View Full Version : tor's jar files

dgillette.rm
12-17-2008, 08:57 PM
Tor is now posting their "sony" format as epub. This is fine, I have a 505 now. The files download as "title".epub.jar. My poor macbook does not seem to know what to do with the file and neither does calibre.

I apologize in advance if this is the wrong forum for this. It seems more a epub type problem than either a sony or a calbre problem and I did not see any other choice that made sense to me.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Nate the great
12-17-2008, 09:13 PM
Which one? I just looked and didn't find any JAR files. Maybe they fixed it.

llasram
12-17-2008, 09:28 PM
Tor is now posting their "sony" format as epub. This is fine, I have a 505 now. The files download as "title".epub.jar. My poor macbook does not seem to know what to do with the file and neither does calibre.

It's weird that it came down with a ".jar" extension, but if the file downloaded properly, try renaming it to have just ".epub" for its extension.

dgillette.rm
12-18-2008, 09:13 PM
As far as which one goes, it was the latest short story "Firstborn" this time, but I have seen this before. I will try llasram's suggestion and report the results.

The suggestion appears to have worked. I have no idea why the file downloads with the extension .jar. Does anyone?

Jellby
12-19-2008, 05:23 AM
The suggestion appears to have worked. I have no idea why the file downloads with the extension .jar. Does anyone?

It might be a misconfiguration in the server side (sending the wrong mimetype or something).

Vulcan
12-28-2008, 04:18 AM
Jar is a file compression format like zip or rar. You need a program to unpack it. I have tried many different programs over the years but there is one I use all the time now......
7 ZIP. It is a free program and they have versions for Windows, Mac and Linux. You can download it here - http://www.7-zip.org/download.html