View Full Version : Are there any romance readers in the house?

lilac_jive
12-21-2008, 09:24 PM
Come on now, don't be shy.

Thought if we had enough people we could do something fun, like monthly recommendations, new books for the reader, stuff like that.

So if you're around, what genre do you like? What are you reading right now?

I loves me my historical (Regency), but I have been known to branch out. Reading "A Matter of Scandal" by Suzanne Enoch. Its an older book, one I managed not to snag at the library and was added to the Ebookstore a month or so ago.

Super happy they are adding older romance on the site, since you can never find them at the bookstore.

FizzyWater
12-22-2008, 01:36 AM
Hi, LJ!

Did you go over and get the Cara Summers freebie at Sony? It's a Harlequin Blaze.

I just finished (a re-read of) Linnea Sinclair's "Finders Keepers". It's a science-fiction (space opera) romance.

Laine
12-22-2008, 01:48 AM
I have hundreds of romances.
I always buy the Harlequin Presents bundle - 12 books a month.
I buy just about any Regency I can get my hands on.
Regency is my favourite. I just reread 'Lady Hathaways's House Party' for the umpteenth time. About to reread 'Banished' by Barbara McMahon.
I keep 4 of my favourites on my phone for odd minutes.
I got into Regency in high school. My old teacher from Infants (5-7) lent me all her hardbacks.
Be glad to swap recommendations with you.

Laine

lilac_jive
12-22-2008, 10:33 AM
Hi, LJ!

Did you go over and get the Cara Summers freebie at Sony? It's a Harlequin Blaze.

I just finished (a re-read of) Linnea Sinclair's "Finders Keepers". It's a science-fiction (space opera) romance.

I was going to pick that up today, thank goodness it is still available. I don't usually read contemporary or the little romances (as I call the Blazes and such) but free is free!

Laine- Lady Hathaway sounds cool, but I can't find it on the ebookstore :(

Laine
12-22-2008, 11:00 AM
Laine- Lady Hathaway sounds cool, but I can't find it on the ebookstore :([/QUOTE]

I probably got it from Fictionwise or Regency Reads. I don't think they do Sony but they do drm free lit that you could convert.

I mostly get them from Fictionwise as they have eReader files and Regency Reads, who are the publishers, have the old palm files with no TOC or colour cover.

Regency Reads republish 5 old Regencies every month.

I'm trying to do more Romance reading as I'm going to a Romance Reader's Convention in Melbourne in February.

Laine

badgoodDeb
12-22-2008, 05:47 PM
So just where does "Regency Reads" publish these 5 books a month?

I got my start on romance with the "Georgette Heyer" series-- the first one being loaned to me by an English teacher in high school! They are delicious Regencies, and quite clean too (so safe for a high schooler to start on).

lilac_jive
12-22-2008, 07:17 PM
So just where does "Regency Reads" publish these 5 books a month?

I got my start on romance with the "Georgette Heyer" series-- the first one being loaned to me by an English teacher in high school! They are delicious Regencies, and quite clean too (so safe for a high schooler to start on).

I've been meaning to check out Georgette Heyer. My friend recommended them and said she was awesome.

Laine
12-22-2008, 09:17 PM
[QUOTE=badgoodDeb;311971]So just where does "Regency Reads" publish these 5 books a month?

The website is regencyreads.com The books are also on the multiformat side of Fictionwise.

Every month I check Regency Reads to find out the new releases then look for them on Fictionwise. RR usually releases them all at the beginning of the month and FW gradually through the month.

I've got 4 of this month's so far. This morning I bought and read A Christmas Conspiracy . It's shorter than usual.

Laine

Yosa
12-24-2008, 03:35 AM
I read tons and tons of romance novels and just recently decided to go the ebook route to reduce the number of books and used books I go through - to reduce clutter in the house. I find the library is a great resource (since I use a Sony reader I can use the Adobe Digital Editions technology to check out books) for harlequins. You can read the books for 14 days and then they expire.

The selection is sometimes not the newest, but it has saved me money. Check for your local library on www.overdrive.com

I love reading Jayne Ann Krentz, Julia Quinn, Sherrilyn Kenyon, Karen Marie Moning, Suzanne Enoch, Stephanie Laurens, J.R. Ward, Kresley Cole, Christine Warren and many others.

lilac_jive
12-24-2008, 09:06 AM
I read tons and tons of romance novels and just recently decided to go the ebook route to reduce the number of books and used books I go through - to reduce clutter in the house. I find the library is a great resource (since I use a Sony reader I can use the Adobe Digital Editions technology to check out books) for harlequins. You can read the books for 14 days and then they expire.

The selection is sometimes not the newest, but it has saved me money. Check for your local library on www.overdrive.com

I love reading Jayne Ann Krentz, Julia Quinn, Sherrilyn Kenyon, Karen Marie Moning, Suzanne Enoch, Stephanie Laurens, J.R. Ward, Kresley Cole, Christine Warren and many others.

Julia Quinn is my most favoritest of all :D Suzanne Enoch is a close second.

Gibbo
12-24-2008, 12:34 PM
Personally I don't touch the stuff :D

book_addict
01-01-2009, 04:53 PM
I read all kinds of romance. I love regency but more contemporary romances are just as good in my opinion though I prefer the contemporary romances with a little murder mystery to them.

Maybe you know of this website already but I find HarperCollins has one of the best websites in terms of giving you chapter excerpts so you can decide beforehand whether to buy a new author or not.

Also I have given a link below which they frequently update books that you can read entire books for free. You can't download them unfortunately and they are only available I think for a month.

http://www.harpercollins.com/Imprints/Avon/features/lovegivesback/index.aspx

texasnightowl
01-05-2009, 05:40 PM
Oooh! I missed this! Yes...I'm a romance reader! I guess I would have to say that Regency is my favorite. I also like contemporaries that have a suspense/mystery element.

Favorite authors? Julie Garwood (only her historicals), Julia Quinn, Lisa Kleypas, Christina Dodd, Jayne Ann Krentz, Maggie Osborne (retired), Linda Howard (sometimes hit or miss for me). I kind of liked Christine Feehan's stuff but I'm pretty much over her now. I liked the first couple of Black Dagger Brotherhood books by J.R. Ward, but I'm mostly over those too. I'm a bit undecided on Nalini Singh's Psy-Changeling stuff. I like J.D. Robb's (Nora Roberts) Eve Dallas series. There are tons of other authors I've read, and if I want something "quick" I usually go for a Harlequin or Silhouette series book. I am in an apartment and running out of bookcase shelves, so I've basically gone cold turkey and am only buying ebooks for the Kindle.

lilac_jive
01-05-2009, 05:49 PM
Oooh! I missed this! Yes...I'm a romance reader! I guess I would have to say that Regency is my favorite. I also like contemporaries that have a suspense/mystery element.

Favorite authors? Julie Garwood (only her historicals), Julia Quinn, Lisa Kleypas, Christina Dodd, Jayne Ann Krentz, Maggie Osborne (retired), Linda Howard (sometimes hit or miss for me). I kind of liked Christine Feehan's stuff but I'm pretty much over her now. I liked the first couple of Black Dagger Brotherhood books by J.R. Ward, but I'm mostly over those too. I'm a bit undecided on Nalini Singh's Psy-Changeling stuff. I like J.D. Robb's (Nora Roberts) Eve Dallas series. There are tons of other authors I've read, and if I want something "quick" I usually go for a Harlequin or Silhouette series book. I am in an apartment and running out of bookcase shelves, so I've basically gone cold turkey and am only buying ebooks for the Kindle.

It is so much better not having a zillion paperbacks cramming my shelves, plus no one looking at me funny...

Elsi
01-05-2009, 11:38 PM
I've only recently become a reader of romances and chick-lit. What sold me are those lovely cross-over books that I call "mysterious romances" or "romantic mysteries". I'm not too keen on the Harlequin, Silhouette, Avalon and such romances, though I'll admit to reading a couple of those as well. I'm also new to what my book swappers call "PUF" -- paranormal & urban fiction. These aren't always romances, though many of them definitely are.

By the way, Romance Writers of America has a list of all the new releases every month. Check it out at http://www.rwanational.org/cs/authors_and_books/current_releases

blak4dr
01-06-2009, 07:01 AM
I am a big fan of regencies myself. In the last four months, I have read 80 of them and still have 50 to read (and keep buying them).
Julia Quinn, Suzanne Enoch, Marie Balogh, Eloisa James, Gayle Callen, Laura Lee Ghurke and Victoria Alexander are among my favorites. But I have a few more in store :)

Surfergirl
01-06-2009, 07:19 AM
I've been meaning to check out Georgette Heyer. My friend recommended them and said she was awesome.

Georgette Heyer is absolutely *the best* Regency writer ever - I got addicted when I was in school and have got every single book she's written. Mary Balogh is also good, and I've just recently discovered Suzanne Enoch.

mjh215
01-06-2009, 07:22 AM
I like Johanna Lindsey's books... errr (deepens voice), yeah, but I read them while eating a rare steak and drinking a six pack of beer... :o

-MJ

badgoodDeb
01-09-2009, 02:43 PM
Georgette Heyer is absolutely *the best* Regency writer ever - I got addicted when I was in school and have got every single book she's written.

Yup. What she said. I only started reading other authors after I had collected and read ALL of Ms Heyers work. :bookworm:

lilac_jive
01-09-2009, 04:24 PM
Georgette Heyer is absolutely *the best* Regency writer ever - I got addicted when I was in school and have got every single book she's written. Mary Balogh is also good, and I've just recently discovered Suzanne Enoch.

I love Suzanne Enoch. You should try Lisa Kleypas.

Sydney's Mom
01-09-2009, 06:24 PM
I like contemporary stuff. I used to order these books on-line from my library, but I swear the librarian was giving me looks. Being able to read in absolute privacy is great! I too found and downloaded all the Harlequin books - and since you all were so helpful, I was able to convert them for my kindle!

I am kind of cheap, so the bundles look good to me. I read the Best of Virgins bundle over XMas (I would say all but the 8th book were good) and now I am reading the first book of the Best of Temptation bundle, which is good.

I planned to show my kindle to someone over XMas, and my daughter (10) made me move all my "bad" books to an SD card, and remove it. That is the only problem - if I am reading, and someone expresses interest, I have to switch to another book. And if I am reading something called "Best of Virgins," I have to find something on another page!

Debra

da_jane
01-09-2009, 08:11 PM
Debra - how funny re: the card thing. I completely empathize. I am a huge lover of romance!

kazbates
01-09-2009, 09:32 PM
I am a huge romance reader although I like to hide this fact behind book covers! ;) I like both contemporary (particulary those with some humor) and historical (mostly regency). I have recently been reading more of the paranormal romances for something different. Christina Dodd has a Darkness Chosen series that I really enjoyed and Gena Showalter's Lords of the Underworld series is also very good. Lisa Renee Jones has another series through the Harlequin Paranormal series that is very good as well.
Kaz

lilac_jive
01-09-2009, 11:16 PM
I like contemporary stuff. I used to order these books on-line from my library, but I swear the librarian was giving me looks. Being able to read in absolute privacy is great! I too found and downloaded all the Harlequin books - and since you all were so helpful, I was able to convert them for my kindle!

I am kind of cheap, so the bundles look good to me. I read the Best of Virgins bundle over XMas (I would say all but the 8th book were good) and now I am reading the first book of the Best of Temptation bundle, which is good.

I planned to show my kindle to someone over XMas, and my daughter (10) made me move all my "bad" books to an SD card, and remove it. That is the only problem - if I am reading, and someone expresses interest, I have to switch to another book. And if I am reading something called "Best of Virgins," I have to find something on another page!

Debra

I have that problem all of the time. People are like, what is that? And I have to switch to a classic or something. Oh yes, I'm reading "Crime and Punishment..." Right.

Amalthia
01-10-2009, 02:35 AM
I like romances and my favorite authors are Jo Goodman, Jude Deveraux, and Judith McNaught and a few others. :)

Sydney's Mom
01-11-2009, 07:31 PM
I heard that a large portion of the population doesn't even read one book a year. I read at least one book a week. It may not be War and Peace, but it beats sitting in front of the TV, or sitting on the train staring into space.

Debra

PS To really play into the stereotype, I think ebooks are terrific for reading and knitting together. Leaves your hands free.

lilac_jive
01-11-2009, 07:34 PM
I heard that a large portion of the population doesn't even read one book a year. I read at least one book a week. It may not be War and Peace, but it beats sitting in front of the TV, or sitting on the train staring into space.

Debra

PS To really play into the stereotype, I think ebooks are terrific for reading and knitting together. Leaves your hands free.

I do not have nearly enough coordination for that!

justlizz
01-11-2009, 08:52 PM
I also like romance books and one set that comes under romance but not really romance is Fern Micheals sisterhood well worth reading but read them in the right order it makes it better
I am trying to fill up my reader with books for my holidays in May going to France for 6 weeks and if the weather is not to good I will get through a lot of books so I have got my old boxes of books out and there are quite a few and rereading them some go back to 1990 which is quite good as I seem to have forgotten them and it is keeping me away from reader I have downloaded 44 so far but I am not going to start them untill may I hope
lizz

kazbates
01-12-2009, 04:33 PM

Debra

As a fellow knitter as well as romance reader (and someone who is originally from the Chicago area), do you use something to prop up your ebook for reading? My Sony 700 would be great to use while knitting because of the ability to increase the font size!
Kaz

Tattncat
01-14-2009, 04:21 PM
I started with Seventeenth Summer by Daly (I think?) back in 1960 and haven't quit. Mostly, I read historicals (Regencies are great), Paranormals, contemporaries, and romance series.
Favorites:
Stephenie Meyers - Twilight Series
Lora Leighs - Breed series all of them!
Sherrilyn Kenyon's - Dark Hunter etc. series
Christine Feehans - Dark Series
Christine Feehans - 7 sisters series
Christine Feehans - Game Series
All of the Nora Roberts series books
Lisa Kleypas,
Judith McNaught
Stephanie Laurens
Lynn Kurland
Madeline Baker
Amanda Quick
Amanda Ashley
Jude Deveraux
Jayne Ann Krentz
Diana Palmer
Kathleen Eagle
Elizabeth Lowell
and on it goes.

My goal is to replace all my favorite books in digital format. Saves lots of room!

blak4dr
01-18-2009, 03:19 AM
I have that problem all of the time. People are like, what is that? And I have to switch to a classic or something. Oh yes, I'm reading "Crime and Punishment..." Right.

I used to do that and now I don't even bother. I bravely admit to the people who ask that I read romance novels, and to hell with what they think. Not my problem :bookworm:

The only think is when I read in bed and will want to be intimate with my wife, she always says teasingly "you've been reading smut again !!!". :D

:iloveyou: WIFIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Suzanne Enoch is a must have IMO. Try Eloisa James as well.

lilac_jive
01-18-2009, 10:37 AM
I used to do that and now I don't even bother. I bravely admit to the people who ask that I read romance novels, and to hell with what they think. Not my problem :bookworm:

The only think is when I read in bed and will want to be intimate with my wife, she always says teasingly "you've been reading smut again !!!". :D

:iloveyou: WIFIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Suzanne Enoch is a must have IMO. Try Eloisa James as well.

I've been frustrated with The Desperate Duchesses by James. I can't get into them at all. But then again, I'm like three books behind so maybe it gets better.

blak4dr
01-19-2009, 01:18 AM
I had the same problem at first. And then I tried one more time... and find myself wanting to know more about the characters that have not been developed yet. The way she mixes everybody's story is unnerving :knife:

justlizz
01-19-2009, 07:14 AM
Have any of you read any Emma Blair books I have been searching for ebooks by him but cant seem to find any
lizz

Sydney's Mom
01-25-2009, 03:07 PM
As a fellow knitter as well as romance reader (and someone who is originally from the Chicago area), do you use something to prop up your ebook for reading? My Sony 700 would be great to use while knitting because of the ability to increase the font size!
Kaz

Kaz,

I usually sit with my legs bent and my feet on the coffee table, and then I rest the kindle on my thighs. Reading, watching TV and knitting work well, but I haven't found a way to add computer blogs to that. Although sitting around knitting, or watching TV, or reading crap, is kind of a waste of time, if I do all of them together it must be okay. Ya, that's the ticket.

lilac_jive
01-25-2009, 03:14 PM
Kaz,

I usually sit with my legs bent and my feet on the coffee table, and then I rest the kindle on my thighs. Reading, watching TV and knitting work well, but I haven't found a way to add computer blogs to that. Although sitting around knitting, or watching TV, or reading crap, is kind of a waste of time, if I do all of them together it must be okay. Ya, that's the ticket.

Multitasking makes anything productive :)

Lilly
01-25-2009, 03:25 PM
Another romance reader checking in! That's why I love my Sony, it change my life!:D I use to go to my local Walmart every month to buy the 8 Harlequin Presents. Made sure I go to the self checking lines because the cashiers used to look at me funny or maybe it was me feeling uncomfortable!:o Since buying my Sony in December 2007, every 1st of the month, I buy the books sitting in front of mine computer. Now I have both the PRS-505 and Kindle, they are fill with romance novels and I don't have boxes of romance novel cram into my closets!

lilac_jive
01-25-2009, 04:48 PM
Another romance reader checking in! That's why I love my Sony, it change my life!:D I use to go to my local Walmart every month to buy the 8 Harlequin Presents. Made sure I go to the self checking lines because the cashiers used to look at me funny or maybe it was me feeling uncomfortable!:o Since buying my Sony in December 2007, every 1st of the month, I buy the books sitting in front of mine computer. Now I have both the PRS-505 and Kindle, they are fill with romance novels and I don't have boxes of romance novel cram into my closets!

Do you buy the bundles?

I'm going to make a Romance group. Gimme a sec to get it together. We can use it for recommendations, deals, what we're reading, whatever we gosh darn please.

lilac_jive
01-25-2009, 04:52 PM
Voila!

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/group.php?groupid=10

Lilly
01-25-2009, 08:25 PM
Do you buy the bundles?

I'm going to make a Romance group. Gimme a sec to get it together. We can use it for recommendations, deals, what we're reading, whatever we gosh darn please.

I do buy the bundles. It's great, that the 8 books cost $16.50 in a bundle for Kindle but would cost $27.20 if bought separately at the price of $3.40.

da_jane
01-25-2009, 08:48 PM
Lilac-jive - I am not a fan of the James books. They are kind of a mess, plot wise for me. She's a good writer but not a good plotter, imo, so her books run this way and that and she ends up relying on contrivances to pull the threads together.

lilac_jive
01-25-2009, 09:09 PM
Lilac-jive - I am not a fan of the James books. They are kind of a mess, plot wise for me. She's a good writer but not a good plotter, imo, so her books run this way and that and she ends up relying on contrivances to pull the threads together.

I agree, and I also don't find her characters very likable. I'm still deciding whether to go on with the series. My heart just isn't in it.

da_jane
01-25-2009, 09:21 PM
Have you read Carolyn Jewel? I just finished two of her historicals this weekend and her newest release, Scandal, is due out in two weeks.

lilac_jive
01-25-2009, 09:38 PM
Have you read Carolyn Jewel? I just finished two of her historicals this weekend and her newest release, Scandal, is due out in two weeks.

I've never heard of her. I see a paranormal by her on the ebookstore, but that's it.

I always love good recommendations :) I mostly troll the comments on your site to find new authors :p

da_jane
01-25-2009, 10:29 PM
I've tried Jewel's paranormals and haven't made it anywhere with them. None of her historicals are in ebook format. Maybe by June/July since Dorchester is now going e (finally!). But Scandal will be in eform but not available until February 3.

If you like angsty historicals, you'll like this one.

lilac_jive
01-25-2009, 10:32 PM
I've tried Jewel's paranormals and haven't made it anywhere with them. None of her historicals are in ebook format. Maybe by June/July since Dorchester is now going e (finally!). But Scandal will be in eform but not available until February 3.

If you like angsty historicals, you'll like this one.

Oooh excellent. I will have to check it out.

Sydney's Mom
01-30-2009, 12:51 PM
I'm currently reading book 7 of the Southern Vampire series (Charlaine Harris). I had no interest in reading about vampires, until I started watching True Blood. Sooky and Bill were so romantic! The books are actually less romantic, and I don't think I would find them compelling if I hadn't watched the series.

Don't forget to download the Harlequin books. I downloaded in pdf and converted with Mobi Creator Pro.

Everyone curl up in front of a fireplace with a good romance this weekend. It is 13 degrees in Chicago! Debra

RWJ
01-30-2009, 11:00 PM
The Harlequin Presents are my ultimate brain-vacation guilty pleasure. And I'm not ashamed to admit it, in a totally anonymous forum :)

Tattncat
01-31-2009, 12:03 AM
Voila!

Just joined.

Tattncat
01-31-2009, 12:05 AM
I'm currently reading book 7 of the Southern Vampire series (Charlaine Harris). I had no interest in reading about vampires, until I started watching True Blood. Sooky and Bill were so romantic! The books are actually less romantic, and I don't think I would find them compelling if I hadn't watched the series.

Don't forget to download the Harlequin books. I downloaded in pdf and converted with Mobi Creator Pro.

Everyone curl up in front of a fireplace with a good romance this weekend. It is 13 degrees in Chicago! DebraTry sherrilyn Kenyons "Dark Hunter Series" or Christine Feehan's "Dark Series" There is also a great series out by J R Ward. Hers are long buy awesome.

Lilly
01-31-2009, 11:08 AM
The Harlequin Presents are my ultimate brain-vacation guilty pleasure. And I'm not ashamed to admit it, in a totally anonymous forum :)

Mine too; I buy all 12 each month!:D Thank goodness for bundles!:thumbsup:

Margrete
01-31-2009, 07:29 PM
another romance reader. I don't read many harlequins, but I love paranormal romance books, urban fantasy/romance, historicals and some others.

Some of my favorite authors are Sherrilyn Kenyon, Christine Feehan, Katie McAlister, Karen Marie Moning, Julia Quinn, Mary Balogh, Susanne Enoch,

Lilly
02-01-2009, 05:01 PM
The One-Click Buy February 2009 Harlequin Presents and One-Click Buy February 2009 Silhouette Desires are wrong in the ebooks stores. The files are listed Feb 2009 but they are the February 2008 files. It's wrong on Books on Board, Cyberead, Mobipocket Bookstore, and wrong on Amazon (Silhouette is available). At 1st, I thought it was just the image that was incorrect but upon getting a sample, the file match the image from Feb 2008. The only site that has them correct is Sony, so I'm thinking it's a Mobi problem!

phenomshel
02-01-2009, 09:48 PM
I've only recently become a reader of romances and chick-lit. What sold me are those lovely cross-over books that I call "mysterious romances" or "romantic mysteries". I'm not too keen on the Harlequin, Silhouette, Avalon and such romances, though I'll admit to reading a couple of those as well. I'm also new to what my book swappers call "PUF" -- paranormal & urban fiction. These aren't always romances, though many of them definitely are.

By the way, Romance Writers of America has a list of all the new releases every month. Check it out at http://www.rwanational.org/cs/authors_and_books/current_releases

I like this type too. I haven't been a regular Harlequin reader since Essie Summers stopped writing (I've just dated myself bigtime here), but I really do like the romantic-suspense-thrill and paranormal things.
I loved the Yasmine Galenorn series about Emerald O'Brien. Her other series about the 3 sisters is much more popular, but I liked these better.

lilac_jive
02-01-2009, 09:59 PM
Sony just added 200+ Romance titles today :) Weeee!

Marian0121
02-08-2009, 04:15 PM
I am new to MobileRead and do read romance (among other things) especially since I got my Sony 505.

lilac_jive
02-08-2009, 04:27 PM
Welcome to the forum! Check out our Romance group here:

Idoine
02-09-2009, 10:59 PM
Another one, too ! Did join the group :D
I read Harlequin when I was young (in french), and spent lots of money in it, though I tried to buy unsold ones if possible ! :p
I have continued with Kathleen Woodiwiss, Julia Quinn, Karen Robards, Eloisa James, Amanda Quick, well many ones, in french, in a collection named "Romance and Passion".
Now I read in English. Some are on paperback (Stephanie Laurens' Bar Cynster are one of my prefered, with Julia Quinn's Bridgerton series)
Most recent ones are ebooks, now that I have my Cybook (Anne Gracie Perfect series is the last I read)

lilac_jive
02-09-2009, 11:02 PM
Another one, too ! Did join the group :D
I read Harlequin when I was young (in french), and spent lots of money in it, though I tried to buy unsold ones if possible ! :p
I have continued with Kathleen Woodiwiss, Julia Quinn, Karen Robards, Eloisa James, Amanda Quick, well many ones, in french, in a collection named "Romance and Passion".
Now I read in English. Some are on paperback (Stephanie Laurens' Bar Cynster are one of my prefered, with Julia Quinn's Bridgerton series)
Most recent ones are ebooks, now that I have my Cybook (Anne Gracie Perfect series is the last I read)

I'm trying to get my mom to read Romancing Mr Bridgerton right now :)

sassanik
02-13-2009, 02:27 AM
Yes I admit it I read romance books. My favorite are the ones that cross over into science fiction/fantasy.

Amy

Sydney's Mom
02-17-2009, 03:49 PM
Free Harlequin On Line books!

Just found the page with the Harlequin online freebies. You can copy, paste, and then use book designer to format and convert. They look great on my kindle! Over 20 full length books available. Debra

Terisa de morgan
06-17-2009, 03:29 AM
Hi,

I'm new here and I'm a romance reader too.

lilac_jive
06-17-2009, 09:47 AM
Hi,

I'm new here and I'm a romance reader too.

Welcome to the forum! What romance do you like to read?

Terisa de morgan
06-19-2009, 04:13 AM
Well,

in my case paranormal and suspense mainly. I've read a lot of historical (Spanish publisher like it a lot grrrr ), but now I read in English, and I can choose what I like.

Ciao

Terisa de Morgan

dreams
06-19-2009, 04:28 AM
I found this link to the 17 or so freebies..

http://www.eharlequin.com/store.html?cid=1317

available in...

Or... Mobipocket, epub, eReader, and MS reader

Main ebook site...
http://www.eharlequin.com/store.html

doreenjoy
06-19-2009, 05:53 PM
I wish it was easier to get freebie e-book romance novels. I go to a lot of conferences and authors are always handing out copies of their books. I have over 100 pbook romances I haven't read, and that's after doing a major purge! Too bad they don't hand out copies of their books in eformat.

I know, I know, I'm looking a gift horse in the mouth.

rgeorg
06-19-2009, 06:47 PM
I've just discovered romance novels. Happened upon a Georgette Heyer novel and then started the Charlaine Harris - Sookie Stackhouse series. I feel as though I should be reading something more thoughtful - but I just enjoy them so much! Like eating dessert, but without the calories. A similar type of book that also has elements of mystery/adventure/archeology, is the Elizabeth Peters(author) - Amelia Peabody series (maybe about 12-14 books). The series is set in turn-of-the-century England and Egypt. A British family including the non-conventional Amelia, go to Egypt for archeology and typically get caught up in murder, politics and other mayhem.

kazbates
06-19-2009, 09:23 PM
I wish it was easier to get freebie e-book romance novels. I go to a lot of conferences and authors are always handing out copies of their books. I have over 100 pbook romances I haven't read, and that's after doing a major purge! Too bad they don't hand out copies of their books in eformat.

No you're not!! This is the 21st century, after all. Those people need to get with the new program. :p

kelly1010
06-19-2009, 09:55 PM
I am a HUGE Romance Reader....I've downloaded all the free harlequin books. I have yet to read them though. Luckily all the libraries I belong to pretty big romance ebook collections. I read mostly contemporary romance...not to into paranormal or historical. If anyone has any reccomendations, feel free to share!

Right now, my favorite book to reccomend is Vision In White by Nora Roberts.

ilovejedd
06-19-2009, 10:30 PM
Hmm, I think I've read almost all In Death novels under the pseudonym J.D. Robb but I've never actually read a Nora Roberts book. How different are those?

Oh, nice, BoB has Vision in White on sale for $9.99. Now the only question is if I should use my Reward Dollars or Gift Certificate to purchase... :p

kazbates
06-19-2009, 10:43 PM
Hmm, I think I've read almost all In Death novels under the pseudonym J.D. Robb but I've never actually read a Nora Roberts book. How different are those?

Oh, nice, BoB has Vision in White on sale for $9.99. Now the only question is if I should use my Reward Dollars or Gift Certificate to purchase... :p

Be aware that it is the first in a trilogy. Nora Roberts does that a lot and I've enjoyed all of them. She has a few different trilogies that have a bit of a paranormal bent to them (In the Garden trilogy is one of them), which are released in paperback. She also has books that are more like a romance/mystery/mainstream and usually come out in hardbound books first. I think Angels Fall is her latest. Of course, all of them are available in digital formats but that was the best way I could describe the differences. She is a very prolific writer and her books are always a pleasant read.

ilovejedd
06-19-2009, 10:47 PM
Lol, if I can follow In Death, a trilogy shouldn't be that hard to collect. Thanks for the mini-review. Maybe I'll try reading some of her contemporaries. :p

It's a really good thing I was able to take part in the BoB promo. There's so many books I want to buy. The Legend of Drizzt books take priority, though, (wee! they're finally available in ebook) so I have less to spend on romance novels. I wish I'd gotten two $60 gift certificates instead of one $60 and one $30...

FizzyWater
06-20-2009, 12:11 AM
If you like J.D. Robb and want to experiment with Nora Roberts, you might want to start with her "romantic suspense" - like Birthright, The Reef, Blue Smoke, Tribute. They're set in the current day, rather than the future. And the books are "standalone", rather than series driven like the "in Death" series. But the "flavor" is the same, with probably more romance in them.

If you like her style, then you might want to try her more mainstream romances, many of which were released in trilogies: the Chesapeake Bay trilogy, the Gallaghers trilogy, the Concannons trilogy. The Bride Quartet series - including Vision in White fits in this category of her work.

Then, if you decide you still enjoy her books, you could start exploring the re-release titles you can find of her early category (i.e., Harlequin/Silhouette) stories.

She's also written some paranormal-type romances (the Key trilogy, a vampire trilogy), and one labeled "horror" by some sites (Sign of Seven trilogy).

She's one of my favorite authors, although I'd be the first to admit there are some books of hers I just didn't care for, but overall, I've found her books consistently enjoyable.

doreenjoy
06-20-2009, 04:11 AM
I am a HUGE Romance Reader....I've downloaded all the free harlequin books. I have yet to read them though. Luckily all the libraries I belong to pretty big romance ebook collections. I read mostly contemporary romance...not to into paranormal or historical. If anyone has any reccomendations, feel free to share!

Kelly, does the San Francisco Public Library have a huge collection of Romance epubs? I'm still trying to figure out how to use the search feature.

lilac_jive
06-20-2009, 09:22 AM

Publishers are starting to give out eARCs of their books now. Jane at Dear Author just got a ebook copy of "What Happens in London" by Julia Quinn, and holy crap I am jealous.

kelly1010
06-24-2009, 01:59 AM

I didn't think Vision in White was paranormal at all....just pure romance! This was actually my first book of hers. And DEFINITELY not my last! I have several more of her books in p-back form (I'm kind of a book hoarder!)

As for what to use, if this book has rewards dollars you'd want to use your gift certificate.

Kelly, does the San Francisco Public Library have a huge collection of Romance epubs? I'm still trying to figure out how to use the search feature.

If you go to http://sfpl.lib.overdrive.com/11E24C15-4899-469C-97F4-842437F6F791/10/486/en/Default.htm and scroll down, on the left hand side it will say "Ebook Fiction" and it groups them by genre, one of which is Romance. I actually did a search of ALL fiction, since I don't necessarily like only romance. I do read some general fiction as well as mysteries. Hope that helps.

hnoto
06-24-2009, 03:20 AM
Hi readers! I'm a new poster, but not a new reader. :) I have a big collection of romance in pb, and am working my way to replacing them in eb. I agree w/Doreen that I'd love to see more freebies from the big authors --not just the Harlequin ones. I would LOVE to get my hands on that Julia London eARC. We should find out what mailing list we need to get on to get a shot at those!

I love all kinds of romance: paranormal, historical, regency, contemporary. Not real big on westerns, but it all depends on the author. I could list my favorites, but that would take too long as I have so many. :)

Trekkiemelissa
06-24-2009, 04:57 AM
When it comes to romance books, I'll read Danielle steel and Nora Roberts. :)

Maggie May
06-24-2009, 06:17 AM
When it comes to romance books, I'll read Danielle steel and Nora Roberts. :)

Yeah Nora Roberts is one of my favourite writers.
Have you read any Tami Hoag, or Sandra Brown.
Both very good also.

Slan
Mag.

Lilly
06-24-2009, 07:30 AM
Yeah Nora Roberts is one of my favourite writers.
Have you read any Tami Hoag, or Sandra Brown.
Both very good also.

Slan
Mag.

I've never read a Nora Roberts book before but I've seen her mentioned quite a lot so I might read one of her books. There are 53 Roberts ebooks in the New York library and 17 ebooks in the Brooklyn library. Do you or anyone else have a recommendation of which of her books should I start with? I use to read Tami Hoag and Sandra Brown when they use to write for Harlequin so I might check out some of their books also; both libraries carry some of their ebooks. Having library option is great!:D

Trekkiemelissa
06-24-2009, 08:38 AM
I have heard of Sandra Brown, but never read any of her work. I have a couple books of Nora Roberts that is in paper copy, but ebooks are not available for those titles yet. They not available for kindle at least. I have not seen them on other ebook formats so far though as far as I can tell.

The whole stars series and captured &entranced are the books I am looking for. One I bought and the second one, someone gave it to me. I so much love the ebooks so much better now that I can read it on my kindle which makes the text bigger, plus it saves room in this house as we don't have much room here for books.

jes1
06-24-2009, 12:24 PM
I've never read a Nora Roberts book before but I've seen her mentioned quite a lot so I might read one of her books. There are 53 Roberts ebooks in the New York library and 17 ebooks in the Brooklyn library. Do you or anyone else have a recommendation of which of her books should I start with? I use to read Tami Hoag and Sandra Brown when they use to write for Harlequin so I might check out some of their books also; both libraries carry some of their ebooks. Having library option is great!:D
As an intro to Nora Roberts, I would recommend Montanna Sky . If you like paranormal stories, the Circle Trilogy (Book 1 is Morrigan's Cross) or the Sign of the Seven trilogy (Book 1 is Blood Brothers) are both fun. If you like more futuristic books, the J.D. Robb books are good. So far I have found very few Nora/J.D. books that I did not like.

Maggie May
06-24-2009, 12:49 PM

Hi Lilly and Trekkiemelissa.

I would recommend the following by Nora Roberts.
1. Sea Swept.
2. Rising Tides.
3. Inner Harbour.
4. Chesapeake Blue.........Lilly, these should be read in sequence. Really good story about the Quinn brothers, and their adopted brother Seth.

Sandra Brown titles.
White Hot.
The Alibi.
Play Dirty.

I hope neither of you are disappointed with my choices. Happy reading. Enjoy.

Slan,
Mag.

kelly1010
06-24-2009, 01:28 PM
I recently read my first Nora Roberts book. I read Vision In White and LOVED it. I figured since thats the first in a new series, it might be a good starting point. I am looking forward to reading some of her other books. I didn't seem to find many of her books as ebooks but I do have alot of them as paperback

Lilly
06-24-2009, 01:53 PM
I recently read my first Nora Roberts book. I read Vision In White and LOVED it. I figured since thats the first in a new series, it might be a good starting point. I am looking forward to reading some of her other books. I didn't seem to find many of her books as ebooks but I do have alot of them as paperback

Thank you for the recommendation. There's a lot of her books in ebook form at the NYPL library, 53 to be exact. I know a lot of people are paying $100 a year for membership but if you know anyone that lives in New York City, they can get it for you for free, which is how I got my card.

Lilly
06-24-2009, 01:55 PM

1. Sea Swept.
2. Rising Tides.
3. Inner Harbour.
4. Chesapeake Blue.........Lilly, these should be read in sequence. Really good story about the Quinn brothers, and their adopted brother Seth.

Sandra Brown titles.
White Hot.
The Alibi.
Play Dirty.

Slan,
Mag.

Thank you for the recommendations, I plan to check her out both Roberts and Brown next week because on vacation for a week and don't plan to leave town.:D

Lilly
06-24-2009, 01:55 PM
As an intro to Nora Roberts, I would recommend Montanna Sky . If you like paranormal stories, the Circle Trilogy (Book 1 is Morrigan's Cross) or the Sign of the Seven trilogy (Book 1 is Blood Brothers) are both fun. If you like more futuristic books, the J.D. Robb books are good. So far I have found very few Nora/J.D. books that I did not like.

I do like paranormal stories. Thanks!:thumbsup:

sunsetsylvia
06-24-2009, 04:35 PM
Hi everybody!
Am an avid romance reader too, through all genres, but having a paranormal phase lately.

I discovered the IN DEATH books last winter and am totally hooked on all things Eve and Roarke. Soon I'm going to start the 9th.
As for "real" Nora Roberts books I enjoyed the THREE SISTERS ISLAND trilogy a lot and second the QUINN BROTHERS recommendation wholeheartedly. Great books!

But my all time favourite new series must be Nalini Singh's Psy/Changeling books. She does a tremendous work in world-building as well as in dephts characterisation. And it's superhot and funny too. :D

kazbates
06-24-2009, 08:41 PM
For those of you who like paranormal romance, Christina Dodd has a great series about Shape Shifters called the Darkness Chosen series. There are 4 books to the series. Gena Showalter also has some good paranormal in various forms but I especially like the Lords of the Underworld series. The first 4 have are already out but the series is still on going so I know more are coming. :)

hnoto
06-24-2009, 09:50 PM
Love Showalter and Dodd both! Also must recommend Kenyon (I didn't read back to see if anyone else mentioned her) and Feehan if you are into paranormal. (I did get a bit tired of Feehan's "Dark" series, but her "Game" series is still interesting.)

Trekkiemelissa
06-25-2009, 12:03 AM

1. Sea Swept.
2. Rising Tides.
3. Inner Harbour.

Sandra Brown titles.
White Hot.
The Alibi.
Play Dirty.

Slan,
Mag.

I have spelllbound on Nora Roberts on my kindle. Right now, I have 3 series of books that I want to concentrate on. Nora Roberts, Danielle Steel and Star Trek. The latest books by Nora Roberts and Danielle Steel, I waiting a bit to see if they go down in price. I think Nora has already gone down in price.

doreenjoy
06-25-2009, 12:18 AM
If you go to http://sfpl.lib.overdrive.com/11E24C15-4899-469C-97F4-842437F6F791/10/486/en/Default.htm and scroll down, on the left hand side it will say "Ebook Fiction" and it groups them by genre, one of which is Romance. I actually did a search of ALL fiction, since I don't necessarily like only romance. I do read some general fiction as well as mysteries. Hope that helps.

Darn, I get "We’re sorry, but we are unable to display the page requested." when I click on Romance.

hnoto
06-25-2009, 03:27 AM
Try again, Doreen...it just worked for me. :)

Terisa de morgan
06-25-2009, 03:38 AM
Hi everybody!
Am an avid romance reader too, through all genres, but having a paranormal phase lately.

Welcome, Sylvia. Same for me, too (paranormal phase).

I discovered the IN DEATH books last winter and am totally hooked on all things Eve and Roarke. Soon I'm going to start the 9th.

:o I'm waiting for "Promises in death" (the last one in pb, in summer). I buy these ones in paper.

But my all time favourite new series must be Nalini Singh's Psy/Changeling books. She does a tremendous work in world-building as well as in dephts characterisation. And it's superhot and funny too. :D

Me too. I love it, have you tried her Guild Hunter series? I've liked it a lot too.

kelly1010
06-25-2009, 04:10 AM
I have spelllbound on Nora Roberts on my kindle. Right now, I have 3 series of books that I want to concentrate on. Nora Roberts, Danielle Steel and Star Trek. The latest books by Nora Roberts and Danielle Steel, I waiting a bit to see if they go down in price. I think Nora has already gone down in price.

I am a huge fan of Danielle Steel. I have most of her books in p-book form. Alot of them are unread. *sigh*. I have her two newest books One Step At A Time (came out earlier this year) and Matters of the Heart on my 505. I just found Matters of the Heart for $9.99. So I jumped on that offer! She has another book coming out October 27th called Southern Lights. Nora's second book in the Wedding Quartet series comes out that day. Hopefully by then, I will have read more of Nora's books.

rgeorg
06-25-2009, 07:59 AM
Thanks to everyone for all the great recommendations!

Trekkiemelissa
06-25-2009, 12:15 PM
I am a huge fan of Danielle Steel. I have most of her books in p-book form. Alot of them are unread. *sigh*. I have her two newest books One Step At A Time (came out earlier this year) and Matters of the Heart on my 505. I just found Matters of the Heart for $9.99. So I jumped on that offer! She has another book coming out October 27th called Southern Lights. Nora's second book in the Wedding Quartet series comes out that day. Hopefully by then, I will have read more of Nora's books.

I have 6 Danielle Steel on my kindle right now. I am slowly buying the ones I had on paperback and hardback. I am waiting a bit on the newer books to see if it goes down a bit.

sunsetsylvia
06-26-2009, 07:55 AM
I already posted about it on a different thread here, but why not twice?

Lara Adrian is giving away KISS OF MIDNIGHT, the first of her Midnight Breed series, as a free download in the formats PDF, Sony Reader, Scribd and for Kindle.

http://www.randomhouse.com/bantamdell/laraadrian/

And I know it's open domain, but for some classic romance fix (Austen, Heyer, Gaskell, etc.) I go to

http://girlebooks.com/

It a beautiful site from a dedicated editrix.

hnoto
06-26-2009, 06:37 PM
Sylvia,
Thanks for the links! The Adrian book looks great. I hadn't seen the girliebooks site before either. I wish I could find more Heyer books in open domain. I guess she is still being printed. :)

sunsetsylvia
06-28-2009, 08:08 PM
Sylvia,
I wish I could find more Heyer books in open domain.

Too true!
In the meantime you can go nuts over all the Scarlet Pimpernel novels. I myself didn't know for a long time that there were more than one. Great, GREAT reads! :)

lovestoreadalot
06-28-2009, 11:29 PM

ilovejedd
06-29-2009, 12:08 AM
Historical romance is my favorite.
I didn't notice the name listed, but how about Judith McNaught? I love her historical romances. Too bad none of them are available in ebook format (legally, at least).

lovestoreadalot
06-29-2009, 01:13 AM

new
06-29-2009, 02:36 AM
Are there any good "classic" romance novels that are expired copyrights? You know free books?

dreams
06-29-2009, 02:43 AM
Are there any good "classic" romance novels that are expired copyrights? You know free books?

MR has a whole section of Romance...
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/ebooks.php?s=&sort=dateline&order=desc&page=1&ltr=&f=&genreid=romance

Also Feedbooks has a Romance section...
http://www.feedbooks.com/books/asc?lang=en&type=Romance

kazbates
06-29-2009, 10:42 AM
I didn't notice the name listed, but how about Judith McNaught? I love her historical romances. Too bad none of them are available in ebook format (legally, at least).

Her novel Perfect was just that, perfect! ;)

ilovejedd
06-29-2009, 01:41 PM
Her novel Perfect was just that, perfect! ;)
I don't really like her contemporaries all that much (albeit, they are still better than most I read). I started reading her books in high school and all four of us roommates each had a favorite historical romance of hers - Almost Heaven, Something Wonderful, Until You, and Whitney, My Love.

new
06-29-2009, 07:06 PM
MR has a whole section of Romance...
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/ebooks.php?s=&sort=dateline&order=desc&page=1&ltr=&f=&genreid=romance

Also Feedbooks has a Romance section...
http://www.feedbooks.com/books/asc?lang=en&type=Romance

Thanks for that info!

Any personal favorites?

hnoto
06-29-2009, 11:44 PM
In looking at Feedbooks, I found these:
If you like the old-fashioned romances (very clean and wholesome), I liked anything by Lucy Maud Montgomery. I remember also reading Beverly of Graustaruk (McCutcheon) from my mother's library as a tween and liked that as well. Alcott, of course, and Reinhart for that mix of mystery and romance. There are lots of classic authors whose names you will recognize.

hnoto
06-29-2009, 11:50 PM
In MR there are fewer authors I recognize. Bronte, of course, and Gene Stratton Porter I know, but not this book. I am probably one of the few who never got through any of the Austen books...I intend to try again someday. :)

Ralph Sir Edward
06-30-2009, 12:14 AM
I am not reader of romances (though my sister is), but I'm suprised that nobody has scanned Emilie Loring's works on MobileRead. She died in 1951, which makes her PD in Canada since 2002 (at least the works she published in her lifetime, there rest were ghost written and still under Canadian copyright)....

sunsetsylvia
06-30-2009, 03:05 PM

Another source with beautifully formated classic romance is http://girlebooks.com/

And since you're asking for some recommendations, my personal favourites are Pride and Prejudice, Persuasion, Northanger Abbey (Jane Austen), North and South (Elisabeth Gaskell), The Scarlet Pimpernel (Baroness Orczy), The Black Moth (Georgette Heyer) to name just a few.
The YA classics Heidi, the Anne of Green Gables series and Little Women are also over there.

Happy reading! :book2:

sunsetsylvia
06-30-2009, 03:09 PM
I am probably one of the few who never got through any of the Austen books...I intend to try again someday. :)

My incentive to start reading Austen was Bridget Jones (movie and book) and I was just sooo curious about that original Mr. Darcy.
And, boy, did it work. Through that avenue I polished up my school english, got into fanfiction and ultimately here. :)

laurichu
04-30-2011, 08:47 PM
I have been reading romances since I was 15 and even though I know many authors my personal favourite one will always be Judith McNaught... Perfect and Paradise are my favourite books :-)

laurichu
04-30-2011, 08:48 PM
I totally agree! :-)