View Full Version : Karma for posting books!

ProDigit
12-18-2008, 12:14 PM
I think users supposed to get some automatic karma when posting a book!

zelda_pinwheel
12-18-2008, 12:20 PM
hm, i see why you would propose that, but i like the more personal karma that is given by a specific person, with a comment (ideally). i think automatic karma sort of defeats the purpose. karma is there to show appreciation, after all, and it seems a bit sad to automate that.

but i encourage you to give karma each time you download a book. ;)

ProDigit
12-18-2008, 07:12 PM
Well,if we get karma to post messages, then we supposed to get even more karma to post books, no?

I prefer personal karma as well.

Kris777
12-18-2008, 07:21 PM
I have another proposal - to use Karma as virtual money to buy eBooks on amazon, mobipocket and other websites (for example 10 karma = $1) :)

Seabound
12-18-2008, 08:12 PM
I would have to agree with ZP. It's the personal part of the karma giving and receiving which makes it a nice forum feature. It's also a good way to "meet" other forum members. Although, while I don't hesitate to give karma to those with still small karmas, I have to admit that I tend to hesitate to give karma to those with enormous karmas, not because I'm being selfish with the karma, but because I (wrongly) feel "embarrassed" to give my puny karma to those with really large ones. It's a teeny weeny drop in the bucket.

pilotbob
12-18-2008, 08:13 PM
I have another proposal - to use Karma as virtual money to buy eBooks on amazon, mobipocket and other websites (for example 10 karma = $1) :)

Where does the money come from?

BOb

zelda_pinwheel
12-18-2008, 08:20 PM
I have to admit that I tend to hesitate to give karma to those with enormous karmas, not because I'm being selfish with the karma, but because I (wrongly) feel "embarrassed" to give my puny karma to those with really large ones. It's a teeny weeny drop in the bucket.
i know a lot of people feel really pleased when a relatively new member gives them karma because they are happy to have been able to help out.

there is nothing to be embarassed about ; we all were new at one time and everybody starts at the beginning ! it's the gesture that is important, not the number.

Seabound
12-18-2008, 08:37 PM
i know a lot of people feel really pleased when a relatively new member gives them karma because they are happy to have been able to help out.

there is nothing to be embarassed about ; we all were new at one time and everybody starts at the beginning ! it's the gesture that is important, not the number.

Oh, well then, it's nice to know that! Thank you!

BTW, I think maybe some new members might not know how to find out who gave them karma and why. I only stumbled upon how to get that information by accident. Otherwise, I would have no clue why my karma was increasing!

zelda_pinwheel
12-18-2008, 09:00 PM
Oh, well then, it's nice to know that! Thank you!
glad to help. :)

BTW, I think maybe some new members might not know how to find out who gave them karma and why. I only stumbled upon how to get that information by accident. Otherwise, I would have no clue why my karma was increasing!
to see who gave you karma and for which posts, click on "User CP" in the blue menu bar, then scroll down to "Latest Reputation Received". the thread title in the first column is a link taking you directly to the specific post you were meritoriously karma-thwacked for. the last column is where you can read the comment left, if any. those are often the best part. ;)

another nifty trick : if you hover on the blue bars under your name (to the left of any post), you can find out your karma fortune. that's my other favorite part of the karma system.

montsnmags
12-18-2008, 09:28 PM
...I have to admit that I tend to hesitate to give karma to those with enormous karmas, not because I'm being selfish with the karma, but because I (wrongly) feel "embarrassed" to give my puny karma to those with really large ones. It's a teeny weeny drop in the bucket.

Pfft. "Wrongly" is right! :) Seabound, it makes no difference to me how many points comes with the karma. It just warms my cockles to have anybody feel inspired to pass some karma my way. It's those little comments that come attached that just...well, it's them that tickle my fancy, and I like my fancy being tickled. Quite often it's the "low point score" karma that tickles it the most, because I get that feeling of "This could be the start of a beautiful friendship". On the flipside, I always try to send karma the way of those self-same people.

For me, inclusiveness is one of the most important tenets of any community. I try to practice what I preach to myself.

glad to help. :)

to see who gave you karma and for which posts, click on "User CP" in the blue menu bar, then scroll down to "Latest Reputation Received". the thread title in the first column is a link taking you directly to the specific post you were meritoriously karma-thwacked for. the last column is where you can read the comment left, if any. those are often the best part. ;)

Precisely! I love those few words. They're like little bursts of sweet candy.

By the way, here is the link to your User CP:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/usercp.php

It's the same for everyone, and I actually use it as my chief bookmark for MobileRead (because it also brings up a list of my subscribed threads that have new posts on them).

Once you're there, have a look down the left side of the page too - there's quite a few more options MobileRead provides too (eg. albums). Impressive, no? That's part of the reason why I love this forum - it's one of the most friendly and user-friendly forums I know of.

Cheers,
Marc

DaleDe
12-18-2008, 09:48 PM

Karma as money only works here. You can use it to get all the MobileRead eBooks you like. If it were worth real money then we would have more guys sitting around giving each other Karma and spoiling it for everyone else.

Dale

DaleDe
12-18-2008, 09:49 PM
I would have to agree with ZP. It's the personal part of the karma giving and receiving which makes it a nice forum feature. It's also a good way to "meet" other forum members. Although, while I don't hesitate to give karma to those with still small karmas, I have to admit that I tend to hesitate to give karma to those with enormous karmas, not because I'm being selfish with the karma, but because I (wrongly) feel "embarrassed" to give my puny karma to those with really large ones. It's a teeny weeny drop in the bucket.

Actually there are those of us that especially appreciate small changes in Karma as it means we helped someone new to the group.

Dale

Seabound
12-18-2008, 09:55 PM
Pfft. "Wrongly" is right! :) Seabound, it makes no difference to me how many points comes with the karma. It just warms my cockles to have anybody feel inspired to pass some karma my way. It's those little comments that come attached that just...well, it's them that tickle my fancy, and I like my fancy being tickled. Quite often it's the "low point score" karma that tickles it the most, because I get that feeling of "This could be the start of a beautiful friendship". On the flipside, I always try to send karma the way of those self-same people.

For me, inclusiveness is one of the most important tenets of any community. I try to practice what I preach to myself.

Oh my gosh! You guys are not only smart, but generous in many ways as well, including in your candidness! And laugh-out-loud funny to boot! Thank you so much for writing that, montsmags! I wasn't really expecting reactions like these!

Um, and I think there's a good chance you guys are crazy as well. In a good way, of course. :)

Precisely! I love those few words. They're like little bursts of sweet candy.

Yes, I love reading those comments, too!

By the way, here is the link to your User CP:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/usercp.php

It's the same for everyone, and I actually use it as my chief bookmark for MobileRead (because it also brings up a list of my subscribed threads that have new posts on them).

See, that's what I mean. Up until now, when you and Zelda mentioned the User CP link, I did not know about it. Up until now, it took me three clicks to get to the same information (Profile->Customize Profile->Your Control Panel)!

Seabound
12-18-2008, 10:33 PM
Actually there are those of us that especially appreciate small changes in Karma as it means we helped someone new to the group.

Dale

Ah, okay, I think I'm beginning to understand why MR veterans would feel this way. I'm glad to know that appreciation of karma (more precisely, the thought behind it and what prompted it) doesn't necessarily wear off with quantity and familiarity. Yeah, I think I'm starting to get it.

Nate the great
12-18-2008, 11:14 PM

Dale

Ditto.

Kris777
12-19-2008, 12:03 AM
Where does the money come from?

BOb

It can be promotion money that Amazon or other companies may spend to make eBooks more popular.

Jellby
12-19-2008, 05:34 AM
Well,if we get karma to post messages

I don't think we do, do we?

Gaurnim
12-19-2008, 06:22 AM
You're right, we don't :
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10713

Posting increases the karma we can give, but not our own karma.

astra
12-19-2008, 10:57 AM
It's the personal part of the karma giving and receiving which makes it a nice forum feature.
It also facilitates karma-whoring on the forum.

Ralph Sir Edward
12-19-2008, 11:45 AM
Seabound, when I wrote the golden coprolite, I didn't do it for the Karma, I did it because I hoped the people here would get a laugh, whether they were registered users or just lurkers. It's good to be in a community where you are wanted, a kind and open community....But if I want it to stay that way, I have to do my part....

Wetdogeared
12-22-2008, 02:08 AM
That phrase should be added to the wiki.:)

desertgrandma
12-22-2008, 02:10 AM

Karma whoring? What is that?

Wetdogeared
12-22-2008, 02:17 AM
Karma whoring? What is that?
Many definitions, but these are pretty tame compared to some:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=karma%20whore

ProDigit
12-22-2008, 02:03 PM
Lol.. I ever used to hear the term 'Manna whore'; didn't know karma-whores exsist too! lol!

You're right, we don't :
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10713

Posting increases the karma we can give, but not our own karma.

(# of days registered/30) + (# of posts/40) + (Giver's present karma/200)

This made me believe the more we post,the higher our karma goes.

Jellby
12-22-2008, 02:21 PM

Yep, but then it says:

"Remember, these are all based on the karma giver's current stats."

desertgrandma
12-22-2008, 02:32 PM
Many definitions, but these are pretty tame compared to some:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=karma%20whore

Okay, thats just sad. Who does that?

And I love your doggie.

Sparrow
12-22-2008, 02:44 PM
Okay, thats just sad. Who does that?

And I love your doggie.

:rofl:

Don't fall for it WDE!

desertgrandma
12-22-2008, 02:46 PM
:rofl:

Don't fall for it WDE!

Okay, I'm totally lost here. Think I'll just go back to bed. :rolleyes:

HarryT
12-25-2008, 09:49 AM

No. The more you post, and the longer you've been registered on the board, the greater is the karma that you can give to another person. It has no effect on your own karma level.

RWood
12-27-2008, 09:00 PM
A point of reference, like Nate I am very grateful for the small increases in karma because it generally means that I have helped a new member or something I have done has pleased a new member. (Not that the larger hits are also not welcome.)

Over the past two years most of the karma that I have received have come from two activities, wiki additions and ebook postings.

I try to follow-up each karma gift (and I do view it as a gift) with a "thank you" PM and many of these have resulted in great discussions. I have gotten to know many people far better through this that I feel I would have otherwise.

For me, many of the acts were very self-serving. I wanted a better understanding of the conversion tools available for creating ebooks so I revised the Wiki pages for ebook formats and conversion tools. (This was in the days before Dale made the wonderful modernizations to the Wiki.) Likewise with the ebooks, they were created for my use and then shared. Plus by posting them at MobileRead I could always fond them again even if I lost them. (This proved to be a great boon for me recently as I was on holiday and wanted a copy of a book I posted a long time ago and I did not have my main computer with me so I downloaded it from MobileRead to an SD card and inserted it to my Reader. Instant ebook.)