Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 12-13-2008, 04:30 AM   #1
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
Remove PDF DRM

I have recently bought 2 books from Fictionwise which are PDF with DRM.

Firstly, I seem only to be able to open them in ADE and then when I try to print I am told that I can only print 90 pages (was going to print to pdf).

Normally I wouldn't mind, but when opening on my Sony 505, the text is too small. When I make it bigger, it loses the nice formatting.

I have looked around but found no real answer as to how I may be able to remove the DRM. I have tried a demo of copistar, but this doesn't seem convert to text meaning I couldn't get it to a better format.

So, any advice on how I can get the file to a better format? Being that the 2 books I have bought run into around 600 pages each, I don't want to be doing a load of manual work so anything automated would be great.

Is there a format that I should be buying to make my own life easier? As previously mentioned, I have a sony 505.

I have also bought epub which looks great on my 505 although there are some things I wanted to change but can't due to DRM. I can live with that though.

With the PDF files, it is much harder for me to 'deal' with the problems.

Many thanks in advance.
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 04:56 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The Adobe DRM has not been cracked, and you have already tried the only ways I am aware of for extracting the contents (printing, if allowed, and screenshots automated via copistar).

The DRM of three popular formats (MOBI, LIT, eReader) has been cracked, and Calibre will format shift DRM-free ebooks in any of these formats to ePub (or LRF). Of these, LIT is the closest to ePub and is what I would recommend if you have a Windows PC (MS Reader and Internet Explorer are required to buy LIT ebooks).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2008, 05:18 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The DRM of three popular formats (MOBI, LIT, eReader) has been cracked,
With respect, the DRM has not been "cracked" - that would imply the ability to remove DRM without knowing the encryption key, and that hasn't happened.

What has happened with these three formats is that, given a known encryption key (eg the PID for a Mobi file), the action of the legitimate reader for the formats has been "reverse engineered", allowing tools to be written which produce a DRM-free version of the file. The key point is, though, that in order for this to be done, the encryption key has to be known.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 05:50 AM   #4
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Is there any software similar to copistar that will read to a text format? Seems that copistar is an image. Alternatively, is there any software that can read a pdf containing images and convert to text (similar to a scanner but from screen)
Old 12-13-2008, 05:58 AM   #5
stalker4
stalker4 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Copistar creates a pdf ... or at least the purchased version does
stalker4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2008, 05:59 AM   #6
PieOPah
Addict

Yeah, I know copistar creates a PDF however the contents of the PDF aren't in text format (at least not in the demom version). As a result, I can't convert it to a preferable format.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:07 AM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
If it works by taking "screenshots", it cannot see text, it can only see the "image" that's on the screen. But I guess nothing prevents you to process the resulting image with an OCR software, to convert the images into text.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 06:43 AM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
With respect, the DRM has not been "cracked" - that would imply the ability to remove DRM without knowing the encryption key, and that hasn't happened.

What has happened with these three formats is that, given a known encryption key (eg the PID for a Mobi file), the action of the legitimate reader for the formats has been "reverse engineered", allowing tools to be written which produce a DRM-free version of the file. The key point is, though, that in order for this to be done, the encryption key has to be known.
The term "cracked" has been commonly used for defeating DRM systems by whatever means. For example, DeCSS was said to "crack" CSS DVDs even though it was essentially "reverse engineered" DVD player software including the player key necessary for decryption. The encryption used in that case was so weak that it actually was cracked in the stronger sense, but only after DeCSS was available.

I would describe the external keys required by ebook DRM schemes as much more like public keys than private keys. You need the key for decryption, but on its own it isn't sufficient for decryption and it isn't a secret. The private keys are inside the reader software, and these are necessarily included in any DeDRM software as well. This is the sense that ebook DRM removing software "cracks" the DRM encryption.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 10:26 AM   #9
PieOPah
Addict

Well, I Have bought copistar and 'read' the first book (664 pages) which has left me with a 237Mb pdf. I am now running this through ABBYY FineReader in the hope that it will convert it successfully to text. If not then it is a lesson learned!
Old 12-13-2008, 10:41 AM   #10
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Hmm. I think I would disagree with you. DRM does mean "digital rights management" -- software enforcing restrictions placed on content by the copyright holder. This only works if the content operates purely within a sandbox which recognizes these restrictions, which means that a DRM system must keep the content within the sandbox in order to work. Figuring out how to "release" the content from the sandbox circumvents the purpose of the DRM, and to my mind constitutes a "crack" in the system.

EDIT: Note to self -- read entire thread before replying. Apologies for repeating what others already said.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:12 PM   #11
owl123
Addict
owl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy NotePro 12.2, InkBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieOPah View Post
Well, I Have bought copistar and 'read' the first book (664 pages) which has left me with a 237Mb pdf. I am now running this through ABBYY FineReader in the hope that it will convert it successfully to text. If not then it is a lesson learned!
If you have Adobe Acrobat then do use Adobe's OCR engine and be sure to select "ClearScan" option. It'll make you file much more readable and much smaller -- I'm getting 8-15 mb on average.
owl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:54 AM   #12
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
Darn, so is that any update to cracking Adobe's DRM in their Digital Editions? I assume Digital Editions is some form of PDF? I have no clue.

So, anyone able to crack Adobe's DRM mechanism for Digital Editions?
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 02:01 AM   #13
PieOPah
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thibaulthalpern View Post
So, anyone able to crack Adobe's DRM mechanism for Digital Editions?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40238 - PDF
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39423 - EPUB

I have only tried the EPUB and this works perfectly
Old 08-12-2010, 10:17 PM   #14
maddog613
maddog613 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
This is a good site for the epub DRM issue.
http://www.tvlesson.com/video/42559_...ur-kindle.html
Once you do have DRM removed from the books the following tool is very good for converting.
http://calibre-ebook.com
maddog613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:36 AM   #15
N13L5
tenjooberrymuds
N13L5 began at the beginning.

Device: Android
PDF is probably the most annoying format to have DRM'd, since it won't reflow..

Of course its not like you can find a LIT reader for Symbian either, I gotta get rid of this phone

Either way, I'm just posting cause I saw this hilarious news on Ars Technica; that the Adobe "ADEPT" DRM had been defeated with a tool called INEPT, adding insult to injury...

I wonder how the DRM team at Adobe feels about that one

Who knows, maybe they're happy cause they get another couple of years of employment to make a new DRM system?
N13L5 is offline   Reply With Quote