View Full Version : Forum restructuring: Device sections

Alexander Turcic
12-17-2008, 07:00 AM
In anticipation of new e-book readers emerging in 2009 (*fingers crossed*), we're considering reorganizing the forum structure for the e-book devices. The suggestion is that we move "out" of the "E-Book Devices" section and sort the device sections by vendor:

Sony Devices

* Sony PRS-700
* Sony PRS-505/500 ( merge "Troubleshooting" )
* Accessories
* Content
* Developer Corner

iRex Devices

* iRex Digital Reader
* iRex iLiad ( merge "Troubleshooting" )
* Accessories
* Content
* Software Releases
* Developer Corner

Amazon Devices

* Amazon Kindle ( merge "Troubleshooting" )
* Accessories
* Content
* Developer Corner

Bookeen Devices

* Bookeen Cybook Gen 3 ( merge "Troubleshooting" )
* Accessories
* Content
* Developer Corner

Other Devices

* Apple iPhone
* HanLin eBook
* BeBook ereader
* eREAD STAReBOOK
* Fictionwise eBookwise
* Polymer Vision Readius
* Legacy Devices
* Others

Before we do so, I would like get as much feedback as possible. Thank you.

TadW
12-17-2008, 07:04 AM
Great plan. But does it make sense to give each device its own "Accessories" section? Wouldn't a general e-book device accessories section work, too (reasoning: often accessories for one device work also for another)?

mjhudston
12-17-2008, 07:04 AM
In participation of new e-book readers emerging in 2009 (*fingers crossed*), we're considering reorganizing the forum structure for the e-book devices. The suggestion is that we move "out" of the "E-Book Devices" section and sort the device sections by vendor:

Not to many new ones. Ive only just got my Sony PRC505. However as long as the relevant threads remain easy to find, and the structure is fairly flat I dont see an issue with this at all.

john07961
12-17-2008, 08:18 AM
Seems like a good idea to me

zelda_pinwheel
12-17-2008, 08:44 AM
that looks good to me, alex. the only suggestion i have is to give the ebookwise a top-level forum of its own, rather than putting it in the "other devices" forum ; it gets a good bit of activity and people are still buying eb1150 regularly and coming here with lots of questions. a developper corner for the eb1150 might be a good idea as well as nick, ashkultz, et al are quite actively working on new tools and fonctionnalities. i don't think it needs a separate "accessories" forum however an accessories prefix would be a good idea as the question of "where to buy the charger outside the US" comes up regularly ! and there is also the question of where to find smartmedia cards.

David Munch
12-17-2008, 08:45 AM
Great idea! Although, I would add 'PDA' to the list of 'Other devices'. Also, make sure that the different models from each vendor, is highlighted in bold or something similar, so that noobs like me, wont have a trouble finding the right forum.. :)

JSWolf
12-17-2008, 08:52 AM
Can we seperate out the 505 from the 500 please in the Sony forum? The 505 does more then the 500 and not discussion of the 505 is appropriate to the 500.

Nate the great
12-17-2008, 08:56 AM
Shouldn't the Hanlin/Bebook/EZReader/Walkbook be separate forum section?

And I concur with Zelda. I think the ebookwise has enough activity to stand on it's own.

I'd also like to suggest one section under "Other Devices" for WinCE, PocketPC, WindowsMobile, etc. I think there might be enough activity to justify it. "Windows Handhelds" might be a good name.

EDIT: David just beat me to it. And his suggested name is better, too.

Krystian Galaj
12-17-2008, 08:58 AM
In participation of new e-book readers emerging in 2009 (*fingers crossed*)

It seems to me that word "anticipation" would look better in there - or did you mean "participation", and I just don't understand the expression?

Alexander Turcic
12-17-2008, 08:59 AM
Can we seperate out the 505 from the 500 please in the Sony forum?

It would be rather difficult. Someone would have to go through the forum and sort the related threads out. Given that the 505 replaced the 500 more than one year ago I am not sure if that work would be better spent elsewhere.

JSWolf
12-17-2008, 09:02 AM
It would be rather difficult. Someone would have to go through the forum and sort the related threads out. Given that the 505 replaced the 500 more than one year ago I am not sure if that work would be better spent elsewhere.
I don't think it would be that much work to sort it all out. And it would eventually make things a lot more appropriate in the end.

Alexander Turcic
12-17-2008, 09:10 AM
It seems to me that word "anticipation" would look better in there...

That's right. Thank you. :o

In general, I agree. However, we must be careful to keep the number of forum sections in check, or the sheer amount of sections could intimidate our members. We do not want to add forum sections merely based on "what's out there"; rather, it should be based on where the user interest lies and where most discussions are being held.

In particular in regard to OEM devices, which are more or less identical, we should try to keep the number down.

And I concur with Zelda. I think the ebookwise has enough activity to stand on it's own.

When you mean "stand on its own", I assume you mean having its own parent section. This doesn't make sense to me. eBookwise does already have its own section. Adding it to the parent would imply that there are more eBookwise devices out there, now and in the future. I think that would be inappropriate given that its an abandoned product.

Nate the great
12-17-2008, 09:56 AM

In general, I agree. However, we must be careful to keep the number of forum sections in check, or the sheer amount of sections could intimidate our members. We do not want to add forum sections merely based on "what's out there"; rather, it should be based on where the user interest lies and where most discussions are being held.

In particular in regard to OEM devices, which are more or less identical, we should try to keep the number down.

I was suggesting that the V3 and its clones be pulled out of Other Devices and share one forum, not each clone have its own forum. I was thinking that 2 of its sub-forums would be Troubleshooting and Firmware.

And even if you don't move the V3 forum, you should merge the Bebook forum into it. It is a V3 clone after all.

wallcraft
12-17-2008, 11:11 AM
I was suggesting that the V3 and its clones be pulled out of Other Devices and share one forum, not each clone have its own forum. There is no doubt that Jinkie will release new devices next year. We already know about the EZ Reader Plus and Pro (V3-like with WiFi and/or touchscreen), and presumably the V9 will finally see the light of day.

So a Jinkie Devices forum makes sense eventually. However, I think it would currently only include Hankin V3 since it isn't clear to me that BeBook should be a separate forum. Presumably it is separate based on volume of threads, but I can't imagine many of us wanting to read just one of BeBook and Hanlin V3.

wayspooled
12-17-2008, 12:48 PM
Don't forget to reserve a place for the Plastic Logic reader that's coming in 2009. Pretty sure it's going to be a big thing.

http://www.plasticlogic.com/product.html

Gudy
12-17-2008, 03:27 PM
And even if you don't move the V3 forum, you should merge the Bebook forum into it. It is a V3 clone after all.

Seconded. It may very well be the currently most popular of all the rebranded Hanlin V3's, but it is, in essence as well as in the details, nothing but a rebranded V3.

JSWolf
12-17-2008, 04:23 PM
I agree that all the V3 and clones should have be merged into one forum.

Alexander Turcic
12-17-2008, 04:36 PM
Alright. How would we name the OEM section? Who is the original producer? Is it Nemoptics/PVI?

Nate the great
12-17-2008, 04:44 PM
Alright. How would we name the OEM section? Who is the original producer? Is it Nemoptics/PVI?

The OEM of the V3/Walkbook/EZReader/Bebook is Jinke.

nrapallo
12-17-2008, 05:05 PM
that looks good to me, alex. the only suggestion i have is to give the ebookwise a top-level forum of its own, rather than putting it in the "other devices" forum ; it gets a good bit of activity and people are still buying eb1150 regularly and coming here with lots of questions. a developper corner for the eb1150 might be a good idea as well as nick, ashkultz, et al are quite actively working on new tools and fonctionnalities. i don't think it needs a separate "accessories" forum however an accessories prefix would be a good idea as the question of "where to buy the charger outside the US" comes up regularly ! and there is also the question of where to find smartmedia cards.

I'm with her 100%! Those are the points that ran through my head when I heard of your "restructuring". We have great ongoing .imp ebook generation, developers are continually coming out with new tools with .imp support (our own Dev Hub has a main section for the ebookwise devices) and users are still agonizing whether to buy an e-ink device or "get their feet wet" with a lower cost-effective (but not inferior) solution.

Reading ebooks is the goal here and should not be driven by the technology, but rather augmented by it. Just ask all those original Rocket eBook users if they really want/wanted to change their device. I would surmise the answer would be "not if I don't have too".

When you mean "stand on its own", I assume you mean having its own parent section. This doesn't make sense to me. eBookwise does already have its own section. Adding it to the parent would imply that there are more eBookwise devices out there, now and in the future. I think that would be inappropriate given that its an abandoned product.

In North America, the eBookwise 1150 is available through commercial channels as well as ebay. I agree that from a manufacturing standpoint it is an "abandoned" unit, but from the point of view of actual ebook users, it's still a commercially viable product with an enormous resource behind it, Fictionwise.

I will support whatever you decide is better for this ebook community, but wanted to throw my "two cents worth" your way. :)

DaleDe
12-17-2008, 07:51 PM
There is no doubt that Jinkie will release new devices next year. We already know about the EZ Reader Plus and Pro (V3-like with WiFi and/or touchscreen), and presumably the V9 will finally see the light of day.

So a Jinkie Devices forum makes sense eventually. However, I think it would currently only include Hankin V3 since it isn't clear to me that BeBook should be a separate forum. Presumably it is separate based on volume of threads, but I can't imagine many of us wanting to read just one of BeBook and Hanlin V3.

I think a Jinke forum is the right way to go right now with EZ Reader and BeBook joining Hanlin in that group also with prefixes for the others. The expertise is the same and assistance and discussion are the same. The firmware is basically the same but when it is not the discussion belongs where it can be read by all.

DaleDe
12-17-2008, 07:52 PM
The OEM of the V3/Walkbook/EZReader/Bebook is Jinke.

and lBook.

Adam B.
12-17-2008, 08:45 PM
I'm not sure about the iRex section...

Software releases and development for both devices are very different and aren't compatible. I think it could be very confusing if someone doesn't know that...

Alexander Turcic
12-18-2008, 03:14 AM
I'm not sure about the iRex section...

Software releases and development for both devices are very different and aren't compatible. I think it could be very confusing if someone doesn't know that...

Would thread prefixes help to avoid the potential confusion?

T-bag
12-18-2008, 03:30 AM
I agree with the classification, but leave Jinke under the other device does not seem appropriate. Since 1999, Jinke began to devote itself to develop and manufacture eReading device. So far Jinke sold more than 500K of the reader device (include OEM /non-EINK product), maybe jinke is the best eReading device seller. My suggestion is classify them as Jinke Devices,

Jinke Devices

* Hanlin V3
* OEM (LBook/Bebook/EZReader/Papyre/Walkbook/Digibook)
* Accessories
* Contents
* Software Releases
* Developer Corner

carandol
12-18-2008, 07:34 AM
I think the Jinke devices should have their own section too. It should also have (I think) an "also known as..." line on the main Forum page, with a list of all the clones, since when you buy (for instance) a Bebook, there's nothing in the manual or on the web site that tells you it's a Jinke clone, and a casual browser may look at the site quickly, see no reference to their particular V3 clone, and think there's nothing here for them.

beachwanderer
12-18-2008, 08:15 AM
I do very much agree with T-bag but see candarols point. There should be a way in which a swift glance for bebook etc. leads to the right place - Jinke info.

-Thomas-
12-18-2008, 08:39 AM
I agree with Adam about the iRex development section: Development for the devices is too different, and the iLiad OS developers will need their own place for discussions etc.
Would thread prefixes help to avoid the potential confusion?
Hmm, thread prefixes would only make it hard to find out relevant threads for users of either device. I don't think there will be many overlapping discussions between the two reader's users, especially when it comes to development.

Professor
12-18-2008, 11:10 AM
I do not think Hanlin eBook should be in the 'other devices'. My eBook is Hanlin V3, some of my friends and colleagues use Hanlin V3 as well. Jinke Hanlin has become a famous brand, so it should be listed independently!

DaleDe
12-18-2008, 11:23 AM
While it is not specific to the eBook Devices section I would like to see a General eBook forum in the General eBook section. Currently some eBook topics end up in the Lounge or even here in feedback. People just don't know where to post some things and a general catch-all would be useful.

Dale

KindleDude
12-18-2008, 12:19 PM
Don't forget to reserve a place for the Plastic Logic reader that's coming in 2009. Pretty sure it's going to be a big thing.

http://www.plasticlogic.com/product.html

I second. I was about to make the same comment. with an 81/2 x 11 form factor, it will be able to publish newspapers and magazines in their original format; it's supposed to have wireless connectivity like the Kindle; handle .pdf and other popular formats; and it's extremely thin. If its price is reasonable, it could be a game-changer (although it's always hard to predict these things).

Alexander Turcic
12-18-2008, 12:22 PM
While it is not specific to the eBook Devices section...

Please let's focus on e-book devices in this discussion. We have other parts that will need to be reorganized, but I intend to do it step by step. ;)

igorsk
12-18-2008, 01:23 PM
I second. I was about to make the same comment. with an 81/2 x 11 form factor, it will be able to publish newspapers and magazines in their original format; it's supposed to have wireless connectivity like the Kindle; handle .pdf and other popular formats; and it's extremely thin. If its price is reasonable, it could be a game-changer (although it's always hard to predict these things).
Let's count the chickens after they hatch. So far there's no indication that we'll see Plastic Logic device released any time soon.

zelda_pinwheel
12-18-2008, 01:24 PM
Let's count the chickens after they hatch. So far there's no indication that we'll see Plastic Logic device released any time soon.

sorry igorsk, this thread is about the device forums. chicken reorganisation will come later. :snicker:

lexico
12-18-2008, 04:55 PM
In anticipation of new e-book readers emerging in 2009 (*fingers crossed*), we're considering reorganizing the forum structure for the e-book devices. The suggestion is that we move "out" of the "E-Book Devices" section and sort the device sections by vendor. Before we do so, I would like get as much feedback as possible. Thank you.

A restructuring sounds a good idea ... but is reorganizing 'by vendor' the right thing to do? Surely this will simply encourage people to separate out into groups that use some device from some particular vendor and they will then ignore what's going on in the rest of the world.

Mobileread's great attraction and 'brand' is that it is vendor-independent, giving honest opinions and comparisons across the spectrum of mobile readers. Encouraging the separation of all those great contributors into 'tribes' based on what devices they currently use is surely not going to improve this site -- or the industry.

I'd suggest some other split ... it could be 'by screen resolution', or 'devices with WiFi', or 'those with GSM access' ... etc. That way, discussions would be based on the features that people care about, not on who makes [designs, outsources, markets] a particular brand or machine.

lex

Alexander Turcic
12-18-2008, 06:06 PM
A restructuring sounds a good idea ... but is reorganizing 'by vendor' the right thing to do? Surely this will simply encourage people to separate out into groups that use some device from some particular vendor and they will then ignore what's going on in the rest of the world.

Interesting thought. Do others agree? Because the vendor distinction only applies to the "hardware" area of MR, I thought the risk of separating our members by sorting by vendor would be rather small. Essentially we are doing this already, only that currently all devices are sorted in the same parent forum section.

Sorting by feature could work if we assume that e-book devices do and will essentially differ from each other.

DaleDe
12-18-2008, 07:20 PM
Please let's focus on e-book devices in this discussion. We have other parts that will need to be reorganized, but I intend to do it step by step. ;)

Sorry, but I sometimes get lost in the trees if I don't know about the forest. It helps to have a big picture sometimes.

Dale

DaleDe
12-18-2008, 07:23 PM
Interesting thought. Do others agree? Because the vendor distinction only applies to the "hardware" area of MR, I thought the risk of separating our members by sorting by vendor would be rather small. Essentially we are doing this already, only that currently all devices are sorted in the same parent forum section.

Sorting by feature could work if we assume that e-book devices do and will essentially differ from each other.

I personally think we have forums available for generalized discussion and we need to continue to do that but when someone needs help they need to turn to a group of experts on their product not a message from someone saying you should have bought a different brand.

Dale

Nate the great
12-18-2008, 07:30 PM

I think the device area should be divided by vendor. The exception would be the PDA forum, which will include Palm, PocketPC, WinCE.

Gaurnim
12-19-2008, 05:27 AM
Interesting thought. Do others agree? Because the vendor distinction only applies to the "hardware" area of MR, I thought the risk of separating our members by sorting by vendor would be rather small.
I think that we should keep the division by device.
It really helps the people that are only interested in one device (and I think they are the silent majority) find out where to look for info and where to ask for help.
Separating by feature is an interesting way of looking at this question, but I fear that it would confuse the users and increase the workload for the moderators, that would have to sort the incorrectly placed threads in the correct sub-forums.

bill_mchale
12-19-2008, 12:32 PM
Just a few thoughts...

1. I Like the grouping by vendor. Even if the Iliad and the Digital Reader are very different devices, it will ultimately make it easier to find them if they are grouped together. Likewise for Sony.

2. To a certain extent though, I think a device needs to reach a certain threshold of activity before it gets separated into its own category and maybe even forum. In terms of threads, only 4 of the 11 current device specific forums (12 if you include the Apple iPod Touch/iPhone) exceed 500 threads, likewise, these are also the only device specific forums that have exceeded 10,000 posts (None of the others have come even close) ; to my mind, it just makes sense to separate out those into their own category simply because they have so much activity.

As for the rest, I don't think it will be that hard for users to find the ebookwise, or the Hanlin, or the Jetbook, by having forums dedicated to them under other devices.

My personal thought would be to have a Sony Category, a Kindle Category, an Irex Category,. a Bookeen Category, and other devices category and keep the "Which one should I buy forum" as a separate category. In addition, it might be use to include links to format conversions that might be relevant to the device (if possible in the forum software)... So in the Sony Category, include a link to the ePub and the LRF forums.

--
Bill

cjp
12-19-2008, 03:04 PM
Your proposed restructure looks very good - user friendly!

nrapallo
12-19-2008, 03:45 PM
:eek: Food for thought. ;)

I'm not proposing this be the way to re-organize the forum, but, in case this "strikes" a chord with a lot of people, I put this out there to think about. :chinscratch:

How about collapsing the E-Books Formats and E-Book Uploads forums into each respective E-Book Devices parent forum, as follows:Sony E-Book Devices

* Sony PRS-700
* Sony PRS-505/500 ( merge "Troubleshooting" )
* Accessories
* Developer Corner
* E-Book Formats (merge "Content" )
. * ePub
. * PDF
. * LRF
* E-Book Uploads
. * ePub
. * PDF
. * LRF

iRex E-Book Devices

* iRex Digital Reader
* iRex iLiad ( merge "Troubleshooting" )
* Accessories
* Software Releases
* Developer Corner
. * Mobi/PRC
* E-Book Uploads
. * Mobi/PRC

Amazon E-Book Devices

* Amazon Kindle ( merge "Troubleshooting" )
* Accessories
* Developer Corner
. * Mobi/PRC
* E-Book Uploads
. * Mobi/PRC

Bookeen E-Book Devices

* Bookeen Cybook Gen 3 ( merge "Troubleshooting" )
* Accessories
* Developer Corner
. * Mobi/PRC
* E-Book Uploads
. * Mobi/PRC

eBookwise E-Book Devices

* eBookwise 1150/REB 1200
* Accessories
* Developer Corner
* E-Book Formats
. * IMP
* E-Book Uploads
. * IMP

Jinke E-Book Devices

* OEM/HanLin eBook/BeBook ereaderV3/Walkbook/EZReader
* Accessories
* Developer Corner
* E-Book Formats
. * Mobi/PRC
* E-Book Uploads
. * Mobi/PRC

Other E-Book Devices

* Which one should I buy?
* Apple iPhone
* PDA/PPC Devices
* eREAD STAReBOOK
* Polymer Vision Readius
* Legacy Devices
* Others
* E-Book Formats
. * Other Formats
* E-Book Uploads
. * Other Books

Then collapse the Formats/Uploads remaining subforums into the E-Book General and E-Book Software like:
E-Book General

* E-Book Formats - General/Help
* E-Book Uploads - General/Help

E-Book Software

* E-Book Formats - Workshop

The reasoning here is that most will come to mobileread.com with a Vendor's device specific need, so each major device should have it's own parent forum. Then should that device's ebooks be sought, in that device's forum would be the E-Books Upload forum as well as the major E-Book Formats it supports.

Obviously, the Mobi/PRC Uploads section would be the same for the iRex/Amazon/Bookeen Devices and just be links to the same sub-forum.

In the end, there would be only these main top-level forums (obviously with their subforums): E-Book General
E-Book Software
Sony E-Book Devices
iRex E-Book Devices
Amazon E-Book Devices
Bookeen E-Book Devices
eBookwise E-Book Devices
Jinke E-Book Devices
Other E-Book Devices
Non-English Discussions
Miscellaneous

A different view of what's needed or heresy :alright: :dunno:

TadW
12-19-2008, 05:36 PM
Nick, wouldn't your suggestion - which includes even separating format discussions - lead to the "danger" described by lexico? To lure away community members by sticking them to their respective device sections?

nrapallo
12-19-2008, 06:32 PM
Nick, wouldn't your suggestion - which includes even separating format discussions - lead to the "danger" described by lexico? To lure away community members by sticking them to their respective device sections?

I, for one, would not want to be "segregationalist", but rather point out that users come here for *their* device (and not for the greater good of unity amongst devices).

I do promote and will continue to support the idea of cross-platform unity/development, but don't necessarily think the forum structure (in its current or proposed form) needs to mirror that.

I'm just trying to think "out of the box" here so please don't take my idea or replies as trying to win support for this (radical) idea.

Just shaking the tree to see what falls out... :grin2:

theodoron
12-20-2008, 01:24 PM
I thin restructuring the forum is a great idea. As I am in some other forums (cruise critic for one), they have structured the forum by cruise lines and that seems to be helpful. I think continuing to have general discussion forums (as many have stated on this thread) is a great idea. Thanks for allowing us input.

-Thomas-
12-20-2008, 10:55 PM
Thanks for allowing us input.
You have to get accustomed to that as it's usual for this community :thumbsup:

Kris777
12-21-2008, 01:12 PM

Can we add jetBook section?

Alexander Turcic
12-21-2008, 06:34 PM
Thanks for all your input so far! Let me recap where we stand right now.

In general, most of us agree that it's a good idea to sort by vendor and to make each vendor a main category of our community (rather than placing devices under "E-Book Devices").

It was suggested that we keep vendor-independence a main feature of MobileRead; that is, we shouldn't try to separate our members if it can be avoided. I think this is very important so let's keep this in mind while we are having the reorganization. Important: Let's only separate where it makes absolute sense.

One difficult question we have to ask ourselves is as to when a vendor would qualify for its own main category. Sony, Amazon, iRex, and Bookeen are obvious cases. Not as obvious is eBookwise, which, although no longer actively developed, still enjoys much popularity among our members. Then there are vendors like Plastic Logic, from which we expect great things to come, but that's all in the future. Someone suggested that we should look at the level of activity as depicted by the number of posts or threads, and judge from there. Others argue that activity for a particular device may increase just by giving it more visible attention (by putting it under its own main category).

It was suggested to split the existing Sony PRS 505/500 forum into two forums and place them both under the Sony vendor main category. I personally have my doubts about the usefulness of this, given that the 500 has been officially superseded and that the extra amount of work it takes to sort them out may just as well be used for something that is more future-oriented, but I understand why a separation could still make sense (after all, there are plenty of 500 owners out there).

Similarly, it was suggested to split the software and development sections for the iRex iLiad and the iRex Digital Reader, since both are completely independent and unrelated devices. Here, too, a splitting of the existing software and development section would require some extra work. :o

Another important topic is how to deal with OEM devices, where software is the distinguishing factor. I was told that Jinke is the main company behind those devices, so it may make sense to make Jinke as a vendor a main category of our forum and to put its OEM devices underneath it. As for the OEM devices, we may either use a single forum (with thread prefixes for the different vendors), or use individual forums, in particular if a device is to receive more attention.

:chinscratch:

Nate the great
12-21-2008, 06:53 PM
Can we add jetBook section?

It would probably be best under "Other Devices".

Also, we should also have a forum for the Foxit eSlick under "Other Devices".

lightninga
12-22-2008, 11:03 AM
I agree with professor and T-bag. Jinke is a successful ebook manufacturer, and Hanlin is a famous brand. My ebook is Hanlin V3. I support Jinke Hanlin, because it is becoming the most professional ebook company!

Gaurnim
12-24-2008, 07:42 AM
How about collapsing the E-Books Formats and E-Book Uploads forums into each respective E-Book Devices parent forum
I think nrapallo has an interesting idea here.

I hadn't understood it correctly at first, thinking that he wanted to separate the format discussion even among devices that use the same format.
But he only proposes to have these format sections under the devices as links, which would point to the *standard* format sections.

So this wouldn't confine the users in their respective device forum, it would allow them to quickly access the formats related to their device.

Nate the great
03-22-2009, 11:49 AM
I really like how the Forums were reorganized.