebooting a few times (maybe 6) during the past 6 months.

There seems to be some persistent issue with FB2 in the V3 firmware. It is at the same time one of the best supported formats on the device (formatting, TOC, etc.) and apparently one of the least stable ones (hangs, reboots, etc.)

The long wait for opening an FB2 is probably the reader software paginating the whole book. This takes a while, but you get accurate page numbers out of the deal, which IS kinda nice (and judging from the page numbering related complaints in the Sony and Cybook forums, not that common, either).

slayda
01-05-2009, 10:59 AM
In comparing the Sony PRS-500, the Cybook Gen3, and the EZ Reader (the US version of the Hanlin V3 = BeBook) I find Cybook to feel the lightest and the EZ Reader to have the best screen contrast. Sony (with LRF) & EZ Reader (with Mobipocket) both start quickly.

Bottom line for me - HW best is the EZ Reader, SW/firmware best is the Cybook.

tompe
01-05-2009, 11:21 AM
If it is an issue with the display, it's not an isolated one. I'm on my second display for my V3 (the first one broke on me), and I have the same issues: the screen has those tiny black dots (significantly smaller than a pixel, looks kinda like fine charcoal dust) making it less bright and contrasty than it could be, and there is noticeable ghosting. My first screen had no ghosting that I can recall and was somewhat brighter, too.

My Cybook screen have these kind of dots also. But I do not think it is related to ghosting. I think my first Cybook had them also. From comments on the forum I though this was normal for all screens.

JoeD
01-05-2009, 02:32 PM
The long wait for opening an FB2 is probably the reader software paginating the whole book. This takes a while, but you get accurate page numbers out of the deal, which IS kinda nice (and judging from the page numbering related complaints in the Sony and Cybook forums, not that common, either).

This is one of the reasons I like the FB2 format so much. I like accurate page numbers and I'm willing to accept longer opening times to get them. I might have a different view on this if the key-lock feature didn't exist and the battery life didn't allow the unit to remain on for a number of weeks.

pox67
01-05-2009, 06:55 PM
The screen issue appears to be recent, certainly more people are commenting on it. It might be a bad batch of screens.
Here is a link to a thread on the Bebook forum:
http://mybebook.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=339
That picture shows exactly what I have although mine seems to change the placing off the dots. You'll notice white dots on black and on white back ground some black dots.
The PRS-505 didn't have this problem, whites and blacks were completely uniform.

I am going back on what I said about Mobi on the Bebook. It just looks wrong, the formatting of headings don't work well and letting is double spaced and large even on the smallest font setting.
For me RTF seems to be the best format so far. It has accurate page counts and if done well the headings can look good.

pox67
01-05-2009, 10:37 PM
Happily I can say that after the Jan update Mobi files are much better. I would even consider buying in this format now.

FB2 is, if anything, worse.

impry
02-04-2009, 12:06 PM
Hi there!

I just wanted to ask, that is there any experience about the solution of the screen's problem (the "tiny dots")? Can I change it under warranty? I have the same issue with my screen (Hanlin V3 clone). I have my device about a month and the dots are quite visible. (The box has the "wizplex" sign printed on it - if it means something relevant.)

Thanks!

Steven

HarryT
02-04-2009, 01:28 PM
Hi there!

I just wanted to ask, that is there any experience about the solution of the screen's problem (the "tiny dots")? Can I change it under warranty? I have the same issue with my screen (Hanlin V3 clone). I have my device about a month and the dots are quite visible. (The box has the "wizplex" sign printed on it - if it means something relevant.)

Thanks!

Steven

Hi Steven,

I don't think it's a problem - it's just the way eInk screens are.

impry
02-04-2009, 06:59 PM
Thanks Harry!

You mean that its normal? So there is no reason to change it, or to choose an other device? Cos some people here (and on the Bebook forum) wrote, they don't have these tiny dots, and if it could have, or should have better contrast... Maybe some people have lower quality screen panels, like me? Well, its not a big problem, but in good light conditions, they are visible and a little embarrassing.

carandol
02-04-2009, 07:12 PM
Hi Steven,

I've had an iLiad and a Bebook, and neither has had this problem. Well, not so far, any way.

phenomshel
02-04-2009, 07:46 PM
My EZ reader doesn't have this problem either.

pox67
02-04-2009, 09:01 PM
Hi Steven,

Nah, I had a Sony PRS-505 before my Bebook and the screen was silky smooth white or black.
The Bebook doesn't refresh properly and leaves a spattering of unchanged pixels everywhere. It kind of looks grubby or smudged. I think it was a bad batch of screens as some people say their Bebooks are fine.

HarryT
02-05-2009, 11:22 AM
We're not talking about "pixels" here, but very, very small dots - a lot smaller than a pixel. Look at your screen surface VERY close up. I'm sure you'll see them there.

impry
02-05-2009, 12:36 PM
Well, now I'm very curious. In the first post pox67 said that theres a difference in contrast between the PRS 505's screen and the Bebook. Other users didnt find any problem. Maybe they should use a magnifying glass to find these little dots? Its a little mysterious. (Or the PRS 505 have smaller black dots, or fewer?) One big reason was for me to buy an ebook reader is the screen's quality. /I have used many PDA's, starting a Handrspring Visor Platinum, long time ago :) /.

Dave_S
02-05-2009, 01:25 PM
Well, now I'm very curious. In the first post pox67 said that theres a difference in contrast between the PRS 505's screen and the Bebook. Other users didnt find any problem. Maybe they should use a magnifying glass to find these little dots? Its a little mysterious. (Or the PRS 505 have smaller black dots, or fewer?) One big reason was for me to buy an ebook reader is the screen's quality. /I have used many PDA's, starting a Handrspring Visor Platinum, long time ago :) /.

It appears that all eInk screens have very tiny imperfections when viewed close enough. Here is a closup view of a Sony screen:

http://flickr.com/photos/nickgray/35218857/

I had to use a 10X magnifier to see them on my BeBook, but they are there just like the Sony screen.

impry
02-05-2009, 01:43 PM
Its okay. So there are models, where these dots are quite visible without magnify, (like the device I have) and others, where these dots are small enough not to care about.
The problem is, that these dots (lots of) can make the screen look more greyish when its should be "white". Throwing away the great contrast, what is could give.

HarryT
02-05-2009, 01:57 PM
I think the way that eInk "works" provides a simple explanation for this.

A "pixel" on an eInk screen is a fluid-filled cell containing lots of little particles which are black on one side, and white on the other. They "flip" from "white side up" to "black side up" and vice versa when the appropriate electric current is passed through the cell.

I think that all that's happening here is that when the screen is "white", a small fraction of the cell particles are still showing "black", hence the tiny little black dots which "dust" the screen if you look at it very closely.

That's just an "off the cuff" guess at what's happening, but I think it might well be the correct explanation.

impry
02-05-2009, 02:27 PM
Thanks again Harry.
I've found pics here: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.pdasoft.cz/files/root/obrazky_k_clankum/2007/SonyPRS505/text.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.pdasoft.cz/modules.php%3Fname%3DNews%26file%3Dprint%26sid%3D3 001&usg=__qlBUyXQA43HJcMLGrnmLGpvJIUc=&h=1600&w=1200&sz=660&hl=hu&start=5&um=1&tbnid=UCRJXEe_LCZz4M:&tbnh=150&tbnw=113&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dprs-505%2Bzoom%26imgsz%3Dhuge%26ndsp%3D18%26um%3D1%26h l%3Dhu%26client%3Dsafari%26rls%3Dhu-hu%26sa%3DN and here: http://people.cs.vt.edu/~njustn/DSC00355.JPG
They are quite reassuring.

pox67
02-05-2009, 08:51 PM
A "pixel" on an eInk screen is a fluid-filled cell containing lots of little particles which are black on one side, and white on the other. They "flip" from "white side up" to "black side up" and vice versa when the appropriate electric current is passed through the cell.

I was using the term pixel as the smallest element of a screen. Thus one of your little flippers.

Either Bebook has a bad batch of eink screens or they are noticeably inferior to the Sony PRS-505 screens. Even when the Bebook is off there is noticeable greying of the screen.

HarryT
02-06-2009, 03:35 AM
Either Bebook has a bad batch of eink screens or they are noticeably inferior to the Sony PRS-505 screens. Even when the Bebook is off there is noticeable greying of the screen.

Sorry to ask an obvious question, but have you directly compared the BeBook screen to that of the Sony? They use an identical screen, and all eInk screens are "grey" rather than "white".

pox67
02-06-2009, 06:37 PM
Sorry to ask an obvious question, but have you directly compared the BeBook screen to that of the Sony? They use an identical screen, and all eInk screens are "grey" rather than "white".

No I haven't done a direct comparison as the Bebook was a replacement for the stolen Sony. I remember first starting up the Bebook though and thinking - that doesn't look right.

I am pretty sure the Sony uses an 8 grey scale screen where the Bebook uses a 4 grey scale so the screens are no identical.

Has anyone opened up their eink device to take a look at the screen?
Does it have a serial number or manufacturer number?

pilotbob
02-06-2009, 06:47 PM
I am pretty sure the Sony uses an 8 grey scale screen where the Bebook uses a 4 grey scale so the screens are no identical.

The screens are identical, made in the same factory on the same line. It is the controller (sort of like a video card) that is different.

BOb

Dave_S
02-07-2009, 03:30 AM
Has anyone opened up their eink device to take a look at the screen?
Does it have a serial number or manufacturer number?

All eInk displays come from the eInk Corporation.
http://www.eink.com/products/matrix/imaging_film.html

HarryT
02-07-2009, 04:31 AM
The screens are identical, made in the same factory on the same line. It is the controller (sort of like a video card) that is different.

BOb

Absolutely right. ALL 6" eInk devices use the identical screen. It's the only one available - there are no alternatives.

impry
02-17-2009, 05:35 AM
Hello again! I get an update to my question/problem. I've a really nice support in my country to my V3 (Koobe). They are really helpful. After a few letters, they sent me a possible solution! Its possible that I have to update the EPD waveform version to a newer one. I'll give it a try after work. :) If anybody interested, I'll post my results, and the method how to do it.

Dave_S
02-17-2009, 10:41 AM
EDIT Ooops, posted in wrong thread.

AlfonsVH
02-17-2009, 12:00 PM
If anybody interested, I'll post my results, and the method how to do it.

I'm interested :)

pox67
02-17-2009, 06:04 PM
impry,
is that update meant to clear up the screen?
If so I would be very interested!

impry
02-17-2009, 07:56 PM
Well, yes they sent me an attached file through mail, and told to make an update.
1.Format 1Gb SD card to FAT16
2.Make a folder to the root named "lcdpara"
3.Insert into device than go to settings, press 5 to load the update menu, than press 1, that will be the update, click "Ok" and wait until the device restarting.

Unfortunately I didnt notice any changes, but it worth to give a try. Of course before all, you have to check your current version. If somebody wants, I can send the file through mail.

pox67
02-18-2009, 06:07 AM
impry, What version should I be looking for?

It is a shame it didn't make any noticeable difference to the screen.

impry
02-18-2009, 06:25 AM
I get an other mail, that after the update, I have to do a full firmware update. Maybe it could help? I'll try it. Unfortunately just after work, becouse that's my wife's reader, so I can do experiments with it at home. :)
I searched for the version number of the EPD waveform on the device, but before the update I had the same version number. And so the update's number is the same: BL_P038_00_23
So maybe a firmware update after the waveform update could help. Who knows....

AlfonsVH
02-18-2009, 09:31 AM
I performed both the waveform update and firmware update, but no noticeable difference whatsoever.

pox67
02-18-2009, 08:56 PM
Well would go check what version of the EPD waveform I have but I can't book mark the book I am reading.

That brings me to another problem. This mobi book I am reading won't book mark, it looks like it is bookmarking but no book mark is made. Most books will book mark but this one won't. Getting pretty close to smashing this piece of junk to bits...every time it crashes I need to find the page I was on and as the pages never come up the same in a mobi book that is pretty damn annoying.

HarryT
02-19-2009, 04:13 AM
That brings me to another problem. This mobi book I am reading won't book mark, it looks like it is bookmarking but no book mark is made. Most books will book mark but this one won't. Getting pretty close to smashing this piece of junk to bits...every time it crashes I need to find the page I was on and as the pages never come up the same in a mobi book that is pretty damn annoying.

Have you done a "chkdsk" on the file system? A corrupt file system is a common cause of failing to bookmark on other readers - I'd imagine the same would be true on the BeBook/Hanlin too.

pox67
02-24-2009, 05:27 AM
Have you done a "chkdsk" on the file system? A corrupt file system is a common cause of failing to bookmark on other readers - I'd imagine the same would be true on the BeBook/Hanlin too.

good call HarryT, I got finally got a chance to do a chkdsk on the Bebook and that fixed the problem. Bookmarks are accepted and hopefully it will remember my place in books now as well.
Many thanks!

HarryT
02-24-2009, 02:01 PM
Happy to help!

orwell2k
03-25-2009, 09:52 AM
Hello again! I get an update to my question/problem. I've a really nice support in my country to my V3 (Koobe). They are really helpful. After a few letters, they sent me a possible solution! Its possible that I have to update the EPD waveform version to a newer one. I'll give it a try after work. :) If anybody interested, I'll post my results, and the method how to do it.

The EPD waveform version they sent you was BL_P038_00_23. I received a new BeBook late last year (under their discount coupon referral offer) and this came loaded with EPD waveform version BL_P042_00_23.

I've posted a thread on the mybebook.com forum querying the various versions, and whether Support@BeBook can make the latest/best available for users to update. I have three BeBook devices and two came loaded with P034 (which I have updated to P038) and one came with the apparently later P042 version.

Perhaps impry can try to contact Koobe again and see if they have the later version?

Also, there is an interesting blog that explains some of the technical stuff here:

http://i-to-i.irexnet.com/2007/11/09/what-makes-our-electronic-paper-displays-different/

cvkemp
03-25-2009, 01:52 PM
How did you update from PO34 to PO38 I have PO34 in my BEbook.

Chuck

igorsk
03-25-2009, 06:11 PM
Waveforms are specific to a batch of screens, and "upgrading" them will likely result in worse image quality.

pox67
03-25-2009, 07:12 PM
orwell2k, did you notice any difference between the screen versions?

I ordered mine late last year but got waveform 034.

impry
04-14-2009, 02:55 PM
Ok guys, heres something interesting: http://www.lbook.com.ua/en/products/lbookv3new
Maybe the solution is to buy a new reader? It could be true that they using an improved Vizplex screen?

AlfonsVH
04-14-2009, 05:45 PM
Ok guys, heres something interesting: http://www.lbook.com.ua/en/products/lbookv3new
Maybe the solution is to buy a new reader? It could be true that they using an improved Vizplex screen?

Hmm interesting indeed! I wonder if it's really a different screen, or that only the screen controller has to be updated...

impry
04-14-2009, 06:58 PM
I think thats the same screen, but they are using a better display controller chip. Somewhere there was a rumor about that device. Well, I just dont know how to buy one from Hungary...

pox67
04-14-2009, 07:35 PM
Yep, that new screen/old screen picture shows what I see on my Bebook. The Sony PRS-505 looked like the new screen and my Bebook looks like the old screen.

AlfonsVH
04-14-2009, 08:56 PM
Hm.. I asked Peter from BeBook about the "new" screen, and he told me that they've been using "version 2" of Vizplex for a long time, and that the whiteness of the screen differs per batch and depending on the software. He dismisses the claim by lBook as nonsense.

pox67
04-28-2009, 07:58 PM
Just got to vent before I go nuts.

The Bebook is crashing a lot now. When the reader comes across a character it doesn't like it crashes out to the book select screen.
The only way to get over that point in the book is to skip a page. That is not ideal. What I have resorted to doing is reading the page on either my home computer or work computer.
Last night I got one of these pages and the Bebook crashed. So I read the page on the computer before work so I could continue reading my book on the commute to work. Fucking BAM, 2 pages in to the book on the train and it does it again. I nearly smashed the thing to pieces right there.

I can under no circumstances recommend a Bebook.

Does the Lbook or EZReader do this with Mobi files?

carandol
04-28-2009, 09:29 PM
Just got to vent before I go nuts.

The Bebook is crashing a lot now. When the reader comes across a character it doesn't like it crashes out to the book select screen.
The only way to get over that point in the book is to skip a page. That is not ideal. What I have resorted to doing is reading the page on either my home computer or work computer.
Last night I got one of these pages and the Bebook crashed. So I read the page on the computer before work so I could continue reading my book on the commute to work. Fucking BAM, 2 pages in to the book on the train and it does it again. I nearly smashed the thing to pieces right there.

I can under no circumstances recommend a Bebook.

Does the Lbook or EZReader do this with Mobi files?

I've had this problem with a few (three, I think) mobipocket books on my Bebook. I've tried running the Hanlin and the LBook software and the result is the same -- there are obviously a few characters or formatting glitches that the software really doesn't like. It's annoying, but I've read scores of mobipocket books on my Bebook, and so far only those few have misbehaved.

I did find with those books that the OpenInkpot software coped with them OK. It's still at an early stage, and has other annoying problems, but if there's a book you're really wanting to read, it might be worth having the "live" version installed on your SD card so you can switch to it if necessary.

pox67
04-28-2009, 09:37 PM
This always seems to happen at least 1/3 of the way in to a book. If it happened in the first chapter I would more than likely just skip it.

I'll try the OI version soon. I lent my small SD card to a mate on a camping trip as he forgot the one for his camera.

I am going to actively try and sell my Bebook now. I'll get a Sony PRS-505 unless something new is released.

Dave_S
04-29-2009, 04:03 AM
it might be worth having the "live" version installed on your SD card so you can switch to it if necessary.

The "live" version of OI is also not stable on the BeBook. The installed version of OI is very stable (never crashed yet for me), and is the only version I read with on my BeBook. I keep testing every new version of the Jinke/Hanlin firmware, but the crashing problems remain. It appears that Jinke/Hanlin are just doing feature creep development without paying any attention to the core problem of their OS stability.

cvkemp
04-29-2009, 10:02 AM
I guess it is just me and the way I use my EZ reader but I have tried all of the firmware and the only one that has crashed on me with the orginal EZ reader firmware. The BeBook firmware is been stable for me. I am now using the hanlin firmware from April and it is much improved from all of the other firmware that I have tried. The formating of mobi and pdf is much improved and no crashes.

Dave_S
04-29-2009, 10:10 AM
I tried the April update as well, but I only read FB2 and EPUB. Both of those look pretty bad with the factory firmware compared to OI's FBreader. There are extraneous spaces inside of words that are just really irritating. After seeing that, I did not wait around for the inevitable crash of the factory firmware, and just reinstalled OI immediately. If they had properly fixed the kernel, I am pretty sure they would have made some mention of it somewhere????

cvkemp
04-29-2009, 10:28 AM
Maybe that is the difference I do not have any FB2 or EPUB books. The formatting of the mobi and pdfs are the best of any firmware that I have tried and that includes OI.
I am not say you are wrong it is just the difference in the way we format our books. And I do format my own mobi and pdfs and make sure they fit the reader display.

DaleDe
04-29-2009, 12:48 PM
I tried the April update as well, but I only read FB2 and EPUB. Both of those look pretty bad with the factory firmware compared to OI's FBreader. There are extraneous spaces inside of words that are just really irritating. After seeing that, I did not wait around for the inevitable crash of the factory firmware, and just reinstalled OI immediately. If they had properly fixed the kernel, I am pretty sure they would have made some mention of it somewhere????

The extraneous spaces are caused by the justification algorithm. It is annoying. I will be explaining this to Jinke today. The spaces are caused by things like ' and " and a few other characters being considered as legal places to insert a space. Of course this is not the case. They also have a terrible algorithm for hyphenation. I don't think it is for English.

Dale

Dave_S
04-29-2009, 12:54 PM
The extraneous spaces are caused by the justification algorithm. It is annoying. I will be explaining this to Jinke today. The spaces are caused by things like ' and " and a few other characters being considered as legal places to insert a space. Of course this is not the case. They also have a terrible algorithm for hyphenation. I don't think it is for English.

Dale

Thank you very much for the explanation, Dale!!!

I am sure that the native language of the Jinke developers is not English or any other alphabetic language, so I can respect that they may have a difficult time developing for those kinds of languages. I sure would not want to try developing software to be used in the Chinese language!

pox67
04-29-2009, 07:45 PM

Dale

I have just recently noticed this.

I used Calibre to convert the book I was complaining about a few posts above from MOBI to EPUB. Now the book doesn't crash and the strange character shows up as a square.

So I can have crashy with good formatting or REALLY ugly and no crashes...so far I am going with ugly and no crashes. Not an ideal situation though :(

Xachariah
05-01-2009, 11:35 AM
I cannot reccomend Open Inkpot enough for the Bebook. It's endlessly customizable, has a longer battery life, is faster than the original firmware for screen updates and actually more stable. I've never had my Bebook crash on me before. In fact, the only difficulty I have ever experianced with the Bebook running the Open Inkpot firmware is that it can sometimes tend to move around the book as it doesn't have the ability to lock the screen. You can find yourself a few pages ahead or backwards. I get around it by bookmarking before stowing the book and using the 'Bookmark Added' screen as a lock. OI pretty much has an advantage over the original firmware in almost every respect. Clock on it's never in sync though.

I mainly convert all my ebooks to Mobipocket format by dragging the .html/.doc/.pdf/.rtf file into Mobipocket Reader, then using Mobi2Mobi GUI to change the book titles to my own system (I use a number of different sources for ebooks). Never had a book do anything besides show me words.

pepak
06-23-2009, 04:39 AM
Since Borders cancelled my order of the $200 Sony Reader, I am considering buying a Hanlin V3 instead. Does anyone have any recent ideas about how V3 compares to PRS-505? The original poster's comments were very useful in this aspect, but still, they have been made some time ago and perhaps some of the issues vere fixed in between?

Also, having had a longer experience with V3 - is there anything particularly annoying in it when compared to PRS-505? I don't know, inability to bookmark pages, frequent crashes, stuff like that?

pox67
06-23-2009, 06:01 AM
Since Borders cancelled my order of the $200 Sony Reader, I am considering buying a Hanlin V3 instead. Does anyone have any recent ideas about how V3 compares to PRS-505? The original poster's comments were very useful in this aspect, but still, they have been made some time ago and perhaps some of the issues vere fixed in between?

Also, having had a longer experience with V3 - is there anything particularly annoying in it when compared to PRS-505? I don't know, inability to bookmark pages, frequent crashes, stuff like that?

Issues? Yes still after all this time and a few firmware updates. I still regret buying a Bebook and not paying the extra money for a Sony :(

My top 3 issues:
1. Memory corruption: this happens frequently and requires you to plug the Bebook in to a computer and run a disk repair/chkdsk on the internal memory. Carry a USB cable with as I often need to do this at work or accessible computer. Symptoms are: bookmarks not working and crashes.
2. Mobi format issue:Crashing and restarting when the device hits a character it doesn't know/doesn't like. This doesn't happen that often but when it does it is impossible to get past in short of reading that page on a computer and skipping on the Bebook or converting the book to something else - .lit is ugly but works. There is no other way around this as that page cannot be displayed.
3. Some batches of the Bebook have a dodgy screen that is never truly white or black. Mine is like this :(

Lbooker
06-23-2009, 06:09 AM
Did you try OpenInkpot?

Dave_S
06-23-2009, 06:43 AM
Issues? Yes still after all this time and a few firmware updates. I still regret buying a Bebook and not paying the extra money for a Sony :(

OTOH, OpenInkpot makes the BeBook a pleasure to use. :)
BUT, no DRM.

pepak
06-23-2009, 09:40 AM
So you're saying that if you were buying a new device today, it would be a Sony rather than Hanlin?

Anyone else have the same opinion? Or the opposite opinion, for that matter?

Why I am asking: I already have two Sony Readers in my family, and it turns out I need a third device. I can't decide whether to stick with Sony (which I know well by now, can handle its quirks and have a good process for creating/getting e-books) or try a Hanlin (which I can get 33% cheaper, supports - I am told - directory structure, more font sizes etc. I would also get to try a new device and compare the two for my blog). I am trying to find out what else (besides these points) would change for me if I went for Hanlin, for better or for worse. For example, it seems to me that Sony may have a better ergonomics (I can hold it left-, right- or both-handed and in all cases reach the page turn buttons comfortably, while it looks like I may have trouble to reach the page buttons of Hanlin if I hold the device in one hand).

idle
06-23-2009, 11:32 AM
Well, Hanlin does support directory structure, which is a good thing to have; my sister misses it (she has a Cybook).

As for holding, Hanlin has two sets of buttons for turning pages - a pair at the left side and a pair at the bottom. So when I hold it in my left hand, I hold it on the side, and when in my right hand, I hold it at the bottom part.

pox67
06-24-2009, 01:17 AM
All true about open inkpot, I should try it out. All my books are mobi or .lit - is that an issue?

+directory structure is great, I forgot the Sony didn't have that. It is a much more natural way of managing files. Does it out weigh the negatives? up to you.

I suggest any one considering a Bebook take a look at the support forum to see the range of issues:
http://mybebook.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=4

The Sony seemed more for right handed people and the Hanlin/Bebook for left handed. I prefer my page buttons on the right like the Sony although this hasn't been a major hassle for me.

idle
06-24-2009, 03:29 AM
Openinkpot software doesn't read .lit, so you would have to convert those. Mobi is OK.