View Full Version : Bookdesigner: Which fontsizes, margins,settings when converting to LRF?

ProDigit
11-22-2008, 04:00 PM
Hi,
I'm new to book designer,and I'm trying out my first conversion.
Which fontsize/word spacing/margins do you prefer?

I found from letters I could perfectly read 8pt on my Sony Reader, however the text becomes too heavy, and you're really looking at a black screen decreasing the fontsize as small as that I found.

The standard wordspacing is fine for me.

I found no problems using no margin on top/bottom, and use 5pt margin left and right instead.
The reason being that on top Book Designer has the book title typed, and on the bottom there's the small battery/page bar.
The standard 10pt borders for left/right I found too wide, and prefer 5pt.

Anyone has any other non-custom settings with the program?

I think perhaps it does not matter much to which format you save, since I suspect with the same settings a mobi format will look the same as a lrf format (the text) in their 800x600 screen devices...?

Also,do you change anything on the picture when inserting a front cover?

*Edit: I've also changed the colors to a 5color gray mode (Black, dark grey,grey,light grey, white),or do you think it's better to leave all text in plain black?*

RWood
11-24-2008, 11:14 PM
I suspect that you have already found Jon's thread about installing the original BookDesigner 4 files and then unzipping the update in the same folder. Plus there is another thread about BookCleaner that adds a few features. Also, checkout the Book Designer best practices in the MobileRead Wiki. (http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Book_Designer)

The best guide for creating great books with BookDesigner is HarryT's Guide. I'm not sure where it is posted in the forum so I am enclosing a copy with this post.

I generally keep the paragraph setting at 11 pt Dutch with the Title at 12 point Swiss. I use 10 px margins for the left and right. Your mileage may vary.

Good luck and keep us informed as to your progress.

JSWolf
11-25-2008, 07:42 PM
I personally prefer 10 point base font, 0 margins all around and a wordspace of 13. This give good overall pages without any really wasted space.