View Full Version : How many e-books have you read so far?

ficbot
12-24-2008, 02:13 PM
Just wondering, for those who keep track, how many e-books you have read. More than 50? More than 100? I started keeping track when I got my eBookwise, and had to reconstruct my Palm reading from memory, so I may have missed a few. But here's my rough tally:

Free Reads (Gutenberg, etc.)
49 books

Fictionwise (Purchases)
27 books

Other (Tor freebies, author downloads)
11 books

Total: 87 books

NOTE: I probably read about a dozen novel-length fanfics too but I am not counting those. I may redo my spreadsheet and include them, I may not.

For those wondering about the cost (remembering that the free reads help amortize the total) here is my approximate spending:

On devices (not counting computers or devices bought for multi-purpose)
$300 (eBookwise, 2 Palm m125s, portion of iPod Touch)

On books (all from Fictionwise)
$376.6

Total spent:$676.6

So, if you divide that cost by the number of books I have read, the average cost per book is $7.78 wich is still cheaper than buying each of those books in paper :)

If you add in the Fictionwise purchases still on my to-read pile (I buy when there are sales, then read them when I can) my cost per book will fall to about $3.50.

So, for those keeping track, how many e-books have you read so far?

pilotbob
12-24-2008, 02:15 PM

http://www.librarything.com/catalog/PilotBob&tag=ebook

BOb

lilac_jive
12-24-2008, 03:06 PM
I think around 40, all from Sony's site. Don't know how much, but probably on average of $6.50 each.

Nate the great
12-24-2008, 03:31 PM
I can't give an exact answer, but I would estimate the number to be in the high three digits.

worxland
12-24-2008, 03:44 PM
Around 40 in 4 months - all of them novels.

junkml
12-24-2008, 04:02 PM
I can't give an exact count, but I've been reading ebooks since around 1999 (started with Nuvomedia's Rocket Ebook). So I'd have to say my tally is in the hundreds, at least.

acprinter
12-24-2008, 04:08 PM
64 books, almost all from manybooks.

shighfield
12-24-2008, 04:31 PM
Couldn't count them all since '99 myself. :) I know I have 290 books on my Fictionwise bookshelf and they have all been read. Then there's all teh free ones, etc... On average 10 books a month so aprox 1080 of them?

ShortNCuddlyAm
12-24-2008, 04:32 PM
I've not read enough ;)

Elsi
12-24-2008, 05:10 PM
I bought my Kindle at the beginning of the year and unwrapped it on 21 February. (They were backordered at first and then it arrived while I was in England.) Of the 137 books I have read this year -- so far -- 55 of them have been electronic books.

Sources: Baen free library: 6 Purchased from Baen/Webscriptions: 8 Free from Feedbooks: 3 Free from MobileRead: 5 Purchased from Fictionwise: 5 Free from TOR: 2 Free from Amazon: 3 Purchased from Amazon: 21 Free from Steve Jordan: 1 Unknown source: 1
The last electronic book I finished reading was Rules of Engagement by Elizabeth Moon, which I purchased from Baen. I'm currently in the middle of four other electronic books: A Passage to India by E M Forster, purchased from Amazon Club Dead by Charlaine Harris, purchased from Amazon Spacial Delivery by Gordon R Dickson, purchased from Baen Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson, unknown origin
I have *lots* of books queued up to read, but the electronic ones compete with the paper books that I read in my book-swapping group. Most of December, I've been catching up with my obligations there so of the 13 books I've completed in December, only one of those was an eBook.

Jadon
12-24-2008, 05:55 PM
I've had my eBookwise almost exactly three years. In that time I've read 199 novels, 27 anthologies, 8 nonfiction books, 329 individual sub-novel stories, and 9 nonfiction essays on it. :bookworm: The longest has been 4830 pages, at the largest-font settings I use, which equates to about 4.3 screens per paperback page.

pdurrant
12-24-2008, 06:15 PM
I've read just over 1400 ebooks, as near as I can reckon it.

I've bought around 850 from fictionwise, over 600 from webscriptions. Others are from various freebies and a few from other retailers.

Just wondering, for those who keep track, how many e-books you have read. More than 50? More than 100?

slayda
12-24-2008, 06:18 PM
A bunch but not nearly as many as I've bought and you people keep finding freebies. :eek: Good thing I'm retired and have time to read. :rolleyes:

delphidb96
12-25-2008, 01:30 AM
Well into the triple-digits. Right now I'm wending my way through William Shatner's "Star Fleet Academy: Collision Course" - with side trips to Jane Lindskold's "The Buried Pyramid" and Kay Hooper's "Stealing Shadows".

Derek

Jellby
12-25-2008, 04:09 AM

Well... maybe not, but it could be around that number.

I think it's 39 created by myself (and 4 more in the process), and around 10 downloaded from here... That's ~50 in total, in less than one year.

pdurrant
12-25-2008, 04:56 AM
I decided to work out just what I'd bought over the past six years or so. Luckily the two main on-line ebook stores I've bought from are both still in business.

I've bought 594 books from webscriptions.net, for $1950, working out to just under $3.29 each.

I've bought 845 books from fictionwise, for $2050, working out to just under $2.43 each.

Of course, the webscriptions books are all whole novels or even two or three novels in a "megabook", while the fictionwise total includes several short stories.

It's still surprising to see that the average cost of the books is lower at fictionwise. Perhaps because I've taken advantage of many 100% rebate and other offers over the years at fictionwise.

These book purchases are over the past six years. So I've spent, on average, $55 on twenty books per month.

Of course, working out how much that is in real money (Sterling!) is tricky, as the exchange rate has fluctuated wildly over the past six years. Taking todays rate though, that's about 37/month, or two and a half hardbacks, or five paperbacks.

And now it sounds like the children are up, and I must be off to more important things...

Paul

I've read just over 1400 ebooks, as near as I can reckon it.

I've bought around 850 from fictionwise, over 600 from webscriptions. Others are from various freebies and a few from other retailers.

zelda_pinwheel
12-25-2008, 06:20 AM

Well... maybe not, but it could be around that number.

I think it's 39 created by myself (and 4 more in the process), and around 10 downloaded from here... That's ~50 in total, in less than one year.

:snicker:

guess what : i just counted (i started keeping track using an excel file in january) and counting only ebooks, my number is....

heheheh. i've read some paper books as well during that time.

HarryT
12-25-2008, 06:48 AM
I've been reading eBooks for well over 20 years. Given that I read at least a couple of books a week, the total must be 2000+.

mjh215
12-25-2008, 06:53 AM
I've read a few dozen on my Sony from various sources, including a few from here... Another few dozen on the computer over the past 20 years or so... To be honest I despised reading books on a monitor so often I would start something and then wait til I could find it in book form, or just print it out.

-MJ

DixieGal
12-25-2008, 08:11 AM
When I saw this thread, I immediately thought of Elsi. She keeps perfect records and is lovely and sweet in person.

I finished about 60 since I got my reader for Christmas last year. About a quarter or third of them were free downloads.

Fledchen
12-28-2008, 06:39 PM
According to my book journal (which dates back to August 2005) I've read a grand total of 3 ebooks. Only one of those has been on the dedicated ebook reader I purchased earlier this month, the other two were on my desktop's monitor. That's out of the 207 books I've read (in a hodgepodge of formats) since I started keeping track.

lilac_jive
12-28-2008, 06:43 PM
According to my book journal (which dates back to August 2005) I've read a grand total of 3 ebooks. Only one of those has been on the dedicated ebook reader I purchased earlier this month, the other two were on my desktop's monitor. That's out of the 207 books I've read (in a hodgepodge of formats) since I started keeping track.

Well if you just got your device earlier this month, then that is understandable :)

Harry001
12-28-2008, 11:05 PM
for the last 3 years, i have read about 350 books with my palm and for the last 3 days 3 books for sure with my 505 (patriot games, red rabbit and hunt for red october - all from clancy) and the biggest i have ever read on my palm was the stand - stephen king with around 1000 pages.

and aside from that - around 400 magazines like motorcycle magazines, der spiegel, focus, times magazine, nat geo, readers dig.

and my daily dose of nytimes.com, economist.com, sueddeutsche.de, spiegel.de, stern.de, heise.de, hurriyet.com.tr, milliyet.com.tr,lemonde.fr,latribune.fr/accueil, lefigaro.fr, and some more
for over 8 years
keep em coming
harry

desertgrandma
12-29-2008, 12:14 AM
for the last 3 years, i have read about 350 books with my palm and for the last 3 days 3 books for sure with my 505 (patriot games, red rabbit and hunt for red october - all from clancy) and the biggest i have ever read on my palm was the stand - stephen king with around 1000 pages.

and aside from that - around 400 magazines like motorcycle magazines, der spiegel, focus, times magazine, nat geo, readers dig.

and my daily dose of nytimes.com, economist.com, sueddeutsche.de, spiegel.de, stern.de, heise.de, hurriyet.com.tr, milliyet.com.tr,lemonde.fr,latribune.fr/accueil, lefigaro.fr, and some more
for over 8 years
keep em coming
harry

how did you find these on e-book format? I was under the impression they weren't available?

Lilly
12-29-2008, 12:44 AM
from November 2007 to today, I've read 290 books

wayrad
12-30-2008, 11:04 AM
I currently have 587 books on my Zodiac, most of which I've read. I know that I've lost/mislaid/deleted some files at various times, though.

Harry001
12-30-2008, 01:41 PM
to desertgrandma
when i lived in the philippines for 4 years, i bought a dvd with some thousand of ebooks at a bookstore in makati (manila) for $20 and when i broused through the dvd i found out, that it was not only almost all the classic pd books but also a big bunch of bestsellers.
so i am happy to read them.
buying them here would be illegal - but at that time in the philippines buying them was legal and not "under the table".

happy reading

harry

TallMomof2
12-30-2008, 10:34 PM
Approximately 1000 since the summer of 2003. That does include a number of short stories and novellas, approximately 200 out of the 1000.

basschick
12-31-2008, 01:57 AM
lessee... since june, i've bought around 75 ebooks and read just over 80 freebies. plus i had read a bunch from the baen free library before i got my cybook.

Dopedangel
12-31-2008, 02:59 AM
1500-2000 ebooks over the last eight years.
It all started with my being unable to find any of the Tarzan books after #4 In Karachi
I had read the first four in Urdu so finding the others on the net in english and finding more books on the darknet that have never been released in my city as there was no market for them
I started reading a lot of books on a PC later I bought a cheap 2nd hand PC and joined it to my 21inch Tv screen.
2 years ago I was able to buy a Windows Mobile phone and have been reading on it with ubook ever since

Sweetpea
12-31-2008, 04:15 AM
I've no idea how many books I've read, must be in the three digits. I've been reading electronic since 2000 or 2001.

But I also re-read books, especially if a new book in a series has come out), right now I'm reading book 5 of the Dune series (the original one), as I recently bought Sandworms of Dune and Hunters of Dune.

YGG-
01-07-2009, 12:40 PM
for over 8 years
keep em coming
harry

Hey! How do you get those in e-format, bitte? :blink:
YGG

YGG-
01-07-2009, 12:49 PM
I've read a few on my laptop in the past (40+ I guess) but the thing wasn't comfy enough; I read _a lot_ of paperbooks.
Now I've had a CyBook for a fortnight & I already read 12 e-books (Peter Robinson, William Gibson & lots of kinky XIXth century French detective novels... nobody's perfect).
I'll probably go on buying (paper) books, but I'll never ever again haul them around the world with me when I travel, + I intend to amass all the reference I need in my E-book reader.
Next, I want to read my morning papers with it too. :bookworm:

Andybaby
01-08-2009, 04:58 AM
you know i started to make a short list of the books i read based on bob's example, and i only got through maybe 4 authors till my list was over 50 books. and i didnt even start on some of the other authors and i know i missed alot.

http://www.librarything.com/catalog/Andybaby

All but 2 of the books on that list i read as an Ebook, A war of Gifts, and a Door into summer (which was my first heinlein)

Spectrum
01-08-2009, 09:14 AM
One-uno don't laugh!
It is: The White Tiger: A Novel by Aravind Adiga

PRS-505
My wife read about 5 and her cousin 4 on the same devise.

zelda_pinwheel
01-08-2009, 09:21 AM
Hey! How do you get those in e-format, bitte? :blink:
YGG

you might try calibre, it is a very good at making ebooks out of rss feeds, and some if not all of those are built-in (you can make a request for the rest). since i see you've got a cybook, you would need to export them in epub format, then open that with mobipocket destop reader, which will automatically convert them to mobipocket format (calibre will soon be able to export directly in mobi, but not quite yet). then you can send to your cybook and read them there.

you can also take a look at feedbooks news feeds (http://www.feedbooks.com/feeds/popular) and newspapers (http://www.feedbooks.com/newspapers/popular) ; they can be exported directly in mobipocket.

YGG-
01-09-2009, 05:53 AM
you might try calibre, it is a very good at making ebooks out of rss feeds, and some if not all of those are built-in (you can make a request for the rest). since i see you've got a cybook, you would need to export them in epub format, then open that with mobipocket destop reader, which will automatically convert them to mobipocket format (calibre will soon be able to export directly in mobi, but not quite yet). then you can send to your cybook and read them there.

you can also take a look at feedbooks news feeds (http://www.feedbooks.com/feeds/popular) and newspapers (http://www.feedbooks.com/newspapers/popular) ; they can be exported directly in mobipocket.

Thanks a lot, Zelda ;-)

mtravellerh
01-09-2009, 06:08 AM
I have read about 350-400 e-books.

YGG-
01-09-2009, 06:10 AM

Yes but no: MobiPocket reader shuts down abruptly every time I try to import a file that"s not .MOBI ...:help:
I'm on windows XP.

mtravellerh
01-09-2009, 06:12 AM
Have you tried to remove and reinstall Mobi? This is definitely not normal.

Curly
01-09-2009, 06:35 AM
Since the beginning of December I've read 9 ebooks, granted a few were Bobbsey Twin books! Haven't had to buy any yet.

BookishDreamer
01-09-2009, 09:51 AM
One-uno don't laugh!
It is: The White Tiger: A Novel by Aravind Adiga

PRS-505
My wife read about 5 and her cousin 4 on the same devise.

Are you sure the Reader still belongs to you? Sounds like some wily readers have absconded with your precious and you just haven't realized it yet. ;)

I've read 73 ebooks and all of those were read in the past year.

Dreamer

zelda_pinwheel
01-09-2009, 09:51 AM
Yes but no: MobiPocket reader shuts down abruptly every time I try to import a file that"s not .MOBI ...:help:
I'm on windows XP.

Have you tried to remove and reinstall Mobi? This is definitely not normal.

yes, mtravellerh is right ; i had to reassign the epub filetype myself because otherwise double-clicking an epub file would launch the mobipocket destop app. it would grind for a while and then open with the converted epub displayed (the mobipocket file can be found in the default mobi directory, i think it's my documents > my library or something like that, i can't remember, i don't use it).

try uninstalling / reinstalling the mobi app, and make sure you have the latest version (it can be downloaded for free from the mobipocket website).

YGG-
01-09-2009, 10:10 AM
try uninstalling / reinstalling the mobi app, and make sure you have the latest version (it can be downloaded for free from the mobipocket website).
Will do. :( (tbc)

bookwormfjl
01-09-2009, 10:14 AM
I have read 192 ebooks over the past 2+ years!

kazbates
01-09-2009, 10:17 AM
I've read almost 250 in the last 2 years, almost exclusively purchased ebooks, since receiving my ebookwise 1150 as a gift. I've also, read a small handfull of classics from Gutenburg. Since receiving my new Sony 700 for Christmas, I've read 5 ebooks. Thank goodness the kids have gone back to school - I was slowing down on my reading!! ;)
Kaz

geneven
08-14-2009, 12:47 PM
I must have read over a hundred, mostly from Project Gutenberg. For starters, I read all the Sue Grafton alphabet novels (not from Gutenberg), most of Henry James, etc etc.

That was all on my Nokia N800 or my Nokia N810. I just got a Kindle and have read three books so far, but I've only had it for a few days.

On second thought, I must've read more than 200.

Hellmark
08-14-2009, 12:54 PM
I started reading ebooks a year ago, and in that time I've read 64.

ravenlife
08-14-2009, 01:07 PM
Ive probably got through around 40 or so in the last 8 months

delphidb96
08-14-2009, 01:19 PM
Last time I checked - which was Wednesday as I'm in the process of moving data files from the current desktop to the new one - my "I've read these" folder had 5,437 mobi- and ereader ebooks.

Guess that I'm one of the heavy-duty ebook readers! :D

Derek

Hellmark
08-14-2009, 01:23 PM
I still read on dead tree, and I've only had my ebook reader a few weeks. Plus work full time, and goto school full time, for very little reading time. Still, only reason I read as much as I do, is having my N800 or 505. They are easy to carry with, and so when I get a few minutes of downtime, I can read. Much harder to do with paper books

Anggun
08-14-2009, 01:36 PM
Seriously, I've lost count. I've been buying and reading ebooks since I accidentally stumbled upon Fictionwise since 2004. I think I've bought like 600+ ebooks since then. Not to mention the ebooks from my Overdrive library. I know I've borrowed hundreds.. reading and returning them within a few days.
What I've noticed is that my ebook reading that increased tremendously since I got a dedicated ebook reader.
I did check myself this February and I found that I had read 61 ebooks for the month.
It was kind of a shock for me.. I don't ever remember reading that much of p.books in a month.

lilac_jive
08-14-2009, 01:52 PM
I think I'm at 150 or so (since last May).

Sweetpea
08-14-2009, 01:53 PM
I don't want to know... I will only find out I don't have enough time to read what I want...

pilotbob
08-14-2009, 01:54 PM
Up from 20 to 52 since this thread started.

I like how easy it is with LibraryThing to check on stuff like that now. I can even tell you what book I read each month since I started keeping track:

BOb

Elsi
08-14-2009, 05:34 PM
I bought my Kindle at the beginning of the year and unwrapped it on 21 February. (They were backordered at first and then it arrived while I was in England.) Of the 137 books I have read this year -- so far -- 55 of them have been electronic books.

Sources: Baen free library: 6 Purchased from Baen/Webscriptions: 8 Free from Feedbooks: 3 Free from MobileRead: 5 Purchased from Fictionwise: 5 Free from TOR: 2 Free from Amazon: 3 Purchased from Amazon: 21 Free from Steve Jordan: 1 Unknown source: 1
I finished up 2008 having read 140 books in total, 56 of them electronic books. So far in 2009, I've read 78 books, 31 of which were electronic books. So that makes 87 electronic books in all.

Up from 20 to 52 since this thread started.

I like how easy it is with LibraryThing to check on stuff like that now. I can even tell you what book I read each month since I started keeping track:

I use Goodreads for the same purpose. http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/731092-elsi?shelf=ebooks

I still read on dead tree, and I've only had my ebook reader a few weeks. Plus work full time, and goto school full time, for very little reading time. Still, only reason I read as much as I do, is having my N800 or 505. They are easy to carry with, and so when I get a few minutes of downtime, I can read. Much harder to do with paper books
Yes, I read paper books. I have too much fun in my book swapping group to go entirely to electronic books.

pilotbob
08-14-2009, 06:21 PM
I finished up 2008 having read 140 books in total, 56 of them electronic books. So far in 2009, I've read 78 books, 31 of which were electronic books. So that makes 87 electronic books in all.

http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/basic/smileyvault-worthy.gif (http://www.smileyvault.com/)

bbusybookworm
08-14-2009, 10:13 PM
I've read 40-50 Ebooks over the past year, and probably 6-8 times that over the past 8 years.

Before the last 2 years or so, E-books were a supplement, not my preffered format for reading books.

On getting a dedicated Reader, I finally shifted to getting eBooks almost exclusively, only going for Hard copy for a few books I want to complete my collection or I couldn't get in E.

Xenophon
08-15-2009, 02:27 PM
I've been reading eBooks for about 10 years now. My Calibre library shows about 700 eBooks, and I think I'm all caught up on reading them, so I guess the answer would be "700, +/- 50".

Xenophon

rixte
08-15-2009, 03:23 PM
I'm at close to 1000, I started reading ebooks in about 97 or so but that was project gutenberg on a computer so there it was slow going - then in 99 I got a Compaq Aero and Baen started publishing and I met PeanutPress and the rocket ebook and it took off. I've cycled on and off how exclusively ebook I am, depending on formats and devices. Right now I'm at 90% ebooks, 10% paper.

The number's a rough one, based on palm reader files purchased, fictionwise purchased and guesses on public domain, baen and other assorted sources.

sassanik
08-15-2009, 04:20 PM
Since I bought my first ereader last spring I can safely say that I have read at least 320 ebooks, though some of those were short stories and novellas.

It seems to me that my yearly average of reading books for the last few years has been somewhere around 200 books, that being based on how many books I tend to read in a one week period.

Amy

Xiaopanda
08-15-2009, 04:25 PM
Hmm.... For me, since I have had my EZ reader....... around 8-10 novels. I read a lot and don't often watch TV....

apswartz
08-15-2009, 10:30 PM
Wow! I have no idea!

basschick
08-15-2009, 10:47 PM
i got my cybook a year ago june, and i've read just under 300 ebooks.

griffonwing
08-15-2009, 11:05 PM
I'll get my PEZ at the end of this month. By then, I'll have converted enough books to last me a few years.

I've read several on my laptop, so that will be about 30-50.

kazbates
08-15-2009, 11:18 PM
I'll get my PEZ at the end of this month. By then, I'll have converted enough books to last me a few years.

I've read several on my laptop, so that will be about 30-50.

Ryleigh gets a new PEZ for each of the major holidays. She especially liked the Tinkerbell PEZ she got in her basket from the Easter bunny, but I bet she would like this one, too! ;)

griffonwing
08-15-2009, 11:29 PM
Ryleigh gets a new PEZ for each of the major holidays. She especially liked the Tinkerbell PEZ she got in her basket from the Easter bunny, but I bet she would like this one, too! ;)

:groan: :smack:

i love comedians :D

apswartz
08-15-2009, 11:39 PM
I have hundreds of books, not counting the newspaper subscriptions on my Kindle.

yekim54
08-15-2009, 11:43 PM

HarryT
08-16-2009, 04:52 AM
Given the fact that I've been reading eBooks for something like 25 years now, it must be in the thousands.

smithno
08-16-2009, 07:22 AM
92 + 3 in progress in about 13 months.:bookworm:

krischik
08-16-2009, 01:00 PM

Interesting, can you tell me more about that service?

pilotbob
08-16-2009, 01:25 PM
Interesting, can you tell me more about that service?

It's pretty simple. It is a place where you can catalog your books. It was actually "designed" to enter all of your physical books to keep track of them. You can compare you library to others including famous people and such. However, the way I use it is to only enter books after I read them. You can also get recommendations based on what you enter and read reviews of current and newly coming out books.

You can create your own tags and tag books as you want. I create a tag for each Month/Year that I read/finish the book. I also have an 'ebook' tag I use to indicate it was an ebook.

Several people here are on the service. Also, several use Goodreads.com. It is similar.

Keep in mind library thing is free for the first 200 books. However, I paid the $25 for a lifetime membership. Goodreads.com is 100% free IIRC.

Look in the lounge you will find threads about both of these services.

BOb

Hellmark
08-17-2009, 02:52 AM
Shelfari is another service like that, and is free.

Terisa de morgan
08-17-2009, 05:54 AM
And anobii is another one.

kazbates
08-17-2009, 08:50 AM
I use CollectorZ, but you have to buy the software and it's not really set up for ebooks. I've sent the company a number of emails over the last couple of years to see when they were going to start including ebooks and they just aren't ready to do it yet. I think they were under the impression that ebooks are just a fad. :rolleyes: It's a nice piece of software though, and it searches a database for all the metadata based on the title and author or the ISBN. I still use it to catalog ebooks, I've just tweeked it a little to suit me.

I have a strange feeling that the company wished I'd never purchased the software, though. :o After their last software update (a fairly significant one), I must have sent them a dozen emails with questions and concerns. :p After my final email, they suggested I might want to go back to an earlier version and they would refund me the upgrade fee. :rolleyes: I can't help it if I'm a perfectionist! :cool:

Lemurion
08-17-2009, 10:27 AM
Hundreds - possibly over a thousand. I really don't know and I've been reading eBooks for years.

alecE
08-17-2009, 04:38 PM
Since January, 83 ebooks and perhaps 10 pbooks. The ebooks are a mix of the freebies which came with my 505, purchased items and freebies from Gutenberg & Feedbooks. Would probably manage to read more if I wasn't playing around with converting gutenberg texts to epubs via VB.net and calibre. Sigil of course will be the next port of call. If I find the time, might manage an analysis of fiction vs non-fiction, by sources.

AnemicOak
08-17-2009, 05:07 PM
Since I got my 505 in October of '07 I've read 1125 books. Of those seven were pbooks, the rest were ebooks. 229 were shorter Novella's and Short Stories and 427 were re-reads of books I've read in the past.

I'd read a few ebooks before getting my 505 over the years, but have no idea how many. Maybe 100.

am_mread
08-17-2009, 05:11 PM
Just wondering, for those who keep track, how many e-books you have read.

So, for those keeping track, how many e-books have you read so far?

I'll have to go by memory, 'cause I haven't really kept track until recently using GoodReads. I'm guessing it's at least 300...

dmaul1114
08-18-2009, 01:41 PM
10 or so since getting a used Kindle in April. Readings not my top hobby, so I generally just read 30 minutes to an hour before sleeping a few nights a week, on planes, in waiting rooms etc.

NormHart
08-18-2009, 03:42 PM
About 350 ebooks of which about half were read in HTML on my PC prior to my acquisition of a Kindle2.

I currently have 102 "to be reads" on my Kindle and about 50 "to be reads" on the PC awaiting transfer to the Kindle.

I purchase about 15 ebooks from Baen and pickup 2-5 freebies here monthly.

(I really don't have a life. :rolleyes:)

:bookworm:

RJ_Cruze_Jr
08-18-2009, 08:19 PM
76 and climbing :bookworm:

Before I got my 505, I read about a dozen on the PC -- and that was over the course of three years. Since I got the 505, I read the other 60 or so on it in less than a year and a half. In fact, I think I've only read a dozen or so paper books in the same time frame.

What can I say? I like my 505 :grin:

yekim54
08-19-2009, 08:53 AM

geneven
08-21-2009, 08:50 AM
Would probably manage to read more if I wasn't playing around with converting gutenberg texts to epubs via VB.net and calibre. Sigil of course will be the next port of call. If I find the time, might manage an analysis of fiction vs non-fiction, by sources.

You're in luck, since Gutenberg is now making books available in epub and mobi formats just like the other formats they support, so you shouldn't have to convert much?

Xanthe
03-03-2010, 12:32 PM
About five, but then I only got the Libre a few weeks ago.;)

Bremen Cole
03-04-2010, 07:19 AM
Many, I have no idea how many, but many..... Been reading ebooks exclusively for 10 years.....

Sydney's Mom
03-04-2010, 09:42 PM
120 checked off on Calibre. But I know I didn't keep track last year, so I should find another 200 or so out of my 1046 library that were already read. But I bought 4 books this week, so I am not making much progress. I have this problem with yarn, too.

MAT160
03-16-2010, 03:54 PM
Since December 24, 2009
I've read "100" E-Books (I currently hvae 181 books on it)
I really love PRS-600 and I take it with almost everywhere!

kdf9511
03-16-2010, 08:19 PM
Well I have been reading ebooks for over 15 years on multiple devices. My current library has aprox 5000 books many are dups in diffrent formats though so probably only 3000 seprate titles. I would have to say I have probably read about 70% of those books. Alot of them multiple times.

Since I have gotten my Astek Pocket Pro a few weeks ago I have already been through about 35 books. And since the current series I am reading are fairly short books I have been going through a book a night so I figure I should have these 80 knocked out in about 2 more months.

PDS
03-16-2010, 10:13 PM
Around 250 read, and I have 57 on my reader still to go.

DoctorOhh
03-19-2010, 08:42 PM
Since I got my ereader in the middle of Jan 2009 I have read 104 ebooks. About 1 every 4 days. :)

Before the ereader I read about 1 every 44 days (a total guesstimate).

GhostHawk
03-20-2010, 01:31 PM
I'm not sure of exactly how many, but I think it would be in the 250 - 300 bracket. I've had my reader for about 6 months now.

Scott Nielsen
03-21-2010, 07:11 AM
I'm not sure of exactly how many, but I think it would be in the 250 - 300 bracket. I've had my reader for about 6 months now.

That means you average more than one book a day. I just can't fathom how that is even possible..

GhostHawk
03-21-2010, 09:36 AM
Time, I have oodles of it. Disabled, yet denied for disability, in effect I'm retired for health reasons. Along with other issues my Adrenal glands just shut down, leaves me with very low energy and zero ambition.

Plus I've been rereading a lot of the old sci-fi fantasy stuff from my youth. Many of those are only 150 - 250 pages. I'm up every morning at 6, and normally don't head for bed until 10-11. That leaves a lot of hours to fill. Books do it very very well for the most part.

Scott Nielsen
03-22-2010, 12:22 AM
Gotcha. Hugely impressive either way!

Marcy
03-22-2010, 02:21 AM
I decided to work out just what I'd bought over the past six years or so. Luckily the two main on-line ebook stores I've bought from are both still in business.

I've bought 594 books from webscriptions.net, for $1950, working out to just under $3.29 each.

I've bought 845 books from fictionwise, for $2050, working out to just under $2.43 each.

Of course, the webscriptions books are all whole novels or even two or three novels in a "megabook", while the fictionwise total includes several short stories.

It's still surprising to see that the average cost of the books is lower at fictionwise. Perhaps because I've taken advantage of many 100% rebate and other offers over the years at fictionwise.

Paul

I realize the original post is old, but I just compared my numbers and find them strikingly similar, except that I've paid less per ebook.

866 books from Fictionwise for $1656.19 --> $1.91/book.

176 books from Baen for $439 --> $2.49/book

The Baen total is a bit off, because some of the books I "own" twice, as most newer webscriptions contain books I already own.

I was quite impressed with what a bargain I've been getting at Fictionwise. Granted the number is skewed by some of the recent 100% rebate even when paying with Micropay sales, but even so! To get my Micropay dollars I'm usually buying books that cost $17, so it took a lot of cheap stuff to get my average so low.

-Marcy

emonti8384
03-30-2010, 07:32 PM
Today is my one year anniversary with Cody! Although I had to send him in and ended up getting him replaced with a silver 505...okay so it's my one year anniversary since the date of purchase, my bad. Anyway, since the very first day I brought him home I have read 233 books on my reader.

Sony site-135
BoB-10
Kobo-31
Fictionwise-15
AllRomace-30
Dreamspinner-2
Misc-10

I didn't count the others I haven't read yet; these are saved on a different SD card.

I have to be the only weirdo that does this-when I buy a book I automatically save it on 1 SD card (after I've stripped the DRM, of course) and add it to my reader. Then, every couple of months, I go through the books on my reader and those that I have read I delete and those I have not read I put on another SD card and delete them from my reader. Then, when I have exhausted all of my favorite authors and have no choice but to start re-reading, I pop in the "Unread" SD card and start working at the "pile" of books I have on there. Does that seem weird to anyone else? I never realized I did it like that until I started counting the books I have read against the ones I haven't and found I have a pattern going on, lol. To me it seems easier to keep track that way.

coderserdar
10-28-2011, 05:02 AM
about 700

HomeInMyShoes
10-28-2011, 09:58 AM
22. I've only had my e-reader since June and I'm finding now that the prices are just leading me to the library for paper or getting books as gifts.

yakuzaboss
10-28-2011, 12:51 PM
I've read 108 since I September 2010. 82 of which I read since January 2011 for the 'READ 100 BOOKS IN 2011' challenge.

Quexos
10-29-2011, 04:13 PM
How the hell do you read over a 100 books in a year, I can't do that grrrrr !
I've read 7 books in that time, granted one was a huge one (It by Stephen king) But still I wish I could read more cause there's so much to read and so little time.

I've read 108 since I September 2010. 82 of which I read since January 2011 for the 'READ 100 BOOKS IN 2011' challenge.

Asawi
10-29-2011, 04:22 PM
I've had my reader about a year and read about 200 books.

I read at least one book/week, but some weeks, especially during dark winter nights, I read several books/week. I try to mix relatively easy/quick reads with somewhat harder/heavier/slower reads.

CWatkinsNash
10-29-2011, 10:50 PM
Nice choice for thread necro! :D I got my K3 about the 2nd week of December last year, and I've read close to 80 on it since then. (That's a guess on that first two weeks, but I'm currently on my 75th book for this year.)

caleb72
10-30-2011, 05:56 AM
46 this year so far.
Maybe 20 at the most last year.

patrickt
10-30-2011, 06:32 AM
I failed to start a "life book list" in 1950 and I feel it's too late now. So, I have no idea how many books I've read whether electronic, hardback, or paperback. I can say absolutely I've never read a scroll. I've also never listen to a audible book.

Hamlet53
10-30-2011, 01:50 PM
Somewhere between 100 and 200 I would guess. Total spent probably less than $50. There is just so many available for free here at Mobileread and other legitimate sources of free ebooks, not to mention ebooks available for temporary checkout through my local library system and Free Library of Philadelphia.

shanghaichica
10-30-2011, 03:35 PM
Around 90.

kennyc
10-30-2011, 03:39 PM

oh, no wait... that's the answer to a different question.

um.....666...oh wait...

To be honest I not only have no idea but don't really care, I prefer to read in ebook format so the majority of my reading is in that format now, but I do still read what I must in paper form. I will say that I have 299 books in my Calibre library and have probably read 200 of them...but there have been others as well from library and some deleted etc...

Quake1028
10-31-2011, 04:29 PM
Interesting question. Unfortunately, I can only estimate.

I got my Kindle 2 sometime in probably April or so of last year.

I got my Kindle 3 on release date in August of last year.

I got my iPad 2 this June.

I want to say around 60 eBooks in that time. I went into a huge reading funk from around October of last year all the way up until May of this year, so that's 7 months I lost ouf an 18 month time period. So, 60 books over 11 months is around 5 1/2 books a month. I'm happy with that.

yakuzaboss
11-01-2011, 05:26 PM
How the hell do you read over a 100 books in a year, I can't do that grrrrr !
I've read 7 books in that time, granted one was a huge one (It by Stephen king) But still I wish I could read more cause there's so much to read and so little time.

I just love to read. It really helps that I don't watch TV, maybe 5 hours a week, if that. Some of the books I've read were quick reads, 200 pages or less. And some just had excellent pacing and flowed very well.

kennyc
11-01-2011, 05:26 PM
I just love to read. It really helps that I don't watch TV, maybe 5 hours a week, if that. Some of the books I've read were quick reads, 200 pages or less. And some just had excellent pacing and flowed very well.

and you're Canadian! :rofl:

Nyssa
11-01-2011, 05:57 PM
In the 9 months I've owned a Kindle I've read 32 e-books

theducks
11-01-2011, 06:49 PM
2 or 3 a week (some are re-reads)
Not much different from when P books were under $3 :thumbsup:

pilotbob
11-02-2011, 12:24 AM

I love to read, but I enjoy many TV shows, surfing the web, as well as playing boardgames. I don't focus on any one of my hobbies any more than others.

So, I probably read about 1 book a month. I'm ok with that too. I'm still well about the US average I'm pretty sure.

BOb

kennyc
11-02-2011, 04:51 AM
You're my hero pilotBOb!

nikkers
11-03-2011, 05:13 AM
Since 2002 when I srarted e reading . I have 1610 books at fictionwise. 221 at Sony afew elsewhere and over a hundred at Webscriptions.

Quake1028
11-03-2011, 07:38 AM
I love to read, but I enjoy many TV shows, surfing the web, as well as playing boardgames. I don't focus on any one of my hobbies any more than others.

So, I probably read about 1 book a month. I'm ok with that too. I'm still well about the US average I'm pretty sure.

BOb

Yeah, if I could curb or get rid of my hobbies of watching sports, watching movies, playing video games, internet and music, I'm sure I could read 100 books a year. But, I would get too burnt out by that. I like a balance. I think around 60-65 books in a year is perfect for me.

Sydney's Mom
11-03-2011, 02:59 PM
I go in spurts. I might read steadily for 2 weeks, then spend a week and a half knitting, and then several days playing Angry Birds. The only habit I would like to break is Angry Birds (actually, I finished AB, I am just using it to refer to the general group of time-sucking Android Apps (which Amazon is sending to me on a daily basis)).

kennyc
11-03-2011, 03:18 PM
... (actually, I finished AB, I am just using it to refer to the general group of time-sucking Android Apps (which Amazon is sending to me on a daily basis)).

in that case Amazon is NOT your friend! :D

pilotbob
11-04-2011, 11:01 PM
You're my hero pilotBOb!

I like a guy that is easy to impress.

BOb